Buckner?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Buckner?

Well, I have come 180 degrees on bobby V.  Before the press conference I was totally psyched for this new era, which was very different than I felt at the beginning of the month.  The man has won me over.  And, his press conference moved me.  To boot, he is wearing Tony C's number.  AND, this one hits me deep, is tehre really the possibility of Billy Buckner coming on the coaching staff?!?  I love it.  talk about the final healing of a great wound.  Karmically, that can only be a great thing for the Sox.  Agree?  Disagree?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Buckner?

In Response to Buckner?:
    [QUOTE]Well, I have come 180 degrees on bobby V.  Before the press conference I was totally psyched for this new era, which was very different than I felt at the beginning of the month.  The man has won me over.  And, his press conference moved me.  To boot, he is wearing Tony C's number.  AND, this one hits me deep, is tehre really the possibility of Billy Buckner coming on the coaching staff?!?  I love it.  talk about the final healing of a great wound.  Karmically, that can only be a great thing for the Sox.  Agree?  Disagree?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]  IM WITH YOU SPACE.....  LORD KNOWS THAT I HAVE SLUNG A FEW BARBS IN MY 8,000+ POSTS ON THIS BOARD.... HOWEVER, I THANK THEO & TITO FOR THEIR 8 YEARS AND WISH THEM WELL.....  LIKE EVERY NEW SEASON, THE "SHOW MUST/WILL GO ON" !!!  I AM READY TO EMBRACE BEN, BOBBY V. & LUCCIANO's TOO !!!! ALSO, GRAT THOUGHTS ON BILL BUCKNER, WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM BACK AT FENWAY !!!  NOW AS DAD WOULD SAY...... "SON, LETS GET ON TO THE HOT STOVE" !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Only a superficial Sox fan would still be throwing stigmas and negative thoughts regarding Buckner as a Sox. If he gets hired great, if he doesn't what does it matter as I've always held Bucks as a classy, clutch player. He was one of baseball's fastest guys when he broke his ankle as a Dodger, then he turned into a terrific hitter over a long career for Cubs/Sox. There is no healing, only from fans who never knew better about 1986. Btw, Calvin Schiraldi totally came off as a class act after the fact when he was on the MLB Channel with Costas. Schiraldi took the tough questions and watched the video of his meltdown, and I have a great respect for him. He probably still takes more hits from most Sox fans over 86. Too bad Calvin's teammate is a lying sack--Rocket.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Buckner?:
    [QUOTE]Only a superficial Sox fan would still be throwing stigmas and negative thoughts regarding Buckner as a Sox. If he gets hired great, if he doesn't what does it matter as I've always held Bucks as a classy, clutch player. He was one of baseball's fastest guys when he broke his ankle as a Dodger, then he turned into a terrific hitter over a long career for Cubs/Sox. There is no healing, only from fans who never knew better about 1986. Btw, Calvin Schiraldi totally came off as a class act after the fact when he was on the MLB Channel with Costas. Schiraldi took the tough questions and watched the video of his meltdown, and I have a great respect for him. He probably still takes more hits from most Sox fans over 86. Too bad Calvin's teammate is a lying sack--Rocket.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

OK Danny.  Of course no healing is necessary as far as anyone, at this point, needing to let go of anything in regards to Buckner.  Thats not really what i meant.  I just think, given the events of 86 and subsequent stigmas and goat-labeling, it would be a really cool full circle in the Red Sox story.  I don't imply that anything needs to be "healed' in the here and now.  Only that in the great karmic ebb and flow of baseball, it would open a great untapped channel of baseball love for billy to be back in a Sox uni.  not to mention that he is a great baseball guy and sharp baseball mind, so it could only be a plus.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Buckner?:
    [QUOTE]Well, I have come 180 degrees on bobby V.  Before the press conference I was totally psyched for this new era, which was very different than I felt at the beginning of the month.  The man has won me over.  And, his press conference moved me.  To boot, he is wearing Tony C's number.  AND, this one hits me deep, is tehre really the possibility of Billy Buckner coming on the coaching staff?!?  I love it.  talk about the final healing of a great wound.  Karmically, that can only be a great thing for the Sox.  Agree?  Disagree?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You're right on as usual, Space. Love the Tony C thing and do think Buckner involvement would be healing. I remember that following the 86 WS, I had to take a year off from even thinking about the Sox, but time heals all wounds, and that disaster is a distant memory, which has been largely exorcised by '04 and '07. So why not take the final step. Besides, the only true disaster the Sox can endure is not letting a lead slip away in extra innings but allowing a team to take the field "playing soft". I don't care what the players want, the Sox need a manager who will get them playing hard again, and I expect Bobby V will do that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

I agree.. Good thoughts and post

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Buckner?:

Totally agree, Space.  Like you, I did a u-turn in thinking on Bobby V as well, though i have some reservations.

Also, the terms of his contract - two years with single options for two more - are about right.  Bobby V tends to wear out his welcome, and I think the contract takes that into account.

But he is showing proper respect and reverence for all things Fenway.  Wearing Tony C's #25 as a tribute just rocked me to the core, having grown up in Lynn and - like Tony C - having gone to St. Mary's there.  Whoa.

And he may be exactly what the Red Sox need in this time and in this place.

