Bring on the Cardinals! Predictions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Bring on the Cardinals! Predictions?

Predicted the Sox over the Rays in 3, they won in 4; predicted the Sox over the Tigers in 5, they won in 6; predicting Sox over the Cards in 4, will be happy if they win it in 5.  Go Sox!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Re: Bring on the Cardinals! Predictions?

I know nothing about the Cards.  I can't imagine thier SPs are better than Detroit's.

What are they known for?  I hear thuer Closer is top knotch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I predicted Sox in 4, and Sox in 6. Dead on so far. For the Series I predict Sox in 5, which I dont like because Id rather win it at home. But, while winning it anywhere is preferable, Id rather do it in 6. But no complaints, my prediction is Sox in 5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know nothing about the Cards.  I can't imagine thier SPs are better than Detroit's.

What are they known for?  I hear thuer Closer is top knotch.

[/QUOTE]

They arent better, but are good. They hit well, and have a very good bullpen. They hit over .330 with risp this year. They are battle tested, and have a knack for the dramatic. Matt Carpenter leads mlb with 95 two strike hits, they hit incredibly well with two strikes, and are also known for swinging at and getting hits on first pitch fastballs. They have 3-4 flame throwers in the pen that approach 100 mph. In other words, you better get to their starters. Number one is Wainwright, but there are a couple rookies after him. We'll see how the rooks handle Fenway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Right Examiner: you, Moonslav, Zetterberg, and Pumpsie Green have correctly predicted both the Sox in 4 over the Rays and the Sox in 6 over the Tigers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Predicted the Sox over the Rays in 3, they won in 4; predicted the Sox over the Tigers in 5, they won in 6; predicting Sox over the Cards in 4, will be happy if they win it in 5.  Go Sox!

[/QUOTE] hey mex...congrats..

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I predict that Stiffy will step up & make yet one more, in a long string of WRONG PREDICTIONS!  :)

At least I'm praying he will!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to manosome's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I predicted Sox in 4, and Sox in 6. Dead on so far. For the Series I predict Sox in 5, which I dont like because Id rather win it at home. But, while winning it anywhere is preferable, Id rather do it in 6. But no complaints, my prediction is Sox in 5.

[/QUOTE]

Exam, i hope your streak continues, but don't underestimate the Cards. Unlike Detroit, they have an excellent BP, and their starters match up with ours. SOX will win it, but don't be surprised if it goes 7.

[/QUOTE]

I of all people understand the Cardinals and what they are capable of. I loathe them more than NYY. Just going with what my gut says, which has been dead on so far. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] hey mex...congrats..

[/QUOTE]

Hey cool, thanks jete!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exam, i hope your streak continues, but don't underestimate the Cards. Unlike Detroit, they have an excellent BP, and their starters match up with ours. SOX will win it, but don't be surprised if it goes 7.

[/QUOTE]

I of all people understand the Cardinals and what they are capable of. I loathe them more than NYY. Just going with what my gut says, which has been dead on so far. 

[/QUOTE]

If Cinci was playing the SOX, who would you be rooting for?

[/QUOTE]

Probably 51-49 Sox, but I hope it never happens. But beating Stl is my ultimate WS dream, losing to them would be the ultimate nightmare. But like they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I seen lots of Cardinals' games this year. They have a quality pitching staff. They don't have anywhere near the starting pitching quality depth that the Tigers had. But, they have a much better bullpen. On offense, they are a lot like the Sox...lots of good role players surrounding veteran stars Carlos Beltran, catcher Yadier Molina, and Matt Holliday...who many Sox fans will remember from the 2007 WS against Colorado.

That said, I think that the Sox have better pitching overall, and will win the WS in 4-6 games. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In addition to Examiner, Moonslav, Pumpsie, and Zetterberg, these posters predicted the Sox over the Tigers in 6--Beantowne, Ice Cream, Bosox Joe, 808SoxFan, IrishMob7.  Well done!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

The Cardinals find ways to win. They are my least favorite NL team(I don't like the term hate) but I have to admit they are amazing the way they can replace Pujols and others. That being said I would love the thought of beating themI would enjoy almost as much as the Yankees. The whole baseball heaven BS, best fans in baseball yada yada. This is going to be tough. 04 the Sox were favored, this time I think the Cards will be favored. My head says the Cards in 6, my heart says the Red Sox in 7. GO RED SOX. Btw, I think Buck and McCarver are fairly objective. But....does anyone else agree with me that Harold Reynolds hates the Red Sox????Whining about the ball 4 call on Bogey??. He's been a hater since 99 with ESPN.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I predict the Farrell and the players will not take the Cards any more lightly than the Tigers or the Rays.  

predict they will take them very seriously, uh, because the WS is at stake?   

But, if anything, they've had some darn good prep with those Tigers' starters - who imo are the best in the MLB.   That'll come in handy in planning a strategy against STL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Right Examiner: you, Moonslav, Zetterberg, and Pumpsie Green have correctly predicted both the Sox in 4 over the Rays and the Sox in 6 over the Tigers.

[/QUOTE]

I have been right so far, despite some postprediction doubt. Sox in six. They will win it at home, in front of their fans, capping a remarkable season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I seen lots of Cardinals' games this year. They have a quality pitching staff. They don't have anywhere near the starting pitching quality depth that the Tigers had. But, they have a much better bullpen. On offense, they are a lot like the Sox...lots of good role players surrounding veteran stars Carlos Beltran, catcher Yadier Molina, and Matt Holliday...who many Sox fans will remember from the 2007 WS against Colorado.

