Career OPS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Career OPS

We are not sure any other team will offer Naps 4 years, so we may be able to get him for 3.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We are not sure any other team will offer Naps 4 years, so we may be able to get him for 3.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but if its overpay him in yr 4 or dont get him, I think we should pull the trigger.  Morales is a sleeper too, but so is Napoli.  He's regarded as an avg firstbaseman offensively, and he isnt.  His OPS is already better than Morneau's/Tex and thats w/ the wear and tear of catching.  This number should (at least) stay steady now that he's not catching and is playing in a park where his career OPS > 1.000.

I disagree w/ you that he is a near average first baseman.  I would rank him a touch behind AGON.  Morales may be a sleeper too, but I think the Angels know what they have (they were offered some decent packages for him last year, and withdrew him from the trade block, electing ot keep him).  I think the Angels are going to make an all out push for the World Series next year.  I think that Trumbo gets moved to OF.  

I like our young pitching.  I hate big contracts to speedsters. This is a great place to spend the money.  It also allows us to use the prospects saved to trade for a better corner outfielder.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The average OPS for first basemen in 2012 was .778.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The average OPS for first basemen in 2012 was .778.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the 15th best starting 1Bman in MLB last year (by OPS) was AGon at .806.

(450+ PAs gives us 30 1Bmen.)

Out of the top  33 1Bmen with 1350+ PAs since 2009, the average 1Bman's OPS (#16 & 17) was .835/.822 (Morneau & Helton).

The above average 1Bmen by OPS were:

1) Miggy  1.003 (3B now)

2) Votto   .994

3) Pujols  .969  (In decline)

4) Fielder .952 (May be a DH soon)

5) AGon    .906

6) Konerko .896 (Keep waiting for this guy to decline as he ages)

7) Berkman .885 (Clearly not above average anymore)

8) Youkilis   .877 (In decline)

9) Napoli     .867  (Catcher/DH as well)

10) Teixeira .863 (Has declined for 4 straight years)

11) M Morse  .857 (One year of team control)

12) K Morales .857 (One year of team control)

13) Howard    .856

14) B Butler   .854  (More of a DH type)

15) D Lee        .844  (Not a better than avg 1Bman anymore)

Going by OPS only, it appears that Napoli, Morse, and Morales are pretty close.

Getting Napoli would not cost prospects, as Drewski poiints out, and he can slide to catcher at NL parks to allow Papi to play 1B, and also provides for a 3rd catcher that will allow us to PH for our catcher late in games.

Getting Morse or Morales and extending him might have more potential upside in terms of offense, and Morse can play LF, but both will cost us nice prospects.

We could also trade for Butler or Morneau or sign Youk as a bridge to whatever comes along next year, but if we go with softy's idea of a Loney/Gomez platoon, we might as well just pack it in for 2013, and shoot straight for 2014 and beyond by trading any player that will be a FA after 2013 and going with a youth build-up movement in preperation for some trades next winter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Moon's list: lets remove, Miggy because he is a 3B.

Votto   .994

Pujols  .969  (In decline)

Fielder .952 (May be a DH soon)

AGon    .906

Konerko .896 (Keep waiting for this guy to decline as he ages)

Berkman .885 (Clearly not above average anymore)

Youkilis   .877 (In decline)

Napoli     .867  (Catcher/DH as well)

Teixeira .863 (Has declined for 4 straight years)

M Morse  .857 (One year of team control)

K Morales .857 (One year of team control)

Howard    .856

B Butler   .854  (More of a DH type)

D Lee        .844  (Not a better than avg 1Bman anymore)

Moon, take a look at this list.  Due to age/decline of Tex, Berkman , and Youk, I am adjusting their numbers down.

Here' what I see: Top tier offensive 1B:  Votto, Fielder, Pujols

Second Tier: Agon, Napoli , Morse, Butler

Third tier: Morales, Konerko, Tex

Fourth tier: Berkman, Morneau (prob a few others).

The free agent market value of a top tier 1B: 22M/yr .  Considering this, are you really shy to give Naps a four year deal at 12M per.  Considering that a) none of the first tier guys are available, and if by chance one does become available , he's signed to a 20M+ / yr contract.  Even some tier 2 guys are at 20M+.

