Buchholz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Buchholz

Clay looks underweight and confused. His pitching instincts and location are terrible. Is it all him or can we assign Salty and our pitching coach with some of the blame? Sad...I can't even remember his name!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Buchholz

In Response to Buchholz:
    [QUOTE]Clay looks underweight and confused. His pitching instincts and location are terrible. Is it all him or can we assign Salty and our pitching coach with some of the blame? Sad...I can't even remember his name!!!
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

And Salty is to blame for the relief pitchers who gave up 1 run in 13 innings yesterday?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

Anyone who blames the catcher doesnt understand baseball. The catcher puts down a suggestion, its up to the pitcher to choose his pitch and execute it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

and how does he "look" underweight? Seriously? And his pitching instincts? Where to people come up with this stuff?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Re: Buchholz:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Buchholz : And Salty is to blame for the relief pitchers who gave up 1 run in 13 innings yesterday?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, he was to blame for that one run scoring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who blames the catcher doesnt understand baseball. The catcher puts down a suggestion, its up to the pitcher to choose his pitch and execute it.
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]

Bucholtz had Veritek in the last two years, and yet he cant win more than 10 games a year.

So I do not think it have to do with catching.  Verlander had 24 years old catcher catching for him, and still Verlander won over 20 games!!!

And Shoppach was the Rays's catcher half of the time, Rays's starting pitchers managed to win alot of games.

So therefore, Boston just do not have enough talent starting pitchers!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

OK...maybe he just sxxcks! But, he does look thin and fragile. What about better coaching?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : Bucholtz had Veritek in the last two years, and yet he cant win more than 10 games a year. So I do not think it have to do with catching.  Verlander had 24 years old catcher catching for him, and still Verlander won over 20 games!!! And Shoppach was the Rays's catcher half of the time, Rays's starting pitchers managed to win alot of games. So therefore, Boston just do not have enough talent starting pitchers!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]To chime in when Buchholz had his break out year in 2010 the prmary catcher was VMart, not VTek. In the hyper arguments on BDC about Tek's CERA impact, Buch was seen as an outlier because he had so few innings with Tek.

Best I can tell, Buchholz isn't having issues with pitch selection, he is locating badly. His WHIP is through the roof because of walks and the HR balls are staggering.

Whether it physical or mental, it isn't the catcher and I doubt it is the pitching coach.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : To chime in when Buchholz had his break out year in 2010 the prmary catcher was VMart, not VTek. In the hyper arguments on BDC about Tek's CERA impact, Buch was seen as an outlier because he had so few innings with Tek. Best I can tell, Buchholz isn't having issues with pitch selection, he is locating badly. His WHIP is through the roof because of walks and the HR balls are staggering. Whether it physical or mental, it isn't the catcher and I doubt it is the pitching coach.  
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

He's not a pitcher, he's a thrower. He doesn't have the mental make-up to out-think hitters, IMO. He's trying to strike everyone out and relies mostly on his junk pitches instead of locating his FB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : As a matter of fact, he was to blame for that one run scoring.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Good point harv.  He put the guy on and gave him 2nd and 3rd.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : He's not a pitcher, he's a thrower. He doesn't have the mental make-up to out-think hitters, IMO. He's trying to strike everyone out and relies mostly on his junk pitches instead of locating his FB.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE] Is it thinking or is it he can't locate right now worth a darn? Seems to me everything is up in the zone and there aren't too many fastballs that don't leave in a hurry when they are up but in the zone (hence 10 HR in 32.2 IP) To highlight how bad that is over 185 IP that would be 56 HRs allowed. His WHIP is a staggering 2.020. His BB per 9 is over 5.

