Clay vs Jacoby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Clay vs Jacoby

So last year Jacoby broke a few ribs.
    This year Clay has a stress fracture.

So will there be a lot of BS thrown at Clay for not playing through it like there was for Jacoby?
    I mean come on a few broken ribs versus a stress fracture. The stress fracture has got to be far less severe than BROKEN ribs.

STRESS vs BROKEN.

Come on RS fans you know he is just waiting and coming back just to get the big contract RIGHT.
    Come on RS Nation go throw him under the bus like you did Jacoby.Undecided

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: Clay vs Jacoby

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

My friend had a stress fracture once and he was back playing football the next day, I dont see what the big deal is here. Its just his back, its not like pitchers need those, its not like this is an arm injury or something. He should be on the field throwing by tomorrow at the latest. I wish these young kids werent such wusses, just step up and play through it. Its not like pain effects your delivery, or like we dont have things to fix pain, and the long term dammage would be small compared to what would have heppened if this were actually a broken back and he pitched through it, so really he should consider himself lucky and just get back out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

he'll be back in October.  it will be his Willis Reed moment.

//edit: though if he's limping that'll probably be a bad sign.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Clay vs Jacoby:
    [QUOTE]So last year Jacoby broke a few ribs. This year Clay has a stress fracture. So will there be a lot of BS thrown at Clay for not playing through it like there was for Jacoby? I mean come on a few broken ribs versus a stress fracture. The stress fracture has got to be far less severe than BROKEN ribs. STRESS vs BROKEN. Come on RS fans you know he is just waiting and coming back just to get the big contract RIGHT. Come on RS Nation go throw him under the bus like you did Jacoby.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

I'm happy for Ellsbury and the year he his having, but you're re-writing history a little bit.  For this to be a true parallel, you would have to have Bedard step in for Buch while battling a sports hernia.  Andrew Miller would be battling the exact same fracture (a la Hermida).  Beckett would be taking the mound in a foot cast.  Buch would be calling out the Sox medical staff in the media, and dictating when he would return to the big league club, despite blowing away hitters in his Pawtucket re-hab stint.  If he got knocked around in his first start, he would shut himself down for 2 more starts, and would announce the fact to reporters without consulting the team or medical staff.  

What rubbed me the wrong way with Ellsbury last year was that everybody was battling something, and Ellsbury was the only one who came across as putting his own interests ahead of the team's.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby:
    [QUOTE]My friend had a stress fracture once and he was back playing football the next day, I dont see what the big deal is here. Its just his back, its not like pitchers need those, its not like this is an arm injury or something. He should be on the field throwing by tomorrow at the latest. I wish these young kids werent such wusses, just step up and play through it. Its not like pain effects your delivery, or like we dont have things to fix pain, and the long term dammage would be small compared to what would have heppened if this were actually a broken back and he pitched through it, so really he should consider himself lucky and just get back out there.
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek.  Pitcher doesn't need his back?  If a pitcher cannot drive through his delivery (which is a heavy strain on the lower back, with the torque and the downward trajectory), even if he can pitch through the pain, he will get lit up.  guaranteed.  See:  Josh Beckett 2010 vs. Josh Beckett 2011.  Even if Clay pulled the old-school baller tough guy act and pitched through the pain, i am not sure I would want him out there serving up a steady diet of pitches up in the zone because he can't get enough drive to finish the pitches down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

A stress fracture in the back.  Okay.  Let's see.  I've had only a deep bone bruise in the back.  It was fine in day to day life, until I wanted to do something really really complicated, like carrying the groceries and walking, or putting chairs on the children's desks at the end of the day.  I imagine that an injury like that to the torso of a PITCHER, might screw up mechanics quite a bit.  So yeah Clay, let's hurry back or you're a wuss.  And when you blow up for 8 ER in back to back games, I sure some fans won't remember even so much as to why you needed to rest.  As long as you hurry back.  Because you know?  Last time they stubbed their toe, they dragged themself to work and their desk the next day, like the good soldiers that they are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

SMH 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]SMH 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Hugh, forgive my lack of cyber-acronym savvy.  What is SMH?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I think it will depend on whether the beat reporters try to drum up drama or not.  A carefully worded suggestion in print is oft mistaken for actual fact.  And many people find it easier to simply accept what appears to be fact rather than think things through.  

I will say this: though some fans and even some beat reporters gave up on Ells last year, the Sox didn't - which pretty much tells me that they probably know more about the business of baseball than the rabid fan or sport reporter. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby : I hope this is tongue-in-cheek.  Pitcher doesn't need his back?  If a pitcher cannot drive through his delivery (which is a heavy strain on the lower back, with the torque and the downward trajectory), even if he can pitch through the pain, he will get lit up.  guaranteed.  See:  Josh Beckett 2010 vs. Josh Beckett 2011.  Even if Clay pulled the old-school baller tough guy act and pitched through the pain, i am not sure I would want him out there serving up a steady diet of pitches up in the zone because he can't get enough drive to finish the pitches down.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Yeah 100% my man.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby : Hugh, forgive my lack of cyber-acronym savvy.  What is SMH?