Napoli at 12M is a steal.  If you have to overpay him in year 4, to get him for 3 yrs at 12, its worth it.  If you traede for Morse, he is not going to resign.  He's going to play his final year under contract, use Fenway to pad his stats, and sign a 4-5 yr deal that is going to make whatever Napoli signs for look like a bargain (because it is).

Also: Naps is a good clubhouse guy, is only 31 ( young for a FA), can play C if needed, has a Fenway swing, draws walks.  You can expect the .863 to improve moving to Fenway and not having to deal w the fatigue of Catching.

If you are unwiling to go the fourth year for Naps, then you just arent willing to bring in impact free agents.   I agree to try to get him for three, but if its give him four or lose him....pull the trigger.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

We should move on Naps before teams who are in the bidding for Swish/Hamilton get involved.  The price is only going to increase as players come off the market.

He should be signed this week to a four year deal 3 yrs / 36 , w/ a mutual option for the fourth (12 M team option / 8 M player option).

4/44 guaranteed, only makes 8 in yr 4, where he can DH against lefties, provide pop off the bench and back up 3 positions.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mike Napoli - .863

Adrian Gonzalez - .877

Ivan Rodriguez - .798

Pedroia - .830

Mike Lowell - .805

Torii Hunter - .801

Salty - .720

[/QUOTE]

Im getting the feeling you really like Napoli, Drew ;)

[/QUOTE]

I think he's underrated and undervalued.  I also think he's a good fit.  He also plays two positions where we have holes.  We should act and I'm getting nervous.

[/QUOTE]

A simple answer is yes this would be the theory," killing two birds with one stone".

If the Sox sign him 4 year deal; after Papi's contract has expire Napoli can fill in the DH role.

(A) Napoli can play 1st for his first 2 yrs.,  Sox can trade for Hosmer to play back up for Napoli, and be ready to be the starting 1B, when Napoli switches over to DH

(B) Napoli will be a 2 year experience Red Sox and will be dominating his power hitting in  Fenway Park

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Also consider this:  This year we saw the market rate for a platoon player w/ shoddy defense set to 5M / yr.

Its very possible that by 2016 (the fourth year in the Naps deal), the market rate for a platoon player is 10M.  Baseball salaries tend to go up, not down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew, if the prices will only go up as players are signed, why wouldn't Naps agent recommend waiting it out?

Yes, prices are going up. Just look at Hunter's deal. That still doesn't mean signing high-priced FAs is the only or best way to rebuild this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Drew, if the prices will only go up as players are signed, why wouldn't Naps agent recommend waiting it out?

Yes, prices are going up. Just look at Hunter's deal. That still doesn't mean signing high-priced FAs is the only or best way to rebuild this team.

[/QUOTE]

I dont mean to imply that you should aggressively pursue free agents before doing your homework.  However, if you've weighed your alternatives (looked into trade options, considered internal candidates, looked at other FA available), and decide that a particular free agent is the guy you want, you should be aggressive w/ that free agent.

Otherwise you could be left wondering what went wrong when Naps signs w/ Sea, VMART and Morales arent available, the asking price is too high for Morse, and you wind up w/ Salty at 1B.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont mean to imply that you should aggressively pursue free agents before doing your homework.  However, if you've weighed your alternatives (looked into trade options, considered internal candidates, looked at other FA available), and decide that a particular free agent is the guy you want, you should be aggressive w/ that free agent.

Otherwise you could be left wondering what went wrong when Naps signs w/ Sea, VMART and Morales arent available, the asking price is too high for Morse, and you wind up w/ Salty at 1B.

[/QUOTE]

I get your point, but it is not as simple as just making a 4 year offer right now. Nap's agent might want to wait for that "price to go up" as teams get desperate when options dwindle.

It's a tough call for an agent. Sometimes a player is left out in the cold (see Abreu a few years back).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Moon, look at your own list of 1B.  Considering age, its easy to expect Konerko, Berkman and Youk to decline.  This puts Napoli at five behind Pujols, Fielder, Votto, AGON.  These guys all make 20M+/yr.  Naps @12M/yr is a bargain if he maintains his career OPS.  I dont see why he wouldnt maintain his OPS getting away from the fatigue of Catching and moving to a park that he absoultely rakes in.  He's also never had any lineup protection (unlike the guys in front of him).  

