By Spending a Fortune, Dodgers Are Overwhelming Favorites to Win 2013 World Title

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: By Spending a Fortune, Dodgers Are Overwhelming Favorites to Win 2013 World Title

I hope they fall on their faces...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: By Spending a Fortune, Dodgers Are Overwhelming Favorites to Win 2013 World Title

How can they lose with great players like Matt Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Dodgers are pretty good on paper. They would be an immense disappointment for they don't win at least the NLCS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

some hints there last names begin with  B  G C  AND  ALL 3 have one thing in common they don,t care

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

and  the  ones in there pitching staff  and he will ruin it as we saw here

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

There is a correlation between payroll and success; however, the correlation is very far from 1:1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they are as good as their spending for 2013, the Dodgers will be expected to win it all by those who belive "you have to pay the market".

[/QUOTE]

The Dodgers have a ton of talent but will have a great deal of pressure on them to win it all.  I give them two years before they become another financially strapped team with little return on their investment and 0 rings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

But they have to win because Matt Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez are both worth their contracts and are such great superstars that they always earn their money so failure is simply not an option. This one-two combo alone guarantees a championship. They are such a perfect "fit and value" nothing can go wrong. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Washington, imo, is better, maybe SF too.  LA has a SS that can't field his position, and I don't know who their 2B, 3B, and catcher will be.  And CC and Ethier are no sure things.  I don't know who their lead-off hitter is, and I am not overy impressed by League.

They remind me a  bit of the 2011 LAA when they signed an overrated player, imo, in a slot where they didn't need much help.  LAD was practically first in ERA, and spent a whole lot of money to upgrade their pitching.  Now they have Capuano 3.72, Harang 3.61, and Lilly 3.14, on the trading block.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah Softy you're right, financial assets have nothing to do with funding a good farm system, hiring the best scouts and talent, and paying the best free agents to play with you. 

That's why moneyball and small market teams have won so many championships - not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But they have to win because Matt Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez are both worth their contracts and are such great superstars that they always earn their money so failure is simply not an option. This one-two combo alone guarantees a championship. They are such a perfect "fit and value" nothing can go wrong. 

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that irony and sarcasm are completely lost on softlaw...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

We haven't  had a team this much of a sure thing since the sox and phillies two years ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Dodgers may have a great team on paper, but the season still has to play out and that doesn't always favor the team with the highest payroll.  However, what a high payroll does guarantee is high expectations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We haven't  had a team this much of a sure thing since the sox and phillies two years ago.

[/QUOTE]

Amen

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If you dont pay "market value" for a FA, you will not get said FA.

By your thinking, oh soft one, we would sign every dumpster dive player there is because all the good ones would laugh at the offers you suggest. So yes, you have to pay the market if you want these players. It is what it is and will not change because you dont agree with it. The only thing it will change is the team and the lack of talent on it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

By your thinking, oh soft one, we would sign every dumpster dive player there is because all the good ones would laugh at the offers you suggest. So yes, you have to pay the market if you want these players. It is what it is and will not change because you dont agree with it. The only thing it will change is the team and the lack of talent on it.

[/QUOTE]

Last year, softy suggested we offer 5 pitchers $1M/1 yr contracts: all signed for $3M or more per year.

This year, he has talked up a big storm, but only suggested offers like

J Guthrie $10M/2 (He got $25M/3)

Napoli  $20M/3 (He got $39M/3)

J Saunders $1M/1 (Not signed yet)

Yeah, it's easy to criticize Ben for overpaying, and I have done my share this winter, but if we followed softy's plan over the past few years, we'd have no free agents at all, except maybe  a few from years ago,Nick Johnson, Ben Sheets, and E Bedard (all right before their off or injured years) and VMart before his injury year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last year, softy suggested we offer 5 pitchers $1M/1 yr contracts: all signed for $3M or more per year.

This year, he has talked up a big storm, but only suggested offers like

J Guthrie $10M/2 (He got $25M/3)

Napoli  $20M/3 (He got $39M/3)

J Saunders $1M/1 (Not signed yet)

Yeah, it's easy to criticize Ben for overpaying, and I have done my share this winter, but if we followed softy's plan over the past few years, we'd have no free agents at all, except maybe  a few from years ago,Nick Johnson, Ben Sheets, and E Bedard (all right before their off or injured years) and VMart before his injury year.

[/QUOTE]

Hed be a good GM for a team with a budget of 60M...Not 180M. Well,  probably not a good GM at all, but you know what I mean :)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Sure, the Didgers have spent a fortune.

And yes, teh dodgers now have an incredible roster.

But look at what our sox have done.  Are you overlooking the Gomes acquisition already? 

Gomes will make you all forget about Billy Hatcher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I hope the Dodgers fizzle and fade by August.... I do not respect such extravagant spending.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I predict the Dodgers win nothing. The biggest thing they have against them, and IMO, it IS the biggest thing, is team chemistry. They can buy all the best players on the market, but what you're left with is a bunch of superstars who don't necessarily know each other, or care about each other, and they all believe they're the star on the team. Sounds more like a nightmare. I'll be enjoying the inevitable fallout.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.