Carlos Beltran and Sox having "serious dialogue".

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Carlos Beltran and Sox having "serious dialogue".

From hardball talk....

The market for free agent outfielder Carlos Beltranseems to be picking up quite a bit of recent steam.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported this afternoon that the Orioles, Yankees and Red Sox have expressed serious interest in signing Beltran and now Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweetsthat the Red Sox front office has already engaged in “serious dialogue” with the 36-year-old and his agent.

Beltran received a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals this month and declined it, so signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick. But what he is capable of providing offensively can outweigh that hitch.

Beltran batted .282/.343/.493 with 56 home runs, 56 doubles, 162 runs scored and 181 RBI in his two seasons with St. Louis and he’s a .333/.445/.683 career hitter in 51 total postseason games.

The Red Sox could use him as a regular left fielder and part-time designated hitter in 2014

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Carlos Beltran and Sox having

I hope the sox are just looking to drive up the price for AL east rivals new york and baltimore... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Me too. I dont want to commit 3 years to him. He would only play LF in Fenway. I would like if he could play 1b so papi both him and Papi can play in NL parks. Thats why I like Corey Hart better.

Not sure hes a great fit. IVC should NOT move from RF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Boston, but  the number of years they'd have to commit to is the sticking point.  Two would be optimal, but it ain't gonna happen given the competition.  Three might be the most they'd commit to get the deal done.   

I realize he's not the best fit in the field, but he would certainly boster the middle of the lineup.  The outfiled could adjust with various combinations.  He could play left in Fenway, and maybe right sometimes on the road.  Nava would play right sometimes with JBJ and Vic alternating between right and center.  Corey Hart could be in the mix too.  With Nava able to play a some first, this wouldn't leave much for Gomes and Carp though.  Something would have to give.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Beltran makes much more sense for the Yankees and even the Orioles more than for the Red Sox if only because of the configuration of each team's home ballparks.

In Boston he will have to play left field and will have to hit homeruns to right field whenever he bats lefty which is about 75% of the time.  In both NY and Baltimore he can play right field (at least for the first part of a contract) and hit home runs to much friendlier rightfield fences.

He also fits much better as a DH in both of the other lineups because neither team has a David Ortiz already entrenched as their DH.

Even if he was a legit first baseman already, I would still rather have Napoli and maybe even Hart (both much younger) if Hart is healthy.

So, let the Orioles and Yankees bid each other up for this guy in both money and years, and only take him if he will accept two years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Just say no, or just bid him up a little.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Beltran or Hart I go with both, if Beltran signs first he's the lucky winner if Hart signs first he's the lucky winner. I would prefer Youk though i don't think they will bring him back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe12h

AL East teams often engage free agents in an attempt to raise the price on rivals. Maybe that's it 

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe12h

Given value they place on draft picks, #RedSox interest in Beltran is puzzling, even if they get picks for their free agents

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I believe the only way the Sox sign Beltran is if he doesn't get a 3 or more year deal from someone else..signing him to 3+ years would fit the MO of the Yankees...since they seem to love bringing in vets at the twilight of their careers. Watch the O's on him also.

I also don't see it happening because I would think the Cards would look to re-sign him if he settled on only a 2 year deal...they did offer him arbitration afterall.

Corey Hart, if deemed healthy, might be a nice target for the Sox to play OF/1B with a nice  Fenway swing. He has lots of power from the right side but I'm not sure about his plate discipline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I would prefer to see Loney, AJ and try to pick up someone like Jamie Carroll, Erik Aybar for SS or a blockbuster with the Rockies to get Tulo and/ or perhaps Cuddyer.

I know a little heresey here: I would look to trade J. Gomes. He helped with the WS win--perhaps it would be good timing to send him off to try to help someone else.

Either that or give him a 1 B glove and have Gomes platoon with Carp. We are looking at a logjam in the OF and 1 B--and I , for one, would prefer to see Nava's bat in the lineup every day--primarily in LF.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would prefer to see Loney, AJ and try to pick up someone like Jamie Carroll, Erik Aybar for SS or a blockbuster with the Rockies to get Tulo and perhaps Cuddyer.

[/QUOTE]

Still on the Tulo kick huh?

So, what would you give up for a player that has averaged 120 games over the last 7 years due to a number of injuries, is owed 130M over the next 7 years and will be 36 by the end of that deal?