Michael Morse has 1 yr left on his deal and has a laundry list of injury issues.  He plays for a contender, so its not like they are overly anxious to move him.  The Angels moved Trumbo to OF to keep Morales in their lineup.  I havent heard one Morales trade rumor.  I dont think he's available.  Vmart is 34.  Napoli will be 34 at the end of a 4 yr deal.  Napoli can slide behind the plate in interleague games.  He can DH against lefties in yrs 3 and 4.  He provides much needed offensive pop.

I like Softy's idea of offering farm scraps for VMART, but the Tigers love the guy.  I like your idea of trading for Morse , but I dont think he'd extend and I think the asking price is too high for one year of Morse considering his injury history.  I like the thought of trading of Butler, but it appears that the Royals want to win now and he is their #3 hitter.

If Morales and Butler arent available, we should act on Naps.

3 yrs / 33M + a fourth year w/ a mutual  option (8M player option/12M team option).  The only 1B who are better are 20M/yr guys who arent going to become available.  Except for maybe Morse, but trust me, Morse will get a contract that will make whatever Napoli signs for look like a bargain.  I honestly cant believe that people are shy to give Naps 11-12M/yr when the only better firstbaseman are 20+M/yr guys.  Naps is the perfect fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, look at your own list of 1B.  Considering age, its easy to expect Konerko, Berkman and Youk to decline.  This puts Napoli at five behind Pujols, Fielder, Votto, AGON.  These guys all make 20M+/yr.  Naps @12M/yr is a bargain if he maintains his career OPS.  I dont see why he wouldnt maintain his OPS getting away from the fatigue of Catching and moving to a park that he absoultely rakes in.  He's also never had any lineup protection (unlike the guys in front of him).  

Wow, I just posted almost this exact statement on the Naps thread!

Michael Morse has 1 yr left on his deal and has a laundry list of injury issues.  He plays for a contender, so its not like they are overly anxious to move him.  The Angels moved Trumbo to OF to keep Morales in their lineup.  I havent heard one Morales trade rumor.  I dont think he's available.  Vmart is 34.  Napoli will be 34 at the end of a 4 yr deal.  Napoli can slide behind the plate in interleague games.  He can DH against lefties in yrs 3 and 4.  He provides much needed offensive pop.

I think my Morse idea is a reach, especially the extension part.

I like Softy's idea of offering farm scraps for VMART, but the Tigers love the guy.  I like your idea of trading for Morse , but I dont think he'd extend and I think the asking price is too high for one year of Morse considering his injury history.  I like the thought of trading of Butler, but it appears that the Royals want to win now and he is their #3 hitter.

VMart is not our longterm answer.

I tend to agree, unless we just pack in 2013 and shoot for the moon in 2014.

3 yrs / 33M + a fourth year w/ a mutual  option (8M player option/12M team option).  The only 1B who are better are 20M/yr guys who arent going to become available.  Except for maybe Morse, but trust me, Morse will get a contract that will make whatever Napoli signs for look like a bargain.  I honestly cant believe that people are shy to give Naps 11-12M/yr when the only better firstbaseman are 20+M/yr guys.  Naps is the perfect fit.

I do not think $33M/3 + an option will get Naps. I look at the Hunter deal and think Naps will get $44+M/4 or $36M+/3 somewhere... maybe even Boston.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I get your point, but it is not as simple as just making a 4 year offer right now. Nap's agent might want to wait for that "price to go up" as teams get desperate when options dwindle.

It's a tough call for an agent. Sometimes a player is left out in the cold (see Abreu a few years back).

[/QUOTE]

Good point.  You also dont want to give Naps an offer that he can then use to bid himself up.  I just (obviously) think that Naps is the guy.  Take the prospects that you would have sent for Morales , throw in a couple more, and blow the Marlins away w/ an offer for Mike Stanton.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Or maybe even see if you can work out a deal for Price (if you're willing to trade w/ the Rays).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Michael Morse has 1 yr left on his deal and has a laundry list of injury issues.  He plays for a contender, so its not like they are overly anxious to move him.  The Angels moved Trumbo to OF to keep Morales in their lineup.  I havent heard one Morales trade rumor.  I dont think he's available.  Vmart is 34.  Napoli will be 34 at the end of a 4 yr deal.  Napoli can slide behind the plate in interleague games.  He can DH against lefties in yrs 3 and 4.  He provides much needed offensive pop.

