Cleveland trades Choo to Reds

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Cleveland trades Choo to Reds

The Cleveland Indians have traded outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Drew Stubbs. The deal was announced Tuesday night.  He would have made a nice addition for the Sox at a cheap price.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Cleveland trades Choo to Reds

As a Sox fan Im glad to see him out of the AL, hes a pest. As a Reds fan Im not sure what I think yet. A leadoff hitter is what they need, he may be the answer, or not. I dont know. Not sure he was what the Sox need either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As a Sox fan Im glad to see him out of the AL, hes a pest. As a Reds fan Im not sure what I think yet. A leadoff hitter is what they need, he may be the answer, or not. I dont know. Not sure he was what the Sox need either.

[/QUOTE]

My thinking here is that this clears the way for the Indians to go after Swisher with a long term contract.  Swisher batted 2nd for the Yanks much of his stay there and he is a RF talent.  I agree with you that Choo may not be a good fit for the Reds since the only open field for them is CF it appears.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My thinking here is that this clears the way for the Indians to go after Swisher with a long term contract.  Swisher batted 2nd for the Yanks much of his stay there and he is a RF talent.  I agree with you that Choo may not be a good fit for the Reds since the only open field for them is CF it appears.

[/QUOTE]

My dad said the rumor was they were going to flip Choo over to Arizona for Dexter Fowler. If Cleveland goes for Swisher, Id like to see the Sox go after Hamilton.....maybe...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Choo has 1 year left, then a Bora$$ winter.

No thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo has 1 year left, then a Bora$$ winter.

No thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Thats why the Reds gave Drew Stubbs for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This was a three team trade. Lars Anderson ended up in Arizona in this trade, and Matt Albers in Cleveland....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

As I read more about the trade, the Reds are looking to Choo to play CF for them...should be interesting.  He is a good defender and should be OK in that small park.  His OBP is almost something like .380+ which is something the middle of the lineup needs...baserunners.  Even if they only get him for the 1 yr...they still didn't give up much and are making a push for the pot of gold now instead of later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

This was a three team trade. Lars Anderson ended up in Arizona in this trade, and Matt Albers in Cleveland....

[/QUOTE]

So how long before we start reading posts about how the acquisition of Anderson means the DBacks are clearly moving Goldschmidt, and that he could/should be had for Ciriaco if Arzona throws in a prospect or two...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So how long before we start reading posts about how the acquisition of Anderson means the DBacks are clearly moving Goldschmidt, and that he could/should be had for Ciriaco if Arzona throws in a prospect or two...

[/QUOTE]

Mere seconds...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

As I read more about the trade, the Reds are looking to Choo to play CF for them...should be interesting.  He is a good defender and should be OK in that small park.  His OBP is almost something like .380+ which is something the middle of the lineup needs...baserunners.  Even if they only get him for the 1 yr...they still didn't give up much and are making a push for the pot of gold now instead of later.

[/QUOTE]

Its a bridge year to phenom Billy Hamilton, who we will probably begin to see sometime next season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Cleveland did well in this deal as they also acquired potential ace Trevor Bauer

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cleveland did well in this deal as they also acquired potential ace Trevor Bauer

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw Bauers name and thought the Tribe got the best of this deal for sure. Reds get their 1yr CF'er, Tribe gets pitching and Zona gets a good SS prospect and some other pieces.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From a FanGraphs chat on Tuesday evening:

10:07 [ Comment From Brian Brian: ] All things considered, who should have more trade value: Choo or Ellsbury?

Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:07 Brian 10:08

Jeff Zimmerman: Choo for one year. You need him in the field for that year. Ells has more talent, but the health is a problem.

Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:08 Jeff Zimmerman 10:08

Chris Cwik: Choo is coming off the better year. Both players are free agents after this season. I think it's pretty even, but more teams prefer Choo for one season, I would think.

Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:08 Chris Cwik 10:09

Paul Swydan: Last five years, Choo has been more consistent. But he's also a year older. So it's a great question. With defense included, maybe Ellsbury. But I just have no idea how to project Ellsbury's bat at this point.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-after-dark-chat-121112/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

10:07 [ Comment From Brian Brian: ] All things considered, who should have more trade value: Choo or Ellsbury? Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:07 Brian 10:08 Jeff Zimmerman: Choo for one year. You need him in the field for that year. Ells has more talent, but the health is a problem. Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:08 Jeff Zimmerman 10:08 Chris Cwik: Choo is coming off the better year. Both players are free agents after this season. I think it's pretty even, but more teams prefer Choo for one season, I would think. Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:08 Chris Cwik 10:09 Paul Swydan: Last five years, Choo has been more consistent. But he's also a year older. So it's a great question. With defense included, maybe Ellsbury. But I just have no idea how to project Ellsbury's bat at this point. [/QUOTE]

I think the Reds might have preferred Ellsbury, but I dont think the teams' needs matched well enough to make the deal. The Sox need SP, and the Reds arent giving that up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

10:07 [ Comment From Brian Brian: ] All things considered, who should have more trade value: Choo or Ellsbury? Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:07 Brian 10:08 Jeff Zimmerman: Choo for one year. You need him in the field for that year. Ells has more talent, but the health is a problem. Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:08 Jeff Zimmerman 10:08 Chris Cwik: Choo is coming off the better year. Both players are free agents after this season. I think it's pretty even, but more teams prefer Choo for one season, I would think. Tuesday December 11, 2012 10:08 Chris Cwik 10:09 Paul Swydan: Last five years, Choo has been more consistent. But he's also a year older. So it's a great question. With defense included, maybe Ellsbury. But I just have no idea how to project Ellsbury's bat at this point. [/QUOTE]

I think the Reds might have preferred Ellsbury, but I dont think the teams' needs matched well enough to make the deal. The Sox need SP, and the Reds arent giving that up.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox didnt match up with KC either. Both KC and Cinci need pitching, or cant afford to give it up, like the Sox...If they can find a team that needs a CF/ leadoff hitter and can afford to give up some pitching, then were in business. If Ells gets traded it wont be until Jan/Feb IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Wow. Did "Traven" actually start a thread just to let us know that a player was traded by a team not named the Sox to another team not named the Sox and we should be upset about it because we didn't get him? I can just imagine this board filled with threads like this of every trade we weren't involved in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

If you read this board it is filled with trades not made by the Sox.  Check out 143 posts on the Royals/Rays trade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow. Did "Traven" actually start a thread just to let us know that a player was traded by a team not named the Sox to another team not named the Sox and we should be upset about it because we didn't get him? I can just imagine this board filled with threads like this of every trade we weren't involved in.

[/QUOTE]

Check out the Youk signing by Yanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Check out McCarthy to D-backs. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

If you read this board it is filled with trades not made by the Sox.  Check out 177 posts on the Royals/Rays trade.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was mine...Nothing wrong with informing fans of the Sox, and baseball in general, what moves are being made and discussing them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox didnt match up with KC either. Both KC and Cinci need pitching, or cant afford to give it up, like the Sox...If they can find a team that needs a CF/ leadoff hitter and can afford to give up some pitching, then were in business. If Ells gets traded it wont be until Jan/Feb IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, we are one of the few teams that can afford to trade pitching, because we are one of the very few teams that can afford to replenish and add to our staff via this over-priced FA season.

Not many teams can afford to spend so much and not go over the luxury tax limit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, we are one of the few teams that can afford to trade pitching, because we are one of the very few teams that can afford to replenish and add to our staff via this over-priced FA season.

Not many teams can afford to spend so much and not go over the luxury tax limit.

[/QUOTE]

I would think that with the Dodger signing, the rest of the FA pitchers should start to move pretty soon.  It does look like teams with money have the advantage right now and the Sox are definitely one of the front runners.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Choo is better than Victorino

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I think Choos was too young (thirty)  for Cherry's plan.... u have to be over 31 to qualify for an offer from the Sox.