Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff

Is Lester ready to take the Ace role he was given in 2010 when he was made #1 starter? Beckett was re-named the #1 starter for 2011, and I am sure he was embarrassed for losing that in 2010. I wonder if Beckett wants to be the best pitcher on the team though.

Jon Lester this is your time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Living out here in Milwaukee makes it difficult to keep up with the Sox. Whatever happened to Erik Bedard ? I thought he was picked off of Baltimore's scrap heap and was thought to have a promising career to resurrect. 

Hetchinspete

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Bedard sign with the Pirates.

Anyone wants Harden if they can't sign Oswalt/Kuroda?

Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Bard, Harden.

mid season: Tazawa, Alex Wilson

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I wouldn't offer Kaznir more than 750 thousand and a minor league invite.  Harden, on the other hand, even when he is battling injuries (which is constantly), still mahages to put up decent numbers.  If he is currently healthy and planning to be ready for ST, no restrictions, then he would be a real good bridge to Dice-K's return.  But I'd want to see another starter brought in for more depth.  Just not Garland (who realistically will not pitch much at all, if at all, in 2012) or Kazmir.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff:
    [QUOTE]Bedard sign with the Pirates. Anyone wants Harden if they can't sign Oswalt/Kuroda? Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Bard, Harden. mid season: Tazawa, Alex Wilson
    Posted by Mt200[/QUOTE]

Theo looked into getting Harden last summer, so there may be interest in him still. I doubt he will cost much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Good point about Harden when healthy, he may be better than Kazmir when healthy.

I think Garland will be ready albeit it may not be opening day.....based on what I know, I am thinking May 1.

The bottom line is that we have 6.5 million and we need 2 arms.  Most definetly one reliable starter and then either another starter or a reliever, preferably left handed.   And both should be able to actually pitch in ST not still coming off injuries.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Mooncheck advocates Wastefield, for 1 to 2 million.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Good point about Harden when healthy, he may be better than Kazmir when healthy. I think Garland will be ready albeit it may not be opening day.....based on what I know, I am thinking May 1. The bottom line is that we have 6.5 million and we need 2 arms.  Most definetly one reliable starter and then either another starter or a reliever, preferably left handed.   And both should be able to actually pitch in ST not still coming off injuries.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

We need pitchers who are ready opening day and can give us some innings.  Dice-K could be back in June; I don't see why Garland would be a fit, since he will probably be ready about the same time as Dice-K.

I think Harden is healthy now.

Even Wake pitching from April to June then handing over his slot to Dice-K is a better option than Garland and could be had for about $1M to $1.5M. (Maybe even $800K with some easy incentives to bring him to $1.25M and some harder ones that could bring him to $1.75M or $2M.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think Garland will be ready for May 1 and would be well worth 4 million

Dice K - Aug 1

I'd rather have Garland than Dice K just based on performance

Please do not rely on Dice K, Wake, etc......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Availlable lefties for the Sox is kind of different: Lester,Morales,Hill,Doubrant,Miller and Carlson and the excess of MLB guys ready from the RH ers include Bowden,Atchison,Tazawa,Pena and I'm sure at least two or three more guys whom I've forgotten. You would like to think they are tradeable for a seviceable player or two.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I think Garland will be ready for May 1 and would be well worth 4 million Dice K - Aug 1 I'd rather have Garland than Dice K just based on performance Please do not rely on Dice K, Wake, etc......

