BV: A disaster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

BV: A disaster

Or, do three strikes still make an out?

It would be unprecidented to fire a manager in April of his first year; however, there seems to be no alternative. The "intelligent" new manager has shown up as the "glib" new manager. And without a clue about being a manager. First there was watching reliever in his second start (in years) try and throw his 100th+ pitch anywhere near the plate. Then he spouts off to the press about one of the most intgense players in baseball.

--THEN, the coups de grace, he lets his ace pitcher try and throw his 80-something pitch IN THE SECOND INNING!

And, just for the record, Bonds would have still been leading off after he bacame the game's best hitter, had BV been his manager. JE would not be on the DL had he been hitting third or fourth. And that's a fact!

It may hurt, but this man has to go---back to his NY radio show, ESPN, who cares, but please, RS management, do what has to be done!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Re: BV: A disaster

bosoxmal,

He has to give the starter a chance to settle down. If he had taken Lester out earlier he would have (correctly) been criticized for having a quick hook.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In Response to Re: BV: A disaster:
    [QUOTE]bosoxmal, He has to give the starter a chance to settle down. If he had taken Lester out earlier he would have (correctly) been criticized for having a quick hook.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

A chance to settle down? Really? He had thrown 80+ pitches in less than 2 innings! It isn't as much about effectiveness; it's about arm strength and ability to get the ball some where near home plate at a decent velocity! Settle down, my foot. 60 pitches in one inning is the equivelent of somebody throwing 160 pitches for a full game! He was totally out of gas half way through the second inning!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

He threw 49 pitches in the second inning before Bobby took him out. Perhaps a little slow to make a move, but nothing more. Regardless of whether you understand it the manager has to give his starter a chance to settle down, because the last thing he wants is to go to the bullpen that early in the game.

Consider the fact that after Lester left Texas scored 11 more times, the sox once. Lester being left in a little too long was the least of the problems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

A 7-2 lead after two, is not insurmountable. For lester 80 pitches, is nothing. Even when Francona was managing he threw well over 100 pitches at times. He may have been able to throw 3 more innnings economically, something he has done many times. Valentine had to give him an opportunity.

Face it. You just don't like Valentine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to BV: A disaster:
    [QUOTE]Or, do three strikes still make an out? It would be unprecidented to fire a manager in April of his first year; however, there seems to be no alternative. The "intelligent" new manager has shown up as the "glib" new manager. And without a clue about being a manager. First there was watching reliever in his second start (in years) try and throw his 100th+ pitch anywhere near the plate. Then he spouts off to the press about one of the most intgense players in baseball. --THEN, the coups de grace, he lets his ace pitcher try and throw his 80-something pitch IN THE SECOND INNING! And, just for the record, Bonds would have still been leading off after he bacame the game's best hitter, had BV been his manager. JE would not be on the DL had he been hitting third or fourth. And that's a fact! It may hurt, but this man has to go---back to his NY radio show, ESPN, who cares, but please, RS management, do what has to be done!
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

You mean where Gonzalez and Ortiz hit?  Would JE have had higher than his .591 OPS hitting 3rd of 4th?  Dumbest line of the day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I actually had trouble deciding which line in the OP was the dumbest.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It' not like last night was game 7 of the WS.

Even if a starter is having a bad night early in the game, you leave them in there so they can work out their problems.  And if you're way behind in a game, you put your questionable relievers in so they can work out their problems.

You don't sit hitters in a slump and you don't have a quick hook with Starting Pitchers who are struggling.  The only way a hitter can get out of a slump is to see live pitching and the pnly way a pitcher can work out a problem is to pitch in a game.

I'm no fan of Bobby V. but a lot of the criticism is just plain dumb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]Bosoxmal: What did you think of these managers that you must have followed in your 88 years of life. Joe Cronin Pinky Higgins (bigot) Billy Jurgess Don Zimmer (1978) playing Hobson with bone chips in his elbow Jimy Williams ( didn't have a clue) Billy Jurgiss Billy Herman Butch Hobson
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Dick Williams was probably the best, with Cronin a close second. (Last time I checked, I was 87, not 88)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]A 7-2 lead after two, is not insurmountable. For lester 80 pitches, is nothing. Even when Francona was managing he threw well over 100 pitches at times. He may have been able to throw 3 more innnings economically, something he has done many times. Valentine had to give him an opportunity. Face it. You just don't like Valentine.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Well, I wanted Maddon but, that being unrealistic I applauded the choice of BV. So, it is a big, big, disappointment; discovering this guy is all talk. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I wanted Maddon but, that being unrealistic I applauded the choice of BV. So, it is a big, big, disappointment; discovering this guy is all talk. 

You've discovered that he is all talk after 11 games?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

On one hand , we have fans saying ," what are you worried about , we have a better record than we did at this time last year."  On the other hand , we have fans saying , " Valentine stinks , I want Tito back."  Sometimes it is even the same fans saying both things.  It can be confusing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]On one hand , we have fans saying ," what are you worried about , we have a better record than we did at this time last year."  On the other hand , we have fans saying , " Valentine stinks , I want Tito back."  Sometimes it is even the same fans saying both things.  It can be confusing.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I didn't say I wanted Francona back. I said Naddon was my first choice. I don't understand why Tek wasn't considered. It wouldn't take much to make a great case for him. It's no secret that many very good managers have been former catchers. And Tek certainly is smart enough!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

bosoxmal,

Are you seriously suggesting that Jason Varitek should have been selected to replace Francona?

What evidence is there that he's capable or even interested?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Granite2000. Show Granite2000's posts

How many games have the Red Sox won since BV launched his public attack on Kevin Youkilis?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Bobby V. was not hired to manage these guys to a championship.  He was hired to be a distraction.  He was hired to deflect responsibility for the team's performance.

The team is playing as constructed.  Sure, Youk is struggling a bit, but he'll be OK.  But the rest of the team?  Who is underperforming?  Who is performing below realistic expectations?

Ownership is to blame for this team.  The team has a really good group of core players, but some important complimentary parts aren't there (a bullpen for example).

So stop blaming the players and stop blaming Bobby V. and place blame where it belongs:  Ownership.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't say I wanted Francona back. I said Naddon was my first choice. I don't understand why Tek wasn't considered. It wouldn't take much to make a great case for him. It's no secret that many very good managers have been former catchers. And Tek certainly is smart enough!
      There's a reason players don't become instant managers. Tek was right in the middle of the fiasco of last September and you expect him to not only come discipline his former teammates as the new saviour/ manager but also have the managerial skills normally honed in the minor leagues??? He'd be chewed up and spit out by this job and the memories he created with his playing days would soon be ellipsed by his managerial legacy. Like it or not, Bobby V. can handle this dubious chore. There's a reason Mike Maddox withdrew his candidacy.