Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field?

Did the Cardinals do that?  They didnt have Fucals when the season started, and ended up getting him via trade.  Then they went on a hot roll.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Re: Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field?

In Response to Re: Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field?:
    [QUOTE]Did the Cardinals do that?  They didnt have Fucals when the season started, and ended up getting him via trade.  Then they went on a hot roll.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Just because a player is aqcuired at the trade deadline does not mean they platoon the position.  A great example is when we traded Nomar for Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz. I would hardly say Nomar and Orlando "platooned" that year. One played then the other did. 

That being said, I do think the Sox can go to the WS with a platoon in RF or SS. When you have players with dramatic splits like we have with Ross/Sweeney in RF. It only makes sense to platoon them because they both do so much better when facing LHP/RHP respectively. 

As for SS, I think the platoon will be short lived. Punto and Aviles will start the year off platooning but once Iglesias comes up to the bigs, he will be the everyday starter, batting in the 9 hole. Punto and Aviles will serve as utility depth and late inning PH duties.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Don't forget the C postion. May not be so much a platoon but Shoppach could be a defensive replacement if the Sox carry 3 catchers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The Sox will settle on a SS at some point, it won't be a "platoon".  Lots of teams have had success working platoon situations at multiple positions. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field?:
    [QUOTE]Don't forget the C postion. May not be so much a platoon but Shoppach could be a defensive replacement if the Sox carry 3 catchers.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Actually Shoppach is hundreds of points better than Salty vs LHPs. He should start vs nearly all of them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget the C postion. May not be so much a platoon but Shoppach could be a defensive replacement if the Sox carry 3 catchers.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Also, don't forget the No. 3-4-5 starters that will likely see the bullpen overworked because they can't eat enough innings.    Neither Buchholz or the 4-5 starters will get more than 130-140 innings of work and particularly Buchholz coming off back surgery and only pitching 82.2 innings in 2011.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field?:
    [QUOTE]I can't think of a team that's done it and I think it's folly to count on trading deadline acquisitions to fill big needs on your roster.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Lots of teams use platoons.  Unless you think a RF platoon keeps you from winning while a LF platoon is fine.  I forget who won in 2004, but I heard they used 3 different SS's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The correct question is "can the Red Sox win it all without 2 middle of the order superstar complimentary sluggers"? Highly unlikely. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

If their top 6 is healthy, Ellsbury, Crawford, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz, that is absolutely enough offense to carry the team.  But to answer the platoon question.  I honestly think Iglesias will end up being the starter, whether it's game 1 or sometime during the season, he will take over.  I feel pretty confident that the RF spot could go to Kalish at some point if he can fully recover and get back to where he was pre-injury.  For now though, I think a platoon of Ross/Sweeney would be fine.  Sweeney can hit righties and is a solid fielder, Ross can hit lefties and field well enough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field? : Just because a player is aqcuired at the trade deadline does not mean they platoon the position.  A great example is when we traded Nomar for Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz. I would hardly say Nomar and Orlando "platooned" that year. One played then the other did.  That being said, I do think the Sox can go to the WS with a platoon in RF or SS. When you have players with dramatic splits like we have with Ross/Sweeney in RF. It only makes sense to platoon them because they both do so much better when facing LHP/RHP respectively.  As for SS, I think the platoon will be short lived. Punto and Aviles will start the year off platooning but once Iglesias comes up to the bigs, he will be the everyday starter, batting in the 9 hole. Punto and Aviles will serve as utility depth and late inning PH duties.
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]

And on that note, Trot Nixon, who started in the playoffs, played just 48 games in the regular season in RF. Kapler and others filled in the rest of the time. So it could be a situation where Kalish gets healthy, gets playing time and takes over the position. (Or Ross and Sweeney do just fine in a platoon).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Did the Cardinals do that?  They didnt have Fucals when the season started, and ended up getting him via trade.  Then they went on a hot roll.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Pretty close.

