Can Yankees Avenge 2004 ALCS 'Worst Loss In Baseball History' in 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Can Yankees Avenge 2004 ALCS 'Worst Loss In Baseball History' in 2012?

Who thinks the Yankees can repeat the Red Sox 0-3 rebound to win series 4-3 as they did in 2004 ALCS and avenge their 'worst choke in baseball history'?

The Tigers have got some decent pitchers still to finish things and I don't believe the Yankees can pull this off...but I wouldn't rule it out either!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Can Yankees Avenge 2004 ALCS 'Worst Loss In Baseball History' in 2012?

Not that I would ever rule out a Yankee comeback, but consider that Jeter is out, A-Rod is being benched, Rivera is out, Sabbathia can't pitch every game and Girardi does not know how to manage (..letting Ibanez bat against a lefty with the tying run on base....in the 9th inning of a do or die game...with A-Rod and Swisher riding the pine!!!!...this Girardi has lost his mind!). Joe Torre would have made the right moves.

Prediction: Yankees rally to win behind Sabbathia, they are toast in game 5.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No they cannot repeat what the Sox did. They are not as talented as the 2004 Sox team was.

FTR - biggest choke in Baseball history - Sept. 2011 - I won't mention the team ;-D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No they cannot repeat what the Sox did. They are not as talented as the 2004 Sox team was.

FTR - biggest choke in Baseball history - Sept. 2011 - I won't mention the team ;-D

[/QUOTE]I think the headline that you responded to ("worst loss in baseball history")  is without competition. Never done before and the high stakes of going to the world series on the line. Sorry but that stands alone as #1 forever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Would be avenging 2004 anyway - we are not playing Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

good point jess.  it would feel really good though.  trust me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's an easy one.............the Atlanta Braves.........*cough*  *cough*  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]I think the headline that you responded to ("worst loss in baseball history")  is without competition. Never done before and the high stakes of going to the world series on the line. Sorry but that stands alone as #1 forever.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but not even the NYY feel that way; not that I agree with it, but Torre claims Gm 7 of the 2001 WS was his worst moment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but not even the NYY feel that way; Torre claims Gm 7 of the 2001 WS was his worst moment

[/QUOTE]

"not even the NYY feel that way"

Sure they do. Must be tougher than I thought for them to admit.

The whole baseball world looks upon the 2004 ALCS as the pinnacle of comebacks/choke's.

If Wide Word of Sports was still on the air the show would have replaced "the agony of defeat"  ski racer  with highlites from that ALCS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Speaking of choke, the Texas Rangers were five games up on Oakland with nine to play and still lost the division.   LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but not even the NYY feel that way; Torre claims Gm 7 of the 2001 WS was his worst moment

[/QUOTE]

"not even the NYY feel that way"

Sure they do. Must be tougher than I thought for them to admit.

The whole baseball world looks upon the 2004 ALCS as the pinnacle of comebacks/choke's.

If Wide Word of Sports was still on the air the show would have replaced "the agony of defeat"  ski racer  with highlites from that ALCS.

[/QUOTE]

I googled the choke lists, and while it's up there, none had this as #1, FWIW. Here's an example:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/670865-power-ranking-the-top-50-worst-chokes-in-sports-history/page/45

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

OK people the intent of this post was to ask who thinks the Yankees can repeat what the Sox achieved in 2004, that being coming back from a 0-3 deficit.

It was assumed that everyone agreed that the 2004 ALCS was the worst choke in "baseball" history considering the impact of the loss and who the Yankees lost to...i.e. their hated rivals from Boston.

nhsteven raises a good point about the Phillies in the Bleacher Report, but that choke, even though ranked higher by Bleacher does not match the 2004 collapse.

jessy implies that the Red Sox 2011 September equates to 2004, but that isn't even close...those events just introduced the dysfunction of things in the Boston clubhouse but does not hold a candle to losing 4 straight in the spotlight of the ALCS.

Lastly, if we are discussing chokes, I sadly relate to a game early this season against the Yanks at Fenway, where the Sox held a 9-0 lead into the 7th innning, I was present to see the Yanks bomb 7 runs in the 7th and 8th innings and win the game 15-9...that was bad but not the same as the impact the Tigers blowing their 3-0 lead would have to the Detroit fanbase.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

With a rainout last nite, now Sabathia may not be able to pitch game 7

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not many fans see that as a problem.

I do because even though a game 7 is unlikely it could go that far.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The way the Yankees have been playing, there will not be a game 5.  

The only thing that can extend the Yankee's season is rain.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking of choke, the Texas Rangers were five games up on Oakland with nine to play and still lost the division.   LOL

[/QUOTE]

True

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know that.  But first i didnt want the game to be cancelled cuz Sabathia is on a short rest. Then people like these yankees fans were happy to see it was cancelled cuz that will give Sabathia another day rest.  But now game #5, #6 and #7 will not be moved which it is a bad news for Sabathia if he ever want to pitch again espeically for game #7.

Of course, we all know that there is no game #7!!  But never know!!  Any time a rainout occurred, there is alway something that could change moment from one side to another!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and Coke, who was not available last night, will be today

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know that.  But first i didnt want the game to be cancelled cuz Sabathia is on a short rest. Then people like these yankees fans were happy to see it was cancelled cuz that will give Sabathia another day rest.  But now game #5, #6 and #7 will not be moved which it is a bad news for Sabathia if he ever want to pitch again espeically for game #7.

Of course, we all know that there is no game #7!!  But never know!!  Any time a rainout occurred, there is alway something that could change moment from one side to another!

[/QUOTE]

This is like worrying about what to eat for breakfast in the year 2525

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In the Year 2525

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and Coke, who was not available last night, will be today

[/QUOTE]

That is a very Good Point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In the Year 2525

[/QUOTE]

Stating that yr was not a coincidence

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sweep.

[/QUOTE]

I hope someone tells CC.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who thinks the Yankees can repeat the Red Sox 0-3 rebound to win series 4-3 as they did in 2004 ALCS and avenge their 'worst choke in baseball history'?

The Tigers have got some decent pitchers still to finish things and I don't believe the Yankees can pull this off...but I wouldn't rule it out either!

[/QUOTE]
    Anything is possible.  Although, what the Red Sox accomplished has never been done before in MLB.  If the Yankees can win the next 2 games, I give them  a chance of winning this series. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Anything is possible.  Although, what the Red Sox accomplished has never been done before in MLB.  If the Yankees can win the next 2 games, I give them  a chance of winning this series. 

[/QUOTE]

I know what your saying Susan. imo they have a slim chance right now. It's a long shot but not out of the question. The difference between the 2004 Sox and this Yankee team is if it goes to a game 7 they will have to beat Verlander while the Sox in 2004 faced Kevin Brown. Oh yea, the Sox had David and Manny in the middle of their lineup and the Tigers have a pretty good 3/4 punch themselves.