Which leads us to the subject of Mr.  Buckner.  Great idea. Want to see it happen.  Billy B is more than welcome, say I, as he has the intelligence, skills and grit to be a great coach.  Teach them a bit more patience at the plate, Billy, please.

We shall see, said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw.

I am still seething over the way the FO threw Tito under the bus, and I am taking some time getting over it, but Bobby V had nothing to do with that. 

Fasten the seatbelts, fellow travelers. It is going to be some bumpy ride.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Buckner? : Totally agree, Space.  Like you, I did a u-turn in thinking on Bobby V as well, though i have some reservations. Also, the terms of his contract - two years with single options for two more - are about right.  Bobby V tends to wear out his welcome, and I think the contract takes that into account. But he is showing proper respect and reverence for all things Fenway.  Wearing Tony C's #25 as a tribute just rocked me to the core, having grown up in Lynn and - like Tony C - having gone to St. Mary's there.  Whoa. And he may be exactly what the Red Sox need in this time and in this place. Which leads us to the subject of Mr.  Buckner.  Great idea. Want to see it happen.  Billy B is more than welcome, say I, as he has the intelligence, skills and grit to be a great coach.  Teach them a bit more patience at the plate, Billy, please. We shall see, said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw. I am still seething over the way the FO threw Tito under the bus, and I am taking some time getting over it, but Bobby V had nothing to do with that.  Fasten the seatbelts, fellow travelers. It is going to be some bumpy ride.  
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

I hear you Summer.  They did Tito wrong in the worst way.  But that is another check mark in Spaceman's plus column for Bobby V.  If they jettisoned Tito, kicking him in the azz on the way out the door, and then brought in some Tito-lite guy (see Luvollo, Sveum), that would have been really sad.  Instead, they just shake the whole thing up and start anew.  The only way forward out of the black hole of the season end 2011.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Buckner on the staff will have zero affect on team performance. As long as it isn't the pitching coach, bench coach or hitting coach, it would be a good gesture. 1st base coach sounds fine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Buckner on the staff will have zero affect on team performance. As long as it isn't the pitching coach, bench coach or hitting coach, it would be a good gesture. 1st base coach sounds fine.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Sort of agree.  Yeah, the gesture would be good.  Like i said, it is just a karmic vibe for us hippy yoga fruitcakes.  Or, it might be that the vibe of having a guy like Bill around would rub off a little on the players and subtly affect the 'culture'.  I don't think you can make a blanket statement that will have zero effect on team performance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]Buckner on the staff will have zero affect on team performance. As long as it isn't the pitching coach, bench coach or hitting coach, it would be a good gesture. 1st base coach sounds fine.

Regarding effect on team performance, I'd like to think otherwise, because Buckner was as tough as nails.  If he joins the staff, I couldn't see him standing for all the crap that went on in the clubhouse in 2011.  Agree that 1B coach is about right.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I can make the statement that Buckner will have zero affect on team performance, and just did. Manager has a little affect in mondern Big Labor era of baseball, and so does hitting and pitching coach. Unless manager is de facto GM, and he needs to be or he has no real authority over clubhouse members, upstairs is what it comes down to.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I can make the statement that Buckner will have zero affect on team performance, and just did. Manager has a little affect in mondern Big Labor era of baseball, and so does hitting and pitching cost. Unless manager is de facto GM, and he needs to be or he has no real authority over clubhouse members, upstairs is what it comes down to.  
     Not about authority.  Just about culture.  If you think that it means nothing, ok.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

I agree with many here, Buckner on the staff would be wonderful. He was a real gamer, with 2,700 plus hits, the guy has the right to talk hitting and people should listen. That would be awesome.  And I love Bobby V at the helm, Mr. Henry and company great job from a Sox fan since 1966.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

All this is about is shuffling of the cards.

Just like you do before you deal a new hand of poker.

If after all this shuffling,if they have removed a few aces and added some jokers...the result will not be any better.

Right now, they are still missing some good cards, a closer, a rightfielder, a shortstop, bullpen help and reliable starting pitchers. Not to mention we don't know who the DH will be.

The off field nonsense is settled, for better or worse. We have a clone of Epstein and an opposite of Francona. These guys need to get to business and find the players who want to win games not just sit back and pitch their 6 innings and go have a beer.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buckner? : I hear you Summer.  They did Tito wrong in the worst way.  But that is another check mark in Spaceman's plus column for Bobby V.  If they jettisoned Tito, kicking him in the azz on the way out the door, and then brought in some Tito-lite guy (see Luvollo, Sveum), that would have been really sad.  Instead, they just shake the whole thing up and start anew.  The only way forward out of the black hole of the season end 2011.

Good take on this situation, Space. I agree. Great posts!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you are 100% correct on this my lefthanded friend...it is karmic justice and cleansing...love this move too...

In Response to Buckner?:

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Not about authority. Just about culture

Culture comes from Manager, to a small degree, but mostly from contract player selections from GM. Players are the culture, which is why non-producing veteran leadership not under contract should not be offered contracts. Veteran players under contract who are not producing or are clubhouse cancers need to be traded at first best opportunity trade window.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I think it will be wonderful for Buckner and the Sox. Talk about experience.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Is Scharaldi avaialble for bullpen coach?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Stop it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Buckner?:
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]I dunno, I'm still kind of p#ssed that Gorman traded Eck for Billy Bucks.