Cano Didn't Want to Play For Girardi Anymore

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Cano Didn't Want to Play For Girardi Anymore

What...who said he owed anything to anybody? What makes you think it was a joke, when it was reported repeatedly, as fact? I believe I heard him interviewed, and said it. Also, said he wanted to go the West Coast. If I recall, he's from there. NYY made him an offer he couldn't refuse, years and money. The opt clause was Cashman's idea, to seal the deal, if he had any misgivings about playing in NY, and/ or the AL(E).Why not take advantage of it?  Point is, don't criticize Cano, for doing what he did, even if they didn't want to. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He said it, more than once, Zac. also said he wanted to go the West Coast. If I recall again, hes from there. NYY made him an offer he couldn't refuse, years and money

[/QUOTE]

3 thoughts

1) we probably never saw a direct quote from him on either statement

2) why RU calling him out for this

is it not wise and  socially excepted to say such things while negotiating

3) does RSN not allow  people to change their minds or just not yankees

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

He said it, more than once, Zac. also said he wanted to go the West Coast. If I recall again, hes from there. NYY made him an offer he couldn't refuse, years and money

3 thoughts

1) we probably never saw a direct quote from him on either statement

2) why RU calling him out for this

is it not wise and  socially excepted to say such things while negotiating

3) does RSN not allow  people to change their minds or just not yankees

Go back and see my edit. Yes, we did. He wanted to play in the NL, so he could bat and also, go to the west coast. I'm calling him out because he's calling Cano out, for chasing the money, when he did the same. Yes, people can and do change their minds, money does that, but best to remember what you did/said (Damon), before you do. I think it was wise. He knew the NYY/needed/wanted him. Was a ploy to pay him more money. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Point is, don't criticize Cano, for doing what he did, even if they didn't want to.

read this

and show me where he put down his good friend cano

When the news broke, CC Sabathia called to congratulate his friend. He had spent five seasons with Robinson Cano, and now the star second baseman was headed to Seattle. He joked Cano should “look out” when they square off next year, and wished him well.

“Just a player like that, putting on the pinstripes, and being able to play your whole career in New York means something – to me, obviously,” Sabathia said after an event showcasing his wife Amber’s CCandy clothing line at The Mall at Short Hills. “It didn’t mean that much to him. It’s a difficult choice being a free agent. And he made a tough choice. I know he’s happy with his decision, and his family’s happy. So that’s good.”

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Point is, don't criticize Cano, for doing what he did, even if they didn't want to.

read this

When the news broke, CC Sabathia called to congratulate his friend. He had spent five seasons with Robinson Cano, and now the star second baseman was headed to Seattle. He joked Cano should “look out” when they square off next year, and wished him well.

“Just a player like that, putting on the pinstripes, and being able to play your whole career in New York means something – to me, obviously,” Sabathia said after an event showcasing his wife Amber’s CCandy clothing line at The Mall at Short Hills. “It didn’t mean that much to him. It’s a difficult choice being a free agent. And he made a tough choice. I know he’s happy with his decision, and his family’s happy. So that’s good.”

Just a player like that, putting on the pinstripes, and being able to play your whole career in New York means something – to me, obviously,” Sabathia said

It means something to him, since the NYY ponied up the cash. He's patting himself on the back, while dissing Cano...it didn't mean that much to him...but did to me. CC realized it, then tried to spin it and back track, with what you highlighted.

Cano was homegrown, CC wasn't. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

so saying what he believes 2 B  the truth is a dish in RSN

heard plenty of people say the same thing

about cano never getting into yankee history and such

no dish there

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

no dish there

It may be what he believes, but it's still a diss. Cano did, what he did. Money talks. Not criticizing any of them for doing it, but don't act like you didn't do the same.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Cano is a punk but Cashman moved on from Cano when he signed Ellsbury instead.  I wonder what yankee fans really think about that trade off - Ellsbury for Cano........not my problem!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

read this

Just a player like that, putting on the pinstripes, and being able to play your whole career in New York means something – to me, obviously,” Sabathia said

It means something to him, since the NYY ponied up the cash. He's patting himself on the back, while dissing Cano...it didn't mean that much to him...but did to me. CC realized it, then tried to spin it and back track, with what you highlighted.

Cano was homegrown, CC wasn't. 

[/QUOTE]

This is true, and obvious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

no dish there

It may be what he believes, but it's still a diss. Cano did, what he did. Money talks. Not criticizing any of them for doing it, but don't act like you didn't do the same.

Sounds like he's putting Cano down to me too J-Bay. Talking about how Cano playing his whole career wearing the holy pinstripes means something to CC, but obviously not that much to Cano (why it's any of CC's business I don't quite understand). I guess he figures that he owes the yanks some PR work after his disappointing season for all the cash they paid him. Like earlier he was telling Cano not to leave. Kind of strange, he would have to say something like that. Who would want a player of Cano's caliber to leave?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I believe the story. Especially, because the Yankees were acting like they didn't have the Cano option anymore when they signed Ellsbury and were looking at a second baseman. They never would have done that until they settled the Cano situation if there was still a possibility. Cano was done talking to them, and it had to be something. Maybe it was Girardi.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

because the Yankees were acting like they didn't have the Cano option anymore when they signed Ellsbury and were looking at a second baseman.