If Garland had TJ surgery in July, chances are he won't be ready until July or August...same as Dice-K. I'm not sure where you get your dates of readuness from.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Bard to be starter [no.4]. Believer he can make Ogando switch.
    RS will find another starter thru FA/trade route. Hoping for P.Maholm type if can get for right $ - Oswalt to much risk/$ for me- but think Maholm w/ change of scenery might be good risk- J.Saunders also but $ probably to high for BC.
    Aceves stays in BP- don't fix if not broken. This guy does too many things to help pen. Too bad for him. He can spot start +/- 8th inn. setup.
    Dice back by all reports before June to help if injuries. Probably takes rotation spot of Bard once inning count gets high and Bard moves to BP for playoffs which gives RS excellent playoff bullpen.
    Morales lights out this winter earns spot in BP.
    Miller/Doubront/Bowden all have chance of making opening day roster if pitch well in ST. BC won't risk losing to waivers- too young. Don't be surprised if Jenks starts year on DL and pitches way into shape in minors for 1-2 mos. never was much for keeping in shape, can't imagine he's done much w/ surgery, and not pitching most of last year.
    Miller gets everychance to make rotation. But numbers might force BC to put one of these guys thru waivers if they pitch poorly in ST Doubront/ Bowden/Miller. This doesn't include Atchinson who is also out of options but probably will be snuck thru waivers and serve as insurance for big club.
    Never can a team have too much Pitching as we learned last year & 05!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bard to be starter [no.4]. Believer he can make Ogando switch.
    RS will find another starter thru FA/trade route. Hoping for P.Maholm type if can get for right $ - Oswalt to much risk/$ for me- but think Maholm w/ change of scenery might be good risk- J.Saunders also but $ probably to high for BC.
    Aceves stays in BP- don't fix if not broken. This guy does too many things to help pen. Too bad for him. He can spot start +/- 8th inn. setup.
    Dice back by all reports before June to help if injuries. Probably takes rotation spot of Bard once inning count gets high and Bard moves to BP for playoffs which gives RS excellent playoff bullpen.
    Morales lights out this winter earns spot in BP.
    Miller/Doubront/Bowden all have chance of making opening day roster if pitch well in ST. BC won't risk losing to waivers- too young. Don't be surprised if Jenks starts year on DL and pitches way into shape in minors for 1-2 mos. never was much for keeping in shape, can't imagine he's done much w/ surgery, and not pitching most of last year.
    Miller gets everychance to make rotation. But numbers might force BC to put one of these guys thru waivers if they pitch poorly in ST Doubront/ Bowden/Miller. This doesn't include Atchinson who is also out of options but probably will be snuck thru waivers and serve as insurance for big club.
    Never can a team have too much Pitching as we learned last year & 05!

I agree wee can never have too much, but feel we aren't at even "enough" right now.

Remember, it wasn't just 2011 and 2005, look at...

2010:
    32 starts from our 6th starter (Wake) and 4 more from others.

2009:
    21 starts from 6th starter Wake
    16 starts from 7th starter Buch
    8 from Smoltz
    6 Masterson
    6 Byrd
    4 Tazawa
    1 Bowden

2008:
    9 masterson
    8 Byrd
    7 Colon
    2 Pauley
    1 Bowden
    1 Zink

2007:
    No surprise. The year we win it, we get 128 starts from our 1-5 guys and 23 from Tavarez (6th). Only 11 more from 3 other guys (7 Gabbard, 3 Buch, & 1 Hansack)

2006:
    10 from Snyder
    8  D Wells
    6 Tavarez
    6 DiNardo
    6 Johnson
    4 Gabbard
    3 Jarvis
    3 Pauley
    2 Hansack

2005: We actually got 127 starts from our top 4 guys and 11 from Schill, 16 from Wade miller, only 8 more from out 8th starter and below (Gonzalez, Paps, & DiNardo).

2004: No surprise again: 157 starts from our top 5 guys!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

