Cecchini has good day in Arizona Fall League

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Cecchini has good day in Arizona Fall League

Travis Shaw has been tearing it up as well.

Hes always had a good OBP and has showed some power the last year. Hes a big kid with a nice swing from the left side. Also plas a good 1b, something we really need. Maybe not 2014, but certainly a consideration for 2015.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

So, from Arizona to Cooperstown !!!!   We are on our way !!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've heard a lot of scouts don't like his bat speed, and if thats's true he could see serious drop offs in production by the time he reaches the big leagues.  you can teach a plate approach but you can't teach raw talent.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but if all you can do is play first base then he has to have a very very veryy good bat to make it in the big leagues, and I just don't see that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've heard a lot of scouts don't like his bat speed, and if thats's true he could see serious drop offs in production by the time he reaches the big leagues.  you can teach a plate approach but you can't teach raw talent.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but if all you can do is play first base then he has to have a very very veryy good bat to make it in the big leagues, and I just don't see that. 

[/QUOTE]

Whats very very good? Mike Napoli numbers. .260BA .350OBP .4800SLG  20-25HR

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But is it so much bat speed with Napoli? as it is having holes in his swing? I'm no pro scout, but when a lot of people seem real low on a guy I try not to get excited about them until they are in the big leagues and prove it.  Here's what Sox prospects had to say about Shaw, who also dropped to #46 on their rankings.:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/shaw-travis.htm

I guess if I wanted to contradict myself i could say that the AFL is filled with other teams prospects too and has a higher level of competition but many of these pitchers may be tired....and at the end of the day it's a one month sample. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But is it so much bat speed with Napoli? as it is having holes in his swing? I'm no pro scout, but when a lot of people seem real low on a guy I try not to get excited about them until they are in the big leagues and prove it.  Here's what Sox prospects had to say about Shaw, who also dropped to #46 on their rankings.:

I guess if I wanted to contradict myself i could say that the AFL is filled with other teams prospects too and has a higher level of competition but many of these pitchers may be tired....and at the end of the day it's a one month sample. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand what the scouts are saying and Im not saying hes the next 1b in Boston, more of a hope that he has turned a corner I guess. Ive seen him too and I agree his swing is slow and long. Thats not an easy fix. Pro pitchers will feast on that.

I guess over the last couple years he seems to have improved some things, but I certainly dont claim to be a pro scout. I guess your right Hugh :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand what the scouts are saying and Im not saying hes the next 1b in Boston, more of a hope that he has turned a corner I guess. Ive seen him too and I agree his swing is slow and long. Thats not an easy fix. Pro pitchers will feast on that.

I guess over the last couple years he seems to have improved some things, but I certainly dont claim to be a pro scout. I guess your right Hugh :(

[/QUOTE]

Well I'm definitely pro scout myself, I guess I'm just playing the odds.  People who fit his profile more often than not fizzle out sometime between double A and the bigs.  That doesn't mean he can't turn the corner and become a good defending 1bman who perhaps has a low average and high strike outs but decent pop and a high walk rate.  Depending on the situation I can see a team living with that for a year or so....

It would definitely be convenient if Shaw took off wouldn't it? 1B is definitely and area of weakness in the system. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interview and article.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131111&content_id=63840874&c_id=t544

[/QUOTE]

Probably the best hitter RS have down on the farm. Would not surprise me if we don't see him at some point in 14 for a cup of coffee as they say.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Travis Shaw has been tearing it up as well.

Hes always had a good OBP and has showed some power the last year. Hes a big kid with a nice swing from the left side. Also plas a good 1b, something we really need. Maybe not 2014, but certainly a consideration for 2015.

[/QUOTE]

Travis Shaw was my sleeper pick a couple years ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

[QUOTE]

Well the FO and their scouts have to get together and decide what to do prior to the Rule 5 draft if they want to retain Renaudo, Brentz, and Cecchini. Didn't they pay Cecchini over a mil $$ to sign him? Either protect them or package them in a trade.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of those guys are in Rule 5 draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I was not impressed by Shaw, very big swing with lots of holes. Cecchini on the other hand has batting title potential as long as he doesn't become long-ball obsessed. He's a line-drive gap hitter who could add enough strength to hit 15 or so bombs a year, but with 45 doubles and 10 triples. He forces Middlebrooks into a make or break year this coming season at third.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well the FO and their scouts have to get together and decide what to do prior to the Rule 5 draft if they want to retain Renaudo, Brentz, and Cecchini. Didn't they pay Cecchini over a mil $$ to sign him? Either protect them or package them in a trade.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of those guys are in Rule 5 draft.