Oh, and he will be then blocking your #1 prospect, then causing an issue at 3b.

The Sox will have Bogey and WMB on the left side of the IF next year. If they are going to throw away 20M per, Ells has a better chance of being resigned than Tulo. But just for kicks and grins, what would you give up for Tulo?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Please Ben, no to Beltran!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Me too. I dont want to commit 3 years to him. He would only play LF in Fenway. I would like if he could play 1b so papi both him and Papi can play in NL parks. Thats why I like Corey Hart better.

[/QUOTE]

Huh?

In Nl parks, you play Papi at first and Beltran in left.  Both play.

The odd man out is Nava.  Or Carp...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

At this juncture it is not sound to take any of these rumors as a true notice of intention.  Good GMs should be working the hot stove on multiple levels.  Getting their target guys.  Bluffing to take focus away from their target guys.  Bluffing as a bargaining tool (Ellsbury?).  Bluffing to drive price up on competitors who need bluff-target.  making overtures to line-up fallbacks.  And, concealing any intention of true targets (Cashman always good at this).

I would call Sox dialogue with Beltran intriguing.  But, I have my doubts that they are serious.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From hardball talk....

The market for free agent outfielder Carlos Beltranseems to be picking up quite a bit of recent steam.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported this afternoon that the Orioles, Yankees and Red Sox have expressed serious interest in signing Beltran and now Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweetsthat the Red Sox front office has already engaged in “serious dialogue” with the 36-year-old and his agent.

Beltran received a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals this month and declined it, so signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick. But what he is capable of providing offensively can outweigh that hitch.

Beltran batted .282/.343/.493 with 56 home runs, 56 doubles, 162 runs scored and 181 RBI in his two seasons with St. Louis and he’s a .333/.445/.683 career hitter in 51 total postseason games.

The Red Sox could use him as a regular left fielder and part-time designated hitter in 2014

[/QUOTE]

I guess Beltran is just waiting for his physical..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Huh?

In Nl parks, you play Papi at first and Beltran in left.  Both play.

The odd man out is Nava.  Or Carp...

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, It was worded wrong. Id rather a 1b/OF type like Hart. Im not feeling to warm and fuzzy with a 37yo with 2 bad knees running around in the OF for another 3 years. Plus, he came out of the WS rather quickly after hitting the wall. There ended up nothing wrong with him. Not much toughness there like Vic, who at least will try and play through it. Also, Papi could be here another year or 2 after 2014. Theres no signs of slowing down yet. Beltran isnt guarenteed to be able to DH here.

I like his bat, but wish he could play 1b.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I would prefer to see Loney, AJ and try to pick up someone like Jamie Carroll, Erik Aybar for SS or a blockbuster with the Rockies to get Tulo and perhaps Cuddyer.

[/QUOTE]

So, what would you give up for a player that has averaged 120 games over the last 7 years due to a number of injuries, is owed 130M over the next 7 years and will be 36 by the end of that deal?

The Sox will have Bogey and WMB on the left side of the IF next year. If they are going to throw away 20M per, Ells has a better chance of being resigned than Tulo. But just for kicks and grins, what would you give up for Tulo?

[/QUOTE]

Southy--sometimes it's difficult to give up on players that have produced when they are on the field.

It appears if he were to play 162 games he would produce better numbers than Nap so I would say yes I do feel he's worth in the ballpark of $20 M a year. He's a pretty good player. Granted he is 29 and he will be 36-37 when his contract is up. I could see him sliding over to one of the corners if Xander is ready for SS in 2 or 3 years.

If we are paying the full contract, which we probably would,  I would include Lackey, Morales and WMB. If the Rockies were willing to include Cuddyer I would include Nava or Gomes and a Prospect.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Southy--sometimes it's difficult to give up on players that have produced when they are on the field.

It appears if he were to play 162 games he would produce better numbers than Nap so I would say yes I do feel he's worth in the ballpark of $20 M a year. He's a pretty good player. Granted he is 29 and he will be 36-37 when his contract is up. I could see him sliding over to one of the corners if Xander is ready for SS in 2 or 3 years.

If we are paying the full contract, which we probably would,  I would include Lackey, Morales and WMB. If the Rockies were willing to include Cuddyer I would include Nava or Gomes and a Prospect.

