Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Sox decade long SS merry-go-round continues...

Sox4ever

The must like Bogey and/or Marrero better than Iggy...They certainly are determined to have a revolving door at SS though arent they?

[/QUOTE]

It appears that way, but I am not too high On Boggy's fielding at SS and liked the idea of him at 3B. That may have ended up logjamming 3rd if Cecchini continues to rocket to the top.

After sleeping on this trade, it makes more sense than I originally felt, but I can't help but lament for what I had wished for over so many years is now gone: a great fielding full time SS for several years.

I'm glad we didn't have to part with Boggy, Cecchini, Owens, JBJ or Ranaudo. We didn't even have to lose Workman, Webster, DLR, Barnes or Swihart. We got 1.3 years instead of 0.3 years. 

It all comes down to health and years of team control on how this trade will be judged years from now.

[/QUOTE]

I understand everyones issue with the revolving door at SS. Al;though Bogey isnt a good defensively as Iggy (who is?) I think the offense more than makes up for it. Hes still good defensively and certainly not a liability. Bogey is a more balanced SS than Iggy.
    Im still concerned about Peavys health. the good thing is the last injury had absolutely nothing to do with prior arm issues. The Sox must have looked at the medicals of his arm and felt it was Ok, and pitching 30+ games last year made them feel a bit more comfortable making the deal as well.

With all that said, if you can get a pitcher like Jake Peavy for that price, you do it.Besides Iggy, we gave up 2 future BP arms and a future UI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

What happens next year? Resign Drew? Bogaerts as a starter? Intresting.
    Almost same situation as this year, with Iggy.

I like it. If this is the case, Sox should not lolligag, they should bring up Bogaerts now, and put him in the same situation as Iggy was this year. Get him ready, start getting that mental toughness. Pennant drive best time.

Bogey and Middy, with Cecchini just about ready is my guess.

I wish this didn't smell quite so much like Michael Young.  They're not going to bring Bogarts up now in the middle of a pennant race, give him 3B (a position he's not familiar with) and tell him it's his to lose. 

They created a huge problem on the left side of the IF to get Peavey and I hope they don't try to "fix" that problem with Young.  But I don't know what else they're going to do.  They act like they're committing to Bogarts as the SS of the future  now, so who plays 3B, now or in '14? Right now Young looks like the "logical"  (UGH!) choice as he'd be a rental for the remainder of this year, but only because he's a rental, and IMO that's a poor reason to be picking someone up. 

Up until last night this team was set with a cost controlled IF for the next several years.  They had four prospects to fill three positions.  They had Iggy, Middy, Bogarts, and Cecchini almost ready to play and they also had Marerro coming up as a backup.  Remembering that not every prospect pans out, that gave them the chance to pick the three they wanted to keep and store the other(s) in Pawtucket or use them as trade bait.  Now they've hamstrung themselves and have to hope that all of them make the bigs. 

The more I think about this trade the more I really don't like it.  Maybe that's partly because as "max" said in another thread, without Iggy this team isn't going to be as much fun to watch, but it's also because it did something I didn't want to see done - mortgaging the future in the hope of quick success. 

IMO that's why the Sox went 84 years being always the bridesmaid and never the bride.  Just when I felt the FO had learned something from that 84 years it's appearing that they didn't.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

I like it. If this is the case, Sox should not lolligag, they should bring up Bogaerts now, and put him in the same situation as Iggy was this year. Get him ready, start getting that mental toughness. Pennant drive best time.

I wish this didn't smell quite so much like Michael Young.  They're not going to bring Bogarts up now in the middle of a pennant race, give him 3B (a position he's not familiar with) and tell him it's his to lose. 

They created a huge problem on the left side of the IF to get Peavey and I hope they don't try to "fix" that problem with Young.  But I don't know what else they're going to do.  They act like they're committing to Bogarts as the SS of the future  now, so who plays 3B, now or in '14? Right now Young looks like the "logical"  (UGH!) choice as he'd be a rental for the remainder of this year, but only because he's a rental, and IMO that's a poor reason to be picking someone up. 

Up until last night this team was set with a cost controlled IF for the next several years.  They had four prospects to fill three positions.  They had Iggy, Middy, Bogarts, and Cecchini almost ready to play and they also had Marerro coming up as a backup.  Remembering that not every prospect pans out, that gave them the chance to pick the three they wanted to keep and store the other(s) in Pawtucket or use them as trade bait.  Now they've hamstrung themselves and have to hope that all of them make the bigs. 

The more I think about this trade the more I really don't like it.  Maybe that's partly because as "max" said in another thread, without Iggy this team isn't going to be as much fun to watch, but it's also because it did something I didn't want to see done - mortgaging the future in the hope of quick success. 

