Cano to Sign? Looks official.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Cano to Sign? Looks official.....

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Great news, if its true. The link does not indicate that anything is final, but if it comes to pass then the Yankees, despite signing Ellsbury, are a weaker team now than at the beginning of the offseason. And the Mariners...with all due respect to Hill, this was an incredibly dumb move. Cano will be 41 at the end of the contract-and still getting $15M that year.

beyond dumb, especially in that park

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I may be the only one who thinks this...but I think it's a GREAT deal for not only the Mariners....but Seattle in general.  Seattle is a great city that has become very disinfranchised with their team.  The fanbase is EXCELLENT their....they just needed something to spark them a bit.  Heck...which NFL team do you NOT want to play at their home??  Seattle!  This deal has the possiblitly to reinvigerate a good fan base and warm the city back up to baseball.  Plus their ballpark is FANTASTIC. 

Yes...they overayed but they had ZERO choice.  If they want to spark the city again and their fanbase, they knew they had to overpay.  A deal like this will attract other players to Seattle as well.  Remember, it's a business too.....from a business standpoint it's a great deal.  From a baseball view it has potential to be a HUGE deal that starts a nice movement in a city that DESPERATELY wants a team to rout for.  They have 3 solid starters and the lineup just got a lot stronger.  Another decent few moves and they could EASILY challenge Texas and maybe Oakland.

KUDOS Seattle!  Great move!!

[/QUOTE]

Got a little piece of news for the Mariners: yeah, they got a good player, but they spent way too much money for way too many years. And Cano is going to have a much harder time hitting the ball out of Safeco Field than he did out of the pillbox that is Yankee Stadium's right field porch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrgooch. Show mrgooch's posts

As a Yankees fan im glad the Yanks stuck to their guns here and didnt budge.  Yanks were right for not getting stuck into a long term contract again.  Cano was a great player for the Yanks but he was asking for too many years.  Maybe we can get Soriano to play 2nd base again :D  If Arod does get suspended and with the money the Yanks saved by not signing Cano, they may be able to go after a quality pitcher and another bat (maybe Beltran?) 

All in all, im glad the Yanks stood strong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's about time Seattle started bringing in some talent.  This move makes sense for them, they are going out and getting the big name when it looks like they have some youth the add tools around. Their payroll is small, and this in no way handicaps them at all.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

I may be the only one who thinks this...but I think it's a GREAT deal for not only the Mariners....but Seattle in general.  Seattle is a great city that has become very disinfranchised with their team.  The fanbase is EXCELLENT their....they just needed something to spark them a bit.  Heck...which NFL team do you NOT want to play at their home??  Seattle!  This deal has the possiblitly to reinvigerate a good fan base and warm the city back up to baseball.  Plus their ballpark is FANTASTIC. 

Yes...they overayed but they had ZERO choice.  If they want to spark the city again and their fanbase, they knew they had to overpay.  A deal like this will attract other players to Seattle as well.  Remember, it's a business too.....from a business standpoint it's a great deal.  From a baseball view it has potential to be a HUGE deal that starts a nice movement in a city that DESPERATELY wants a team to rout for.  They have 3 solid starters and the lineup just got a lot stronger.  Another decent few moves and they could EASILY challenge Texas and maybe Oakland.

[/QUOTE]

I have felt for the fans out there for years getting pumped up and excited by ownership about a free agent signing or the like, only to get repeatedly dissapointed and let down.  I am also happy for them, but I am in shock at the same time.  I can't believe the Yankees got out Yankee'd... I have never seen this in my life.

To take a quote from Ghostbusters!

Human Sacrafice, Dogs and Cat's Living Together, Mass Hysteria!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mrgooch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As a Yankees fan im glad the Yanks stuck to their guns here and didnt budge.  Yanks were right for not getting stuck into a long term contract again.  Cano was a great player for the Yanks but he was asking for too many years.  Maybe we can get Soriano to play 2nd base again :D  If Arod does get suspended and with the money the Yanks saved by not signing Cano, they may be able to go after a quality pitcher and another bat (maybe Beltran?) 

All in all, im glad the Yanks stood strong.

[/QUOTE]

But they already signed a long term huge contract that is absurd with Ellsbury. Yeah, repeating the mistake with Cano would have just compounded that stupidity, but they already jumped off the cliff.........again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Got a little piece of news for the Mariners: yeah, they got a good player, but they spent way too much money for way too many years. And Cano is going to have a much harder time hitting the ball out of Safeco Field than he did out of the pillbox that is Yankee Stadium's right field porch.

