Brewers sign Real SS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Brewers sign Real SS!

Alex G is going to play SS for the Brewers. Would have been nice to get him back, but even though he has improved in the offensive production, and can double the HRs over Scutaro, his OBP just dosn't meet the RS standard. I mean wouldn't you rather have a guy with an above .350 OBP, even though he only hits .225 with no power and few RBIs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Brewers sign Real SS!

In Response to Brewers sign Real SS!:
    [QUOTE]Alex G is going to play SS for the Brewers. Would have been nice to get him back, but even though he has improved in the offensive production, and can double the HRs over Scutaro, his OBP just dosn't meet the RS standard. I mean wouldn't you rather have a guy with an above .350 OBP, even though he only hits .225 with no power and few RBIs?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I don't know man.  Alex is no spring chicken and his range is not what it was.  Still has great hands out there, better than Scutaro's for sure.  But, given that he can't get to balls he did a few years ago, I'm not sure the loss of stick would be worth the mild upgrade. '08 or '09 Alex G, sure.  2012 Alex G., not the same bump in defense. Scutaro never was close to a Gonzales in his prime. But, I think you, and others, underrate Scutaro's defense. He is solid out there. Muffs a ball now and then, much as the next guy though. And I don't have confidence that a ball hit in the hole is going to be an out. For sure. But, Marco also surprises with many nifty plays up the middle, on 2 turns, and is certainly not the nightmare many want to ascribe to him out there. I believe the overly critical assessments of Scutaro are a strange psychological outcropping of the Sox Fan post-Nomar SS merrigoround-fatigue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Brewers sign Real SS!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Brewers sign Real SS! : I don't know man.  Alex is no spring chicken and his range is not what it was.  Still has great hands out there, better than Scutaro's for sure.  But, given that he can't get to balls he did a few years ago, I'm not sure the loss of stick would be worth the mild upgrade. '08 or '09 Alex G, sure.  2012 Alex G., not the same bump in defense. Scutaro never was close to a Gonzales in his prime. But, I think you, and others, underrate Scutaro's defense. He is solid out there. Muffs a ball now and then, much as the next guy though. And I don't have confidence that a ball hit in the hole is going to be an out. For sure. But, Marco also surprises with many nifty plays up the middle, on 2 turns, and is certainly not the nightmare many want to ascribe to him out there. I believe the overly critical assessments of Scutaro are a strange psychological outcropping of the Sox Fan post-Nomar SS merrigoround-fatigue.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE
    Scutaro lacks the arm for the position. He won't get to many balls in the hole, and if he does, the runner is probably safe. He doesn't have Beltre to his right to bail him out. Maybe a healthy Youkilis will be quicker off the dime this season. Maybe. 
    One need not be "overly critical" to have misgivings about the left side of the infield. It should be assessed as a tandem.
    IMO, at least one of those gloves should be superior on defense, preferably SS. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Brewers sign Real SS!:
    [QUOTE]Alex G is going to play SS for the Brewers. Would have been nice to get him back, but even though he has improved in the offensive production, and can double the HRs over Scutaro, his OBP just dosn't meet the RS standard. I mean wouldn't you rather have a guy with an above .350 OBP, even though he only hits .225 with no power and few RBIs?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Let me think.  Hmmmmm.

A guy who only makes an out 65% of the time or a guy who makes outs 73% of the time, like Gonzalez last year.  Which one helps my offense more?

We are taking into account runs scored and runners moved over, right?  Or is RBI the only stat that matters?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

He's no longer good enough to play every day.

Then again, Scutaro is also not good enough to play every day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Neh.......I like Scutaro.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]He's no longer good enough to play every day. Then again, Scutaro is also not good enough to play every day.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

While I don't agree, I would like to see the Sox throw Iglesias out there if they plan on letting Youkilis play 3B every day.  Iglesias can hit .110 on this team if he just prevents runs..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If you think that Alex is that good, why did the Braves let him go.

It is not worth to bring him back for the third times in his career!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

After next year...or maybe even mid-year...the SS job will belong to Iglesias...sink or swim.  I think the SS position is one where you need a hitter and not just a glove and it would be just a matter of him failing to do anything with runners in scoring position a bunch of times before this board would crucify him...and swear they all said he should have been used as trade bait.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brewers sign Real SS! : While I don't agree, I would like to see the Sox throw Iglesias out there if they plan on letting Youkilis play 3B every day.  Iglesias can hit .110 on this team if he just prevents runs..
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Maybe not .110 but .225 if he can actually plug what figures to be a hole in the hole with Youkilis/Scutaro. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brewers sign Real SS! : Maybe not .110 but .225 if he can actually plug what figures to be a hole in the hole with Youkilis/Scutaro. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

what the f are you saying?? Alex Gonz is a better hitter than Scut??

Scutaro's 2011 OPS is like 140 higher!! 140! you'd trade that for a few useless homeruns? god grief

by the way who the hell hit .225?? Scutaro hit almost .300 in 2011 so stop this nonsense 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

I apologize

I got a little carried away there, sorry I thought you were still talking about Alex and Scutaro

I just dont see a hole at SS

in 2013 maybe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Brewers sign Real SS! : I don't know man.  Alex is no spring chicken and his range is not what it was.  Still has great hands out there, better than Scutaro's for sure.  But, given that he can't get to balls he did a few years ago, I'm not sure the loss of stick would be worth the mild upgrade. '08 or '09 Alex G, sure.  2012 Alex G., not the same bump in defense. Scutaro never was close to a Gonzales in his prime. But, I think you, and others, underrate Scutaro's defense. He is solid out there. Muffs a ball now and then, much as the next guy though. And I don't have confidence that a ball hit in the hole is going to be an out. For sure. But, Marco also surprises with many nifty plays up the middle, on 2 turns, and is certainly not the nightmare many want to ascribe to him out there. I believe the overly critical assessments of Scutaro are a strange psychological outcropping of the Sox Fan post-Nomar SS merrigoround-fatigue.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Alex's defense is far better than Scutaro and he has a stronger arm. Loss of stick? No, loss of OBP maybe, but certainly Alex has more power but less plate discipline. I just like his approach and intensity better than Scutaro. Scutaro is the Drew of SS's.