Celebrating Failure....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Celebrating Failure....

Ahhh, baseball,

The celebration of who is the best loser.

I’m in an especially negative mood tonight…so I’m going to lash out at those of us who are well informed and especially negative.

Tonight that even includes me.

I won’t likely say anything new, but so what?

Here we are, fans of failure. I don’t mean the Red Sox, but of baseball. And we have those who would lord their supposed - or maybe even real - status of being informed over the rest of us as if it were a measure of their exalted place. Truly informed fans would make thus and so a conclusion - most often in the dire and dread department. In other words, they can see the greater failure earlier than we and relish in it.

Laughable.

Our greatest hitters ever failed over 60% of the time, when hits are counted.

When we add other ways to reach base, we celebrate those who get on almost 50% of the time.

When I was in school, those were marks for the severely encumbered.

Our finest teams have hardly ever reached 70% in a season. Again, when I was in school that was failing. Until I moved to Florida … then a 65 meant passing with a D. Brilliant.

Informed? How many times have we crowned champs of barely 50% in wins, like the storied Cardinals a few years back? They got “hot” at the right time and beat teams much better than they were … Fortunate for them they were in a weak division with even BIGGER losers or else they wouldn’t have had the chance.

Weather, injuries, a wildly successful unexpected season by a player - or are terribly disappointing one from a highly regarded one … all play into our being informed … and so much more.

When the Sox won in ‘67 … I celebrated like crazy … only to have naysayers add their great insight “One of the weakest pennant winners ever.” Huh?

I admit I’m not as informed as many. I’ll even admit to being ret arded - these drugs I’ve taken for 37 years for my seizures have slowed me down precipitously. I’m not breaking that politically correct barrier and talking about others … I know I’m slower. I AM ret arded. But that in no way shape or form slows down my anticipation that this will be a great season. Nor will it lessen my expectation that we may very well end up winning it all.

I’ll be better tomorrow. Promise. But I just had to add my uninformed thoughts about the 2012 season. I fully expect good things. I totally anticipate a run at the top.

If I am wrong, so what? Most of baseball is failure. We celebrate the tiny bit that is success.

GO SOX!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: Celebrating Failure....

In Response to Celebrating Failure....:
    [QUOTE]Ahhh, baseball, The celebration of who is the best loser.   I’m in an especially negative mood tonight…so I’m going to lash out at those of us who are well informed and especially negative.   Tonight that even includes me.   I won’t likely say anything new, but so what?   Here we are, fans of failure. I don’t mean the Red Sox, but of baseball. And we have those who would lord their supposed - or maybe even real - status of being informed over the rest of us as if it were a measure of their exalted place. Truly informed fans would make thus and so a conclusion - most often in the dire and dread department. In other words, they can see the greater failure earlier than we and relish in it.    Laughable.     Our greatest hitters ever failed over 60% of the time, when hits are counted.     When we add other ways to reach base, we celebrate those who get on almost 50% of the time.   When I was in school, those were marks for the severely encumbered.   Our finest teams have hardly ever reached 70% in a season. Again, when I was in school that was failing. Until I moved to Florida … then a 65 meant passing with a D. Brilliant.   Informed? How many times have we crowned champs of barely 50% in wins, like the storied Cardinals a few years back? They got “hot” at the right time and beat teams much better than they were … Fortunate for them they were in a weak division with even BIGGER losers or else they wouldn’t have had the chance. Weather, injuries, a wildly successful unexpected season by a player - or are terribly disappointing one from a highly regarded one … all play into our being informed … and so much more.   When the Sox won in ‘67 … I celebrated like crazy … only to have naysayers add their great insight “One of the weakest pennant winners ever.” Huh?   I admit I’m not as informed as many. I’ll even admit to being ret arded - these drugs I’ve taken for 37 years for my seizures have slowed me down precipitously. I’m not breaking that politically correct barrier and talking about others … I know I’m slower. I AM ret arded. But that in no way shape or form slows down my anticipation that this will be a great season. Nor will it lessen my expectation that we may very well end up winning it all.   I’ll be better tomorrow. Promise. But I just had to add my uninformed thoughts about the 2012 season. I fully expect good things. I totally anticipate a run at the top.   If I am wrong, so what? Most of baseball is failure. We celebrate the tiny bit that is success.   GO SOX!
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]     Until I moved to Florida …  GO SOX!

