Brentz injured in gun accident

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brentz injured in gun accident

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/02/09/bryce-brentz-suffered-injury-in-gun-accident/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Brentz injured in gun accident

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I hae no problem with people owning guns, but if you wind up shooting yourself, like the guy on the NYG's, it is entirely possible that you aren't among those that should own a gun.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/02/09/bryce-brentz-suffered-injury-in-gun-accident/

I hae no problem with people owning guns, but if you wind up shooting yourself, like the guy on the NYG's, it is entirely possible that you aren't among those that should own a gun.

Yeah, cleaning a loaded gun isnt the smartest thing. Although he seemed somewhat secretive about something. kinda like he wasnt telling the whole story.

Ive always said he has a lot of BB smarts, apparently not a ton of common sense...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Seriously, how do you not check to see if a gun is loaded before you clean it? For one thing, you can't see if the barrel's clean with a round in the chamber. That is beyond dumb, to quote my favorite poster...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

It did sound odd!  BUT ,...  I think it was likely due to the sheer embarrassment over cleaning a LOADED GUN!  Are you kidding me???  I agree with having NO PROBLEM with gun ownership, but stupid people need to have their second amendment rights limited!  :)

Yeah, cleaning a loaded gun isnt the smartest thing. Although he seemed somewhat secretive about something. kinda like he wasnt telling the whole story.

Ive always said he has a lot of BB smarts, apparently not a ton of common sense...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Seriously, how do you not check to see if a gun is loaded before you clean it? For one thing, you can't see if the barrel's clean with a round in the chamber. That is beyond dumb, to quote my favorite poster...

The fact of the matter is that athletes are not hired because they are Rhodes scholars. There are a few very intelligent ones out there, but in general they are not focused on improving their brainpower.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He did go to middle tennessee state university or some other tiny little school with an average SAT score of 450 to get in. Just an estimate. It didn't attract a lot of my time when studying college options. It doesn't mean he can't make it in baseball but he is probably not a mensa candidate.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

He did go to middle tennessee state university or some other tiny little school with an average SAT score of 450 to get in. Just an estimate. It didn't attract a lot of my time when studying college options. It doesn't mean he can't make it in baseball but he is probably not a mensa candidate.

exactly...As long as hes baseball smart thats all that matters I guess...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Brentz is not a very bright young man. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Going to be a while before you see this kid. Muscle torn, surgery to repair it, probably rehab and all. Complete stupidity in not checking to see the gun was not loaded to clean it. This kid is going to be out of action a while, remember Plaxico Burress on the Giants.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

As a group baseball players are not very highly educated, though I am not sure that always equates with intelligence. Apparently Craig Breslow has degrees in molecular biophysics and biochemistry from Yale, but he is an exception. Ross Ohlendorf went to Princeton and majored in operations research and financial engineering. But as of 2009 only 26 MLB players had completed four years of college. Athletes focus on being athletes, not on more intellectual pursuits, as a rule. So its not really surprising that we hear this kind of story about Brentz.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Call me a pessimist when it comes to these things. But should we really believe that he shot himself while cleaning the gun? Pretty easy to determine if bullet in the chamber when cleaning. Lets just hope we don't hear about something later on. Not saying anything bad, just might not have had safety on when handling or just dropped gun while at range, always sounds better to say cleaning vs. firing. But there has to be some kind of black cloud hanging over RS OF prospects, Westmoreland, Kalish, and now Brentz. Was hoping 2013 would end the streak of bad luck RS have had.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

abso....thats like going to a car wash and keeping all your windows open...

beyond redemption...
    Darwin Award winning dumb

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It was Beckett's fault.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

It was Beckett's fault.

Beckett is no longer on the team. It was Lackey's fault.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As a group baseball players are not very highly educated, though I am not sure that always equates with intelligence. 

I'd bet, on average, that athletes have a higher IQ than non-athletes.  FB has 75 plays on offense and defense that need to be memorized, and picking plays out based on the play unfolding in front of you.  Not as extreme in B-ball and hockey, but from what I've seen locally, the smarter kids are always ahead of the less-smart kids.  Some kids never seem to learn from their mistakes.  And I have seen relative newcomers just watch every play on the court, and absorb everything around them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Don't worry, deer antler spray will fix that muscle.

good thing it wasn't a high capacity magazine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Avid Hunter,

http://youtu.be/g8GVzzuY7BI

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The fact of the matter is that athletes are not hired because they are Rhodes scholars. There are a few very intelligent ones out there, but in general they are not focused on improving their brainpower.

Same for some of posters.

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

As a group baseball players are not very highly educated, though I am not sure that always equates with intelligence. Apparently Craig Breslow has degrees in molecular biophysics and biochemistry from Yale, but he is an exception. Ross Ohlendorf went to Princeton and majored in operations research and financial engineering. But as of 2009 only 26 MLB players had completed four years of college. Athletes focus on being athletes, not on more intellectual pursuits, as a rule. So its not really surprising that we hear this kind of story about Brentz.

there is book sense

and there's comon sense

if true

this fail comes out of the common sense slot

besides

smart people do dumb things all the time

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

there is book sense

and there's comon sense

if true

this fail comes out of the common sense slot

besides

smart people do dumb things all the time

Common sense isn't all that common these days.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

George W. Bush (the son) graduated from the Harvard Business School (the only U.S. President to have an MBA degree).  But he does not seem to be a very bright man.  LOL