Buchholz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

Buchholz

I admit, I was one of those people who wanted him traded years ago, for Halladay, Lee, or anyone else, because while he had value, everytime he was called up to MLB he seemed to get shelled. I wanted him gone while he might be worth something. The Red Sox kept selling the story that he was an ace of the future. I didn't buy it. The last couple of years he's proven me wrong, sort of. He's been pretty good, and I feel comfortable with him in the rotation as a 3rd starter - he can have quietly solid years. But what does everyone think of him? Is he as good as he's getting or does he have any shot at being the pitcher they said he was going to be?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Buchholz

I'm waiting for the small sample size wonder boys to start the trade Buch threads.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I want the Red Sox to still keep him. 

He is still young and has a lot of great baseball in him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Despite tonight's meltdown , he is still our best starter. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Cannot win them all... would have been nice to win but we know that there was only one piutcher who turned it around this year and it was Clay.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cannot win them all... would have been nice to win but we know that there was only one piutcher who turned it around this year and it was Clay.

[/QUOTE]

After his first six starts his ERA was 3.19; including them it was 4.22. All in all, not a bad season. Not a #1; probably a #2-3 SP IMO. Still need an ace.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In terms of how he started out this season, yes.

He had an ERA over 7.00 at the end of May. He was still over 5.00 on July 23rd.

However, in terms of recent years as compared to this year: not so sure...

2012: 4.56

2011: 3.48

2010: 2.33

One could argue he is in a pretty steep decline, if one looked only at seasonal aggregate numbers.

Buch has a 2.83 ERA his last 4 starts before tonight. He had a 3.11 ERA in his last 14 starts as compared to 5.53 his first 14.

I'd love to see him as our #2 starter over the next 2-3 years as we add an ace this winter or next.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Buchholz is a solid 2-3 as is Lester...I agree that so far neither one has proved to be that "Ace" that most teams have atop their rotation...Although if the sox dont aquire an "Ace" this winter, I would be satisfied with 4 guys like Buchholz or Lester who are very capable of 15+ wins and an ERA in the mid 3's...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

He's not that good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Buchholz has not been as consistent as a top of the rotation starter needs to be.  He has both stretches of quality starts and also stretches of poor starts, and that is why his ERA was much higher this year.

Top-of-the-rotation guys should have much longer runs of quality starts and much shorter runs of the poor starts.  I am thinking maybe sever good starts and then maybe a clunker, but not four or five clunkers in a row.

This guy seems to have need of a special pitching coach to help him with his consistency, and I am not sure that either guy this year has been of much help.  Of course, Valentine probably has not been any help either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I love him as our #3 starter.  I like him as our #2 starter.  I don't mind him as our #1 starter. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I hoping it's a case of Buchholz needing a regular off season of training.

Another year removed form his back problems may be all he needs to become more consistent.

He's not going to be the ace of the staff, but there's no reason he can't be a solid #2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

I really don't think it matters much what any of us think of Buchholz.   We have to keep him, as well as Lester.  Just 18 months ago we felt we had a team and a starting pitching staff that most expected to go all the way.  For a while that even looked possible, but in the last 14 months or so the ugly truth became too clear to ignore. You can trash the stats because no matter what they may have suggested to many of us, the on field results didn't lie!     To me at this point the ugly truth about our starting pitching is we almost have none.  What little we do have is concentrated in basically two pitchers. Neither of which this year have been what was honestly expected of them.  But who do we have to consider that is any better?  At this point IMO neither of them are worth much in any trade that might bring a real improvement.     If either of these guys were taking a place in the rotation that some possible prospect might have, I would feel differently.  But right now there is room for anyone.   I think we have no choice but to look at Buchholz and Lester as our best choices to start to rebuild a decimated pitching staff that history now has shown was really never as good as it was thought to be in the first place. We need to find someone who can work with them to get the best we can out of them. I believe they both could be counted on even next year as solid center of the rotation starters.   There is so much that this team needs right now that it makes no sense to make our job harder by giving up on these two at this point. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love him as our #3 starter.  I like him as our #2 starter.  I don't mind him as our #1 starter. 