[/QUOTE]

Yep...they overpayed...but they HAD NO CHOICE.  If they want to make a move that could fire up that city again for baseball....they had to, and they had the guts to do it.  As for him not hitting as many HR's in Safeco....of course he wont....however we're not talking about a player that relies strictly on HR's to produce.  He knows how to get on base more than just hitting a HR.  I look for his other numbers to possibly go up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

A variety of thoughts on the past few days...

What in the world is Cano thinking?  Did he not see what happened to Icirod?  One of he best players in the game got buried in ignomity because he was playing in Seattle.  He had to come to NY to have a chance at getting a ring before he retired, and now it looks like even THAT isn't going to work for him.  All the rings in the world aren't going to hide the fact that anyone who plays in Seattle doesn't get the exposure that teams in the East and Central divisions get.  IMO anyone who has the ego to demand the kind of money that Cano did is going to miss the adulation that comes from playing in the East. Again IMO he should have taken the Yankees money, played for a contender, and he still could have lived happily ever after. 

Moving on to the Yankees...

They've now effectively "traded" offense for offense.  They got Ellsbury and lost Cano.  It's a wash. Ellsbury is a bit better than what the Y's had in CF defensively but what they gained there they lost at 2B.  Maybe they'll find an AS 2B to play there, but how are they going to pay him... AND what they need for pitching? 

And on to the Sox...

Losing this leadoff hitter is going to hurt.  JBJ can replace him defensively but the offense will suffer for this loss. I'd gotten very accustomed to his speed on the bases and I'm going to miss that.

At his age I'm not sure AJ can put up the numbers Salty did and still catch.  It'll be interesting to see what happens at catcher with Vasquez being ML ready behind the plate and having had a good half-year at Pawtucket. If Vasquez has a good winter and ST there could be a major reshuffling at catcher in April. 

Regardless of the K's, Napoli was a huge contributor.  They need to re-sign him, not only for his offense but for his defense.

And at the risk of beating a dead horse, this team is going to miss Iggy starting in 2014.  IMO they don't have a viable defensive SS at this point.  I have faith in Bogarts offense but his defense has been less than stellar. So do they sign Drew and relegate Bogarts to.....?  or do they give Bogarts the job and tell him it's his until he proves he can't do it? 

...just my random ramblings....     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 7m

That Pedroia deal looks awfully good for the #RedSox right now. Damn.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 7m

Cano deal lot like Crawford's. Probably didn't want to go there but had no choice. Yankees didn't buckle for once.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

so the m's got a quality 2nd baseman and have "king felix" who else do they have that will up their status eh?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 16m

Maybe they'll give us Disney tickets at the winter meetings to kill the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Keep seeing this pop up in other places

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/reports-robinson-cano-agrees-to-deal-with-seattle-mariners-1.6554071

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/robinson-cano-seattle-mariners-jay-z-new-york-yankees-negotiations-120613?cmpid=msn%3Afoxsports%3Aansfox11

Somebody pinch me... I am so happy we don't have to face that bat 19+ games per year.  Even when ARod was signed to that huge deal, it was Cano that I always feared coming to the plate. 

Hal is not George, let's get that straight right now.  The boss would never EVER let this happen.  Maybe he wasn't just full of BS in saying that he wanted to get under the 189 million budget... Yankees and budget don't usually coincide... is this a dream.... Bueller, Bueller?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep...they overpayed...but they HAD NO CHOICE.  If they want to make a move that could fire up that city again for baseball....they had to, and they had the guts to do it.  As for him not hitting as many HR's in Safeco....of course he wont....however we're not talking about a player that relies strictly on HR's to produce.  He knows how to get on base more than just hitting a HR.  I look for his other numbers to possibly go up.

[/QUOTE]

Of course they had a choice. It is WINNING that energizes the fan base. Cano is not going to singlehandedly make the Mariners a winner. That takes organizational depth. The Mariners were 12th in runs scored and 10th in OPS in the AL last year. Who is going to protect Cano in the lineup? Morales? Ibanez? Give me a break. They had just THREE players with an OPS over .750 last year who played more than 45 games, led by the 41 year old Ibanez at .793. Teams are just going to pitch around Cano. Building a winning team takes more than signing a top FA. Yes they will be better, but they will still not contend in the west, and by not contending, the enthusiasm for watching Robinson Cano step up to the plate will fade pretty fast.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A variety of thoughts on the past few days...