I do not think $33M/3 + an option will get Naps. I look at the Hunter deal and think Naps will get $44+M/4 or $36M+/3 somewhere... maybe even Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I give Naps either 44/4 or 36/3 before I lose him.  31 is relatively young for a free agent.  He's a bargain at 11-12 yr over the next 3 yrs.  Hes the perfect fit considering his positive clubhouse presence, his ability to catch, his righty pull swing, his ability to draw walks.  If we have give him a 4 yr deal where he will be overpaid in year 4, we have the resources to deal with that then.

Also, Naps will be 31 in 2014.  So , even if the plan is to shoot for the Moon in 2014, Naps still makes sense. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I give Naps either 44/4 or 36/3 before I lose him.  31 is relatively young for a free agent.  He's a bargain at 11-12 yr over the next 3 yrs.  Hes the perfect fit considering his positive clubhouse presence, his ability to catch, his righty pull swing, his ability to draw walks.  If we have give him a 4 yr deal where he will be overpaid in year 4, we have the resources to deal with that then.

Also, Naps will be 31 in 2014.  So , even if the plan is to shoot for the Moon in 2014, Naps still makes sense. 

[/QUOTE]

2 points:

1) Naps has never had more than 510 PAs in a season and has only been over 432 once.

2) His OPS trend is not exactly promising:

.815  .794                      .784                 .812

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Career averages are probably best limited to about 3 years.  Is anything Mike Napoli did in 2007 relelvenat today?

[/QUOTE]

NO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Is what he did in 2012 & 2010  important?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think Napoli is a great fit for the Sox...chuck out his presumed injury-tainted 2012 and his presumed career year 2011 and he still has decent career batting numbers even for a 1B, and it's reasonable to assume a less demanding position at 1B then DH will enhance his performance.

I enjoy reading concerns about how Napoli's heavy workload at catcher over the years should be red flagged:

• Career MLB games at catcher to date, Mike Napoli:  539 (only once over 75, and that was only 96)
    • Career MLB games at catcher to date, Jarrod Saltalamacchia:  376 (thrice over 75, twice over 100)

But I shouldn't be such a stat geek...it seems like Napoli should be burned out from so many innings catching, so it must be true.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's some geek stats:

Napoli in 2010 & 2012 combined:

PA   927

AB   805

Hits 188

BB     98

HBP   18

2B      33

3B         3

HR      50

Prorate to 600 PAs (which he has never had):

BA: .235  

OBP: .326

SLG: .468 (if my math is correct)

OPS: .794

HR 37  

(27 2B+3B)

If you go by 400 ABs (his avg those 2 yrs):

.237  25  62

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

Or maybe even see if you can work out a deal for Price (if you're willing to trade w/ the Rays).

[/QUOTE]

In all seriousness, Rays GM Andrew Friedman is the type of guy who would rather trade David Price to the Padres for a backup catcher than trade him within the division for 5 top prospects.  He literally wouldn't do it. 

More and more organizations now feel the same way.  It has a lot to do with the unbalanced schedule where you now play teams in your own division more often and the fact that many teams feel it's all about just getting to the post season, where anything can happen. Teams aren't going to make trades that may improve a team that they have to play 19 times a year. 

It takes a little luck to win it all with the new playoff format and if a team gets hot at the right time, who knows?  Look at Detroit this year.  They send out arguably the best pitcher on the planet in game one and he gets shelled against a line-up that won't be confused with the '27 Yankees anytime soon, which set the tone for the whole Series.

Price will likely be moved in the next few years, but unless Andrew Friedman moves on, he won't be moved to the Sox, or anyone else within the division.  It just doesn't happen anymore...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why? His OPS is so amazing surely 4 years is a steal

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is that if it takes 4 years to get naps, we will do it. 

While I might be against anything over $41M/4, I won't bash Ben for going $44M/4. I think that might not even be enough after watching Hunter get $26M/2.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Go Napoli! He is awesone!