First off, some good baseball talk on this thread.  I believe they are commited to Bard starting.  Unless it goes terribly bad, he will get every opportunity to be one of the 5 in the rotation, and like some others have said, there is a precedent for this transition to work (Pedro, Lowe, Ogando, and others i am forgetting).  They aren't asking him to come in and be a No. 1 or 2.  Although they are also going to stretch Aceves out, i strongly believe he will be back in the jack-of-all trades role.  He excelled at it last year and that is just so valuable to a team over the course of 162.  He will get his spot starts.  This leaves the # 5 spot in the rotation.  I think we can forget about Garza, unless somehow it is worked out as part of the compensation, which will only happen if Selig decides to get involved for real.  Theo knows what he has, and the Yankees, Blue Jays, and Marlins are all pushing hard for him.  If we are going to make a trade, i believe it should be for Wandy Rodriguez.  Houston needs everything, so we should be able to match up with them again and not sacrifice our top, top prospects.  Yes, he will cost money, but LL indicated that the sox would be willing to go over the luxury tax for the right deal.  It has also been indicated that the Astro's may pay some of his 2012 salary.  I think he'd be a perfect middle of the rotation guy who'd give you 28-32 starts.  On the free agent front, out of all the guys moonslav listed, i like Rich Harden the best for the money he'd command.  They obviously like him, as they had a trade in place for him at the deadline, until the medical staff nixed it.  Ironically, he continued to pitch pretty well, while Bedard came over and was hurt.  Harden can still miss bats when healthy.  Internally, i'd give Doubront and Tazawa every opportunity to step up and claim a spot.  The are the most talented of the crew that was mentioned.  They simply need to be healthy and in shape.  So in summary, between Wandy, Harden, Feix D and Tazawa, as well as Dice K coming back in June/July and one more shot w/ Andrew Miller and a different pitching coach, we should be able to fill those 50-60 starts that the back end of the rotation will need to do.  Thoughts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I agree wee can never have too much, but feel we aren't at even "enough" right now. Remember, it wasn't just 2011 and 2005, look at... 2010: 32 starts from our 6th starter (Wake) and 4 more from others. 2009: 21 starts from 6th starter Wake 16 starts from 7th starter Buch 8 from Smoltz 6 Masterson 6 Byrd 4 Tazawa 1 Bowden 2008: 9 masterson 8 Byrd 7 Colon 2 Pauley 1 Bowden 1 Zink 2007: No surprise. The year we win it, we get 128 starts from our 1-5 guys and 23 from Tavarez (6th). Only 11 more from 3 other guys (7 Gabbard, 3 Buch, & 1 Hansack) 2006: 10 from Snyder 8  D Wells 6 Tavarez 6 DiNardo 6 Johnson 4 Gabbard 3 Jarvis 3 Pauley 2 Hansack 2005: We actually got 127 starts from our top 4 guys and 11 from Schill, 16 from Wade miller, only 8 more from out 8th starter and below (Gonzalez, Paps, & DiNardo). 2004: No surprise again: 157 starts from our top 5 guys!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I know injuries are part of the game. But for some reason feel like RS have had more than their share. Was really glad to see some of the changes team made with training and medical staffs [can't hurt]. Can't say RS always seem to be team in best shape so to speak.Be interesting to see if in time this helps. I know age is factor in injuries, but over last few years doesn't seem to matter if you look at guys who have missed time W/RS = anyone not missed some time? Nothing you can do about foul ball off foot = broken those things happen. But all these muscle pulls in my mind can be prevented to a certain degree.Mike Boyle has his work cut out with this team. Your right about years when staff stayed relatively healthy we won WS titles, starters are big part of winning if they stay healthy= more innings = better bullpen. Over the last 8 yrs think the RS have avg about 10 different starters per year. You know those 6-10 guys are not 7 ip per start types, just kills the pen. Maybe RS should put more weight clauses in player contracts something I know Yanks do alot w/ their players or supply players w/ off season conditioning coaches that team will pick up cost. I know alot of players say their going to these Athlete performance centers in AZ & Fla. but I would prefer someone who reports to team management and tells what player really is doing and how hard they are working. Showing up and working hard can be 2 different things. These guys are being paid alot of money, may be time to make sure team getting max effort year around.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff : If Garland had TJ surgery in July, chances are he won't be ready until July or August...same as Dice-K. I'm not sure where you get your dates of readuness from.

