Class. Who has it and who doesn't

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Class. Who has it and who doesn't

From today's online Globe:

"As Ryan Howard stepped on first base to finally end the game after an eventful ninth inning, Jonathan Papelbon turned toward the Red Sox dugout and wildly pumped his right fist twice.

It was not a celebration on par with dancing a jig on the Fenway Park infield clad in his underwear, but it was far more than is usually required for a game played in late May."

Can anyone imagine Mariano Rivera having done that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Class. Who has it and who doesn't

In response to S5's comment:

"As Ryan Howard stepped on first base to finally end the game after an eventful ninth inning, Jonathan Papelbon turned toward the Red Sox dugout and wildly pumped his right fist twice.

It was not a celebration on par with dancing a jig on the Fenway Park infield clad in his underwear, but it was far more than is usually required for a game played in late May."

No biggie.

I always went the extra mile to rub it with my brother, on the rare occasions that I beat him at something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

No one ever said Paps was smart or classy.  He is an excellent relief pitcher and a pretty dumb guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Let Papelbon enjoy this moment.  His team will not catch up with the Braves or Nationals anyway.   LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

can you imagine ice cream if papi was just a little bit more patient and got his fastball middle in and dropped it into the right field seats to put the sox up by 1? what a bummer man. it would have been THE clutch moment of this early season. I could see it happening with papi rounding the bases and paps standing on the mound with his head looking down towards the ground. oh well. get em back tonight I hope. paps got his little moment to rub it in to some of his still best friends in baseball. what a putz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Papelbon overdid it, but that's part of what makes him successful.  Give the devil his due.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

No one ever said Paps was smart or classy.  He is an excellent relief pitcher and a pretty dumb guy.

Thanks,  37.  That was pretty much my point.

I'm admittedly "old school".  I like and appreciate players like Mo and Mike Lowell who play(ed) the games "the right way", with respect for the game and opposing players and I have little to no patience with players whose goal it is to show other players up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Papelbon and class, should never be used in the same sentence.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

can you imagine ice cream if papi was just a little bit more patient and got his fastball middle in and dropped it into the right field seats to put the sox up by 1? what a bummer man. it would have been THE clutch moment of this early season. I could see it happening with papi rounding the bases and paps standing on the mound with his head looking down towards the ground. oh well. get em back tonight I hope. paps got his little moment to rub it in to some of his still best friends in baseball. what a putz.

Good morning Hammah29r2  Laughing

I was hoping for Ortiz to hit a homer and smile at Papelbon while rounding the bases.   LOL

As for Papelbon, he had his moment.  But the Red Sox get the last laugh because they are in first place while his Phillies are 5.5 games behind the Braves in the NL East and 7 games behind in the Wild Card standings.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Act like you've been there before comes to mind. Mo Rivera does that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I'm admittedly "old school".  I like and appreciate players like Mo and Mike Lowell who play(ed) the games "the right way", with respect for the game and opposing players and I have little to no patience with players whose goal it is to show other players up.

I am the same way. Act like you've been there before.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

normally I'm with that 100 % S5

but in this case I'm giving paps a pass

because he isn't a red sox anymore

because I think this was more about

busting friends than showing up the opponent

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

A Papi homer would have only tied the game; only Drew was on base at the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Different personalities, thats all. No, it was not a classy thing to do, but for an emotional guy like Papelbon its an understandable response. Not a big deal IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Different personalities, thats all. No, it was not a classy thing to do, but for an emotional guy like Papelbon its an understandable response. Not a big deal IMO.

Exactly.  Many vilified J.D. Drew for showing no emotion, then turn around and do the same for a guy like Papelbon when he does.  Can't have it both ways folks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think every Starter should do it when Striking out a guy, or just getting an out, why not just a Closer. Many people have been Traded, or moved on. Thats business, he made it personal.
    Too bad he never gets to bat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[quote]

Different personalities, thats all. No, it was not a classy thing to do, but for an emotional guy like Papelbon its an understandable response. Not a big deal IMO. [/quote]

Exactly.  Many vilified J.D. Drew for showing no emotion, then turn around and do the same for a guy like Papelbon when he does.  Can't have it both ways folks.

I don't care whether or not players show emotion. That doesn't mean I cant bust on someone for actling like an idiot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Two moderately overpaid players--probably neither will enter the H of F--the Sox chose to resign one and let the other walk. I think the Sox made the right choice because Ortiz probably would have signed with the Yankees and caused us many difficult games over two years.

What happened in the 9th-Pap got Ortiz--shows inches count--Ortiz came an inch from hitting it into the upper deck possibly chasing Pap from the game and a reminder of a not so fond memory of Baltimore 2011 which was also a games of inches--Crawford unable to come up with the line drive off  the bat of Andino allowing Reimold to score before Pap took his talents to Philly.

The Sox bats will hopefully be inspired tonight after Pap forgot the adage--"...act like you've been there before" and showed up his brothers with a bit of emotion maybe, maybe not called for.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sour grapes.  Don't be bitter. We have the classy Joel Hanrahan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sour grapes.  Don't be bitter. We have the classy Joel Hanrahan.

Thanks for reminding us.   Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

No sour grapes really. Just when an organization gives you your shot at Big's kind of nice to act like you have been there before. That would have shown me more that the Organization made the mistake.
    Baseball God's have a way of humbling people out.
    No more said about this from me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

wait....what?  cinco-ocho pumped his fist many a time after getting the final out in a red sox uniform.  now all of a sudden it is classless>?  please.  hypocrytical comes to mind.

as for whether he should still be on our team....game 3 playoff vs angels + 162nd game vs orioles = had to go bro.

change of scenery for both parties was required. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.