IMO that's why the Sox went 84 years being always the bridesmaid and never the bride.  Just when I felt the FO had learned something from that 84 years it's appearing that they didn't.   

[/QUOTE]

They have 2 potential SS and 3 potential 3b..Im not seeing where they are hamstrung S5. Bogey is basically ready for MLB and Middy has improved on everything and should be ready by 2014, if not this year. Cecchini could be ready next year as well and Marerro in a couple years, although hes fairly mediocre with the bat but also has great defense.

I dont believe they came close to mortgaging the future. Not at all. Sorry, just not seeing it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't have a good feeling about this at all.  This is the one thing I DID NOT want them to do - trade Iggy for an aging, somewhat fragile starting pitcher and in the process compromise the future of the team.

This was supposed to have been a building year, a "bridge" to 2014 and beyond, and I completely bought into that.  I was looking at a left side of the IF next year of two very young - and  cost controlled players players - and I was good with it.  I saw a slick fielding SS (Iggy) and a 3B who had the ability to play SS (Bogarts) and could hit like a corner IF, and I liked what I was seeing.  I was more than willing to see this season go down the toilet in September rather than trade that away. 

So now we have Drew at SS for the remainder of this year and...who?.... at 3B?  To get a guy who's pitched 80 innings this year?? 

I posted something a couple of weeks ago about how when you're up to your *ss in alligators it's hard to remember that you're main objective was to drain the swamp.  This team's objective this year was to build for the future and because this year's team is better than expected they forgot that. 

I'm a Sox fan and always have been, but I hope this turns out better than I'm afraid it's going to.  I see a very real possibility that we're going to look back on this in five years and put it into the category of, "Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson".     

Well stated. 

I too had hoped we would continue the direction we took with the Dodger deal. I was a bit upset this past winter that nearly every move made was did not improve our long range outlook. I stated that Ben was playing it "halfway" and was not accomplishing either of the two competing goals: try to win in 2013 or set ourselves up for 2014 and beyond. 

The great season so far this year certainly has changed my opinion on our 2013 ring chances, but I never gave up on the "long view" as being our number one priority. This deal certainly put a big chink in our 2015 and beyond outlook, especially on defense up the middle.

There's a lot of pressure on Boggy to be a decent fielding SS and a hitter that makes up for any negative on D. Most of you know my feelings on SS defense are near fanatical, so it is hard for me to like this deal, but at least Peavy, if healthy, can help us have a better ring chance for 2 playoff seasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I saw a tweet from Sean Grande that said Peavy has the eighth best WHIP in the majors among active starting pitchers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

+ million x million

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Moon, give Michael Young some more credit. He's had an excellent career, he's come up with big hits, he's reportedly a "good chemistry" player (something which does appear to actually matter as evinced by this year's worst to first or near first turnaround), and he'd likely be better offensively even now at his advanced age than Middlebrooks, Snyder, Holt, a rookie Bogaerts, or the plummeting Iglesias. Just because he's not what he once was doesn't mean he no longer offers anything of value. A lot of veteran players also tend to rise to the occasion when moving from a losing situation to a winning one. It's human nature.

The fact that Young would be a two (hopefully three!) month rental makes him more appealing, not less. It reduces his trade cost and prevents a younger player from being blocked long-term. I'm perfectly fine with a Young acquisition, provided that it not cost much in terms of prospects. I'm hopeful that the Phillies will be satisfied with a couple of Rule V non-entitities and a random A-ball guy. The Rangers need to think bigger than Michael Young to replace Nelson Cruz. The Red Sox just need someone decent.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I doubt the Red Sox add Lee after obtaining Peavy. They have the players to make such a deal happen, and it would easily make Boston the team to beat this year, but do you really want to go all-in on 2013 at the expense of 2015 and beyond? I'm more comfortable with Cherington's halfway approach of building for the future while also going for it in the present. The Red Sox can survive, if not thrive, without Iglesias. They really didn't disrupt that much of their future. To add Lee without Iglesias would likely require too much in terms of players and added salary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You have a point, and this deal DOES smack of doing a deal for a deal's sake. But they did indirectly fortify the BP, and I'm guessing they basically have a cogent plan to fill the vacancy in the IF or otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I will only cheer Young if he is accompanied by Cliff Lee. What a makeover that would be! Peavy and Lee. Heck I will take 2 Young's if that is what it takes to get Lee but honestly who are we going to trade? Bradley?

Good Lord God. NO! This team has already traded away one "untouchable prospect".  Let's not compound the problem by trading away more of them!

(and my apologies to anyone who's offended by the blasphemy)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

I will only cheer Young if he is accompanied by Cliff Lee. What a makeover that would be! Peavy and Lee. Heck I will take 2 Young's if that is what it takes to get Lee but honestly who are we going to trade? Bradley?

