Career OPS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Career OPS

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Considering the Tigrs movd Cabrera to 3B rather than DH to accomodate Martinez, chances are very good they intend to keep him...

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there's a good chance Napoli ends up here, and I guess if we are going to overpay one big bat, Napoli will be much cheaper than Hamilton, but I see Napoli playing more 1B than catcher, and when you compare his OPS vs MLb 1Bmen, he's not anywhere near dominating.

[/QUOTE]

Morneau career OPS: .842.  Napoli is much closer to AGON than he is to Morneau.  If not Napoli who are you going to put at 1B and get AGON-esque production?  Also, the .863 may rise when he comes to Fenway.  The fact that he serves as catching insurance adds value as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A big factor is that the best years we would get from Napoli would probably be the next 2. Those are not peak years for us in all probability. We should be investing in younger players if possible.

[/QUOTE]

Boom?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

VMart will not even be discussed by Ben & Detroit.

[/QUOTE]

Nope. To do that would mean admitting a mistake letting him walk. 

Can you imagine how 2011 and 2012 would have turned out having both Vmart and Beltre still on the team?

[/QUOTE]

Nope. Because we are looking to rebuild not to get older.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A big factor is that the best years we would get from Napoli would probably be the next 2. Those are not peak years for us in all probability. We should be investing in younger players if possible.

[/QUOTE]

Boom?

Yeah. I'm trying to keep the company out of it though. Solid option Drewski. Bill James has him projected for 29 HR this year. If he isn't priced too high he is certainly an option!

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

I think there's a good chance Napoli ends up here, and I guess if we are going to overpay one big bat, Napoli will be much cheaper than Hamilton, but I see Napoli playing more 1B than catcher, and when you compare his OPS vs MLb 1Bmen, he's not anywhere near dominating.

[/QUOTE]

What would be your choice, Moon?  Napoli or Hamilton?  Please don't say Napoli. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine how 2011 and 2012 would have turned out having both Vmart and Beltre still on the team?

[/QUOTE]

No. But I'm sure you can regale us with endless stories.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Career averages are probably best limited to about 3 years.  Is anything Mike Napoli did in 2007 relelvenat today?

[/QUOTE]

No.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I know that its early in the offseason , but Napoli is the perfect fit.  He draws a ton of walks and has 30 HR power.  He is a bona fide righty slugger.  He has a perfect swing for Fenway (we've had luck w players w Fenway swings: Lowell, Beltre, C.Ross).

He can start the year at 1B and give you near AGON production (see above).  If Lavarnaway struggles, we can slide Napoli to C and address 1B mid-season (Gomez, Sands...)

In interleague games, Ortiz at 1B, Napoli at C.  Regarding Napoli's D: he has seven years of experience calling games and managing pitching staffs.  He's not a great catcher, but he does have a lot of experience.

I've read and understand the "its early in the offseason posts."  However, Napoli makes a lot of sense for a lot of different reasons.  He is a one of a kind player in the MLB , never mind in this shallow FA pool.  Ben needs to show some boldness and grab this guy before its too late.  There isnt anyone else available w/ AGON -esque OPS, a Fenway swing, who can play Catcher, draws walks...

[/QUOTE]

Can he pitch? Lots of talk about obtaining good position players when our real need is to get high quality SP first, then high quality RP. Its out PITCHING that was the reason the team stunk last year. I am not hearing enough from our FO about where that help will come from.

[/QUOTE]

And if this was a pitching thread, that would make sense. But guess what? It's not.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we are looking to rebuild not to get older.

That leaves out Ellsbury and Wastefield and Varitek and Ortiz. You stooge.

[/QUOTE]

Wakefield and Varitek are no longer on the team. And Ortiz is the DH. How much longer are you going to complain about these players, or are you just one of the pack?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

we are looking to rebuild not to get older.

That leaves out Ellsbury and Wastefield and Varitek and Ortiz. You stooge.

[/QUOTE]

I've been advocating trading Ellsbury, clown.

I'm not calling for us signing Wake or VTek this year, clown.

Get over it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Boom?

