Bullpen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Bullpen

Didn't see a thread on this, but Tazawa and Workman were terrific last night. Tazawa comes in in the 7th with the bases juiced and handles the situation nicely with a ground ball to first. Then Workman pitches a clean 8th in the biggest game of maybe his entire big league life. I gotta tell you I was nervous about that but I figured he was a better pick than a struggling Breslow. I know that Uehara was phenomenal again but Taz and Workman also deserve a little love.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Bullpen

Agreed but their pen needs a little tweaking next year

Andrew Miller will help and I'd like Koji to have an equal - actually, I prefer that he go back to setting up.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

There will be some new faces in 2014 ... Breslo will be gone. Morales too....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Andrew Miller will help and I'd like Koji to have an equal - actually, I prefer that he go back to setting up.......

[/QUOTE] Andrew Miller will only help if he can consistently take the mound and throw strikes. That's been a big "if" with him. As for Uehara, he posts one of the greatest seasons ever for a closer. Stats-wise he was as good or better than the Sandman at his best. And you wanrt him to go back to setting up? I'm not sure I get that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Allen Webster is a bullpen arm.  No reason he cannot be a 1.5-2.0 WAR arm in the pen, starting in 2014...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Andrew Miller will only help if he can consistently take the mound and throw strikes. That's been a big "if" with him. As for Uehara, he posts one of the greatest seasons ever for a closer. Stats-wise he was as good or better than the Sandman at his best. And you wanrt him to go back to setting up? I'm not sure I get that. 

[/QUOTE]

Miller was throwing K's this year and had an insane K/9 rate

Yes, I don't think Koji can repeat.  He was over-exposed.  At 88 MPH they will eventually figure him out.  I know everyone says they were 100% confident when he took the mound but he scared the heck out of me.  Don't get me wrong, I want him back but I don't want another Keith Foulke, sophmore jinx part 2..........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Allen Webster is a bullpen arm.  No reason he cannot be a 1.5-2.0 WAR arm in the pen, starting in 2014...

[/QUOTE]

maybe (but why cite WAR for a reliever?  I'd go w/ WHIP....1.25 would be a nice target and perhaps a 10K's/9IP ratio too....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I don't think Koji can repeat.  He was over-exposed.  At 88 MPH they will eventually figure him out.  I know everyone says they were 100% confident when he took the mound but he scared the heck out of me.  Don't get me wrong, I want him back but I don't want another Keith Foulke, sophmore jinx part 2..........

[/QUOTE] Okay, if not Uehara as closer who replaces him? Certainly not Hanrahan or Bailey!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Okay, if not Uehara as closer who replaces him? Certainly not Hanrahan or Bailey!

[/QUOTE]

I don't know.  It's a great question.  I would say No to Bailey and MAYBE to Hanrahan.  I'd like to see what else is out there via trade as the FA list is weak.  But I do not trust Ben to make any trades for relievers so it's a tough one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Why would Breslow be gone?  They have a 2 year deal for him at 3.125 per though 2014......Morales maybe but he's also under team control for even less $ as a Year 1 ARB

I wish people would check these details before posting random statements......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why would Breslow be gone?  They have a 2 year deal for him at 3.125 per though 2014......Morales maybe but he's also under team control for even less $ as a Year 1 ARB

[/QUOTE]

Breslow will be back.  I hope Morales is, but soxprospects.com highlights him as a trade candidate.  And really, for teams looking for low-cost SP, he might have some appeal...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Breslow will be back.  I hope Morales is, but soxprospects.com highlights him as a trade candidate.  And really, for teams looking for low-cost SP, he might have some appeal...

[/QUOTE]

yes, Morales would fit the mold for that.  i have him on my team next year but more for depth than anything, i already have 5 other relievers plus an ear mark for a big acquisition

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nice to have options for the bullpen. I know Bailey has had lots of injury issues but I hope they bring him back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice to have options for the bullpen. I know Bailey has had lots of injury issues but I hope they bring him back.

[/QUOTE]

Bailey is like the Buchholtz of relievers!  lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Thanks for asking .....  Because he is not as good as he has pitched the last 2 months......  J F , lost confidence in him in the playoffs......  Put another way, he is just not over powering......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Thanks for asking .....  Because he is not as good as he has pitched the last 2 months......  J F , lost confidence in him in the playoffs......  Put another way, he is just not over powering......

[/QUOTE]

uh huh, and where is Breslow going exactly?  You just going to release him and pay him the $3.125 million you owe him?  Knowing he is one of the better left handed relievers in baseball even though he had a couple of recent hicups?  JF didn't lose confidence, he just knew he couldn't continue to over expose him; Brez was warming up last night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Koji is the closer. I was a bit worried how he would be able to handle a defeat. But he never had to. Now that he has brung us a ring, a regular season blown save will be like water on a duck's back.