What in the world is Cano thinking?  [/quote]. 

Is this rhetorical?  Money. He's already had the 'adulation'.  Hes got the ring.  His first four goals were Money, Money, Money, and Money.  Simple stuff really.

Incidently, Ellsbury shared the same mindset.

Not sure anyone will argue that, TODAY, both the Sox and Yakees are weaker teams on paper than just a couple months ago.

The BIG difference is the Sox are coming off a WS and the Yanks are starting from a far more modest place. 

If the Sox get weaker versions of Napoli and Drew, they still are in a pretty good position to contend for the playoffs.  The Yankees?  Very different story with their 'replacment' challenges.

Cano's situation (and most top free agents') was a lose-lose for the Yankees from the get-go.  I was torn on where I wanted him.  In Seattle, day-to-day he will hurt the Red Sox less.  However, if the Yanks had blown their load on him, he may have hurt the overall team even more (like Aroid).  Was always a win-win for the Sox.  Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Much rather face Els 18 times a yr instead of Cano.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course they had a choice. It is WINNING that energizes the fan base. Cano is not going to singlehandedly make the Mariners a winner. That takes organizational depth. The Mariners were 12th in runs scored and 10th in OPS in the AL last year. Who is going to protect Cano in the lineup? Morales? Ibanez? Give me a break. They had just THREE players with an OPS over .750 last year who played more than 45 games, led by the 41 year old Ibanez at .793. Teams are just going to pitch around Cano. Building a winning team takes more than signing a top FA. Yes they will be better, but they will still not contend in the west, and by not contending, the enthusiasm for watching Robinson Cano step up to the plate will fade pretty fast.

[/QUOTE]

ok.......but you're wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

kinda  funny

Stephen Meyer 3m
    The Yankees finally made a smart decision. They will follow this up, however, by making a string of horrible ones to group with Ellsbury.

Did Cano buy Ellsburys home in Seattle? Just wondering..... 

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Image: Robinson Cano and Jay-Z (© Johnny Nunez/WireImage)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] since his b-day was Wed., wonder what the chances are that Beyonce bought Hov a Seahawks jersey?? Tongue Out 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

since his b-day was Wed., wonder what the chances are that Beyonce bought Hov a Seahawks jersey?? Tongue Out 

[/QUOTE]

and a raincoatWink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

My off the wall prediction, Yanks sign Choo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My off the wall prediction, Yanks sign Choo.

[/QUOTE]

So they can have the most expensive non home run hitting outfield in the history of the game?

They already have Ells, Gardner, Wells, Ichiro, Soriano

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

BET CHOO NOW GOES TO NY AND GARDNER GETS TRADED.  IT WONT TAKE LONG FOR CASHMAN TO TRY AND SHOW JAYZ AND CANO THEY DON'T NEED HIM.

The Yankees finally made the right move, it should now allow them to go after pitching and replace Cano's bat with a guy like Choo.

So Mr. Henry are you still fine with an OF of Nava, Gomes, Carp, JBJ and Carp with Victorino?  Or, will you finally replace an every day player with a better every day player like Choo?  JBJ and Nava if anything should share time with Gomes getting even less playing time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Great news, if its true. The link does not indicate that anything is final, but if it comes to pass then the Yankees, despite signing Ellsbury, are a weaker team now than at the beginning of the offseason. And the Mariners...with all due respect to Hill, this was an incredibly dumb move. Cano will be 41 at the end of the contract-and still getting $15M that year.

To be precise, Robinson Cano will be 41 years old at the end of the contract only if his team is in the 2023 World Series.Wink

I'm averse to long-term contracts so it's not a deal I would make, but I can only sit back and hope for the best. And who knows what $15 million will be worth in 2022 dollars?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To be precise, Robinson Cano will be 41 years old at the end of the contract only if his team is in the 2023 World Series.Wink

I'm averse to long-term contracts so it's not a deal I would make, but I can only sit back and hope for the best. And who knows what $15 million will be worth in 2022 dollars?

[/QUOTE]

Wow, hill. Now, if you guys get Price...