Good Lord God. NO! This team has already traded away one "untouchable prospect".  Let's not compound the problem by trading away more of them!

(and my apologies to anyone who's offended by the blasphemy)

[/QUOTE]

Iggy was never untouchable. wrong SS S5.

I have no issue with Young, although Id prefer not, as long as it only costs a blocked rule5 kid that wont be protected. no top 20 prospects. Hes not worth that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They have 2 potential SS and 3 potential 3b..Im not seeing where they are hamstrung S5. Bogey is basically ready for MLB and Middy has improved on everything and should be ready by 2014, if not this year. Cecchini could be ready next year as well and Marerro in a couple years, although hes fairly mediocre with the bat but also has great defense.

I dont believe they came close to mortgaging the future. Not at all. Sorry, just not seeing it.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I'm really going to miss watching Iggy play.
     Nobody fields a ball like he does.

However, when folks like Southpaw, Alex Spier and a close friend of mine, that knows more about baseball than I ever will,  say it's a good deal for the Sox, I'm not about to argue.

I've yet to see Bogearts play, if his bat is as good as advertised, we wont be pining for Iggy for long, next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

A lot of people are overthinking this trade. In going it for this year, Cherington purportedly did not want to sacrifice the future to boost the present. He stayed true to that principle.

1. Iglesias was not the shortstop of the future. Bogaerts is with Marrero as a fallback option.

2. Iglesias was not the third baseman of the future. That's to be determined between Middlebrooks and Cecchini.

3. Iglesias was no longer helping in the present. The guy dropped 100 points in his batting average in under a month. He wasn't just coming back down to earth, he was coming back down, going Jules Verne, and exiting the other side. There are plenty of other players, including Drew, and almost certainly including Bogaerts, who can provide 80% of the defensive wizardry dovetailed with much better offense.

4. Iglesias reportedly has attitude problems on a team that rightfully values chemistry. We heard these reports well before Iglesias' name was ever bandied about in trade talks, so this doesn't fit into the usual Larry Lucchino convenient post-trade demonization category, although I expect more of that to come out in the not too distant future.

In summary, the Red Sox traded someone with attitude problems who did not adequately fit into the present, who has a superior replacement for the near future, for a three-time All-Star with a top 10 WHIP, who stabilizes the rotation this year and next, and indirectly improves the bullpen.

That's a good trade. At this time next year, when Iglesias is hitting .210, good luck trading him for Bud Norris, let alone Jake Peavy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I'm really going to miss watching Iggy play.
     Nobody fields a ball like he does.

However, when folks like Southpaw, Alex Spier and a close friend of mine, that knows more about baseball than I ever will,  say it's a good deal for the Sox, I'm not about to argue.

I've yet to see Bogearts play, if his bat is as good as advertised, we wont be pining for Iggy for long, next year.

[/QUOTE]

appreciate the props 4B's...

Bogey is the real deal. Ive seen him play a few times and with all the reports by the pros who have seen him more than me, they say hes a special player. When your GM absolutely refused to even discuss his name involved in any trade, even for an ACE type pitcher. That should tell you something about how the organization, and other GM's who wanted him, feel about this kid..

I will miss Iggys glove as much as anyone, and he seemed like a genuinely good kid that loved to play baseball. With Buchs injury questions and the Sox doing much better than anyone thought, BC owed it to the fans, players and the whole organization to make a move that helps us for aug/sept and a possible PO run. For what teams were looking for in return for a starter, we got a deal.

The garza deal was equal to giving up Middy, Barnes and probably Owens and that is a for a rental who just returned from an arm issue. Peavy is the better pitcher and has another year of control and didnt cost us nearly as much. His past medical history worries some, and thats understandable. But he pitched 30+ games in 2012 and looked good. This latest injury was a rib injury and his arm is fine. health is always a concern, but a move needed to be made.

Although well liked, Iggy was expendable with our other SS options. I wish the kid the best, except when we play Detroit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Its really funny how all of these posters come out crying about Iggy when a few months back when he was hitting nothing everyone was saying how much a bust he was.... and please dont bring up the defense issue because we all know how good he is at that.... just keep reminding yoursleves how angry you got cause he couldnt hit a lick until recently and as you can see now, he is coming back to what he is as a hitter....  love Iggy and his energy but someone good had to be in the deal not named Xander 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A lot of " house " posters here. I think if Ben brought back Aaron Cook, they would say it was a good deal. He could be a good " # 5 " , pitches to contact, good insurance, never have enough pitching , etc. , etc. , etc.  Ben can do no wrong. We love Ben.  Guess what ?  Ben just traded away the shortstop we needed now and in the future.  Believe me , if Peavy breaks down like Hanrahan and Bailey did , the " house " posters will find a way to excuse it.  They will say " Injuries happen." "  Who could have predicted it ? "  " Too soon to judge the trade." " Here come the whiners." Blah, Blah , Blah.  By the way, we are in a pennant race. Where is Bogaerts? Where is Middlebrooks ?  Our left side now consists of Drew, Snyder and Holt.  How many balls get through the left side ?   Good luck with that.  I say this trade will haunt us for years. Even then , the " house posters " will defend it and attack the naysayers.  By the way, should Peavy pitch lights out and contribute in a big way to a world championship this year, I will admit that it was a great deal by Ben.  Until then, I think it was a panic induced blunder.