I believe its Shake(ing) My Head

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby : I believe its Shake(ing) My Head
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks Wags ... and sorry for not picking up your ironic tone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from letsgosox33. Show letsgosox33's posts

If Clay follows Jacoby's route he should just go to Arizona and come back next year and win 25 games. Easy enough right?..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yes it is shaking my head.  Sorry I just learned that the other day myself....I originally thought it meant "so much hate" 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

To slomag: You post that "Ellsbury was the only one who came across as putting his own interests ahead of the team's" Really, based on what? Boston media crucified Ellsbury for going to Arizona and seeking a second opinion. Then we discovered that team doctors had misdiagnosed his injury and that he had 5 broken ribs as opposed to bruised ribs. Then he came back and reinjured himself and they pounced on him again. You spew the same line of garbage about Ellsbry's supposed selfishness but most Sox fans have come to understand that this guy has always played hard and given his best to the team. We are very lucky to have him playing for the Sox, but if he does take his talents elsewhere the Boston media and fans like you who thoughtlessly smeared him will be partially to blame.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]yes it is shaking my head.  Sorry I just learned that the other day myself....I originally thought it meant "so much hate" 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I just heard about a person who sent a condolence email to the immdediate family members of a deceased relative and signed off LOL, thinking it meant lots of love.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby : Ah, thanks Wags ... and sorry for not picking up your ironic tone.

No worries, I wasnt really clear enough in review I guess, esp given how hard people actually are on the players and hoe invincible fans think they are

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby : I just heard about a person who sent a condolence email to the immdediate family members of a deceased relative and signed off LOL, thinking it meant lots of love.

hahahaha ohhhh dear thats hilariously unfortunate

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE] To slomag: You post that "Ellsbury was the only one who came across as putting his own interests ahead of the team's" Really, based on what? Boston media crucified Ellsbury for going to Arizona and seeking a second opinion. Then we discovered that team doctors had misdiagnosed his injury and that he had 5 broken ribs as opposed to bruised ribs. Then he came back and reinjured himself and they pounced on him again. You spew the same line of garbage about Ellsbry's supposed selfishness but most Sox fans have come to understand that this guy has always played hard and given his best to the team. We are very lucky to have him playing for the Sox, but if he does take his talents elsewhere the Boston media and fans like you who thoughtlessly smeared him will be partially to blame.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

My comment was based on 

1) Pedroia taking ground balls with his foot in a cast
    2) Cameron playing through a Sports Hernia 
    3) Hermida playing with the exact same injury as Ellsbury
    4) Comments made by Ellsbury to the media about the Sox medical staff - e.g. airing dirty laundry.
    5) Ellsbury returning from the injury and setting his own time-table of return through the media, despite raking at Pawtucket, then shutting himself down (again through the media) when struggled in his first few major-league games.
    6) Comments made as recently as February about not necessarily being 100%.

Ellsbury is not going to sign a contract extension with the Sox.  It would have been done by now if he were thinking of offering any sort of home-town discount.  And the single biggest reason we have Crawford on the roster right now is because of the way Ellsbury held the Sox hostage in 2010.  My guess is he's gone this winter, and while he's a terrific player, I'm not going to shed any tears when he's gone.

Final thought - of the dozens of Sox players on the DL in 2010, only Ellsbury's injury resulted in this soap opera.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clay vs Jacoby : I hope this is tongue-in-cheek.  Pitcher doesn't need his back?  If a pitcher cannot drive through his delivery (which is a heavy strain on the lower back, with the torque and the downward trajectory), even if he can pitch through the pain, he will get lit up.  guaranteed.  See:  Josh Beckett 2010 vs. Josh Beckett 2011.  Even if Clay pulled the old-school baller tough guy act and pitched through the pain, i am not sure I would want him out there serving up a steady diet of pitches up in the zone because he can't get enough drive to finish the pitches down.

A pitcher's strength comes from his legs, not his back. Perhaps Clay needs to work on doing some squats.
    The way he finishes though, he puts a lot of torque on his spine. In fact, most pitcher's finish in a poor fielding position.
    Dice-k was by far the best at finishing in a good fielding position

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Both injuries were/are bonafide.  Buchholz and the Sox would be nuts to try to use him before he is completely healed.

Last year I was definitely on Ellsbury's side and thought he knew his own body better than the Sox did.  Despite what Youk said, I think Ellsbury was smart to do his rehab in Arizona and away from the team. 

Pedroia kept pushing the edge of the envelope last year in hopes of playing--before he was completely shut down.  Cameron also tried to play with that sports hernia.  Both were wrong. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

The author of the OP went fishing for the Ellsbury critics from last year and he found them. Sometimes it is better to let a sleeping dog lie. Why stir up a hornets nest.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Ells said what he said because he was angry at the Sox medical staff and the handling of his injury, it's that simple. Some revered Sox have been openly critical of the team's medical staff/FO/manager at times, including Mike Greenwell, Wade Boggs, Ted Williams of course, and many others, so this was much less of a big deal than people were making out to be last year. Lighten up, some of you. He's like Pedroia or Youk actually in that, when he's POed, he lets the world know it. I get the impression that the guy works very hard. He has more power now, bat speed, and a better eye at the plate, and he's still a speed demon. I'd be much more critical of Lackey. He whines like an infant, and then goes out and @#$% the bed almost every outing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Pitchers are an entirely different cup of tea. The slightiest injury, IE bruised toe, can lead to a subtle favoring and put more stress on pitching shoulder and/or elbow.

A position player to a pitcher is not a valid comparison. Compare Ellsbury to Big Ben, and scads of other micro-fractured rib cases.

I'll take Clay, under long term contract, over FA seeking Ellsbury.