Broadcaster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Broadcaster

Who was the best Red Sox broadcaster you have heard radio ortv?  Ned Martin for me though Curt Gowdy was great also.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Broadcaster

My rankings:

1. Ned Martin

2. Don Orsillo

3. Ken Coleman

4. Dick Stockton

5. Dave O'Brien

6. Joe Castiglione

7. Jim Woods

8. Sean McDonough

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

My top 5 would be:

1) Ned Martin

2) Joe Castig

3) Don Orsillo

4) Sean McDonough (no idea why.....but I really liked him.  Although I often wondered how his head got so mishapen...)

5) Dave O'Brian

I love hearing replays of Curt Gowdy but I was WAY too young to really remember him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Orsillo stole McDonough's act.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

“I told him I’m inclined not to like him just because of the home run he hit,’’ McDonough joked. “But I’ve been told he’s a good guy and I guess I’ll look past it.’’

Sean McDonough on receiving a phone call from Aaron Boone. Boone was calling to introduce himself as they were about to begin work together with ESPN.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My rankings:

1. Ned Martin

2. Don Orsillo

3. Ken Coleman

4. Dick Stockton

5. Dave O'Brien

6. Joe Castiglione

7. Jim Woods

8. Sean McDonough

[/QUOTE]

No Curt Gowdy??  It had to have been before your time?

Castiglione?  Someone hits a pop-up to shortstop and he makes it sound like it's a drive high off the wall.  I think the paint on his picture is too thick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My rankings:

1. Ned Martin

2. Don Orsillo

3. Ken Coleman

4. Dick Stockton

5. Dave O'Brien

6. Joe Castiglione

7. Jim Woods

8. Sean McDonough

[/QUOTE]

No Curt Gowdy??  It had to have been before your time?

Castiglione?  Someone hits a pop-up to shortstop and he makes it sound like it's a drive high off the wall.  I think the paint on his picture is too thick.

[/QUOTE]

I only remember Gowdy from national broadcasts.

Castiglione is OK overall, but his voice can become a bit much. I couldn't take nine straight innings from him, but he and O'Brien make a good team IMO. O'Brien has a great radio voice. I could even consider moving him up a spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

HI NEIGHBOR, HAVE A GANSETT !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you've had enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

My rankings:

1. Ned Martin

2. Don Orsillo

3. Ken Coleman

4. Dick Stockton

5. Dave O'Brien

6. Joe Castiglione

7. Jim Woods

8. Sean McDonough

[/QUOTE]

Good list and Sean is rarley talked about except those in the business and most have good things to say.

I think Harrelson has to be mentioned and I was a huge fan of Monty, both as a player and announcer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Orsillo is nowhere near as nasty as McDonough. Orsillo tends to mellow Remy while McDonough brought out his mean side.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Orsillo is nowhere near as nasty as McDonough. Orsillo tends to mellow Remy while McDonough brought out his mean side.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't McDonough crash his Mercede's and get let off a drunk driving rap?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My rankings:

1. Ned Martin

2. Don Orsillo

3. Ken Coleman

4. Dick Stockton

5. Dave O'Brien

6. Joe Castiglione

7. Jim Woods

8. Sean McDonough

[/QUOTE]

Good list and Sean is rarley talked about except those in the business and most have good things to say.

I think Harrelson has to be mentioned and I was a huge fan of Monty, both as a player and announcer.

[/QUOTE]

McDonough was very good. He's eighth simply because I didn't listen to him as often as the others. That Castigliano is sixth isn't a knock on him as much as how good the others are. He easily could move up.

My list was play-by-play guys.

I liked Harrelson when he was working with Dick Stockton. He didn't become annoying until he went to Chicago. He was more of a color guy in Boston. I didn't get the chance to listen to a lot of Montgomery because of when we moved, but I do recall liking him when I was in Boston over the years and he was still broadcasting.

I thought Johnny Pesky was good when he was working with Ken Coleman in the early '70s, but I also was young and didn't have a reference point to compare.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My rankings:

1. Ned Martin

2. Don Orsillo

3. Ken Coleman

I agree with your top three.

5. Dave O'Brien

6. Joe Castiglione

I met castiglione a few years back when he was at camden yards for a book signing.  The only thing I was interested in was seeing his WS ring!  Didn't buy a book or ask him anything but to look at his ring.  I asked if I could have it.  He laughed!  It was worth a try Wink

7. Jim Woods

8. Sean McDonough

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

McDonough was very good. He's eighth simply because I didn't listen to him as often as the others. That Castigliano is sixth isn't a knock on him as much as how good the others are. He easily could move up.

My list was play-by-play guys.

I liked Harrelson when he was working with Dick Stockton. He didn't become annoying until he went to Chicago.

The hawk was good at one time?  I can't stand listening to him, the whole 'good guys'/'bad guys' thing is childish.

He was more of a color guy in Boston. I didn't get the chance to listen to a lot of Montgomery because of when we moved, but I do recall liking him when I was in Boston over the years and he was still broadcasting.

I thought Johnny Pesky was good when he was working with Ken Coleman in the early '70s, but I also was young and didn't have a reference point to compare.

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ah, that brings back memories lol.  Some in my family call it nastygansett!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The hawk was good at one time?  I can't stand listening to him, the whole 'good guys'/'bad guys' thing is childish.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course, I was a kid when I was listening to Stockton and Harrelson, so maybe now I'd look at Harrelson in a different  light. But he was just starting out as an announcer and Dick Stockton was the play-by-play guy and running the show, so Harrelson probably didn't develop his annoying schtick until later.

Maybe if I went back and listened to some old broadcasts, I'd cringe, but I don't remember Harrelson being particulary good or bad back then. You knew Stockton was on his way. He's a very underrated national guy today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course, I was a kid when I was listening to Stockton and Harrelson, so maybe now I'd look at Harrelson in a different  light. But he was just starting out as an announcer and Dick Stockton was the play-by-play guy and running the show, so Harrelson probably didn't develop his annoying schtick until later.

Maybe if I went back and listened to some old broadcasts, I'd cringe, but I don't remember Harrelson being particulary good or bad back then. You knew Stockton was on his way. He's a very underrated national guy today.

[/QUOTE]

I liked the hawk as a ball player, so did my dad.  I'm disappointing he turned out to be so annoying as an announcer.  He sure was a flashy dresser, remember his fur coats LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I can still hear Curt in the recesses of my mind:  "The beer that people who really know beer, like best! Hi neighbor, have a gansett."