CODY ROSS signs at a reasonable 3 years, $26m... SERIOUSLY, how could BC miss on this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: CODY ROSS signs at a reasonable 3 years, $26m... SERIOUSLY, how could BC miss on this?

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

gee sox, how come you left out rbis? 47 v 81?????

pathetic......a 500% raise???? LOLOLOLOL

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Gomes is the first guy I've ever heard of who had a nice year and got a big raise...no other major league GM's are giving out big raises this offseason...Ben is the only one LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: CODY ROSS signs at a reasonable 3 years, $26m... SERIOUSLY, how could BC miss on this?

with RBI you rely on others being on base. Depends on how many situations JG came to bat with runners in scoring position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is what u call a layup, low hanging fruit... diamondbacks are so much better run than we are right now. should have signed him and auctioned out a jacoby. you have a guy built for your team, adjusted to bv.. in fact bv immediately texted him on his new deal. tells me he can flow with anyone.. yet with a farrell coming in and all these guys you ignore the one guy who should be indispensable in keeping a clubhouse together? just dumb! i just dont get BC!

[/QUOTE]

What you like and what Red Sox like is two different things .. They did not want him and did not feel we was worth his asking price.... It's about sox not about what you want . Can you clearly understand??????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its called a mistake..and Ben makes a lot of them...enjoy 4th place again

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

GREAT JOB bEN! keep up the steller work...is there anyone you can reacquire lillibridge....i know you worked hard on getting him last year...it meant so much to the team....that would be the best Boxing day gift for Red Sox nation!

-thanks

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK so with about 200 more ABs than Gomes I would expect the RBIs to be much greater...but I also expected to see a 2 to 1 ratio on HRs as well...and since their BAs were so similar...3/$26 seems the really pathetic number here...not the 500% raise you like to lean on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I should level set my opinion on Gomes a little...I only expect him to fill a platoon role with the Sox in LF in 2013 and to me a 2/$10m deal is NOTHING to pay for a guy to bring some right handed pop to the line-up...

...so regarding Ross...he is also a borderline platoon player and not worthy of a $26million deal, IMO. Yeah, he hit a couple of nice eye catching HRs last year, but his numbers were not that great overall.

Me thinks people are placing to much emphasis on just an average role player who just hit the jackpot in Arizona when everyone else was likely maxing him out at 2 years, including the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I should level set my opinion on Gomes a little...I only expect him to fill a platoon role with the Sox in LF in 2013 and to me a 2/$10m deal is NOTHING to pay for a guy to bring some right handed pop to the line-up...

...so regarding Ross...he is also a borderline platoon player and not worthy of a $26million deal, IMO. Yeah, he hit a couple of nice eye catching HRs last year, but his numbers were not that great overall.

Me thinks people are placing to much emphasis on just an average role player who just hit the jackpot in Arizona when everyone else was likely maxing him out at 2 years, including the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

Theres not much difference in the two players, except pricetag. People liked Ross. Hes an easy guy to like. My guess is after Gomes gets here, blasts a couple moon shots over the monster and his "idiot" attitude shows, people will like him just as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this is what u call a layup, low hanging fruit... diamondbacks are so much better run than we are right now. should have signed him and auctioned out a jacoby. you have a guy built for your team, adjusted to bv.. in fact bv immediately texted him on his new deal. tells me he can flow with anyone.. yet with a farrell coming in and all these guys you ignore the one guy who should be indispensable in keeping a clubhouse together? just dumb! i just dont get BC!

[/QUOTE]

Ross, imo, is worst signing of the winter so far.  Road OPS over the last three years is one of the worst in BB for a LF.  Poor fielder.  Doesn't hit righties much.  Had a .707 in his last 65 games.  The 129 Ks projects to about 163 over 600 ABs if he were a fulltime player.

[/QUOTE]

which player last year had the most game winning clutch hits throughout the season? i recall it being Ross....this is why all these stats are a joke - scutaro is a world series champ and mvp of the pennant and you lickers are still quoting bill james like it means anything...if you think the worth of players like ross and scutaro are best explained by stats, you know very little about competitive sports and the intangibles that make teams successful...by the way youre on .....you predict the sox will be over .500, correct?

[/QUOTE]

He was 51-75 in starts.  Our record without Ross starting was 23-13.  .768 in late & close, .718 in the 9th, 0-7 in extra innings.

[/QUOTE]

i didnt realize cody was pitching those games.....i assumed that he actually WON more games for the Sox than he lost....silly me

[/QUOTE]

You seriously thought Ross had a winning record with the RS last year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK so with about 200 more ABs than Gomes I would expect the RBIs to be much greater...but I also expected to see a 2 to 1 ratio on HRs as well...and since their BAs were so similar...3/$26 seems the really pathetic number here...not the 500% raise you like to lean on.

[/QUOTE]

Geo no understand new-fangled noombers.

Ross batter with 341 men on base.  Gomes batter with 209.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

drew + gomes = 3 years  20 million

i think cody was a better deal even at 8 mil a year for those three years....but Ben never met a mediocre player that he didnt like to sign...but after he signed Gomes, it made no sense to sign ross

[/QUOTE]

Cody Ross and Johnny Gomes are essentially the same player. They both mash LH pitching and neither one of them is much of a fielder.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong-O. Ross hits 30 points higher than Gomes vs RHP (.253 vs .212). In fact, Ross hass more career HRs off RHP than LHP. And he is a much better defender. Ross has a career +14 Rdrs, Gomes is -50.

To say that they are essentially the same is ludicrous!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

actually Salty had a ton of clutch hits last year...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Gomes mustve had one heck of a 2012 considering he got a 500% raise.....oh wait....he hit less home runs and rbis than cody ross?  sorry, scratch that Ben argument...

[/QUOTE]

Well considering that Gomes hit only 4 less HRs and only batted .005 percentage points lower than Ross in 2012 with 197 less at bats clearly shows that Ben should have invested 3/$26 million for Ross rather than 2/$10 million for Gomes...your right, there's no argument here!!

[/QUOTE]

Pssst, Geo, Ross is actually getting a bigger raise for his .807, than Gomes is getting for his .868.  You see, $9M-3M=$6M, while $5M-$1M=$4M.  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Joe you embarrass yourself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Joe you embarrass yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Meaningless statement without an explanation.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

drew + gomes = 3 years  20 million

i think cody was a better deal even at 8 mil a year for those three years....but Ben never met a mediocre player that he didnt like to sign...but after he signed Gomes, it made no sense to sign ross... ROSS > GOMES!

[/QUOTE]

Cody Ross and Johnny Gomes are essentially the same player. They both mash LH pitching and neither one of them is much of a fielder.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong-O. Ross hits 30 points higher than Gomes vs RHP (.253 vs .212). In fact, Ross hass more career HRs off RHP than LHP. And he is a much better defender. Ross has a career +14 Rdrs, Gomes is -50.

To say that they are essentially the same is ludicrous!

[/QUOTE]
    +1 comrade! on no logical basis is this jambroni stiff gomes worth 5m.. certainly ross is more closer to being worth his pay.. guys get injured.. ross was certainly more full-timer worthy esp at fenway! plus he was a proven clubhouse guy.. its all a leap of faith with gomes.. give me the proven anyday esp with this kind of $!

[/QUOTE]

Cody's production can easily be replaced. remember, cody was brought in to be a platoon guy but only started playing FT because of all the injuries. yeah he was one of the better characters on the team last year but he is not and never would have been a BIG part of our team..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

i think ross is well worth his price tag.....also didnt understand why we didnt resign him......played his butt off.....kept his mouth shut.....good hitter and seemed like a good guy