Ryan Theriot was their SS.  2B bounced around from Shumaker to Allen Craig.  Daniel Descalso and World Series MVP David Freese split time at 3B, too.  And CF was not a platoon. but Jon Hay did not take over until after Colby Rasmus was dealt. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If their top 6 is healthy, Ellsbury, Crawford, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz, that is absolutely enough offense to carry the team

It most certainly wasn't enough to "carry the team" in 2011. The offense was inconsistent and the year end aggregates are about as meaningful as a year long BA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In Response to Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field?:
    [QUOTE]I can't think of a team that's done it and I think it's folly to count on trading deadline acquisitions to fill big needs on your roster.
     Yhe 1968 Tigers benched their light hitting SS (Ray Oyler) and brought Mickey Stanley in from CF to play the position during the WS that year. Lolich wins 3, McLain 1.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While the Rays did not strictly platoon some of these positions, they did roatet players and try moving players to different positions throughout the season:

Innings at positions:
    SS:
    Brignac      681
    Rodriguez 431
    Johnson     338
    2B:
    B. Zobrist 1058
    Rodriguez  353
    C:
    Shoppach  626
    J. Jaso       603
    Others       220
    LF:
    S. Fuld     605
    Jennings 467 (In AAA early in season)
    Others     378
    RF:
    Joyce      1006
    Zobrist       290
    Others        153

How this work out for them?

Moving Zobrist back to 2B and Sean Rodriguez to SS allowed them to improve offense at SS & 2B and give Joyce a near FT job. They pretty much platooned their catcher position, and they replaced Fuld with Jennings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i see no problem with the platoon idea in right field if both guys can field and yet not hit well against certain pitching, but i don't like it as much at shortstop.

although the sox did not really platoon last year at short (injuries) they appeared more solid to me when either lowrie or scutaro was out there every day. too much continuity needed at short for the complete workings of the entire infield, in my opinion.

and, trading for a shortstop who then basically plays every day is not a "platoon" situation.  as mentioned, furcal was not a platoon for the cardinals last year and neither were nomar and cabrera in 2004.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]i see no problem with the platoon idea in right field if both guys can field and yet not hit well against certain pitching, but i don't like it as much at shortstop. although the sox did not really platoon last year at short (injuries) they appeared more solid to me when either lowrie or scutaro was out there every day. too much continuity needed at short for the complete workings of the entire infield, in my opinion. and, trading for a shortstop who then basically plays every day is not a "platoon" situation.  as mentioned, furcal was not a platoon for the cardinals last year and neither were nomar and cabrera in 2004.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

I really don't see us "platooning" at SS this year. We may try one guy and switch to another if it is not working out, but I seriously doubt we see any structured platoon.

If Iggy is the starting SS, we may see him get more days off than a normal healthy SS, as they may sit him ve very tough pitchers. If Aviles starts, we may see Punto play more than a normal back-up SS, but it won't be a platoon, per se. 

We will platoon C and RF, and should platoon LF, but we won't.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Sounds to me like the OP post author is acting like he is entitled to a team that is guaranteed to win the World Series before the season starts. I wonder if he expects his Patriots to win the Syper Bowl during training camp in July. Why not lower your expectations and come down to Earth and be a fan that enjoys every game and takes nothing for granted. Enjoy the JOURNEY and forget about the destination.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

You have proved to be an advocate of excuses and too ignorant to have reading comprehension. No athlete goes through a season "healthy". Historic September and April, and the "Top 6 being healthy" isn't going to cut it for a team construction design that requires consistent league elite offense. Only small minds look at aggregate numbers and say "it wasn't the offense it was the pitching". It was both, and the Red Sox have done nothing to improve the offensive consistency side, and the market for quality value pitching was, as usual, not there. This team required use of the trade market in more than a superficial way, and it will manifest as a non-championship contender. A very easy lineup to pitch around in the middle, and a bottom half of the lineup that will be one of the weaker AL lineups. The overall team defense will continue to be poor, and the fortune spent on prima donna starting pitchers to go with InEpsteins' lack of young pitcher talent depth will make the starting pitching staff continue to be embarrassing for one of the highest payrolls in MLB history.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can a team win a world series while platooning at shortstop and right field? : Actually Shoppach is hundreds of points better than Salty vs LHPs. He should start vs nearly all of them.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Good point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

I'm pretty sure the Mets did it in 1986 at second base and centerfield -- W.Backman/T.Teufel @ 2B and M.Wilson/L.Dykstra @ CF........... just sayin'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you platoon because you have to - in order to maximize production and/or insert better defense....obviously this is done from weakness - however we have enough great players already to carry even two platoon players everygame imho