[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem...Xander proved he deserves a chance to take over the SS position in 2014. No reason to wait 2-3 years. the kid is ready now. 500K compared to 20M. Nagging injuries like Tulo has EVERY year worry me much more than anything. Id trust Ells to be healthier over the length of his next deal than I do Tulo.

While he is a top SS in MLB, I cant wrap my head around paying a SS who only averages 120 games a year 20M for the next 7 years when we have our #1 prospect ready right now (not in 2-3 years) to take over SS. Also, the Sox are NOT going to give up WMB that quickly. Raw power like he has is not as common as it used to be before the PED testing. Its the reason they protected Brentz this year too. Even though both dont have very good plate discipline, the power potential and cost control is why the team will be more patient than most fans would be.

While I dont agree with you in regards to Tulo, I respect your opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sooooo, you want to finish in last place?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Beltran and the fact thet he doesn't get benched in NL parks like Napoli.

If we sign Beltran and Napoli, it would leave just about nothing left for a catcher and utility IF'er unless we trade some salary.

I don't like 3 years, but the 3rd year could be at DH, maybe even year 2 & 3.

He could play RF in some parks, so Victorino could play CF, but I'd prefer not to move Shane.

If we do sign Beltran, Nava will be traded, moved to 1B vs RHPs, or moved to RF vs RHPs (Shane to CF).

The FT Beltran would also squeeze Gomes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I like Beltran and the fact thet he doesn't get benched in NL parks like Napoli.

If we sign Beltran and Napoli, it would leave just about nothing left for a catcher and utility IF'er unless we trade some salary.

He could play RF in some parks, so Victorino could play CF, but I'd prefer not to move Shane.

If we do sign Beltran, Nava will be traded, moved to 1B vs RHPs, or moved to RF vs RHPs (Shane to CF).

The only concern I have is with personality/make-up.  The guy is the best hitter amongst the free agents.  I wouldn't mind this move.  I have the same feeling about Nava.  He has great numbers especially against right handed pitching, but there's no intangibles.  So losing Nava, gaining Beltran seems like a fine move.  Beltran is a guy who I'm comfortable with at 3rd, 4th, 5th in the order.

It's close between him and Napoli though.  Still.  Napoli is underrated.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

moon,

the more this offseason goes the more i want to go cheap in the of. Nava/Gomes is perfect.  Use JBJ in center, leave Shane and try and bring in Rajai Davis in case JBJ falters.  

Sign Napoli and McCann.  I realize its a little more then we likely will wanna spend but it solidifies the middle of our lineup, enables young players to develop and we still have our core.  

I would use Peavy or Dempster to bolster the pen and create cash freedom.

Vic/Pedey/Papi/Napoli/McCann/Nava/Middy/Xavier/JBJ   vs RHP

Vic/Pedey/Papi/Napoli/McCann/Middy/Gomes/Xavier/Davis vs LHP

i would have a bench of john macdonald as utl inf.  ross and then gomes/nava jbj/davis.  

The top 5 are the staples.  Nava is your spare 1B.   

This is my ideal lineup.   i also hope its dempster not Peavy.  Id like to see Peavy for a full year.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hes a great hitter, but I dont like the move. Who plays center? IVC? Gomes and Nava in right? Or will they put the gimp in right so he can bisect himself nightly on the right field wall? Too old, too many injuries. Pass. Sign Ellsbury and be done with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

moon,

the more this offseason goes the more i want to go cheap in the of. Nava/Gomes is perfect.  Use JBJ in center, leave Shane and try and bring in Rajai Davis in case JBJ falters.  

Sign Napoli and McCann.  I realize its a little more then we likely will wanna spend but it solidifies the middle of our lineup, enables young players to develop and we still have our core.  

i would have a bench of john macdonald as utl inf.  ross and then gomes/nava jbj/davis.  

This is my ideal lineup.   i also hope its dempster not Peavy.  Id like to see Peavy for a full year.  

[/QUOTE]

Peavy in the pen? No.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

moon,

[/QUOTE]

Peavy in the pen? No.

[/QUOTE]

Lester/Buck/Lackey/Peavy/Felix.  No pen for peavy.  Dempster is dealt.  Sorry for the confusion.