Breaking News:Cubs ask permission to speak to Epstein-Do you want Epstein to stay?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Breaking News:Cubs ask permission to speak to Epstein-Do you want Epstein to stay?

We all knew this was coming! What does Theo want & will the Sox let him out of his contract a year early if he is interested?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac33. Show pinstripezac33's posts

Re: Breaking News:Cubs ask permission to speak to Epstein-Do you want Epstein to stay?

In Response to Re: Breaking News:Cubs ask permission to speak to Epstein-Do you want Epstein to stay?:
    [QUOTE]We all knew this was coming! What does Theo want & will the Sox let him out of his contract a year early if he is interested?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

don't you have to let him go if he wants to

unless you make him a scout or something for a yr

I just don't see wanting a guy in a big job like that

unless he's  '' all in ''

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I could see Theo being tempted to go to Chicago, and my guess is he'd bring Francona with him. Can you imagine if they got lucky and ended the curse there in Chitown? Won it all?! Ended to century long curses within a 10yr span?! Cut it out!!! They would become baseball legends for all time. The good news is rumor has it Larussa has an eye on Chicago. If Theo jumps and takes Terry with him, it closes that door and opens things up for Larussa to come to Boston. Hmmm....the possibilities! As for would I be happy if Theo left, I'd honestly have mixed emotions. Like the guy, appreciate the good he's done, HATE the reluctance to hear others voice and lack of humility. I'd wish him well and still think he could grow into a good GM. But he's not there yet IMO...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The question is who was responsible for his big free agent signings. If you look at the list below, even though Crawford and Lackey have years remaining, I don't see one good one on the list:

1. Renteria
    2. Lugo
    3. Drew
    4. Lackey
    5. Crawford
    6. Clement

You could include Ortiz as a good one, but he was more of a non-tendered. He seems to have struck out most of the time. However, I believe some of them were dictated by upper level management.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Francona was a free agent signing of Epsteins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

theo is good at bringing up home grown talent like ellsbury,pedroia, youkilis, papelbon, lester, bard..etc.. but not very good at anything else

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac33. Show pinstripezac33's posts

I could see Theo being tempted to go to Chicago,
    and my guess is he'd bring Francona with him. Can you imagine if they got lucky and ended the curse there in Chitown? Won it all?! Ended to century long curses within a 10yr span?! Cut it out!!! They would become baseball legends for all time.

no doubt, but how sure are you that

tito wants to work with theo right now

FWIW, Larussa was quoted  as saying cards or no one

which doesn't make much sense heading into contract talks

The good news is rumor has it Larussa has an eye on Chicago. If Theo jumps and takes Terry with him, it closes that door and opens things up for Larussa to come to Boston. Hmmm....the possibilities! As for would I be happy if Theo left, I'd honestly have mixed emotions. Like the guy, appreciate the good he's done, HATE the reluctance to hear others voice and lack of humility. I'd wish him well and still think he could grow into a good GM. But he's not there yet IMO...
    Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Let him go. Send along Lackey and Ortiz too. Theo is not going to fix the SOX in one year. So, let him go try and fix the cubs. And his first job as Cubs GM would be hiring Francona.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Epstein is a joke. He had no baseball background and got in the business off of his father's entertainment background and relationship with Werner.

Pray the Cubs are stupid enough to take INEpstein's final contract year.

I imagine Luchino and Henry are euphoric and will send the Cubs a gift in addition to granting them the blessing to get rid of the #1 problem for the Red Sox. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade:
     Theo, Crawford ($122M/6), Jenks ($6M/1), Lackey ($46M/3), Lowrie, McDonald, Miller & Wheeler (if they want the $3M options)
    for: 
    Dempster ($14M/1), Zambrano ($19M/1) & Soriano ($57M/3)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking News:Cubs ask permission to speak to Epstein-Do you want Epstein to stay?:
    [QUOTE]Trade:  Theo, Crawford ($122M/6), Jenks ($6M/1), Lackey ($46M/3), Lowrie, McDonald, Miller & Wheeler (if they want the $3M options) for:  Dempster ($14M/1), Zambrano ($19M/1) & Soriano ($57M/3)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] if epstein went along with that trade the very first thng the cubs should do is fire epstein before he's even hired

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Once again, Youkilis was brought into the system under Dan Duquette.
    That means Epstein only had developed two position players as starters in his time. BFD.
    Lester Papelbon and Bard. Three pitchers. BFD
    We're talking what, nine years, five whole players, and I'm not sure about Bard. The elephant labored and brought forth a mouse.
    Too many overblown prospects like Lars Anderson, Bowden, Tazawa, Reddick,
    Weiland, et al.
    Also not one of the guys traded for AGon are ready any time soon. Rizzo clearly needs more seasoning, and the rest are very far away, if ever, from being major leaguers.
    Now in less time, the Rays developed loads of starting pitchers, Longoria, Zobrist, Upton, Crawford (barf) and Jennings.
    Theo is as big a myth as the Sox farm system.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe they should fire the owner for going after Theo in the first place.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe they should fire the owner for going after Theo in the first place.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Let's lynch Selig for blocking Frank McCourt and approving Henry's group. Let's bring back the Yawkey Trust, Harrington and Duquette and get Carl Everett out of retirement.

