Buchholz Might be out for the series

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Buchholz Might be out for the series

At the most he just pitches game 4. Just the fact they are talking about this probably means he wont start.

Peavey pitched game 3, Doubront, is probably the guy for game 4.

This makes tonights game HUGE. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Buchholz Might be out for the series

I disagree 37.  Buchholz has looked gassed the past two starts.  He didn't have enough time to get back on the horse after his long layoff.  Doubront is a perfectly fine fallback, probably equal to Buchholz Gassed-Version.  People forget that Doubront was a hoss this year.  For a long stretch, when they needed it most (during Lesters swoon and Buchholz' absence), he carried the rotation.  I would be excited to see him get a WS start.  The fact that he didn't even make the post-season rotation says something about the depth of pitching on this club.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree 37.  Buchholz has looked gassed the past two starts.  He didn't have enough time to get back on the horse after his long layoff.  Doubront is a perfectly fine fallback, probably equal to Buchholz Gassed-Version.  People forget that Doubront was a hoss this year.  For a long stretch, when they needed it most (during Lesters swoon and Buchholz' absence), he carried the rotation.  I would be excited to see him get a WS start.  The fact that he didn't even make the post-season rotation says something about the depth of pitching on this club.

[/QUOTE]

I like Doubront fine. But if Buch doesn't go it means Peavey is the game 7 guy. If it goes 7 games 3 of the next 6 are going to be started by Peavey and Doubront. 

To me that makes tonight's game enormous. I am not saying the sky is falling, but it makes me a tad uncomfortable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

any temptation to pitch lester on 3 days rest?

0-0 in 2 starts on 3 days rest.  11ip / 4.91 ERA / 6k / 6bb / 3hr

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree here. Rest always seems to do Doubront some good - see his 7 IP, 2 R in his final start of the season after having his rotation spot skipped - and he's had plenty of that.

Interesting that in each of his starts this month Buchholz seemed to cruise through the first few innings and then run into trouble around the 5th or 6th...I don't know if they'd ever consider using Buch for just the first 4 or 5 and then bringing in Doubront for several more. (Doubt it.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I say start Workman if Buch can't make it.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I feel fine having Doubie pitch a game.  STL is not very good at all vs LHP.  They've been that way all year.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

If I remember correctly, the Cards batting average as a team is much worsel against left handers than  against righties. With that added to the equation Doubront may have a bit of an edge over a so, so Buchholz.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I think that my concern is Peavey pitching twice, not so much Doubront pitching once.

The posters are correct though in saying that Buch has not been strong since coming back from the DL. He is not the same guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Buck was, is, and always will be a question mark for each and every one of his starts.

Thanks to Day to Day Clay, tonight IS a must-win game.

At this point, I'd rather use Doubrant & Workman in G3, Peavy in G4 and just tell Day to Day Clay his off the post season roster.  I'm sick of his BS........

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Buck was, is, and always will be a question mark for each and every one of his starts.

Thanks to Day to Day Clay, tonight IS a must-win game.

At this point, I'd rather use Doubrant & Workman in G3, Peavy in G4 and just tell Day to Day Clay his off the post season roster.  I'm sick of his BS........

[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of pitchers in baseball history who want to pitch so bad, they'll go out there hurting, and hoping, without telling anyone they've got sore arms or whatever, and end up hurting their team. At least buch seems to be honest when he's sub par. Although it's aggravating, perhaps we should be thankful for what he's done, and cut him some slack. Thankfully, the sox have viable plug-ins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that my concern is Peavey pitching twice, not so much Doubront pitching once.

The posters are correct though in saying that Buch has not been strong since coming back from the DL. He is not the same guy.

