Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay

Looks like Pena is heading back to Tampa Bay on a 1 year, 7.25 million contract.  Tampa got the big bat they needed....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay

This guy changes teams so often they should give him a cap with no logo on the front.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This just in:  The Rays have re-acquired Gorman Thoma ... err ... Carlos pena

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay:
    [QUOTE]This guy changes teams so often they should give him a cap with no logo on the front.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

He's been with 4 teams since his rookie season (I didn't count his stint with Boston since it was only 18 games).

I'm suprised Tampa let his go to FA to begin with. Seems like that's where he was most comfortable to begin with.

Good power but Ks way too much. Has 4 Ks for every 3 hits in his career

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay : He's been with 4 teams since his rookie season (I didn't count his stint with Boston since it was only 18 games). I'm suprised Tampa let his go to FA to begin with. Seems like that's where he was most comfortable to begin with. Good power but Ks way too much. Has 4 Ks for every 3 hits in his career
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Funny, I counted 7 teams. Texas, Oakland , Detroit, Boston, Tampa Bay , Cubs and I am counting the Yankees, who signed him in April of 2006....that would make 7 organizations in 11 seasons....and he's changing teams again, but he's returning to a former team. So that's changing teams 7 times in 12 seasons.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay : Funny, I counted 7 teams. Texas, Oakland , Detroit, Boston, Tampa Bay , Cubs and I am counting the Yankees, who signed him in April of 2006....that would make 7 organizations in 11 seasons....and he's changing teams again, but he's returning to a former team. So that's changing teams 7 times in 12 seasons.

I said since his rookie season (didn't count Texas) and if I counted Boston that would have been 6. Didn't see NY.
    No matter, you are right and I am wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

His tumb was giving him problems most of last year. Power came back late last year...always liked the local kid from Haverhill and Northeastern...

His .223BA average should fit nice with Rays .244BA team average...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Let's see GREAT Defense hits 30 to 40 HRS but hits only 225 which is why he has changed teams so often.
    I will not understand why they did not get Kotchman back just as good on D career wise hits 50 pt highr and the OBP is much higher just not as much HR or RBI of course CK usually hits 7th or 8th which will keep RBIs some what lower.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay : Funny, I counted 7 teams. Texas, Oakland , Detroit, Boston, Tampa Bay , Cubs and I am counting the Yankees, who signed him in April of 2006....that would make 7 organizations in 11 seasons....and he's changing teams again, but he's returning to a former team. So that's changing teams 7 times in 12 seasons.

He never actually played for oakland was in the minors when they traded him. And he was traded as a highly rated prospect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay : He never actually played for oakland was in the minors when they traded him. And he was traded as a highly rated prospect. Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE] I guess you never saw "Moneyball." He played for Oakland in 2002. Billy Beane basically traded him because he was ripped at Art Howe for not playing Scott Hatteberg at 1st...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay : He never actually played for oakland was in the minors when they traded him. And he was traded as a highly rated prospect.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]
    Carlos Pena played 40 games for Oakland in 2002 before being traded to Detroit on July 5 in a three-team, seven-layer deal that also included Ted Lilly, Jeff Weaver and Jeremy Bonderman:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/penaca01.shtml#trans

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Anyone else think that is a lot of money for the ouput he provides?  He is Dave Kingman with a glove.  7.5 million is a lot, IMO, especially from Tampa!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone else think that is a lot of money for the ouput he provides?  He is Dave Kingman with a glove.  7.5 million is a lot, IMO, especially from Tampa!
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

What do you mean?!?  Pena hits home runs and he ... he ... oh, never mind ... you are right, and I agree completely.  the only thing I can't wrap my mind around is that apparently, from what I have been reading on this board, the Rays only make great moves while the Red Sox only make bad ones.  So, it just can't possibly be true that the Rays overpaid vis-a-vis their budget for a one dimensional player ... oh wait, Carlos is is a great clubhouse guy, so ... there is that ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ah but the real champion has to be Edwin Jackson.   7 teams in 9 years, and he is still only 28 years old and has never been a free agent until this year...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Solid move by Tampa. If Pena can provide protection to Longoria and come close to his best years Tampa will be a force.

He is 33 and easily can hit 25 doubles, 30 homers, and drive in 100 runs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Pena back to Tampa Bay : Ah but the real champion has to be Edwin Jackson.   7 teams in 9 years, and he is still only 28 years old and has never been a free agent until this year...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

And yet he is still looking for superstar $

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

1) Desmond Jennings
    2) B Upton
    3) Longoria
    4) Pena
    5) Scott
    6) Matt Joyce
    7) ???
    8) Brignac
    9) Zorbist

This is a darn good line-up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why Zobrist 9th?

TB likes to shuffle the line-up a lot, but I'd stick close to this...
    1) Jennings
    2) Zobrist
    3) Longoria
    4) Pena
    5) Scott/Joyce
    6) Joyce/Scott
    7) Upton
    8) Rodriguez (SS)
    9) Chirinois/Lobaton (C)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Why not? lol. I was not putting a lot of thought into it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You folks that are touting the Rays line up do realize there is not one guy who hit over 277 in that line up from last year. Only 4 hit over 250.
    They now have a 30 HR guy with a 225 & 30HR replacing a 300+ hitter
    They were 25th in all of baseball in hitting last year 13th in the AL.
    With the Rays it is ALL about their pitching and not neccessarily their SP. The RP is what has gotten them to the Playoffs every year they have been there. In those years they had the best RP in the AL.

