Ciriaco---new lease on life!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Ciriaco---new lease on life!

"Padres shortstop Pedro Ciriaco went 2-for-4 with a triple, a home run, three RBIs, two runs scored and a stolen base on Thursday vs. the Dodgers."

The young man was jerked around, here, not knowing whether he was on 3rd base or in a limo headed for Pawtucket. I hope he does well in San Diego; he's certainly off to a good start!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Ciriaco---new lease on life!

I thought Ciriaco was treated fairly by the Red Sox. Bobby Valentine gave him an opportunity last year, and he performed quite well. In limited games with the Red Sox, it was apparent that Ciriaco just didn't have the same kind of production anymore. He couldn't even field. You don't keep a guy like Iglesias in the minor leagues in favor of a struggling backup infielder who can't hit or field.

That being said, I'm still a Ciriaco fan and wish him well in San Diego. He was one of the few bright spots to an otherwise dreadful 2012 season. I like his hustle, and of course, his Yankee killing. He did seem to rise to the occasion in big moments, even this year. I hope he sticks around in the majors for a few more years and enjoys a nice little career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

"Padres shortstop Pedro Ciriaco went 2-for-4 with a triple, a home run, three RBIs, two runs scored and a stolen base on Thursday vs. the Dodgers."

The young man was jerked around, here, not knowing whether he was on 3rd base or in a limo headed for Pawtucket. I hope he does well in San Diego; he's certainly off to a good start!

That's ridiculous. He was a utility player. He wasn't jerked around this year. He began the season as the UT. He fell out of favor because he didn't do the job this year.

And this year, he knew he wasn't headed to Pawtucket because he was out of options. Maybe if he didn't know "whether he was on 3rd base or in a limo headed to Pawtucket" he would have been better this year. Last year, when he had options, he was better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You see this a lot when a guy changes teams.  It's like they get a big adrenalin rush from the change.  Happened with Youk last year too, but he tailed off after a hot start, which is usually what happens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I agree with OP.

The RS never thought of him as anything BUT a utility infielder.  They never gave him a shot at full time SS.

I recall hearing the opinion on talk shows, by announcers as well as call-ins, that as good as he might be for stretches, he could "never" be a full-timer.  I always wondered why.  

Good for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I agree with OP.

The RS never thought of him as anything BUT a utility infielder.  They never gave him a shot at full time SS.

I recall hearing the opinion on talk shows, by announcers as well as call-ins, that as good as he might be for stretches, he could "never" be a full-timer.  I always wondered why.  

Good for him.

Pedro Ciriaco should revert to his utility infielder role when shortstop Everth Cabrera (3.6 WAR) and secondbaseman Jedd Gyorko (1.8 WAR) return from the disabled list to join thirdbaseman Chase Headley (1.8 WAR) in the San Diego lineup.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=29&rost=0&age=0

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I agree with OP.

Good for him.

The Red Sox never thought of him as anything but a UI.  The Pirates didn't even think that of him.  And the Padres will end up thinking of him as a UI as well.  Why?  Because that is what he is.  Don't take my word for it.  Look at his career numbers.  And, more to the point, look at his tenure with the Sox.  Last year was fun because he came onboard and immediately stepped up as a Yankee Killer.  Who didn't love Pedro?  But, even while everyone was all psyched about our newest Yankee Killer, his performance was declining as  the year went on, settling out at about what you would expect.  Glad he had a great night for his new club.  But, lets not make this about the Sox missing the boat on the guy.  He is what he is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

We'll see how he does over a full season, but it's funny to note that I recently had a year old "Ciriaco should be the starting SS for 2013" thread reserected by BurritoT as a shove it up my arzz post.

Ciriaco will be a very decent SS, or every day infielder for some minor market team.  Best thing that could happen for this kid.  He can definitely hit mlb pitching if given the chance day in & day out, over 150+ games.  He will be more than adequate on D.  NOT Great, but ok.

If given the chance, he will hit +.28O over 150 games, & be mid-pack on D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

You see this a lot when a guy changes teams.  It's like they get a big adrenalin rush from the change.  Happened with Youk last year too, but he tailed off after a hot start, which is usually what happens.

Really?!?  I did not know that.  Embarassed

-Eric Gagne

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Drew and Iglesias have a combined 6 hits tonight. I'll take that anyday.