[/QUOTE]

The following players will be eligible for the December 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Nate Reed, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ryan Lavarnway, our next Carlton Fisk will be the openning day catcher in 2014  !!!   Just saying !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we have 36 players on the 40 man roster right now, so Cecchini, Ranaudo and Brentz will be added soon. The last player has more to do with who we think some team may choose to draft. Remember, the team that drafts a player has to keep them on their 25 man roster all year. Is ML Luis Diaz ready? Almanzar? de la Cruz? Some team may take one anyways, but my guess is we put Luis Diaz at #40, or trade away a player or two to make room for all two or three.

Trade or DFA candidates:

Andrew Bailey (nontender?)

Alex Castellanos

Brayan Villareal

Mike Carp

Brock Holt

Ryan Dempster

Alex Hassan

Dan Butler

Steven Wright

Alex Wilson

Ryan Kalish

Morales or Miller

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we have 36 players on the 40 man roster right now, so Cecchini, Ranaudo and Brentz will be added soon. The last player has more to do with who we think some team may choose to draft. Remember, the team that drafts a player has to keep them on their 25 man roster all year. Is ML Luis Diaz ready? Almanzar? de la Cruz? Some team may take one anyways, but my guess is we put Luis Diaz at #40, or trade away a player or two to make room for all two or three.

Trade or DFA candidates:

Andrew Bailey (nontender?)

Alex Castellanos

Brayan Villareal

Mike Carp

Brock Holt

Ryan Dempster

Alex Hassan

Dan Butler

Steven Wright

Alex Wilson

Ryan Kalish

Morales or Miller

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we need to 40 man Diaz to protect him, he has not thrown more than 13 innings above low A ball.  Almanzar is a more likely candidate however he still has serious holes in his game.  He would need to show some kind of versatility to stick to a ML roster and as a player who has low defensive value playing in AA the bat would have to be the carrying tool.

My guess is either those two would be returned if selected and likely might not even be selected at all.  Cecchini, Ranaudo, and Brentz are the definites, and likely everyone in your DFA/Trade list will either be added to the 40 man....or traded/DFA'd.  I can see Kalish being DFA as well, although I see the Sox giving him a strong look in ST and if he's healthy it will likely be another AAA outfielder who gets DFA or traded. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think we need to 40 man Diaz to protect him, he has not thrown more than 13 innings above low A ball.  Almanzar is a more likely candidate however he still has serious holes in his game.  He would need to show some kind of versatility to stick to a ML roster and as a player who has low defensive value playing in AA the bat would have to be the carrying tool.

My guess is either those two would be returned if selected and likely might not even be selected at all.  Cecchini, Ranaudo, and Brentz are the definites, and likely everyone in your DFA/Trade list will either be added to the 40 man....or traded/DFA'd.  I can see Kalish being DFA as well, although I see the Sox giving him a strong look in ST and if he's healthy it will likely be another AAA outfielder who gets DFA or traded. 

Good assessment. Since we may not need to DFA anyone, I think we keep kalish around.

Bailey will be gone, so we can add Almanzar and Diaz to the 40 man. Since we may call up Owens by the end of the year, we may keep the two off the 40 man, if we know they won't be drafted.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ryan Lavarnway, our next Carlton Fisk will be the openning day catcher in 2014  !!!   Just saying !!!

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. He has more of a chance of being traded somewhere thatn to be our starting catcher. Just sayin!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pfffftt!!!    Maybe for the Houston AAAstros.

I know,  you were just being funny Bill.  Good one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

For what it's worth, the Houston Astros already have an All Star catcher in 26-year-old Jason Castro, who ranked fourth in WAR* among catchers with at least 300 plate appearances this year.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MustangBri's comment:

For what it's worth, the Houston Astros already have an All Star catcher in 26-year-old Jason Castro, who ranked fourth in WAR* among catchers with at least 300 plate appearances this year.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

[/QUOTE]

Rumor has it they may be trading Castro. They are high on prospect Max Stassi.