[/QUOTE] Kim, even after the JElls signing, Robbie was still in play, his final offer was just still far apart from where the Yanks were, i think that is what likely preceeded Jay going to the M's and pursuing that 10 year...i partly agree with you about settling the situation, but it was already known that Cashman was working around the negotiations well before the M's entered the picture, feelin they needed to get started on the other pieces, at no time was Robbie ignored...i don't want to speak for anyone else, but i can't help but think that this would have been a lot easier for both sides if the original jump off point wasn't 10/310...bottom line it is what it is..Robbie chased the $$....can't be mad at that...i hope he continues to be great even if the M's aren't, but let's give him/them a chance...   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I'm glad that Yankee fans get to feel what fans of other teams have felt for a long time "What its like to lose one of your top players to another team" This is really a first for Yankee fans, the blow has been softened by the the signing of McCann / Ellsbury / Beltran. But for many years fans of other teams have seen the Yanks more than any other team swoop in and take away some of there best players. Now they know what its like to be a Brewer fan and watch CC walk away or Angels fan and watch Tex walk away or RS fan and watch Damon/Ells walk away! Many teams don't have that ability to go sign others to soften the blow. This is good for baseball to watch a team who is probably receiving Luxury Tax $ from the Yanks and use it to take it away a top player from Yanks. Good Job Bud Selig! Get over it Yankee fans as have other fans had to do, living here in CT and listening to Yankee fans on the WFAN is comical, they sound like a bunch of brides left at the alter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm glad that Yankee fans get to feel what fans of other teams have felt for a long time "What its like to lose one of your top players to another team" This is really a first for Yankee fans, the blow has been softened by the the signing of McCann / Ellsbury / Beltran. But for many years fans of other teams have seen the Yanks more than any other team swoop in and take away some of there best players. Now they know what its like to be a Brewer fan and watch CC walk away or Angels fan and watch Tex walk away or RS fan and watch Damon/Ells walk away! Many teams don't have that ability to go sign others to soften the blow. This is good for baseball to watch a team who is probably receiving Luxury Tax $ from the Yanks and use it to take it away a top player from Yanks. Good Job Bud Selig! Get over it Yankee fans as have other fans had to do, living here in CT and listening to Yankee fans on the WFAN is comical, they sound like a bunch of brides left at the alter.

[/QUOTE] morning gary, point taken, but in a way Tex was a bit different, prior to 09 Tex was twice traded, CC was traded during a walk year(Cle) but i do know what you mean...fanbases all over at some point are probably on edge when FA rolls around, it's not our (MLB fanbases) fault the team loses players...we can all agree about baseball being a business, but i've always hated to see teams lose long time, home grown players to anything other than retirement...we can't control it, so we have to deal...   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

morning gary, point taken, but in a way Tex was a bit different, prior to 09 Tex was twice traded, CC was traded during a walk year(Cle) but i do know what you mean...fanbases all over at some point are probably on edge when FA rolls around, it's not our (MLB fanbases) fault the team loses players...we can all agree about baseball being a business, but i've always hated to see teams lose long time, home grown players to anything other than retirement...we can't control it, so we have to deal...   

[/QUOTE]

Morning Jete, I miss the good old days before free agency, when players were bound to a team. Salaries were less ridiculous also. You would see pretty much the same players every year except for trades. Now it tough to know what jersey to buy (at least with the sox). I recently got a Victorino to replace my Youkilus. It will be good for two more years. My wife has a Pedoria so she should be good for a while, until he goes to the yankees. Surprised

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] morning gary, point taken, but in a way Tex was a bit different, prior to 09 Tex was twice traded, CC was traded during a walk year(Cle) but i do know what you mean...fanbases all over at some point are probably on edge when FA rolls around, it's not our (MLB fanbases) fault the team loses players...we can all agree about baseball being a business, but i've always hated to see teams lose long time, home grown players to anything other than retirement...we can't control it, so we have to deal...   

[/QUOTE]

Jete point taken. But this is the first time for Yank fans and quite amusing to listen to response on the WFAN. While many teams have signed big time FA's this is new for Yankee fans to actually lose one in the prime of their career. Good for them to feel what its like, imagine if they hadn't made their other FA signings what the noise would have been from Yankee fans?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I read somewhere that there is no income tax in the state of Washington.  Cano is a lucky man.  LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AS Hillary would say.........   "What difference does it make"  !!!    (Cano is not on our team, and for us he is in a better place)

[/QUOTE]

the better place for Cano to land in regards to our team would have been NY. i'd rather see them waste 240M than the Mariners....

[/QUOTE] yeah....now when driving around in the truck he'll have to replace Jay-Z and Kanye with Pearl Jam and Nirvana :-)

[/QUOTE]

And, who knows, maybe a pre-game grande cup of some of that famous seattle coffee will get him to run out groundballs and dive for a ball now and then.  Wink 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrgooch. Show mrgooch's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Been "over it" for a while now.  So glad the Yankees didnt budge and stuck to their guns.  The Yanks will be fine and will be as competitive as ever next season.  You never know what will happen in baseball...that is what makes it so great.  The Red Sox may be dominant next year or they may stink it up.  You never know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AS Hillary would say.........   "What difference does it make"  !!!    (Cano is not on our team, and for us he is in a better place)

[/QUOTE]

the better place for Cano to land in regards to our team would have been NY. i'd rather see them waste 240M than the Mariners....

[/QUOTE] yeah....now when driving around in the truck he'll have to replace Jay-Z and Kanye with Pearl Jam and Nirvana :-)

[/QUOTE]

And, who knows, maybe a pre-game grande cup of some of that famous seattle coffee will get him to run out groundballs and dive for a ball now and then.  Wink 

[/QUOTE] LOL Space, heck..three cups of that stuff and he can play the IF by himself Tongue Out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perhaps that was because Girardi took him to task for not hustling.

[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same -- G asked him to run down to first one time too many...