Yaz, just out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying, what part of Florida?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Don't mind a bit.  Lake Wales.   Back in August of '71 

How's it going Dusty?  
      :o)
    BTW, I AM doing much better tonight!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]Ahhh, baseball, The celebration of who is the best loser.   I’m in an especially negative mood tonight…so I’m going to lash out at those of us who are well informed and especially negative.   Tonight that even includes me.   I won’t likely say anything new, but so what?   Here we are, fans of failure. I don’t mean the Red Sox, but of baseball. And we have those who would lord their supposed - or maybe even real - status of being informed over the rest of us as if it were a measure of their exalted place. Truly informed fans would make thus and so a conclusion - most often in the dire and dread department. In other words, they can see the greater failure earlier than we and relish in it.    Laughable.     Our greatest hitters ever failed over 60% of the time, when hits are counted.     When we add other ways to reach base, we celebrate those who get on almost 50% of the time.   When I was in school, those were marks for the severely encumbered.   Our finest teams have hardly ever reached 70% in a season. Again, when I was in school that was failing. Until I moved to Florida … then a 65 meant passing with a D. Brilliant.   Informed? How many times have we crowned champs of barely 50% in wins, like the storied Cardinals a few years back? They got “hot” at the right time and beat teams much better than they were … Fortunate for them they were in a weak division with even BIGGER losers or else they wouldn’t have had the chance. Weather, injuries, a wildly successful unexpected season by a player - or are terribly disappointing one from a highly regarded one … all play into our being informed … and so much more.   When the Sox won in ‘67 … I celebrated like crazy … only to have naysayers add their great insight “One of the weakest pennant winners ever.” Huh?   I admit I’m not as informed as many. I’ll even admit to being ret arded - these drugs I’ve taken for 37 years for my seizures have slowed me down precipitously. I’m not breaking that politically correct barrier and talking about others … I know I’m slower. I AM ret arded. But that in no way shape or form slows down my anticipation that this will be a great season. Nor will it lessen my expectation that we may very well end up winning it all.   I’ll be better tomorrow. Promise. But I just had to add my uninformed thoughts about the 2012 season. I fully expect good things. I totally anticipate a run at the top.   If I am wrong, so what? Most of baseball is failure. We celebrate the tiny bit that is success.   GO SOX!
    Nice post, sinceyaz...We all slow down in one form or another yaz.....but not everyone speeds up like you over time in the realm of wisdom, respect & love for others, and being a class act....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Celebrating Failure....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Celebrating Failure.... : Nice post, sinceyaz...We all slow down in one form or another yaz.....but not everyone speeds up like you over time in the realm of wisdom, respect & love for others, and being a class act....
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]

.. you may have accomplished the near impossible ...
      I am almost speachless.   Kind words, thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I get philosophical about this stuff too.  Why are we so fascinated with team competition to begin with?  It's essentially a zero sum game.  Put two teams on the field, one wins and one loses.  Pitcher against hitter, one wins and one loses.  In the bigger picture you have thirty MLB teams vying for one trophy.  One winner, 29 losers.

But there's just so much stuff that happens in the games that is interesting and fun to watch.  Success and failure are relative.  But the action and intrigue of what goes on in the games makes it compelling.  And oh yes, an occasional World Series win really makes it worthwhile.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i hear all of you..im was devastated by last year that i promised myself to just enjoy the this season...no huge expectations...sit back, have a beer, listen to more games on the radio, spend less time on the forum (no offense), and maybe try to see more games....i am excited about Bobby V and the young uns but im not going to lose it if we end up in third...which is what a lot of people are expecting anyways...as Space says - its all good...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]i hear all of you..im was devastated by last year that i promised myself to just enjoy the this season...no huge expectations...sit back, have a beer, listen to more games on the radio, spend less time on the forum (no offense), and maybe try to see more games....i am excited about Bobby V and the young uns but im not going to lose it if we end up in third...which is what a lot of people are expecting anyways...as Space says - its all good...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

You might also take a course on logic at the local community College. You were here every day for four months preaching that the collapse of 25 players in September was definitely due to a few beers and buckets of that terrible fried chicken and to video games that were never played by starting pitchers on their off day. You really need to lay off the booze or else take that logic course.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

All I know is if the sox go 0 and 162 ill still watch as many games as I possibly can!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I get philosophical about this stuff too.  Why are we so fascinated with team competition to begin with?  It's essentially a zero sum game.  Put two teams on the field, one wins and one loses.  Pitcher against hitter, one wins and one loses.  In the bigger picture you have thirty MLB teams vying for one trophy.  One winner, 29 losers. But there's just so much stuff that happens in the games that is interesting and fun to watch.  Success and failure are relative.  But the action and intrigue of what goes on in the games makes it compelling.  And oh yes, an occasional World Series win really makes it worthwhile.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad to see someone else that thinks a little like me.   That might be a bit scary for you, Halifax ...  :o)

But I have fairly often commented on how it's tough to consider everyone a loser when so many have played well.  It even ties into a reality that has been fairly consistent in the ALE ... usually 2 or 3 of the best teams are here, but often all but one got squeezed out.  (Extra WC this season may help!!!)