That said, I think that the Sox have better pitching overall, and will win the WS in 4-6 games. 

[/QUOTE]

No team has the quality of SP that the Tigers have, and thats where it starts and ends in the playoffs. The Sox are a good FB hitting team. If their SP keeps the pedal to the metal they will beat the Cards in no more than six.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have been right so far, despite some postprediction doubt. Sox in six. They will win it at home, in front of their fans, capping a remarkable season.

[/QUOTE]

That would be pandemonium.  Sox have not won a World Series IN Fenway Park since 1918.   And considering the season they had - and the city itself did (the attacks happened right before the home opener) -  it would be such a great ending.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My prediction for the World Series is lots of beer,good food and Pepto Bismol.

Also the Red Sox win in 5 games.

GO RED SOX !!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Ooops..I didn't see this thread when I posted one..so I'll just copy my predictions here.

I predict a better offense from the Sox in this series.

I predict the series will go all seven games but that the Sox will win.

Starting rotation- Lester, Lackey, Buch, Peavy ( but maybe they go to a three man only..in that case Peavy's out)

Multiple home runs by Pedroia, Ortiz, and Naps.

Drew is due so I am thinking he hits one out too.

The Game threads on BDC will be full of angst.

...and finally...that some people will still be full of criticism regarding Farrell.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Should be a boring thread, but a lot of good comments and insights.  For my credentials, please look back to one of the ALDS prediction threads in which I said the Rays would sweep the Sox.  I then thought the Tigers rotation would kill us--and in my defense they darn near did.  Thank goodness for their bullpen, our bullpen, two good starts by Lester, one amazing start by Lackey, and two completely unexpected grand slam dingers.  Ortiz's dinger wasn't completely unexpected, but getting the bases loaded in the 8th inning was--Scherzer had dominated our lineup, but didn't come out for the 8th.  Last night Victorino couldn't even bunt, let alone get a hit, before the 7th. 

The Cards are a lot like us.  Both teams had 97 wins and home field advantage.  Cardinals had very good hitting and scoring during the regular season, and the Sox were the best.  Cardinals have a good rotation and bullpen, ditto Sox.  Cardinals have a sneaky lineup without a lot of big bats, ditto Sox.  Sox and Cardinals scored the most runs in the playoffs of all 8 MLB teams, yet neither had a high team OPS--.690 for the Sox, .610 for the Cardinals. 

One difference is experience.  Cardinals are back again and again and again.  Sox are in a miraculous turnaround from 2012 and no playoffs since 2009.  But at this point experience is a nonissue.  Even Bogaerts is a vet (or a semi-vet). 

Cardinals have two consistently good starters who both averaged 7 innings per start in 3 playoff games each with low ERA's.  Sox do not.  But I think the Sox have better 3 and 4 starters.  Cardinals bullpen is good, ours is better. 

Series starts in Boston, just like it did in 2004.  Could be important.

Cardinals will sweep just like the Rays did. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Sox in 6 or 7, though the competition will be tough.

Cardinals have a very good team.  The loss of Pujols has not hurt them one bit.  The do have excellent pitching - Wainright, Wacha (MVP of NLCS), Rosenthal (hits 100 mph), other flame throwers in BP.  Wacha and mates shut out LA's powerful hitting lineup. Cardinals batting lineup may not be as spectacular as Detroit's, they did a number on Kershaw, the best SP in NL.

It'll be a fun, angst-ridden series with heroes and goats.  Enjoy the ride.

Red Sox 2013 ALCS Champs, Patriots in 2014 SB!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Should be a boring thread, but a lot of good comments and insights.  For my credentials, please look back to one of the ALDS prediction threads in which I said the Rays would sweep the Sox.  I then thought the Tigers rotation would kill us--and in my defense they darn near did.  Thank goodness for their bullpen, our bullpen, two good starts by Lester, one amazing start by Lackey, and two completely unexpected grand slam dingers.  Ortiz's dinger wasn't completely unexpected, but getting the bases loaded in the 8th inning was--Scherzer had dominated our lineup, but didn't come out for the 8th.  Last night Victorino couldn't even bunt, let alone get a hit, before the 7th. 

The Cards are a lot like us.  Both teams had 97 wins and home field advantage.  Cardinals had very good hitting and scoring during the regular season, and the Sox were the best.  Cardinals have a good rotation and bullpen, ditto Sox.  Cardinals have a sneaky lineup without a lot of big bats, ditto Sox.  Sox and Cardinals scored the most runs in the playoffs of all 8 MLB teams, yet neither had a high team OPS--.690 for the Sox, .610 for the Cardinals. 

One difference is experience.  Cardinals are back again and again and again.  Sox are in a miraculous turnaround from 2012 and no playoffs since 2009.  But at this point experience is a nonissue.  Even Bogaerts is a vet (or a semi-vet). 

Cardinals have two consistently good starters who both averaged 7 innings per start in 3 playoff games each with low ERA's.  Sox do not.  But I think the Sox have better 3 and 4 starters.  Cardinals bullpen is good, ours is better. 

Series starts in Boston, just like it did in 2004.  Could be important.

Cardinals will sweep just like the Rays did. 

[/QUOTE]

Great prediction Max :) .  And yeah, weird, Bogaerts is like a vet out there . . .