[/QUOTE]
    I am very optimistic that Lester, Buchholz and Lackey all have good seasons next year.  Many Red Sox fans don't like Lackey, but I am hoping for a great year from him next season.  I would imagine that if he doesn't have a good season, it will be difficult for the Red Sox to trade him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

As I have watched Buccholtz and Lester pitch over the past two years, I think a large part of their problems are mental.  They need consistent strong coaches.  After Swisher hit that ball up through the middle Buccholtz totally fell apart.  As Yogi said "90% of this game is half mental.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

He seemed to have no focus last night.  The ball Cano hit was down and away, but Cano is hot and he has a ton of power, so that wasn't bad.  However, after that, he seemed to leave balls up and getting too much of the plate.  I think he was just unable to focus, and you can't do that against the Yankees any day, especially in a must win for them situation.

Overall for the season?  I say he is a good, middle of rotation pitcher.  Keep him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I am very optimistic that Lester, Buchholz and Lackey all have good seasons next year.  Many Red Sox fans don't like Lackey, but I am hoping for a great year from him next season.  I would imagine that if he doesn't have a good season, it will be difficult for the Red Sox to trade him. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Next year will be a big one for Lackey. If he can produce as a capable #2-3 p[itcher, that'll boost his trade value.

If he can modify his attitude, he could be a keeper.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

History would tell us that Lester has been a 1 or 2  2008-11...Just a bad year this year. It happens. Buchholz seemed to get his legs at the beginning of June. A couple blips on the radar, including last night, but all in all a solid showing. I look for both these guys to be at or around 15 wins next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

History would tell us that Lester has been a 1 or 2  2008-11...Just a bad year this year. It happens. Buchholz seemed to get his legs at the beginning of June. A couple blips on the radar, including last night, but all in all a solid showing. I look for both these guys to be at or around 15 wins next year.

[/QUOTE]

If Lester gets a reasonable amount of run support next year, I would hope he'd be good 17-18 wins.

15 sounds about right for Buchholz.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston will be too stupid to trade him.  It is like trading away Gio Gonzalez, Garza, Jimenez, among others who havent reach at age of 30 at the same time they are mostly a good #3 starter for any team.

You dont want to trade young pitchers for older experience pitchers like Dempster, Lowe (when he was in the mid30's), Bedard, Millwood, Saunders, etc

Boston is going to keep Lester and Bucholtz for another two to three years, but if one of them start to struggle, then it is the time to trade one of them.  I can foresee them to win ten games or more for another two to four years only if Boston have a good team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

If they can land a legit ace, sure thing #1 guy...then I'd feel confident with Lester and Buchholz as 2/3, and Lackey at #4. I'd call both Buchholz and Lester untouchable, for now at least, so if you're keeping them you have to go into next season assuming they'll pitch up to expectations. But Lackey's Lackey. Coming off an injury, not terribly good prior to the injury, sort of a "battler" who can go either way...add a proven #1, #2 & #3 pitch well, and anything positive you get from Lackey is a bonus.

I really like Buchholz, I was just thinking about how a few years ago he was untouchable because he was a potential ace. Even if he never becomes what he was projected to be I'm still happy with him over-all, just wondering if this is as good as he'll get or if there's still a chance at him becoming that top of the rotation guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]Boston will be too stupid to trade him.  It is like trading away Gio Gonzalez, Garza, Jimenez, among others who havent reach at age of 30 at the same time they are mostly a good #3 starter for any team.

You dont want to trade young pitchers for older experience pitchers like Dempster, Lowe (when he was in the mid30's), Bedard, Millwood, Saunders, etc

Boston is going to keep Lester and Bucholtz for another two to three years, but if one of them start to struggle, then it is the time to trade one of them.  I can foresee them to win ten games or more for another two to four years only if Boston have a good team.[/QUOTE]
    So you believe in trading low.