CODY ROSS signs at a reasonable 3 years, $26m... SERIOUSLY, how could BC miss on this?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: CODY ROSS signs at a reasonable 3 years, $26m... SERIOUSLY, how could BC miss on this?

I guess you didnt see the other 2 Cody Ross threads on the front page...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: CODY ROSS signs at a reasonable 3 years, $26m... SERIOUSLY, how could BC miss on this?

Who really cares--he wanted three years Ben wanted him for two and less money. Cody guessed wrong--he guessed Ben would take him back on Cody's terms--Cody was great for the Sox last year and he got a better deal from the D'Backs--let's everybody be happy. and not have any hard feelings, it's Christmas...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

drew + gomes = 3 years  20 million

i think cody was a better deal even at 8 mil a year for those three years....but Ben never met a mediocre player that he didnt like to sign...but after he signed Gomes, it made no sense to sign ross

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think cody was a better deal even at 8 mil a year for those three years....but Ben never met a mediocre player that he didnt like to sign...but after he signed Gomes, it made no sense to sign ross

[/QUOTE]

Cody Ross and Johnny Gomes are essentially the same player. They both mash LH pitching and neither one of them is much of a fielder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ross is a mediocre player himself.  He has a career line of 262/324/460.  He is a bad fielder.  He has bounced around from team to team.  Despite his postseason heroics in 2010, the Giants let him go after 2011 even though all they had to match was a $3 million, one year offer from the Red Sox.

What Cody Ross does is demolish left-handed pitching, and as such he is an excellent platoon hitter.  He also seems to be a very good guy.  I wouldn't have minded re-signing him at the right price-the Gomes price.  But let's be clear: he too is a medicore player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ross is a mediocre player himself.  He has a career line of 262/324/460.  He is a bad fielder.  He has bounced around from team to team.  Despite his postseason heroics in 2010, the Giants let him go after 2011 even though all they had to match was a $3 million, one year offer from the Red Sox.

What Cody Ross does is demolish left-handed pitching, and as such he is an excellent platoon hitter.  He also seems to be a very good guy.  I wouldn't have minded re-signing him at the right price-the Gomes price.  But let's be clear: he too is a medicore player.

[/QUOTE]

ross is better than gomes as a FT player. but in a platoon role Gomes will give you pratically the same thing ross will for a fraction of the cost and a year less.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is what u call a layup, low hanging fruit... diamondbacks are so much better run than we are right now. should have signed him and auctioned out a jacoby. you have a guy built for your team, adjusted to bv.. in fact bv immediately texted him on his new deal. tells me he can flow with anyone.. yet with a farrell coming in and all these guys you ignore the one guy who should be indispensable in keeping a clubhouse together? just dumb! i just dont get BC!

[/QUOTE]

Ross, imo, is worst signing of the winter so far.  Road OPS over the last three years is one of the worst in BB for a LF.  Poor fielder.  Doesn't hit righties much.  Had a .707 in his last 65 games.  The 129 Ks projects to about 163 over 600 ABs if he were a fulltime player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this is what u call a layup, low hanging fruit... diamondbacks are so much better run than we are right now. should have signed him and auctioned out a jacoby. you have a guy built for your team, adjusted to bv.. in fact bv immediately texted him on his new deal. tells me he can flow with anyone.. yet with a farrell coming in and all these guys you ignore the one guy who should be indispensable in keeping a clubhouse together? just dumb! i just dont get BC!

[/QUOTE]

Ross, imo, is worst signing of the winter so far.  Road OPS over the last three years is one of the worst in BB for a LF.  Poor fielder.  Doesn't hit righties much.  Had a .707 in his last 65 games.  The 129 Ks projects to about 163 over 600 ABs if he were a fulltime player.