The Rays are built to keep games close and low scoring. They scored 100 + less runs last year than the top 4 in the AL.

If the SP has just a slightly off year (-.50 ERA) and the RP pitch to career averages the Rays will be lucky to beat out the O's.

BTW don't tell me how great Jennings will be IMHO he is another BJ Upton a very good ML but a good defensive and a 250 hitter in MLB

1) Jennings
    2) Zobrist
    3) Longoria
    4) Pena
    5) Scott/Joyce
    6) Joyce/Scott
    7) Upton
    8) Rodriguez (SS)
    9) Chirinois/Lobaton (C)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You folks that are touting the Rays line up do realize there is not one guy who hit over 277 in that line up from last year. Only 4 hit over 250.

All I'm saying is that their line-up will improve.  Burr called it "dam good". I'd call it a lot better than 2011 and pretty decent.
    Also, Longoria was hurt last year and should project to be a .280-.300 hitter in 2012, not .244.

They now have a 30 HR guy with a 225 & 30HR replacing a 300+ hitter

I'd say it will probably be a wash or a slight plus for 2012 as Kotchman had just 48 RBIs as a 1Bman last year.

They were 25th in all of baseball in hitting last year 13th in the AL.

True, they had a team OPS of just .724, but with Longoria playing hurt, Jennings (.805 OPS) playing just 63 games, and Sean Rodriguez now able to play SS, let's look at some very probable pluses that may occur between 2011 and 2012:

1) Longoria goes from BA .244/ OPS .850 to BA .290/OPS .900.
    2) Pena gets 50 more RBIs than Kotchman
    3) Sean Rodriguez continues his .680 OPS instead of Brignac's .448 OPS at SS.
    4) Matt Joyce enters his prime and may improve on his .277/.825 season.
    5) Jennings (.805 or maybe better OPS) replaces Fuld's .673 OPS in 2011.
    6) BJ Upton bounces back (although his 2011 OPS and career OPS were equal).
    7) Chirinois & Lobaton might improve on the '11 catcher numbers (.194/.607)
    8) TB may still sign a DH or rotate players and improve on the .744 OPS by DHs in '11.

With the Rays it is ALL about their pitching and not neccessarily their SP. The RP is what has gotten them to the Playoffs every year they have been there. In those years they had the best RP in the AL.

I'm not sure what stats you are using, but it's quite clear their starting pitching is what has led them to the playoffs and their pen has "overachieved" year after year and helped (not led). Note: ERA is not a good stat to judge relievers.

AL Pen Numbers

2011:
    WAR- 1) Bos 7.7,  2) NYY  7.0,  13th TBR 0.7
    ERA-  1) NYY 3.12,  2) LAA  3.52, Bos 4th 3.67, TBR 6th 3.73
    WHIP 1) Bos  1.20, 2) Tex  1.25,  TBR 4th 1.29, NYY 5th 1.30

2010:
    WAR- 1) CWS 6.5, 2) Tex 5.1, 3) NYY  3.8, 4th TBR 3.6
    ERA-  1) TBR 3.33, 2) Tex 3.38, 3) NYY 3.47
    WHIP: 1) TBR 1.17, 2) NYY  1.25, 3 Tex 1.27, Bos  10th  1.39

2008:
    WAR- 1) NYY  6.8,  2) Bos 6.6, 9th TBR 3.2
    ERA-  1) Tor  2.94, 2) Oak 3.50, 3rd TBR 3.55, 5) NYY 3.79, 7) Bos
    WHIP 1) Tor 1.25, 2) TBR 1.26, 3) NYY 1.27, 4) Oak 1.32

2008-2011 combined:
    WAR-  1) CWS 24.4, 2) NYY 22.9, 3) Bos 20.6, 4) Oak 17.4, 5) Tex 16.6
               6) Tor  13.8, 7) LAA 12.0, 8) KC 10.7, ... 12) TBR 8.6
    ERA- 1) NYY 3.59, 2) Oak 3,64, 3) TBR 3.64, 4) Tor 3.78, 5) Bos 3.92
    WHIP: 1) TBR 1.26, 2) NYY 1.27, 3) Oak 1.32, 4) Tor 1.33, 5) Bos 1.33

The Rays are built to keep games close and low scoring. They scored 100 + less runs last year than the top 4 in the AL.

Nobody is disputing that, and they may score 70-90 less this year as well, but they are getting better offensively, while others may not.

If the SP has just a slightly off year (-.50 ERA) and the RP pitch to career averages the Rays will be lucky to beat out the O's.

Big "ifs". The Rays starters ar mostly just beginning their prime years. It is more likely they improve, especially with Moore pitching more.

BTW don't tell me how great Jennings will be IMHO he is another BJ Upton a very good ML but a good defensive and a 250 hitter in MLB

Why do you think this?

1) Jennings
    2) Zobrist
    3) Longoria
    4) Pena
    5) Scott/Joyce
    6) Joyce/Scott
    7) Upton
    8) Rodriguez (SS)
    9) Chirinois/Lobaton (C)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts