C'mon, FO. Make a decision!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

C'mon, FO. Make a decision!

Now is the time for the FO to take some brave steps.  Now is the time they need to decide whether they’re going to try to win it in 2013 or if they’re going to consider it to be a bridge year.  I’ve often thought that the Sox are the bridesmaid too frequently because they try to be the best every year rather than plan for the future.  This team needs a strategy.  The FO needs to make a decision, and that decision is whether to consider 2013 a bridge year or to go all-out to win.

(And I apologize for the change in font. It was composed in word because editing is easier, then cut and pasted here).

Here’s what they have to do if they’re going to go all-out to win it in 2013.

Sign a real 1B like LaRoche.  One thing this team now lacks is a good hitter at 1B.  If they can’t get Laroche, sign Napoli to catch 40 games/year and play 1B, and release one of the catchers. 

Tell Iggy that he’s the SS and the job is his to lose, but if he doesn’t hit .220 he’s going to lose it.  Then give him every opportunity to get AB’s against ML pitching.  He’s always learned how to hit (.220) at the level he’s moved up to.  It just takes him a while.  If he’s not looking like the SS of the future by the trade deadline then move him.  Either trade for a SS for the remainder of the year or let Ciriaco play SS for the last half of the year and explore trades and the FA market after the season for a SS.  Or maybe it’s Ciriaco, depending on how he does during the 2nd half.  No matter what, keep Ciriaco.  If Iggy plays well Ciriaco is the UIF.

I know this isn’t a good strategy for trying to win it all in 2013 but there are no outstanding SS’s in the organization so we should go with what we’ve got.  Either of those two will get the job done defensively.  What the team needs is a good hitting SS who’s also a good fielder.  But what team doesn’t need that?

Sign Ross to play LF. 

Don’t try to extend Ellsbury.  Instead try to win it with him this year then let him go as a FA at the end of the season.  Worry about CF after this year anticipating JBJ’s being ready to play.

Sign Torii Hunter to a two year contract to play RF.  This team needs his “Senior leadership” and sometimes you accept the fact that you’re paying for a later year of limited production to get someone who can contribute NOW.  See:  ARod. 

Kalish, Nava and Sweeney are all in the mix for the 4th OF  job

Sign the best two pitchers who’ll sign for three years or less.

If they’re going to consider 2013 to be a bridge year:

Tell Bogarts that he’s now playing 1B and send him to Portland/Pawtucket to learn how to do it.  That position is low on the defensive spectrum so if he can play SS he can certainly play 1B.  I’d rather have a GG there but I want his bat in the lineup in 2014.  In the meantime sign someone on the downside of his career but with good defensive skills (Youk?) to a one year contract to play 1st.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

See above about SS.  The same thing applies.  If Iggy leaves move Ciriaco in and get someone off the scrap heap to be the UIF.  Then look for a FA or trades for a SS after the season.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

Make every effort to sign Ellsbury to as short a contract as you can get him to take, but sign him.  Yes, expensive, but this team can now afford one (or two?) marquee players and Ells is a known quantity.  Move JBJ to one of the corner OF positions in Pawtucket or Portland. 

Look through the FA market and see what’s available for corner OF’s, keeping in mind that if there’s someone young who’s available and can be signed the signing can be a multi-year contract.  If there’s not someone like that then sign what you can get and explore trades/FA after 2013.  Keep  Nava, Sweeney, and Kalish in the mix too and see who floats to the top.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

Pitching has become a crap-shoot and the Sox may have to pay (through the nose) for a good one.  But if they do, they do.  I can see a starting rotation of – not in any particular order – 1 FA, Lester, Buch, Lackey, Dubront, and Tazawa. 

And if you think SP is a crap shoot,  BP pitching is worse.  Miller, Bard, Aceves and Bailey all stay. Those who perform well stay and those who don’t get left by the wayside and look for BP arms after 2013.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: C'mon, FO. Make a decision!

S5...maybe you should read this article that came out today on BDC...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2012/11/09/red-sox-need-win-all-seasons/EjCEqG6dk0VKOFt1jOrGiP/story.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The most apealing thing to your thread was the font.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

To respond to the Headline of this topic...

