C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!

I say go for it. You got the money honey, I got the mlbtv subscription. Henry can spend how many hundred million on a soccer team, but can't afford one or two top notch free agents this year? Get Pujols, Buhrle, Wilson, Bell, and Beltran! Then toss in Sizemore Lidge and Nathan as reclamation projects. Hey, what the heck, you only live once John........LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : Well said. As someone astutely stated already, the new GM has acquired two prospect choices in allowing Jon Papelbon to walk.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]
    THAT REMAINS TO BE SEEN....NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE NEW CONTRACT WITH THE PLAYERS WILL ALLOW!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He did do something....he wasted $6M on Scutaro, when our future SS was waiting in the wings.

That money probably would have paid more than half of Papi's salary for one year, or went toward acquiring a solid #3 starter.
    The FA list is a no-brainer. If you know who you want on it, make an offer and move forward. If you know who you want in a trade, make an offer and move on.
    RS management is so timid when it comes to negotiations. I say be aggressive! Pick a target and go secure it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]He did do something....he wasted $6M on Scutaro, when our future SS was waiting in the wings. That money probably would have paid more than half of Papi's salary for one year, or went toward acquiring a solid #3 starter. The FA list is a no-brainer. If you know who you want on it, make an offer and move forward. If you know who you want in a trade, make an offer and move on. RS management is so timid when it comes to negotiations. I say be aggressive! Pick a target and go secure it!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

You really gotta let that one go Ike.  Iglesias is not ready, and there isn't a baseball person alive, yourself excluded, that thinks bringing him up and throwing him into the fire would do anything to help his bat.  It would ruin him in fact.  Scutaro is an excellent stop-gap measure til the kid is ready.  In fact, that is the very reason they locked Scoot up for one more year.  Smart money if you ask me.  Not to mention, for all the crying about September, softness, and clubhouse losers, signing Marco Scutaro is good medicine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

The Cherington "era" has moved beyond "new and interesting" into scary territory.Im SOOO sorry to "cry" BUT fact is, no promising material to focus on so far. I wont be shocked when Larry is named field manager/ senior business manager and veto power over all oxygen in boston... also loss leader?...

UGH, lord, please help US (Red Sox fan since 1964) !!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RED SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The Cherington "era" has moved beyond "new and interesting" into scary territory.Im SOOO sorry to "cry" BUT fact is, no promising material to focus on so far. I wont be shocked when Larry is named field manager/ senior business manager and veto power over all oxygen in boston... also loss leader?... UGH, lord, please help US (Red Sox fan since 1964) !!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RED SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

This is getting alittle tiring to ask, but, since you are in scary territory because there is no promising material to focus on:  for what its worth, what is the promising material you would like to ... materialize?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : You really gotta let that one go Ike.  Iglesias is not ready, and there isn't a baseball person alive, yourself excluded, that thinks bringing him up and throwing him into the fire would do anything to help his bat.  It would ruin him in fact.  Scutaro is an excellent stop-gap measure til the kid is ready.  In fact, that is the very reason they locked Scoot up for one more year.  Smart money if you ask me.  Not to mention, for all the crying about September, softness, and clubhouse losers, signing Marco Scutaro is good medicine.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

With all due respect Spaceman, how do you, and everyone else, know he's not ready? Does he say he's not ready? Maybe he'll never be anything but a .250 hitting SS, but we will never know as long as we keep saying he's not ready.
    Maury Wills was a light hitting SS, as was Ozzie Smith.
    If he hits .230 in AAA next year, will he be ready?
    I would much rather have the defense, than someone who hits 30 points higher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : With all due respect Spaceman, how do you, and everyone else, know he's not ready? Does he say he's not ready? Maybe he'll never be anything but a .250 hitting SS, but we will never know as long as we keep saying he's not ready. Maury Wills was a light hitting SS, as was Ozzie Smith. If he hits .230 in AAA next year, will he be ready? I would much rather have the defense, than someone who hits 30 points higher.

I don't care if he hits .300.  I don't care if he hits .270.  And i would be perfectly happy if he hits .250.  But, with my Admittedly amateur but still experienced eyes, if he broke camp with teh big club, I don't see him approaching mendoza with all the holes in his swing and lack of pitch knowledge and experience.  And, the point that I think is at the crux of my disagreement with you over him is that he is not going to learn these things trying to do it in the majors.  he will get eaten alive.  Thats not healthy for his development.  Its not like Dusty struggling for his first month in th emajors.  He had already dominated at the college level and then absolutely feasted on minor league pitching.  He had proven that he was ready.  HE was a case of just needing some time to adapt to the Show.  Tito knew that, so he gave him that time.  Please don't misubnderstand me.  I am absolutely fine with having Mark Belanger on the team.  But, Iglesias is not there yet.  And, if he hits .230 at Pawtucket next year, no, he may not be ready for 2013.  So what?  He has had 2 years of pro ball under his belt and he still a total spring chicken.  I am not sure why you feel in such a rush to get him up.  If you think his glove in 2012 would make up for hitting Mendoza-area, I think you are wrong.  Not in this division.  You just can't have a black hole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : With all due respect Spaceman, how do you, and everyone else, know he's not ready? Does he say he's not ready? Maybe he'll never be anything but a .250 hitting SS, but we will never know as long as we keep saying he's not ready. Maury Wills was a light hitting SS, as was Ozzie Smith. If he hits .230 in AAA next year, will he be ready? I would much rather have the defense, than someone who hits 30 points higher.

