1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bye Bye Iggy - Heading to Detroit

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"has Cherrington ever made a good deal?"

Well there is the Dodgers trade which cleared out massive amounts of payroll and is hte main reason we are a winning team with a good future outlook right now. 

But other than turning the franchise around with one deal, sure, pick nits. 

As for the Peavy deal , I'm not crazy about it but only an idiot would proclaim it a bad deal without seeing the result on the field first. 

Would only an idiot proclaim it a good deal without seeing the result on the field first ?  Goes both ways.

Its a good deal in theory pertaining to the Sox' situation...Thats what people mean when they say it was good. Its obvious that the result/performance on the field will give us all the true answer to whether it was a good deal.

Of course the results on the field will ultimately decide the value of this trade.  I am just looking at it at face value. A 23 year old shortstop who is hitting .330 and is one of the best defensive shortstops you will ever see , for a 32 year old , often injured pitcher with a 4.28 ERA. A guy who has been declining the last few years. Not to even mention the difference in salaries.  Iglesias may have been blocking Bogaerts from shortstop , but certainly not from playing third or elsewhere in Boston right now.  We will have to wait and see how it all plays out. For now , I think it was a big mistake. If that makes me a " whiner " or " idiot " , so be it.

[/QUOTE]

Doesnt make you a whiner or an idiot...Its your opinion of the trade.

It doesnt make me a fanboy or a "rah-rah" guy because I like it either.

We all have our opinions and both sides of this trade have valid arguements.

By the way, Peavy had very good numbers last year. 3.37ERA 219IP 194K 49BB 1.096WHIP.
    Those are solid #2 numbers. Besides that, I understand your arguement even if I dont agree with it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"has Cherrington ever made a good deal?"

Well there is the Dodgers trade which cleared out massive amounts of payroll and is hte main reason we are a winning team with a good future outlook right now. 

But other than turning the franchise around with one deal, sure, pick nits. 

As for the Peavy deal , I'm not crazy about it but only an idiot would proclaim it a bad deal without seeing the result on the field first. 

Would only an idiot proclaim it a good deal without seeing the result on the field first ?  Goes both ways.

Its a good deal in theory pertaining to the Sox' situation...Thats what people mean when they say it was good. Its obvious that the result/performance on the field will give us all the true answer to whether it was a good deal.

Of course the results on the field will ultimately decide the value of this trade.  I am just looking at it at face value. A 23 year old shortstop who is hitting .330 and is one of the best defensive shortstops you will ever see , for a 32 year old , often injured pitcher with a 4.28 ERA. A guy who has been declining the last few years. Not to even mention the difference in salaries.  Iglesias may have been blocking Bogaerts from shortstop , but certainly not from playing third or elsewhere in Boston right now.  We will have to wait and see how it all plays out. For now , I think it was a big mistake. If that makes me a " whiner " or " idiot " , so be it.

[/QUOTE]

Doesnt make you a whiner or an idiot...Its your opinion of the trade.

It doesnt make me a fanboy or a "rah-rah" guy because I like it either.

We all have our opinions and both sides of this trade have valid arguements.

By the way, Peavy had very good numbers last year. 3.37ERA 219IP 194K 49BB 1.096WHIP.
    Those are solid #2 numbers. Besides that, I understand your arguement even if I dont agree with it.

[/QUOTE]

Like you said. The results over time will tell the tale. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'm not going to miss him. Defensive short-stops can be had in FA for cheap. Starting  pitchers of Peavy's caliber, even if slightly diminished by age and U.S. Cell field, not so much.

I'm more interest in the chances they actually bring Bogaerts up in a penant race. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I have never been as high on Iglesias's defense as others. Always felt he had some Asdrubal Cabrera in him. Not a lot, but some. A player that played beautiful defense and made the spectacular play, but didn't have great range or a strong arm and so was over rated. Don't get me wrong, Iglesias has much better range then Cabrera and is a much, much better defender. But Iglesias is over rated because his range[the most important part of defense at SS] was only very good at best. Not excellent or great. And his arm, although with a quick release and able to throw off balance with anybody, was just average in strength.

I have been disappointed with Iglesias's range factor numbers through out his minor league and major league career. He often had worse numbers then his team mates. This year for example, he is barely better then Xander in AAA and worse then Drew at the big league level[4.29-3.90]. Instead of making a lot more plays then Drew per game, he made nearly half a play less.  A pretty solid difference considering Drew probably only has average range and Iglesias is supposed to be Ozzie Smith. I imagine the difference is mostly SSS, but its note worthy none the less. Drew and Bogaerts also turned more double plays.

He has had strong UZR numbers so far this year. However, he has a 0 in DRS. Compare that to Andrelton Simmons who has a +28.

I just have always had a hard time viewing a player with a career RF in the minors of 4.18 and a 4.12 in the majors of being some great defensive SS.

No doubt he was fun to watch on defense, but I am cool with Drew the rest of the year. And for the first time in his reign, Cherington sold high. I think we traded a poor man's Omar Visquel. Only a lot less walks, less steals, and a bit less range. That isn't all that good.