Please realize that free agency/trades and any play acquisitions is a two-sided coin...the Sox may want player X but if that player's agent wants to continue shopping him then the decision is on the player, not the FO.

This applies to trades as well, the other GM has to agree with the proposal for players to move.

The only way to rush things is to drastically OVERPAY...no need to do that since games that mean anything don't start until April 2013.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Please realize that free agency/trades and any play acquisitions is a two-sided coin...the Sox may want player X but if that player's agent wants to continue shopping him then the decision is on the player, not the FO.

This applies to trades as well, the other GM has to agree with the proposal for players to move.

The only way to rush things is to drastically OVERPAY...no need to do that since games that mean anything don't start until April 2013.

It's pretty hard to argue with anything there, especially the part about trades being a two-sided agreement.  That's why I stayed away from specific trades and instead focused on what the team currently has and how to improve it.

As a rule I'm leery of prospects in that they're exactly that... prospects.  And I'm doubly leery of someone else's prospects.  That's why I like promoting from within when possible, and when it's not possible I'd go the FA route, but with some care.  Many years ago when Free Agency was in it's infancy Bill James said that free agency would be a good thing for teams with a specific hole to fill but trying to build a team of FA's would be a mistake.  And I know the Y's have had some success with that, but they've had some failures too. 

"Overpaying" is an interesting phenomenon.  Everyone grumbles when a player is getting a lot of money but doesn't produce - a mistake by the FO.  But nobody grumbles when a player who's getting the league minimum produces above what's expected. 
    The problem with the "overpaying" argument is that nobody knows what a player was worth until the season's over, and then it's too late. 

Most FA's are either at their prime when a deal is made (which means they're going downhill from there) or they're already on that downhill slide and getting paid for past production for another team.  I believe that the longer a contract term is the worse it's going to be for the ownership.  That's why I'd stay away from longer term contracts UNLESS it's the only way to get someone you need NOW and you're willing to suck it up for the last few years of the contract. 

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

nice read S5

'' Tell Bogarts that he’s now playing 1B and send him to Portland/Pawtucket to learn how to do it. ''

very interesting

[/QUOTE]

I have very little respect for the defensive capabilities of the average 1st baseman but HUGE respect for the good ones.  A good first baseman makes everyone in the entire infield look better by strectching out and scooping throws in the dirt.  He also lets the IF's know that they don't have to make a perfect throw - that guy on the other end is going to get to the ball.  Guys like Youk and Agon and Howard are a luxury in that they're good defensively AND they can hit - or at least Youk did in his prime.

I belive that anyone who can play any of the other IF positions (but most especially 3rd) can play first adequately.  The question is how well can they play.  In Bogart's case he's a proven he can hit in AA and has the tools necessary to hit at any level.  I'll give up a little on D (if necessary)  to have a guy there who can hit.  I also think if you take a player with Bogart's skills and teach him to play 1st he'll be better than adequate AND have a good bat.  I can live with that. 
    And yes, I've seen him play. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

You stoped me from saying the same thing.It goes both ways and posters think only one way.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You stoped me from saying the same thing.It goes both ways and posters think only one way.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It seems a lot of posters dont want to part with enough to get what they want. You have to be realistic and put yourself in the other teams shoes. What are their needs, would they even trade the person suggested, and dont overvalue our "kids" would be a good starting point...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

What I meant by OVERPAY is the Sox FO agreeing to an agents terms without negotiating them down...I think that is what happened with Crawford and Lackey...the Sox jumped in and paid the agents price.

To get the best potential bang for your buck a GM must remain patient and diligent, by letting the market play itself out...although sometimes the agents don't cooperate... sometimes the agent forces a team's hand by asking for their best offer, the Sox FO would then set a specific value for that player as their offer, if some other team exceeds it then that's likely where the player ends up going.

An agent usually doesn't allow teams to drag out the process, unless he feels that he can play one team against the other...i.e. Yankees vs Sox and Mark Texeira might be a good example of that.

This whole process is why things drag on sometimes...but there are cases where the player targets a team or city, and if he gets a fair offer will sign regardless of other teams offers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Signing Free agents is like buying a car in some ways.  And in some ways it's not.

You know when you walk onto the lot and you see this nice, shiny red covertable there?  Just what you've been looking for?  And you fall in love with it.  Now you've GOT to have it.  The salesman gives you a price and while you think it's a little high.... you've GOT to have it.  So you ignore the fact that it's a few thousand dollars more than you wanted to pay for a car, but... this one is HERE... and you may NEVER find one like it again.... so you swallow hard and pony up the cash forgetting that they made thousands of them that year. 

That's the way it was with Carl Crawford.  The FO saw him and he was exactly what they wanted so they ponied up the money for him.  The difference is that there's only ONE Carl Crawford and they know it so their bargaining power is less.  The GM also knows that if they try to wait for the market to play out and  don't come up with the money for this guy there's someone standing right behind them who might.... and they lose that "car" they so desperately want. 

Any negotiations is a game of "chicken", finding out who's going to blink first.  While I certainly would not support collusion amongst the owners I would support some fiscal restraint - something fewer and fewer teams are demonstrating now. More than anything it's probably an indication of exactly how much money there is in baseball right now.  More than most of us can imagine.

And zac... I thought about it but decided not to.  I have a standing rule.  No props to a Yankee (who's not named Mariano Rivera)! :-))

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Signing Free agents is like buying a car in some ways.  And in some ways it's not.

You know when you walk onto the lot and you see this nice, shiny red covertable there?  Just what you've been looking for?  And you fall in love with it.  Now you've GOT to have it.  The salesman gives you a price and while you think it's a little high.... you've GOT to have it.  So you ignore the fact that it's a few thousand dollars more than you wanted to pay for a car, but... this one is HERE... and you may NEVER find one like it again.... so you swallow hard and pony up the cash forgetting that they made thousands of them that year. 

That's the way it was with Carl Crawford.  The FO saw him and he was exactly what they wanted so they ponied up the money for him.  The difference is that there's only ONE Carl Crawford and they know it so their bargaining power is less.  The GM also knows that if they try to wait for the market to play out and  don't come up with the money for this guy there's someone standing right behind them who might.... and they lose that "car" they so desperately want. 

Any negotiations is a game of "chicken", finding out who's going to blink first.  While I certainly would not support collusion amongst the owners I would support some fiscal restraint - something fewer and fewer teams are demonstrating now. More than anything it's probably an indication of exactly how much money there is in baseball right now.  More than most of us can imagine.

And zac... I thought about it but decided not to.  I have a standing rule.  No props to a Yankee (who's not named Mariano Rivera)! :-))

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox now have a lot of money to spend from the trade of Gonzo, Carl, the tough Texan and that other non-descript.  Time is not on our side because of our miserable record this year.  We need to act, be proactive and get a jump on the rest of the competition.  The AL East is a real crapshoot next year and no way is Baltimore going to win all those close games with that pop gun attack of theirs.  The Yankees look to be getting old, Tampa Bay can't hit and Toronto is Toronto.  We could make a nice recovery next season if our GM moves his a@s on this.  He is too slow,  too tentative, too risk averse and way too scared of his lack of confidence from what I've seen of the guy.  Boy I hope I'm wrong and that he can finally  get his rear in gear.  It is time to start signing players.  If we have to pay a little more, then pay it.  We have the money now.  As long as we don't hand out contracts like the ones we gave CC and Gonzo we will be ok.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox now have a lot of money to spend from the trade of Gonzo, Carl, the tough Texan and that other non-descript.  Time is not on our side because of our miserable record this year.  We need to act, be proactive and get a jump on the rest of the competition.  The AL East is a real crapshoot next year and no way is Baltimore going to win all those close games with that pop gun attack of theirs.  The Yankees look to be getting old, Tampa Bay can't hit and Toronto is Toronto.  We could make a nice recovery next season if our GM moves his a@s on this.  He is too slow,  too tentative, too risk averse and way too scared of his lack of confidence from what I've seen of the guy.  Boy I hope I'm wrong and that he can finally  get his rear in gear.  It is time to start signing players.  If we have to pay a little more, then pay it.  We have the money now.  As long as we don't hand out contracts like the ones we gave CC and Gonzo we will be ok.

[/QUOTE]

you have no understanding of how FA works... its not a process that usually happens overnight. neither are trades.

patience is a virtue

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Guys like Youk and Agon and Howard are a luxury in that they're good defensively AND they can hit - or at least Youk did in his prime.

Howard is probably the worst fielding 1B in BB.

Past that, I can't take seriously any suggestion to convert a SS to a 1B.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why not JB

if soxprospects thinks he will end up being a 3B or LF

why can't there be a conversation about moving him to 1B

[/QUOTE]

because that may be a waste of his athleticism. but if him playing 1st will get him to the majors faster and lessen the chance for injury then i'm game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why not JB

[/QUOTE]

because that may be a waste of his athleticism. but if him playing 1st will get him to the majors faster and lessen the chance for injury then i'm game.

[/QUOTE]

I say Xander would make a better LF'er. Cecchini is a solid defender at 3b and could probably convert to 1b a lot easier...Hes like Mauer in that hes a high OBP and AVG guy but hasnt showed a lot of power to hit HR's. Hes currently blocked at 3b by WMB. This would get all 3 into the lineup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why not JB

[/QUOTE]

You lose their defensvie value.  You move a SS to 3B or CF if they can't field SS.  You don't move them to 1st.  I'm not dismissing the value of fielding at 1st, but that's where you put your range-challenged fielders like Youk, Gonzo and Tex.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Rather than have this, what I think is lame debate, just ask this question...how many top prospect SS have been converted to 1B in major league history...can you name even 3?

It goes without saying that SS are usually the best athlete on a team...so putting them at 1B with all that talent would seem ludicrous. I know I am type-casting, but most 1B are the big boned, power hitting types without much speed or range. It doesn't mean they are not good athletes, but you just don't want them playing in positions that require mobility.

Interestingly, the 1st former SS to move to 1B could be AROD...although I haven't heard that being discussed anywhere yet.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Now is the time for the FO to take some brave steps.  Now is the time they need to decide whether they’re going to try to win it in 2013 or if they’re going to consider it to be a bridge year.  I’ve often thought that the Sox are the bridesmaid too frequently because they try to be the best every year rather than plan for the future.  This team needs a strategy.  The FO needs to make a decision, and that decision is whether to consider 2013 a bridge year or to go all-out to win.

(And I apologize for the change in font. It was composed in word because editing is easier, then cut and pasted here).

Here’s what they have to do if they’re going to go all-out to win it in 2013.

Sign a real 1B like LaRoche.  One thing this team now lacks is a good hitter at 1B.  If they can’t get Laroche, sign Napoli to catch 40 games/year and play 1B, and release one of the catchers. 

Tell Iggy that he’s the SS and the job is his to lose, but if he doesn’t hit .220 he’s going to lose it.  Then give him every opportunity to get AB’s against ML pitching.  He’s always learned how to hit (.220) at the level he’s moved up to.  It just takes him a while.  If he’s not looking like the SS of the future by the trade deadline then move him.  Either trade for a SS for the remainder of the year or let Ciriaco play SS for the last half of the year and explore trades and the FA market after the season for a SS.  Or maybe it’s Ciriaco, depending on how he does during the 2nd half.  No matter what, keep Ciriaco.  If Iggy plays well Ciriaco is the UIF.

I know this isn’t a good strategy for trying to win it all in 2013 but there are no outstanding SS’s in the organization so we should go with what we’ve got.  Either of those two will get the job done defensively.  What the team needs is a good hitting SS who’s also a good fielder.  But what team doesn’t need that?

Sign Ross to play LF. 

Don’t try to extend Ellsbury.  Instead try to win it with him this year then let him go as a FA at the end of the season.  Worry about CF after this year anticipating JBJ’s being ready to play.

Sign Torii Hunter to a two year contract to play RF.  This team needs his “Senior leadership” and sometimes you accept the fact that you’re paying for a later year of limited production to get someone who can contribute NOW.  See:  ARod. 

Kalish, Nava and Sweeney are all in the mix for the 4th OF  job

Sign the best two pitchers who’ll sign for three years or less.

If they’re going to consider 2013 to be a bridge year:

Tell Bogarts that he’s now playing 1B and send him to Portland/Pawtucket to learn how to do it.  That position is low on the defensive spectrum so if he can play SS he can certainly play 1B.  I’d rather have a GG there but I want his bat in the lineup in 2014.  In the meantime sign someone on the downside of his career but with good defensive skills (Youk?) to a one year contract to play 1st.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

See above about SS.  The same thing applies.  If Iggy leaves move Ciriaco in and get someone off the scrap heap to be the UIF.  Then look for a FA or trades for a SS after the season.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

Make every effort to sign Ellsbury to as short a contract as you can get him to take, but sign him.  Yes, expensive, but this team can now afford one (or two?) marquee players and Ells is a known quantity.  Move JBJ to one of the corner OF positions in Pawtucket or Portland. 

Look through the FA market and see what’s available for corner OF’s, keeping in mind that if there’s someone young who’s available and can be signed the signing can be a multi-year contract.  If there’s not someone like that then sign what you can get and explore trades/FA after 2013.  Keep  Nava, Sweeney, and Kalish in the mix too and see who floats to the top.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

Pitching has become a crap-shoot and the Sox may have to pay (through the nose) for a good one.  But if they do, they do.  I can see a starting rotation of – not in any particular order – 1 FA, Lester, Buch, Lackey, Dubront, and Tazawa. 

And if you think SP is a crap shoot,  BP pitching is worse.  Miller, Bard, Aceves and Bailey all stay. Those who perform well stay and those who don’t get left by the wayside and look for BP arms after 2013.  It’s a bridge year, remember?

[/QUOTE]

Napoli, Salty and Iggy in the same lineup won't win games for us on a daily basis without help.  We need to improve our OBP period and none of these guys are every day players.  Ross was a good move because I think hes a better all round catcher than Salty but to sign Salty long term would be another bad move.

Salty may have some of Teks traits but will never be as productive.  Tek was still better than Salty when he retired which should tell our FO this guy is not our long term solution if he has yet another season without improvement at the plate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I have NP with you and JB thinking it's a bad idea

but I disagree with you guys calling it a lame idea / discussion

especially if you consider all the other stuff on this board

I said I couldn't take the suggestion seriously.  since this may have never happened in the history of BB, then I will continue not to treat this seriously.  Where did Mickey Mantle go after he grew out of SS?  Carl Yaz?  ARod?  Hanley?  Bobby Murcer.

Playing SS assumes you have speed and an arm.  Why waste 2 of your attributes?  It's like converting a point guard to center because he is a good rebounder.  Or converting Marcus Allen to tackle because he can block, and losing the running and pass receiving.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we need a pitcher...first and foremost...we have no 1 or 2...a lot of 4s

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

I have NP with you and JB thinking it's a bad idea

but I disagree with you guys calling it a lame idea / discussion

especially if you consider all the other stuff on this board

I said I couldn't take the suggestion seriously.  since this may have never happened in the history of BB, then I will continue not to treat this seriously.  Where did Mickey Mantle go after he grew out of SS?  Carl Yaz?  ARod?  Hanley?  Bobby Murcer.

Playing SS assumes you have speed and an arm.  Why waste 2 of your attributes?  It's like converting a point guard to center because he is a good rebounder.  Or converting Marcus Allen to tackle because he can block, and losing the running and pass receiving.

[/QUOTE]

in a vacuum that is correct but ponder this scenario, with 3rd seemingly locked up for years to come and the possibility of the OF filled up for years to come (ells, JBJ, brentz) if xander grows out of SS where do you put him? if 1st is the only place open are you going to let the kid toil in AAA just because no SS prospect has ever moved to 1st? or would you move him to 3rd and make middlebrooks jump to 1st...