Buchholz - Time to start considering other options?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Buchholz- Time to start considering other options?

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes 

Buchholz bullpen scratched; to be re-examined Friday

Buchholz bullpen session was scratched today due to continuing soreness in his shoulder. So much that he will have another MRI tomorrow. Buchholz is experiencing bursitis in his throwing shoulder and hasnt pitched since June 8th. Realistically, there has been little to no improvement.

It might be time to start considering other options on the market. If the Sox do decide to go that route, I dont see a blockbuster of any sort, or a deal that would cost them dearly in top prospects. I would think that they will go with internal options until the deadline to A)see if they have a viable internal option, and B) to Give Buchholz as much time as possible before they take the next step.

I dont see a Cliff Lee type deal, but more a move for a MOTR type starter that wouldnt cost a lot in prospects.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Buchholz - Time to start considering other options?

Yeah, if I were the Red Sox, I'd go under the assumption that he won't be back this year.

Given the 'severity of the injury' and the importance of him getting back on the field for the team paying him, the Boston Red Sox, I have to believe he won't risk anything tonight in his charity bowling event. There's no way he should risk doing further damage by bowling tonight.

He can do his job mingling with others like he did during the All Star festivities.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sounds about right sp.  Lee's the only one who can replace him, in terms of ace type performance, but Phils are still on the edge of playoff contention, so they'd have to start losing quickly before they'll consider a trade.  And then, even if that happened, you'd have to give up cherished prospects to get him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

He is hurt so much that he must be related to J.D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This gets worse all the time. Could it be his rotator cuff?  

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Yeah, if I were the Red Sox, I'd go under the assumption that he won't be back this year.

Given the 'severity of the injury' and the importance of him getting back on the field for the team paying him, the Boston Red Sox, I have to believe he won't risk anything tonight in his charity bowling event. There's no way he should risk doing further damage by bowling tonight.

He can do his job mingling with others like he did during the All Star festivities.

It's not unreasonable to assume that he will not be back this year.  It is unreasonable to assume that he doesn't care.  And good for Buchholz that he should enjoy his time at the All Star game.  Don't assume that everybody, or anybody for that matter, is as miserable as you.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

So here we are at the break and we can recall two MUST things that had to happen to succeed this year:

1)  Lester return to pre August 2011 form

2)  Buch stays healthy

Well..... we are in first place but as we enter a crucial series against New York is there anyone here banking the lessor players can continue to play their hearts out?

I think the team should go into buy mode though.... 4 months ago I thought we would be sellers right about now.

The one thing that is constant about this year's team is that they continue to make predictions look foolish and they continue to defy lower expectations of them in spite of setbacks and injuries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

It's not unreasonable to assume that he will not be back this year.  It is unreasonable to assume that he doesn't care.  And good for Buchholz that he should enjoy his time at the All Star game.  Don't assume that everybody, or anybody for that matter, is as miserable as you.  

[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about not mingling? Don't make assumptions. He just shouldn't bowl tonight. He shouldn't risk further injury.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes 

Buchholz bullpen session was scratched today due to continuing soreness in his shoulder. So much that he will have another MRI tomorrow. Buchholz is experiencing bursitis in his throwing shoulder and hasnt pitched since June 8th. Realistically, there has been little to no improvement.

It might be time to start considering other options on the market. If the Sox do decide to go that route, I dont see a blockbuster of any sort, or a deal that would cost them dearly in top prospects. I would think that they will go with internal options until the deadline to A)see if they have a viable internal option, and B) to Give Buchholz as much time as possible before they take the next step.

I dont see a Cliff Lee type deal, but more a move for a MOTR type starter that wouldnt cost a lot in prospects.

IMO...they will continue with "the plan", of keeping prospects for the long term, and taking on short term money for the short term. So...if some one wants to dump a little payroll our way for a couple of b level prospects then we ll listen. That's that. They will NOT, I believe, compromise the plan set out this off season of building a long term winner. Even if....we have a chance of winning this year. 

Nava,Iggy,Doubront,and Taz have all stepped up, with Midds, and Bard stepping back. Webster, Workman, JBJ, Lav, and others are all getting playing time, with more to come in the heat of a pennant race. The plan is working, can't wait for the 2nd half when Boggy gets called up and maybe JBJ or Webster get a chance to step up....Don't count out Midds for the stretch run. If he can find his swing and his wrist comes around he could be all we need in the 5 or 6 hole. I have to laugh at the Ramirez, or young options....NOT happening when we have 2 internal studs just waiting for a chance....for the min salary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about not mingling? Don't make assumptions. He just shouldn't bowl tonight. He shouldn't risk further injury.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I misread the mingling part.  I'm sorry (that was not easy to write).

Make sure you send an email and fax to the bowling alley to insure that Buchholz is aware of your concerns and complies with your wishes.  Maybe Buch will heed your advice, unlike the way Ralph Kramden ignored Alice's when she warned him not bowl the night before his required physical for his bus driving job.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I wish I could respond to this thread, but I can't because I'm not 100 percent. I'll respond as soon as I'm 100 percent. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Or could it be he is a damn sissy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mrkite74's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Or could it be he is a damn sissy?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, let's sent him out there with a bad shoulder and REALLY screw it up.

After all, Lackey was able to pitch great with that sore elbow, wasn't he?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

So here we are at the break and we can recall two MUST things that had to happen to succeed this year:

1)  Lester return to pre August 2011 form

2)  Buch stays healthy

Well..... we are in first place but as we enter a crucial series against New York is there anyone here banking the lessor players can continue to play their hearts out - and continue to surpass expectation?

I think the team should go into buy mode though.... 4 months ago I thought we would be sellers right about now.

I was one that thought the Sox weren't going anywhere without Lester and Buchholz.

Lackey has almost singlehandedly carried the rotation though the first half.

Lately, Doubront has been stepping up.

you're right, if Buccholz is done for the year, the Sox will need a MOTR starter.

I just hope they don't get taken to the cleaners getting one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

calling cliff lee 

As always - 100% correct!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Next 10 games against AL East Opponents, will determine a lot what the Sox will do.
    Almost stuck like a rock and hard place, 1st place and key Pitching injury, GM's will be asking for quality if trade is made.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Lester was the Lester we saw early in this season and Lackey having the best season in his career so far, it would have been much more easier to find Bucholz' replacement.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

At this point anything is possible. The bursitis in his shoulder could be part of a bigger issue. Hes having another MRI today, so we could find out during tonights game, or at worst by the end of the weekend.

The key player here is Jon Lester. He doesnt need to pitch like an Ace, just a solid #3 MOTR starter consistently. Lackey and Doubie have been pitching like TOTR starters and Lester needs to step up, especially if its something more serious with Buch than first thought.

I stand by my statement that this team will not part with all their top prospects to get a pitcher. IF they do go that route, I see a solid #3 being brought in. But they will give their internal options every chance to succeed first before heading down that road.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes 

Hello ! Buch is playing head games. Now other options??? He's putting it to the sox ! What part don't they see?  Are his friends in LA laughing their balls off? Should have option about a month ago? Dumb stupid sox should have seen this coming. Stupid me saw this a month ago.This is sooooooooo funny. I think i'll join in on the laugh. Yes something could be wrong but to put it off is really funny now  I think Beckett just farted and asked for another beer.