Gawd how these guys have messed up and 86 year losing tradition!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I'm definately not a Theo fan right now, however what the Sox need to do right away is communicate with the media and fans regarding Theo's status. Nothing can be done until the GM issue is resolved. And there are so many things to do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I don't let Theo go without compensation.  He has been a good GM.  No GM is perfect.  He is better than most.  If the cubs want Theo they need to pay for him.  While prospects are always good, making them swallow a somewhat lopsided trade might even be better.  Lackey straight up for Sorianno?  Straight up for Zambrano?  I personnally would not trade crawford yet, too soon to give up on him.  Theo, lackey and crawford for zambrano and soriano would certainly increase our financial flexibility for the next few years.  Don't give them Theo for free.  If you are getting something for free in this world, chances are you don't want it anyhow.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I could see Theo being tempted to go to Chicago, and my guess is he'd bring Francona with him. Can you imagine if they got lucky and ended the curse there in Chitown? Won it all?! Ended to century long curses within a 10yr span?! Cut it out!!! They would become baseball legends for all time. The good news is rumor has it Larussa has an eye on Chicago. If Theo jumps and takes Terry with him, it closes that door and opens things up for Larussa to come to Boston. Hmmm....the possibilities! As for would I be happy if Theo left, I'd honestly have mixed emotions. Like the guy, appreciate the good he's done, HATE the reluctance to hear others voice and lack of humility. I'd wish him well and still think he could grow into a good GM. But he's not there yet IMO...
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

If they both went to Chicago and won the World Series, they would both be sought after for many years.  It really would be quite an accomplishment for both of them.  I actually would like to see Chicago win the World Series soon.  They are long overdue to win the World Series again. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]Epstein is a joke. He had no baseball background and got in the business off of his father's entertainment background and relationship with Werner. Pray the Cubs are stupid enough to take INEpstein's final contract year. I imagine Luchino and Henry are euphoric and will send the Cubs a gift in addition to granting them the blessing to get rid of the #1 problem for the Red Sox. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Ding Ding Ding!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

When Theo took over the Red Sox were a 90 win 2nd place team, their worst contract, in Theo's mind, was 20 million a year to a LF who was 1 of the best 5 hitters of his generation. 

If Theo leaves he will be leaving a 90 win 3rd place team (2 years running), that has a 20 million a year LF who isn't 1 of the best 5 hitters on the team. 

Job well done Theo!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]When Theo took over the Red Sox were a 90 win 2nd place team, their worst contract, in Theo's mind, was 20 million a year to a LF who was 1 of the best 5 hitters of his generation.  If Theo leaves he will be leaving a 90 win 3rd place team (2 years running), that has a 20 million a year LF who isn't 1 of the best 5 hitters on the team.  Job well done Theo!
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox have DECLINED every season that Theo Epstein gained more power. The more control Theo got and the less control Lucchino (the actual GM) exercised, the farther away the Sox get from returning to the World Series.

Law predicted it perfectly.

2008 - No World Series
    2009 - No ALCS
    2010 - No ALDS wins
    2011 - No playoff appearance

This is all on Theo's watch as master GM of the Sox.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking News:Cubs ask permission to speak to Epstein-Do you want Epstein to stay? : Let's lynch Selig for blocking Frank McCourt and approving Henry's group. Let's bring back the Yawkey Trust, Harrington and Duquette and get Carl Everett out of retirement. Gawd how these guys have messed up and 86 year losing tradition!
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]I'd actually pay for a ticket to see Everett take on CHB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The question is not what the Cubs owe US for taking EPSTINK off our hands, but how much they will demand we pay THEM for doing so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]The question is not what the Cubs owe US for taking EPSTINK off our hands, but how much they will demand we pay THEM for doing so.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

For yours, and those like you, I hope he stays.  If people think he has not done a better than average job in keeping this team near the top for so many years I think they will get a rude awakening if he leave and an average GM takes over.  Theo is certainly above average, probably top 10.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking News:Cubs ask permission to speak to Epstein-Do you want Epstein to stay? : For yours, and those like you, I hope he stays.  If people think he has not done a better than average job in keeping this team near the top for so many years I think they will get a rude awakening if he leave and an average GM takes over.  Theo is certainly above average, probably top 10.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox have finished in 3rd place back to back years with a top 3 payroll.  That is the definition of 'below average' general managing. 

I love the irony though.  Theo got to Boston and just hated the Manny contract but he is going to leave with his LF owed Manny $$ for the next 6 years.  What a clown.