Yeah. I'm trying to keep the company out of it though. Solid option Drewski. Bill James has him projected for 29 HR this year. If he isn't priced too high he is certainly an option!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good to see you.  i was worried that you were driven from the forum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mike Napoli - .863

Adrian Gonzalez - .877

Ivan Rodriguez - .798

Pedroia - .830

Mike Lowell - .805

Torii Hunter - .801

Salty - .720

[/QUOTE]

Im getting the feeling you really like Napoli, Drew ;)

[/QUOTE]

I think he's underrated and undervalued.  I also think he's a good fit.  He also plays two positions where we have holes.  We should act and I'm getting nervous.

[/QUOTE]

The more I look into his stats and some information in your posts, Im leaning in the same direction with you Drew. I think a 2-3 year deal would be Ok. 2/24 or 3/30 sound fair?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Napoli would be a really good pick-up.  For sure.  but 3/30?  No way.  A. 10-12 million salary is low.  B. There is almost no chance he accepts less than 4 years.  Someone is going to offer him long money.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He'll probably get over $48M/4.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

He'll probably get over $48M/4.

[/QUOTE]

I think he's worth this.  You would think that his offensive numbers would rise moving from C to 1B.  You would think that his offensive numbers would rise coming to Fenway.

I think that if he played at Fenway over the next four years, he woud have an OPS in the vacinity of .900.  He can DH in yrs 3 and 4.  He can even DH against tough lefties in 2014 (assuming Ortiz starts declining in the second yr of the 2 yr deal he just signed).

I'm not counting on Napoli to C, but the fact that he can is valuable insurance if Lava struggles and is useful during interleague play (and hopefully the world series).  The bat (which I would rate between AGON and Morneau, but closer to AGON) is for real.  Boom had a good pt earlier in this thread when he said that based on BABIP, Napoli was extremely unlucky last year.  (He still had an .810 OPS considering bad luck and a nagging hamstring injury, with the riggors of catching).

And if we sign Naps as opposed to trading for a 1B, we can use the prospects saved to push for a slugging corner outfielder (Stanton or JUPP)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Napoli's value and fit ends for the Red Sox at 2 years and 20M.

[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree.  I am okay w/ bean counting when it comes to speedsters.  It doesnt appear to be too hard to replace speedsters.  You can also find high OBP guys.  I'm okay w/ bean counting when it comes to top of the lineup guys.

I'm okay w/ bean counting when it comes to pitching.  Pitching is a crapshoot so I can see not wanting to spend big $$ on a pitcher.  A 90M FA pitcher is no more likely to suceed than an internal option.

But the point of all this beancounting is so you can allocate the funds saved to other places.   Its not for Cherrys ego and its not for Henrys P&L.  IMO, the one place where you shouldnt bean count is for middle of the lineup sluggers.  When you have a chance to add a real slugger, you should.  This is why I was okay with the AGON contract.  Okay w the contract Det gave to VMART and okay w the contract DET gave to Fielder.  A bat like Napoli's is very difficult to acquire.  Because of the low supply, I'm okay w ponying up for him.  Where else are you going to spend the money?

Also: he's only 31.  If he was 33 , I'd agree w you.  I'd offer 3 yrs / 36.  But if it was either 4 yrs / 48 or not get him, Id go 4 yrs / 48.  (Of course not until the 3 yr/36 M offer is bested, Im not advocating that we bid ourselves up).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Ben and the A's won't even be discussing Anderson.

VMart will be in his mid thiries and is coming off  missed year on a 2 year contract that costs about 26 million, They just signed old man Hunter. They arleady have Fielder and Miggy and their catchers are settled.

Is it possible that they would trade VMart to the Red Sox for prospects not named Bradley, Bogearts, Barnes, De La Roasa, Webster, Bretnz and Swihart? You betcha!

Is it probable, not, which is why have all the feasible options listed.

The Tigers were supposed to do it this year. That didn't happen. Their OF and team defense and pitching depth isn't anything to write home about. They have Miggy, Fielder and Verlander and a couple of decent starters, which means they are contenders. However, the Tigers being a 2013 bust would not suprise me. They've been there and done that.

[/QUOTE]

Right, so clearly their plan should be to unload good players for scraps.  That will dig the out of the doldrums!!