You're assuming that he hits better at the MLB level than he does in the minors.  That might be the case, but it's a dangerous assumption.  Let him hit .250 at Pawtucket before you bring him to Boston.  Right now you're giving up 65 points, and 227 OPS Points!

The Sox would have owed Scutaro $1.5M if they did not pick up his option, so they really only spent $4.5M on him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : I don't care if he hits .300.  I don't care if he hits .270.  And i would be perfectly happy if he hits .250.  But, with my Admittedly amateur but still experienced eyes, if he broke camp with teh big club, I don't see him approaching mendoza with all the holes in his swing and lack of pitch knowledge and experience.  And, the point that I think is at the crux of my disagreement with you over him is that he is not going to learn these things trying to do it in the majors.  he will get eaten alive.  Thats not healthy for his development.  Its not like Dusty struggling for his first month in th emajors.  He had already dominated at the college level and then absolutely feasted on minor league pitching.  He had proven that he was ready.  HE was a case of just needing some time to adapt to the Show.  Tito knew that, so he gave him that time.  Please don't misubnderstand me.  I am absolutely fine with having Mark Belanger on the team.  But, Iglesias is not there yet.  And, if he hits .230 at Pawtucket next year, no, he may not be ready for 2013.  So what?  He has had 2 years of pro ball under his belt and he still a total spring chicken.  I am not sure why you feel in such a rush to get him up.  If you think his glove in 2012 would make up for hitting Mendoza-area, I think you are wrong.  Not in this division.  You just can't have a black hole.

I just feel the organization always seems reluctant to bring up the future. I think they waited far too long to bring Buchholz along.
    IMO, if the hitting coach is worth his salt, he should be able to help the youngster through the rough patches.
    Who knows, he may prove you wrong in ST next year but I think his character and demeanor will have much to do with it as well. At any rate, I wouldn't mind seeing up with the club even if it's in a back-up role, so he can get some exposure. He does have a .333 lifetime avg so far ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : I just feel the organization always seems reluctant to bring up the future. I think they waited far too long to bring Buchholz along. IMO, if the hitting coach is worth his salt, he should be able to help the youngster through the rough patches. Who knows, he may prove you wrong in ST next year but I think his character and demeanor will have much to do with it as well. At any rate, I wouldn't mind seeing up with the club even if it's in a back-up role, so he can get some exposure. He does have a .333 lifetime avg so far ;)

Fair enough Ike.  We'll agree to disagree, and I shan't bring it up again.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

we should just form camps of Cherington apologists and Cherington haters now

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]we should just form camps of Cherington apologists and Cherington haters now
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

haha.  no doubt hugh.  I will make sure to wear my pink hat when we choose up sides.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]we should just form camps of Cherington apologists and Cherington haters now
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

...and those who like to label others? Are you readying yourself for a bi-partisan election?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The forum will not change at all with Theo being gone. The closet trolls will come out vs Cherington as they did with Theo. Forums survive on confrontation and arguement over minutia. Expect more of the same. Isn't that why 90% of the posters come here?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.  It will be interesting to see how he does though, I will hold judgement for a while,  the F.A. market isn't that great this year so it's kinda hard to expect him to make some huge great signing.  Looking ahead I think it will also be interesting to see what he does at the trade deadline in 2012 (assuming we are in the race, which we should be).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: C'MON CHERINGTON, DO SOMETHING!! : You really gotta let that one go Ike.  Iglesias is not ready, and there isn't a baseball person alive, yourself excluded, that thinks bringing him up and throwing him into the fire would do anything to help his bat.  It would ruin him in fact.  Scutaro is an excellent stop-gap measure til the kid is ready.  In fact, that is the very reason they locked Scoot up for one more year.  Smart money if you ask me.  Not to mention, for all the crying about September, softness, and clubhouse losers, signing Marco Scutaro is good medicine.
    YES, I AGREE!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Still early in the game.

Papelbon's gifts were declining, IMO.  Onlly time will tell if it was a mistake to let him go.  But 4 yrs at $50 mil?  Whhaaaa????  Uh, uh.

Just as time told us that signing Lackey was an error, just that it took no time at all to determine that one!

Patience and fortitude.  Keep the faith. 

Oh, and lay off the Popeye's and beer.