You are so very poignant when pointing out the intricacies of each game.  Bravo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]i hear all of you..im was devastated by last year that i promised myself to just enjoy the this season...no huge expectations...sit back, have a beer, listen to more games on the radio, spend less time on the forum (no offense), and maybe try to see more games....i am excited about Bobby V and the young uns but im not going to lose it if we end up in third...which is what a lot of people are expecting anyways...as Space says - its all good...
    +1 georom4 and Space, my sentiments exactly. Particulary the no huge expectations piece. It will keep the stress level manageable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Can we petition Dottie to ban any poster who thinks that winning a World Series ring is the most important measure of being an elite player. I wasn't aware that the Hall of Fame rejected candidates based on not ever having a WS ring.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]Can we petition Dottie to ban any poster who thinks that winning a World Series ring is the most important measure of being an elite player. I wasn't aware that the Hall of Fame rejected candidates based on not ever having a WS ring.
    Posted by FortMeade[/QUOTE]

If Dottie did that then she would have to ban at least 40 posters who swear that winning one ring is more important than batting .406.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Celebrating Failure....": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celebrating Failure.... : If Dottie did that then she would have to ban at least 40 posters who swear that winning one ring is more important than batting .406. Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE] Another example of you talking to yourself. I really don't know why you keep up the charade when everyone knows about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Do you think that WS rings are overrated or are you waiting for J-Bay to express his opinion first?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Celebrating Failure....": Another example of you talking to yourself. I really don't know why you keep up the charade when everyone knows about it.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    Exam, the answer is an epic troll, being utterly delusional. IMO, Pike has now outdone Softlaw and Babe in terms of Internet Troll behavior. My apologies to Softlaw and Babe, as I know that statement hurts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Nice post Yaz.  A Red Sox fan for 70 years, myself, can't quote stats and often just plain misstate the obvious.  Still work full time so sometimes am forced to call it an evening without seeing final innings  (like last night).  The one thing that never changes is my optimism and anticipation of success every year and 2012 is no different.

Agree with you that many celebrate the failures.  But most fans celebrate despite the failures.  We've had to.  2004 was a long time coming.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I am summerof67 and I approve this message.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

G - well said. Some fans put such expectations on a team or particular year that they become personally hurt if the ultimate prize is not claimed at the end of the year. Sometimes we act as if we are the ones on the field. That it is our pride on the line and how dare our team lose.

I have said for years that I love the game, I love the rivalries that exist and the intensity of the playoffs. But I will never walk away and allow disappointment wash over my enjoyment of the game. It is why I was able to walk away after the Sox sweeping NY the last 4 games of the 2004 ALCS as if nothing happened.

Enjoy life, everything about it because it is the only one you have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Thanks for bringing a little perspective back to the board, SinceYaz.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Yaz, old friend.

I think you have the right idea and are taking a good tack into the wind here.

We all need to be more philosophical about the season to come.

I think there are many holes that yet need filling in the lineup for the Olde Towne Team. The debate over Iggy and whether he is truly ready for the show seems to encapsulate everything that is wrong, or seems on the surface to be wrong, about the way things are going in Spring Training.

Surely, there is something to be said for winning, but there is also something to be said for gathering with friends (and a few cold beverages) on a warm summer evening and watching grown men attempting to throw, hit and catch a round, white ball with red stitching - in an urban oasis of green and white that keeps the noise and stress of daily life at bay, if but for a few hours. (And the green of the Fenway wall is a unique blend of paint caled Fenway Green which, if memory serves, belongs to the Red Sox alone.)

But we should celebrate and hold dear the fleeting joys of The Summer Game:

The crack of the bat during BP - the sound echoing against the empty seats (that will soon be filled).

The elegant laziness of a ball sailing into the bleachers and the smile on the batter's face as he realizes that it's just batting practice.

The hush of the crowd as the game beginds. The unexpected loudness ("THWOP!!!") of a fastball hitting the pocket of the catcher's glove.

Cheers at a strike high and inside; groans at a ball outside and low.

A passed ball with the bases loaded. Pandemonium-um-um-um.

The easy playfulness of the crowd as the game goes out of reach for either team.  Beach balls appear. The Wave travels noisily into the night.

Wishing they could find something to play on the loudspeakers besides Sweet Caroline or Dirty Water.

Yaz, my friend, our faith is to be challenged this year, but my faith will not be shaken.

There is a quote from Annie Savoy in Bull Durham and it gives me strength to this day: 

"Walt Whitman once said, 'I see great things in baseball. It's our game, the American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.' You could look it up." 

Baseball will yet be a blessing to us, though I fear that we may not see it as such this year.

But there is always next year.

Keep the faith, my friend.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Nice post Yaz.  A Red Sox fan for 70 years, myself, can't quote stats and often just plain misstate the obvious.  Still work full time so sometimes am forced to call it an evening without seeing final innings  (like last night).  The one thing that never changes is my optimism and anticipation of success every year and 2012 is no different. Agree with you that many celebrate the failures.  But most fans celebrate despite the failures.  We've had to.  2004 was a long time coming.
    Posted by michaelsjr[/QUOTE]

Thx, Sr,

You're right, '04 was special.  Beyond words!   But we have had a lot of fun at other times.  Yaz's Triple Crown, the twin pleasures of Fred and Jim, and Papi and Manny, of so many, many others .... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]All I know is if the sox go 0 and 162 ill still watch as many games as I possibly can!!
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!!