Looking at their roster, neither Martinez nor Hunter are going to drag that team down financially.   And, you repeatedly keep ignoring the incredibly obvious point that Cabrera moved to 3B to accomodate Martienz at 1B.  They did not move Cabrera over to 3B until AFTER Martinez was injured.  This plan was in the works and his injury did nothing to derail it.  In fact, VMart's injury CAUSED it, as it lead to signing Fielder.

I think Detroit SHOULD move Martinez, move Cabrera to 1B, Peralta to 3B and get a #$%#$ shortstop for once.  But they are not going to.  And I also would bet they are not nearly as disappointed with being World Series also-rans as you seem to think they should be.

Love to have VMart at 1B.  Not going to happen.

And, per your rules, this can no longer be discussed without explicit details that go well beyond "farm scraps."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Napoli's value and fit ends for the Red Sox at 2 years and 20M.

[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree.  I am okay w/ bean counting when it comes to speedsters.  It doesnt appear to be too hard to replace speedsters.  You can also find high OBP guys.  I'm okay w/ bean counting when it comes to top of the lineup guys.

I'm okay w/ bean counting when it comes to pitching.  Pitching is a crapshoot so I can see not wanting to spend big $$ on a pitcher.  A 90M FA pitcher is no more likely to suceed than an internal option.

But the point of all this beancounting is so you can allocate the funds saved to other places.   Its not for Cherrys ego and its not for Henrys P&L.  IMO, the one place where you shouldnt bean count is for middle of the lineup sluggers.  When you have a chance to add a real slugger, you should.  This is why I was okay with the AGON contract.  Okay w the contract Det gave to VMART and okay w the contract DET gave to Fielder.  A bat like Napoli's is very difficult to acquire.  Because of the low supply, I'm okay w ponying up for him.  Where else are you going to spend the money?

Also: he's only 31.  If he was 33 , I'd agree w you.  I'd offer 3 yrs / 36.  But if it was either 4 yrs / 48 or not get him, Id go 4 yrs / 48.  (Of course not until the 3 yr/36 M offer is bested, Im not advocating that we bid ourselves up).

[/QUOTE]

In Softlaw's case, this is too thoughtful.  You should always disagree and add a few expletives that work around the censor function.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how many more wins do you think the RS would've had with VMart last year?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should have kept Beltre- not VMart.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

They should have kept Beltre- not VMart.

[/QUOTE]

Just having a little fun at Ike's expense.  I like VMart well enough, but the .850 at DH doesn't quite knock my socks off for $13M.

But to suggest we'd have been better off with VMart last year, when he spent the entire season on the DL, well sorry, but I had to make fun of that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I know that its early in the offseason , but Napoli is the perfect fit.  He draws a ton of walks and has 30 HR power.  He is a bona fide righty slugger.  He has a perfect swing for Fenway (we've had luck w players w Fenway swings: Lowell, Beltre, C.Ross).

He can start the year at 1B and give you near AGON production (see above).  If Lavarnaway struggles, we can slide Napoli to C and address 1B mid-season (Gomez, Sands...)

In interleague games, Ortiz at 1B, Napoli at C.  Regarding Napoli's D: he has seven years of experience calling games and managing pitching staffs.  He's not a great catcher, but he does have a lot of experience.

I've read and understand the "its early in the offseason posts."  However, Napoli makes a lot of sense for a lot of different reasons.  He is a one of a kind player in the MLB , never mind in this shallow FA pool.  Ben needs to show some boldness and grab this guy before its too late.  There isnt anyone else available w/ AGON -esque OPS, a Fenway swing, who can play Catcher, draws walks...

[/QUOTE]

Can he pitch? Lots of talk about obtaining good position players when our real need is to get high quality SP first, then high quality RP. Its out PITCHING that was the reason the team stunk last year. I am not hearing enough from our FO about where that help will come from.

[/QUOTE]

Right now, our pitching is in better shape than our offense, maybe in much better shape.  Right now, we need one SP, a LF, a RF, and a 1B.  Some of it was the injuries, but we averaged less than 3 RPG after the trade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They probably miss the playoffs in 2012, maybe in 2011. Middlebrooks suffers in AAA.