[/QUOTE]

I get it 37.  Peavey is anyone's guess.  And vintage Buchholz vs. Peavey, no brainer.  But post-2013-return Buchholz vs. Peavey:  to me thats a toss up.  i don't feel particularly confident either way.  But then again, both are capable of a big game gem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Before the ALDS I was sure Buchholz was one key to Sox success.  Now we know he absolutely is not.  Lester, Lackey, and Peavy had done the job.  So has the bullpen.  Buchholz is in the nice to have category, not the essential category. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to 37stories's comment:

His four September starts were pretty good actually*...maybe a tick below what he did early in the season, but not by a whole lot, and that would have been an impossible level to sustain anyway.

It's the playoffs that have not been up to par, and I'm not sure what that portends.

*EDIT: To be exact... 24 IP, 5 ER, 18 H, 7 BB, 15 K = 1.88 ERA, 1.04 WHIP. So "pretty good" would be dramatically under-selling Buch's first four starts after coming back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before the ALDS I was sure Buchholz was one key to Sox success.  Now we know he absolutely is not.  Lester, Lackey, and Peavy had done the job.  So has the bullpen.  Buchholz is in the nice to have category, not the essential category. 

[/QUOTE]

I wish I had $35 million to blow on something that is simply "nice to have"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

3 Months this team didn't have him. He didn't put them over the hump. If he does or doesn't dont matter. Next Man up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I get it 37.  Peavey is anyone's guess.  And vintage Buchholz vs. Peavey, no brainer.  But post-2013-return Buchholz vs. Peavey:  to me thats a toss up.  i don't feel particularly confident either way.  But then again, both are capable of a big game gem.

[/QUOTE]

Buck is the odd man out next year

Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Doubrant, and The Farm (Workman, Barnes, Webster, etc)

You gotta see what you can get for Buck at this point in time.  Next year his salary goes up and then he has 2 team options.  We got his best years (I can't believe 20 starts a year are his best years but it is, what it is) at a reasonable price (no more than $7 mil per year) so let's see if someone will make us a good deal and move on from this freakin headache and headcase.....
    The Buck stops here!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like Doubront fine. But if Buch doesn't go it means Peavey is the game 7 guy. If it goes 7 games 3 of the next 6 are going to be started by Peavey and Doubront. 

To me that makes tonight's game enormous. I am not saying the sky is falling, but it makes me a tad uncomfortable.

[/QUOTE]

It wont go 7.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wish I had $35 million to blow on something that is simply "nice to have"

[/QUOTE]

2013: $5.5 million
    2014: $7.7 million
    2015: $12 million
    2016: $13 million team option (or $245,000 buyout)
    2017: $13.5 million team option (or $500,000 buyout)

What is your point about $35 mil.?

[/QUOTE]

It was a 4 year, $30 Guaranteed Million Dollar Deal.  I was off by $5 million.

Therefore, I will correct my statement:  I wish I had $30 million to blow on something that is simply "nice to have"

Source:  Cots Contracts

12:$3.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.245M buyout), 17:$13.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My point was if you are talking about the current injury 2013 and he has been worth every penny of the $5.5 mil. for 2013 then why are you relating the current injury to the total contact. Do you know something that we don't know about the next four years?

[/QUOTE]

Do I know something that we don't about the next 4 years?

I know exactly what the entire baseball world knows - Clay Buchholz is, now, and always will be DAY TO DAY and will never be able to make 30 starts in a season.  If you put him in your rotation, you automatically will need an extra back up starter.  And you most definetly better be prepared that he will not be able to finish the season.  I am sorry if you haven't been able to figure this out by now........one need not have crystal ball to know that people made of clay simply can not stay healthy enough to play........

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, the Cards batting average as a team is much worsel against left handers than  against righties. With that added to the equation Doubront may have a bit of an edge over a so, so Buchholz.

[/QUOTE]

The Cards had a losing record this year vs LHP. Against RHP they were the best in baseball. The problem with starting Doubront is that he has trouble throwing strikes. Unfortunately he is the next best option vs the Man of Glass, whose antics are getting old. His newest injury makes tonight's game critical. Lackey is going to have to be on his game.