The thinking part of the argument would give support to the argument that a stronger catcher, calling a better game could help Buch out-think hitters. Right now I don't think that is the issue personally.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : Is it thinking or is it he can't locate right now worth a darn? Seems to me everything is up in the zone and there aren't too many fastballs that don't leave in a hurry when they are up but in the zone (hence 10 HR in 32.2 IP) To highlight how bad that is over 185 IP that would be 56 HRs allowed. His WHIP is a staggering 2.020. His BB per 9 is over 5. The thinking part of the argument would give support to the argument that a stronger catcher, calling a better game could help Buch out-think hitters. Right now I don't think that is the issue personally.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE
    Exactly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Hope they keep him around for a couple more starts at least--he missed most of last year, takes a while to get your groove back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

He may need a couple of weeks in Pawtucket to get his confidence back. Right now, he's lost.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

We need to remind Bucholz that it is still 2010.  Maybe that will help Bulcholz bring his nasty stuff he had that year.  lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Yepper. I see them giving him one more start with a VERY short hook. If we see more of the same garbage, he'll be yanked and DL'd with some imagined ailment or another. Then the obligatory minor league rehab stint. Oh...you are 100% correct on his skinny frame Pete. One wonders just how much off season conditioning he did, and how much he's hitting the weights now. The man needs 30lbs added to that anorexic frame....has anyone on the strength/conditioning staff bothered to notice? Have they tried to work on it, and he's not cooperative? Very frustrated and disappointed with Clay.  

[QUOTE]He may need a couple of weeks in Pawtucket to get his confidence back. Right now, he's lost.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He has to prove that 2010 was not a fluke.  Right now , he is not doing it , to say the least.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Yepper. I see them giving him one more start with a VERY short hook. If we see more of the same garbage, he'll be yanked and DL'd with some imagined ailment or another. Then the obligatory minor league rehab stint. Oh...you are 100% correct on his skinny frame Pete. One wonders just how much off season conditioning he did, and how much he's hitting the weights now. The man needs 30lbs added to that anorexic frame....has anyone on the strength/conditioning staff bothered to notice? Have they tried to work on it, and he's not cooperative? Very frustrated and disappointed with Clay.   In Response to Re: Buchholz :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]It may not be an imagined trip to the DL. Many times when pitchers struggle it is because their mechanics are all messed up trying to work around nagging injuries.

Having watched the Dodgers trade Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields I must confess I am not quick to buy into a guy being too slight. It would be different if Clay's struggles were 170 IP into the season but he has come out of the gate with real control issues and IMHO it is control versus command. Clay is missing his spots by a lot as witnessed by the usually high numbers in BB and HR. Sme guys are very lean and while it may mean that he won't pitch into his late 30's, his current issues aren't the fact that he isn't a "big framed" man IMHO.

It isn't like the RS are busting at the seams right now with lots of options (Cook's quick trip the DL doesn't help).

I would think if the BP isn't overworked come Clay's next start and he is having a decent game ater 75 pitches that while it may be unconventional that the RS should give him an early hook and let him build on the start.

BV has used his starters to point of failure a lot so far this season. I don't blame him, the BP was awful early and he was sorting through who could do what (Bailey's injury and Melancon's implosions surely contributed to that). After all this is a very different BP than what BV thought he was going to have just 2 weeks before the season started. But right now he should approach Buchholz like it is late spring training.

Lot of money tied up there, not a lot of other compelling options and while Clay's resume as an MLB pitcher isn't deep, when he is on the young man has 3 pitches when commanded and used together give him above average stuff IMHO.

It has been a dark 50 or so games going back to September of 2011 but the RS need to approach each move they make with player personnel with deliberation. Fans have the luxury of talking about the roster as though it was fantasy baseball/ But blowing up this team is a bad option because based on the minor league system and contractual obligations the RS currently have it could be 5 to 7 years to rebuild to where they are a contender in the AL again.

Something is not right though and the numbers are so bad at some point it doesn't do player or the RS any good to let hip go out and give up a hit and walk per inning and a HR every 3 innings. Those are roughly his current numbers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]OK...maybe he just sxxcks! But, he does look thin and fragile. What about better coaching?

It's the pressure of the catwalk.  Perhaps we should sign Beth Ditto.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

In response to "Re: Buchholz": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buchholz : It's the pressure of the catwalk.  Perhaps we should sign Beth Ditto. Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE] Simply put....buchholz is quite overrated and not even very good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Buchy was golfing yesterday.