Garland did not have TJ - that was Dice K

Garland repaired a rotator cuff

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]First off, some good baseball talk on this thread.  I believe they are commited to Bard starting.  Unless it goes terribly bad, he will get every opportunity to be one of the 5 in the rotation, and like some others have said, there is a precedent for this transition to work (Pedro, Lowe, Ogando, and others i am forgetting).  They aren't asking him to come in and be a No. 1 or 2.  Although they are also going to stretch Aceves out, i strongly believe he will be back in the jack-of-all trades role.  He excelled at it last year and that is just so valuable to a team over the course of 162.  He will get his spot starts.  This leaves the # 5 spot in the rotation.  I think we can forget about Garza, unless somehow it is worked out as part of the compensation, which will only happen if Selig decides to get involved for real.  Theo knows what he has, and the Yankees, Blue Jays, and Marlins are all pushing hard for him.  If we are going to make a trade, i believe it should be for Wandy Rodriguez.  Houston needs everything, so we should be able to match up with them again and not sacrifice our top, top prospects.  Yes, he will cost money, but LL indicated that the sox would be willing to go over the luxury tax for the right deal.  It has also been indicated that the Astro's may pay some of his 2012 salary.  I think he'd be a perfect middle of the rotation guy who'd give you 28-32 starts.  On the free agent front, out of all the guys moonslav listed, i like Rich Harden the best for the money he'd command.  They obviously like him, as they had a trade in place for him at the deadline, until the medical staff nixed it.  Ironically, he continued to pitch pretty well, while Bedard came over and was hurt.  Harden can still miss bats when healthy.  Internally, i'd give Doubront and Tazawa every opportunity to step up and claim a spot.  The are the most talented of the crew that was mentioned.  They simply need to be healthy and in shape.  So in summary, between Wandy, Harden, Feix D and Tazawa, as well as Dice K coming back in June/July and one more shot w/ Andrew Miller and a different pitching coach, we should be able to fill those 50-60 starts that the back end of the rotation will need to do.  Thoughts?
    Posted by cassvt2004[/QUOTE]

I have mentioned Wandy several times. I live near Houston, and i know they are shopping him around, but have heard they'd prefer not to have to pay any of his salary, unless they get "some true good prospects" in return.

I'd offer them Salty, Anderson, Atchison, and Bowden.

I'd give them Middlebrooks if they paid most of his salary. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Wow - Salty OR Middlebrooks for Wandy?  No thank you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I cant believe some people want to pay Kazmir good money. When was the last time he pitched well? I like Maholm from Pitt a lot. Our line up would really help him out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff : Garland did not have TJ - that was Dice K Garland repaired a rotator cuff

Sorry, I got it wrong. However, rotator cuff injuries often take more than a year to fully recover. I wouldn't pay even close to what you are suggesting for a big question mark. We need someone ready day 1. Someone to give us 7 innings a game for many many games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Wow - Salty OR Middlebrooks for Wandy?  No thank you.

I'd give both if Houston paid 80% of Wandy's contract 2012-2013.

1) We'd be better with Lava over Salty anyway (in my opinion).
    2) I'm not high on Middlebrooks. I like Cecchini better, and think he'll be ready in 2014 (after Youk's last season). If not, we still have Aviles and Bogaerts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]I cant believe some people want to pay Kazmir good money. When was the last time he pitched well? I like Maholm from Pitt a lot. Our line up would really help him out.
    Posted by maxnsl[/QUOTE]

Casey Fossum

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Maholm could be an option. He looked pretty good last year, but had 5.00+ ERA in 2 of the previous 4 seasons in a weaker league. I'm also concerned with his career 1.424 WHIP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anybody hear anything on what guys like Mahom are asking for or expecting to get?

Looking at what some of these other pitchers have signed for, I'm beginning to think the best we might be able to get are Silva types.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Choices with the Sox Pitching Staff : I'd give both if Houston paid 80% of Wandy's contract 2012-2013. 1) We'd be better with Lava over Salty anyway (in my opinion). 2) I'm not high on Middlebrooks. I like Cecchini better, and think he'll be ready in 2014 (after Youk's last season). If not, we still have Aviles and Bogaerts.

I don't mean to nitpick here as you make good points but you messed w YOUK

Are you suggesting that Youk could be replaced w/ Mike Avilies?  That would be such a downgrade I don't know what I would do........