Miller was getting real good before he had the freak leg injury. He had a 1.21 WHIP and 1.31 ERA with a ton of K's in his last 21 innings. I wished we had him in this years playoffs.

Workman pitched 8.2 innings of shutout baseball in this years playoffs. I loved his calm demeanor. However, do you want to waste him as a middleman in the pen? I think I would start him out again as a starter in AAA. And play it by ear.

I am still very high on Alan Webster. He was great in the minors early, came up and was very bad. Went back to AAA and was awful his first couple of starts, probably messed up a bit in the head. Then got it together again and was very good down the stretch. I start him in AAA just like Workman. My main concern about Webster is his expressions on the mound and that worries me if he becomes a reliever. He needs to improve his mound presence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Koji is the closer. I was a bit worried how he would be able to handle a defeat. But he never had to. Now that he has brung us a ring, a regular season blown save will be like water on a duck's back.

Miller was getting real good before he had the freak leg injury. He had a 1.21 WHIP and 1.31 ERA with a ton of K's in his last 21 innings. I wished we had him in this years playoffs.

Workman pitched 8.2 innings of shutout baseball in this years playoffs. I loved his calm demeanor. However, do you want to waste him as a middleman in the pen? I think I would start him out again as a starter in AAA. And play it by ear.

I am still very high on Alan Webster. He was great in the minors early, came up and was very bad. Went back to AAA and was awful his first couple of starts, probably messed up a bit in the head. Then got it together again and was very good down the stretch. I start him in AAA just like Workman. My main concern about Webster is his expressions on the mound and that worries me if he becomes a reliever. He needs to improve his mound presence.

[/QUOTE]

not a bad plan but I am telling you all right now, I want a fire throwing closer next year.  if i am wrong i will proclaim it but that is what i would want

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

not a bad plan but I am telling you all right now, I want a fire throwing closer next year.  if i am wrong i will proclaim it but that is what i would want

[/QUOTE]

Why?

Closers have this misconceived requirement that they need to be flame throwers.  Plenty of successful closers were not flamethrowers, and even more high heat Brain Dead Heavers were complete duds as closers.

Take the guy who  never walks anyone.  Control was the only weapon in Dennis Eckersley's arsenal, and he managed to not only completely turn his career around as a non-flame throwing closer, he parlayed his success into Cooperstown.

Fernando Rodney averaged 96.5mph on his fastball last season. Uehara averaged 89.2.  Which one would you prefer in there with the game on the line? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In very much the same way fans overvalue closers, they undervalue middle relief work. 

If Workman and Webster are added to the bullpen mix with Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, and 2 of the 3 from Miller, Morales and Britton, the Sox could have a formidable shut-down bullpen that does not totally rely on three pitchers only in key games.

Really, I am surpised GMs have not figured out the Moneyball advantage of middle relief, and how it is a very cheap way to take a powerful advantage.  (Although I think Billy Beane might have figured this out.)

Also, I think Webster lacks the stamina to be a starting option.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

uh huh, and where is Breslow going exactly?  You just going to release him and pay him the $3.125 million you owe him?  Knowing he is one of the better left handed relievers in baseball even though he had a couple of recent hicups?  JF didn't lose confidence, he just knew he couldn't continue to over expose him; Brez was warming up last night.

[/QUOTE]He will be part of the 2014 "TRANSFORMATION" !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Breslow will be here. Hes under contract and a good LHP who can get out both RH and LH hitters. If they non tender Morales, then he will be gone.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tz8qHiYrIzlFtVnly7gibjw&output=html

Here Bill, please save this link.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kinda hard to figure out a ball that always looks the same coming in but has unbeleiveable late break. He can throw 88 all day and they might not "figure it out".

Either way, hes earned to at least start as the closer next year. Though, Im sure there will be someone that can step in if Koji falls.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would move all the often injured pitchers before moving Breslow.  Meaning Miller, Bailey among others are all gone!!  

But Breslow have been pitching well most part of the year.  That is all matter.  Once Britton get better, once Workman get better, etc, Breslow could be the last man in the bulpen that Farrell could use in the post season.

Boston just need a good experience healthy bullpen pitchings!!!  Breslow fits into that profile!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would move all the often injured pitchers before moving Breslow.  Meaning Miller, Bailey among others are all gone!!  

But Breslow have been pitching well most part of the year.  That is all matter.  Once Britton get better, once Workman get better, etc, Breslow could be the last man in the bulpen that Farrell could use in the post season.

Boston just need a good experience healthy bullpen pitchings!!!  Breslow fits into that profile!!

[/QUOTE]

I would also add Buchholz to that list.  He is never healthy and I don't believe has been healthy for an entire season.   I realize he is a great pitcher but not very dependable.