Braves to get Justin Upton from D-Backs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Braves to get Justin Upton from D-Backs

Source: Braves get Justin Upton and Chris Johnson from D-backs for Prado, Delgado, Ahmed and Spruill.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Braves to get Justin Upton from D-Backs

Call up the braves maybe they will flip him for Ellsbury.

^ ^ ^ ^  ^ 

That was sarcasm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like the Upton Boys are finally together...That should be interesting.

One great thing is the Soft one will now be stifled on his ridiculous J Upton trade proposals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

So, the two Upton brothers and Jason Heyward in the ATL outfield.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You had to feel when Upton rejected a trade to Seattle he was trying to force his way to the Braves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

One great thing is the Soft one will now be stifled on his ridiculous J Upton trade proposals.

And now let the neverending "Let's go get Giancarlo Stanton" saga take its place in the long tradition of J. Upton, King Felix, A-Gon, Halladay, etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Please see "Justin Upton Declines Trade to Seattle" thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we could have given more than what the Braves offered.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I was just going to say, One less thing for stiffy to rant about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Alas, the only thing more insufferable-unending-rant-worthy for Softy than a move he thinks the Sox SHOULD make is one he thinks the Sox SHOULD HAVE made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It looks like Atlanta did not give up too much for Upton.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Alas, the only thing more insufferable-unending-rant-worthy for Softy than a move he thinks the Sox SHOULD make is one he thinks the Sox SHOULD HAVE made.

One interesting thing about stiffy is that when the Sox actually make a move he was advocating, like extending Papi for 2 years, it then becomes a bad move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

opportunity lost

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One interesting thing about stiffy is that when the Sox actually make a move he was advocating, like extending Papi for 2 years, it then becomes a bad move.

Not really getting the new 'stiffy' tag.  For me, and I think most guys, a stiffy is better than a softy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Unless the Sox wanted to give up Middlebrooks it was unlikely they could have offered a similar package.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I wouldn't say that.  Prado is a career .300 hitter with a career .360 OBP that plays 4 different positions, the others are very solid pitching and infield prospects.  I'm sure people will say that we could have given up Els, and a few prospects other than Xander and Bradley......face it..it's not true.  Arizona is not in need of a CF and Els would not be coming back...plus sorry to say it...Prado is better than Els.  Sure if Els is healthy...it's a different story, but that fact is, he's rarely healthy and other teams know this.  The only way we could have gotten Upton is if we gave them Doubront, Xander, Webster and RDLR (or an equivelent deal) I would NOT do that deal.  We have some GREAT looking prospects that will be ready to contribute.  While I would have liked Upton...I'm not giving up potential future cornerstones for a malontent who has not shown improvement in the last few years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You had to feel when Upton rejected a trade to Seattle he was trying to force his way to the Braves.

Bingo...but let the "we could've had him," "Ben didn't try" posts run wild.  Not to mention the fact that Upton hates cold weather...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Unless the Sox wanted to give up Middlebrooks it was unlikely they could have offered a similar package.

A somewhat roughly similar package from Boston would have looked like this:

Saltalamacchia (instead of Prado...useful player a year from FA...obviously not quite as valuable as Prado, but no Chris Johnson in return here either)

Rubby de la Rosa (virtually the same in every way value wise to Randall Delgado)

Anthony Ranaudo (#6 Sox prospect, similar profile to #6 Braves prospect Zeke Spruill)

Jose Iglesias (#10 Sox prospect, replaces his near equivalent in #10 Braves prospect Nick Ahmed)

Kolbrin Vitek (#12 Sox prospect, replaces #13 Braves prospect Brandon Drury...Vitek is older, but has a much better pedigree, and is more versatile).

Obviously the matches aren't perfect, but I'm surprised by how similar everyone matches up here. Assuming that the value lost to the DBacks in getting Salty instead of Prado is made up by the Sox not getting Chris Johnson in return and from the value upgrade of Vitek over Drury, and you have an almost clone deal here.

It's worth noting that the Sox have a better list of top prospects than the Braves do, but the players mentioned above still match up nicely. Assuming that the DBacks would want the Sox package to be better than the Braves one (and remember, Upton could reject any deal to Boston if he wanted), then a Sox package might have had to look like this: Salty, Allen Webster, Ranaudo, Vitek, Deven Marrero. Not crazy expensive, but still pretty substantial.

*note: all rankings cited from http://tigers.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/. Obviously rankings are very subjective, so I aimed to make sure the prospects matched up by profile, and not just blindly by rank

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think we could have given more than what the Braves offered.

I think we COULD have, but the question is whether we SHOULD have.  And to that, I say no.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

redsoxdirtdog started it, as he thinks softlaw is a closet case. I liked it so I've been using it.

OK, now I get it.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Braves send low quality quantity for J. Upton (and they get back 3B Chris Johnson), who is better than any OF farm pipe dream. 

Rendall Del Gado BA "B+ Sickels+ 2013 92.2 IP 1.414 WHIP >= Webster "B Sickels"  P 

Prado <or= Ellsbury    Both FA 2014    OF/UIF 

Ahmed "farm scrap D rated Sickels" <or=  Holt  UIF 

Drury "B minus farm Sickels" <or= Cecchini   "B farm Sickels"   3B

Spruill "B minus frm Sickels" <or= Wilson "B minus Sickels"   P     

Needless to say, price was cheap for J. Upton and Red Sox easily trump Braves without trading Bogaerts, Barnes or Bradley, Jr.

My trade pool for J. Upton was:

Ellsbury

Brentz  (likely not needed)

Webster or De La Rosa

One more from any farm hand except Barnes, Bradley, Jr. and Bogaerts

Cherry could have gotten the deal approved, with or without Braves et al as a third team, and had J. Upton agree to waive the "leverage for extension no-trade to likely big market trade teams" by putting a 5 year 85M extension after his current contract end in 2015

J. Upton 2013  9.5M (fits perfectly net zero with Ellsbury off books)   Age 25

2014  14.25M   2015 14.5M   (Base ~12M and 38.25M is Less than Shane's 39M)

2016  17M 2017 17M 2018 17M 2019 17M 2020 17M  Age 32 off books 

So far, the incomptent Cherry still has Ellsbury and Shane and 23 million on the 2013 books, and nothing but pipe dreams for 2013 and beyond.

The Braves are one of the proven better managed organizations in baseball. The racist "clubhouse cancer" tag projected on J. Upton is false.

I can only hope the incomptent Cherry has a deal in place with the Braves, but that would be unlikely for a guy who pulls Shane out of dumpster for 39 million and is still sitting on his hands in fear of the backlash from pinkhats on trading Ellsbury who will be, thankfully, a liability elsewhere in a few more months. Cherry will tell the crying fans that "we made our best effort to sign Ellsbury as a FA but".

Not to worry, you'll still have Xander Bogaerts to hate. :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

If he vetoed a trade to Seattle why wouldn't he veto a trade to Boston?