Breaking News:WEEI » This Just In » Report: Sox may allow Theo to talk to Cubs

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Re: Breaking News:WEEI » This Just In » Report: Sox may allow Theo to talk to Cubs

Interesting.  I wonder if they'll go internal with Cherington, hand it off to Lucchino, or go outside...

Thanks for the heads-up!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Breaking News:WEEI » This Just In » Report: Sox may allow Theo to talk to Cubs

I'm not impressed with Epstein. The '04 team was half-inherited from Duquette and two critical components of the '07 team were added during Epstein's hiatus.

If Epstein leaves, I see Allard Baird getting a chance at GM. He held the position for the low budget Kansas City Royals and did a nice job of drafting young talent. With an open wallet, there's no reason he couldn't excel in Boston. He's a good blend of old school and new school baseball. There's nothing arrogant about him either, which would be a nice change of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Sherman's take on what GMs not working for the RS think the Trio might do is breaking news. Really?

And BTW, Epstein would have to want to go and I doubt the RS release him without compensation from the Cubs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking News:WEEI » This Just In » Report: Sox may allow Theo to talk to Cubs:
    [QUOTE]Sherman's take on what GMs not working for the RS think the Trio might do is breaking news. Really? And BTW, Epstein would have to want to go and I doubt the RS release him without compensation from the Cubs.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I think the Red Sox would LOVE to see that good for nothing incompetent BUM leave the team. Not only are they allowing him to talk to the Cubs, they are probably insisting on it. Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me for the CUBS to ask for compensation from the Red Sox to take Epstein off their hands. His list of FA signings read like a bad grad B horror movie.
    Time to clean house.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i believed all along when the cubs/theo news first broke that it was likely...Theo gets more control, more money, a new challenge to add to his legacy, and rock star status in the windy city - even more so now that the Sox need to be blown up and started all over again - I mean does he really want to be associated with Lackey/Crawford/Becket's contract for the next few years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking News:WEEI » This Just In » Report: Sox may allow Theo to talk to Cubs:
    [QUOTE]i believed all along when the cubs/theo news first broke that it was likely...Theo gets more control, more money, a new challenge to add to his legacy, and rock star status in the windy city - even more so now that the Sox need to be blown up and started all over again - I mean does he really want to be associated with Lackey/Crawford/Becket's contract for the next few years?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]GOOD POST..... I WAS NEVER HIGH ON BECKET, OVERRATED, OVERPAID, & VERY UNDER PRODUCTIVE !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

...im sure theo saved a liferaft for himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]i believed all along when the cubs/theo news first broke that it was likely...Theo gets more control, more money, a new challenge to add to his legacy, and rock star status in the windy city - even more so now that the Sox need to be blown up and started all over again - I mean does he really want to be associated with Lackey/Crawford/Becket's contract for the next few years?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]Unless he wins it all in Chicago his long term legacy will not only be defined by two of those contracts (where you just added in Beckett from is beyond me) but by the collapse and that he made a mess and walked from it.

He'll have at best 5 years to get a Cubs franchise turned around that has no where near the talent this team has or the farm system. The biggest over reaction in this town is that the RS need to be blown up after an 89 win season where they lost 2 starting pitchers for so much of the season.

He may well bail for the extra power and money but it will be with risks to his long term legacy in baseball. It is a compelling offer for him however. But he has to pick it and the RS have to agree. If they make him honor his contract what is going to do?

Not try to make things right and ruin his chances of ever getting offered a gig like the Cubs again? And much of what needs to be done is what Epstein has done well, trade and Type B and non-tender signings. It is the Type A's where his luck has been so bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Where there's smoke there's fire.      Theo may want a new lease on life.  For the next few years he'll be under the microscope with Larry Lucchino constanly looking over his shoulder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

And BTW, Epstein would have to want to go and I doubt the RS release him without compensation from the Cubs.

Nonsense. The Red Sox should send a small gift check of appreciation if the Cubs are stupid enough to take an idiot off ownership hands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Maybe Theo can take Lackey with him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Let us all hold hands and pray...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Where there's smoke there's fire.      Theo may want a new lease on life.  For the next few years he'll be under the microscope with Larry Lucchino constanly looking over his shoulder.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]Maybe more aptly put, he will have Larry Lucchino sniping at him with great vigor in the executive suite. I don't think Henry and Werner let Lucchino really look over Epstein's shoulder since 2005.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Very important that ownership and upper management do an internal examination and improve upon the flaws manifest in Epstein. They need to hire an outside GM who has been working in a successful value front office for the last 5 years. I've already listed one name, but effectively firing Epstein is the most important step in the road to recovery.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Just what skills does Theo have that would make him attractive to any team? Still, getting rid of Theo has to be the very next move the Sox somehow make if there is any chance to start to rebuild this team.

I am sure many of us older fans who waited all our lives for our first WS win will be patient with the owners if it takes a few years for a new GM to undo all the damage Theo has done to our team.  Just get rid of him!!!

The best time for Theo to have been driven out of Boston was a few years ago......... The next best time is right now!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Love this type of reporting.

It's breaking news that the Sox MAY allow Epstein to interview.

They MAY have been considering last week...

...or last month.

I loved the one from Pats preseason, "A source familiar with the 'oatriot way' believes one or both of Ocho/Haynesworth COULD be gone by opening day!"

Garbage. Garbage isn't supposed to have legs either. It's no secret that the Cubs want Epstein, they said as much. If the Rays hadn't made it, the talk would be about THEIR GM.

Absolute garbage. Even if it turns out to be true, this original article is absolute cr@p.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

This is the best news I've heard come out of the Sox rumor mill in a long, long time!  It may take a year or two to climb back on top, but they will once Theo is gone.