Stabbed by Foulke.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A lot of " house " posters here. I think if Ben brought back Aaron Cook, they would say it was a good deal. He could be a good " # 5 " , pitches to contact, good insurance, never have enough pitching , etc. , etc. , etc.  Ben can do no wrong. We love Ben.  Guess what ?  Ben just traded away the shortstop we needed now and in the future.  Believe me , if Peavy breaks down like Hanrahan and Bailey did , the " house " posters will find a way to excuse it.  They will say " Injuries happen." "  Who could have predicted it ? "  " Too soon to judge the trade." " Here come the whiners." Blah, Blah , Blah.  By the way, we are in a pennant race. Where is Bogaerts? Where is Middlebrooks ?  Our left side now consists of Drew, Snyder and Holt.  How many balls get through the left side ?   Good luck with that.  I say this trade will haunt us for years. Even then , the " house posters " will defend it and attack the naysayers.  By the way, should Peavy pitch lights out and contribute in a big way to a world championship this year, I will admit that it was a great deal by Ben.  Until then, I think it was a panic induced blunder.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Not sure why all the negativity. "haunt us for years" is pretty dramatic if you ask me. Drew, Holt UI, with Middy, Bogey and even Young as possibilities. The left side will be fine. I think your being overly dramatic about that too. You act as if every ball will get through the left side now.

Yes, theres a risk with peavy, but Iggy was NOT the future SS here, Bogaerts is. Sorry if you cant accept that, but its true. The Sox needed another starter because of Buchholz. Lackey might also experience hitting a wall this year due to his year off last year. Doubie might also experience one due to never pitching more that 160IP in a year. they needed insurance for all that. With the prices being asked for in return for a SP, the Sox would be foolish not to jump on this deal. Peavy started 30+ games last year and hasnt has any arm issues in 2+ years now. Its a risk, sure. But one that they needed to take.

I liked Iggy as much as the next guy, but understood who they, and pretty much everyone felt about Bogey. That unfortunately mad Iggy expendable. We dealt from a position of depth. I wish him all the luck, except when he plays the Sox.

Ben owed it to the organization and the fans to go for it this year. To me and many others, he has made us better and not sacrificed the future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"has Cherrington ever made a good deal?"

Well there is the Dodgers trade which cleared out massive amounts of payroll and is hte main reason we are a winning team with a good future outlook right now. 

But other than turning the franchise around with one deal, sure, pick nits. 

As for the Peavy deal , I'm not crazy about it but only an idiot would proclaim it a bad deal without seeing the result on the field first. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Well there is the Dodgers trade which cleared out massive amounts of payroll and is hte main reason we are a winning team with a good future outlook right now. 

As for the Peavy deal , I'm not crazy about it but only an idiot would proclaim it a bad deal without seeing the result on the field first. 

Would only an idiot proclaim it a good deal without seeing the result on the field first ?  Goes both ways.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Would only an idiot proclaim it a good deal without seeing the result on the field first ?  Goes both ways.

Its a good deal in theory pertaining to the Sox' situation...Thats what people mean when they say it was good. Its obvious that the result/performance on the field will give us all the true answer to whether it was a good deal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

No sir, I don't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNuqEz_GCQ

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Its a good deal in theory pertaining to the Sox' situation...Thats what people mean when they say it was good. Its obvious that the result/performance on the field will give us all the true answer to whether it was a good deal.

Of course the results on the field will ultimately decide the value of this trade.  I am just looking at it at face value. A 23 year old shortstop who is hitting .330 and is one of the best defensive shortstops you will ever see , for a 32 year old , often injured pitcher with a 4.28 ERA. A guy who has been declining the last few years. Not to even mention the difference in salaries.  Iglesias may have been blocking Bogaerts from shortstop , but certainly not from playing third or elsewhere in Boston right now.  We will have to wait and see how it all plays out. For now , I think it was a big mistake. If that makes me a " whiner " or " idiot " , so be it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to djbosox2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree 100%. It looks like they finally have have SS after years of the revolving door but they just threw it away over some washed up # 4 pitcher.

Beautiful. The curse of Theo continues.

I was refering to Theo`s numerous futile attempts at securing an everyday SS.
     Down here we call it the "Curse of Theo".

[/QUOTE

Uh ... Theo?