[/QUOTE]

which player last year had the most game winning clutch hits throughout the season? i recall it being Ross....this is why all these stats are a joke - scutaro is a world series champ and mvp of the pennant and you lickers are still quoting bill james like it means anything...if you think the worth of players like ross and scutaro are best explained by stats, you know very little about competitive sports and the intangibles that make teams successful...by the way youre on .....you predict the sox will be over .500, correct?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

which player last year had the most game winning clutch hits throughout the season? i recall it being Ross....this is why all these stats are a joke - scutaro is a world series champ and mvp of the pennant and you lickers are still quoting bill james like it means anything...if you think the worth of players like ross and scutaro are best explained by stats, you know very little about competitive sports and the intangibles that make teams successful...by the way youre on .....you predict the sox will be over .500, correct?

[/QUOTE]

Ha . Now it's just "lickers"

If I were you I would go with "Cherry Lickers".  It might catch on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha . Now it's just "lickers"

If I were you I would go with "Cherry Lickers".  It might catch on.

[/QUOTE]

well done my snakedoiledness...merry christmas brother!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

You too man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cody Ross and Johnny Gomes are essentially the same player. They both mash LH pitching and neither one of them is much of a fielder.

[/QUOTE]

Eaxctly! So why not pay more!?!?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eaxctly! So why not pay more!?!?

[/QUOTE]

and offer more years! blocked prospects? ehhhhh just trade them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was 51-75 in starts.  Our record without Ross starting was 23-13.  .768 in late & close, .718 in the 9th, 0-7 in extra innings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was 51-75 in starts.  Our record without Ross starting was 23-13.  .768 in late & close, .718 in the 9th, 0-7 in extra innings.

[/QUOTE]

i didnt realize cody was pitching those games.....i assumed that he actually WON more games for the Sox than he lost....silly me

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

so did you wanted scuturo to play 2nd insead of pedroia because he sure as heck couldnt play short anymore

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talk about fudging numbers...first off the 2 players the Sox signed are here for just 2 years, not 3. Plus, Ross can't play SS so including Drew in the discussion is irrelevant.

Fact is, Gomes is here for 2 years and $10 million compared to Ross's now 3/$26M...maybe Ross is a tad better, but not $16M better.

I don't understand the outcry for Ross?? Didn't the Giants just let walk so the Sox could sign him last season...if Cody was really that much a better player than Gomes he would have never been on the market this offseason as someone would have signed him to a multi-year deal last offseason.

The grass always grows greener for the other teams in MLB...and Arizona's GM's somehow became smarter than all the other GMs in baseball that considered Ross but just not on a 3 year commitment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talk about fudging numbers...first off the 2 players the Sox signed are here for just 2 years, not 3. Plus, Ross can't play SS so including Drew in the discussion is irrelevant.

Fact is, Gomes is here for 2 years and $10 million compared to Ross's now 3/$26M...maybe Ross is a tad better, but not $16M better.

I don't understand the outcry for Ross?? Didn't the Giants just let walk so the Sox could sign him last season...if Cody was really that much a better player than Gomes he would have never been on the market this offseason as someone would have signed him to a multi-year deal last offseason.

The grass always grows greener for the other teams in MLB...and Arizona's GM's somehow became smarter than all the other GMs in baseball that considered Ross but just not on a 3 year commitment.

[/QUOTE]

Gomes mustve had one heck of a 2012 considering he got a 500% raise.....oh wait....he hit less home runs and rbis than cody ross?  sorry, scratch that Ben argument...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

Gomes mustve had one heck of a 2012 considering he got a 500% raise.....oh wait....he hit less home runs and rbis than cody ross?  sorry, scratch that Ben argument...

[/QUOTE]

Well considering that Gomes hit only 4 less HRs and only batted .005 percentage points lower than Ross in 2012 with 197 less at bats clearly shows that Ben should have invested 3/$26 million for Ross rather than 2/$10 million for Gomes...your right, there's no argument here!!

SERIOUSLY??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well considering that Gomes hit only 4 less HRs and only batted .005 percentage points lower than Ross in 2012 with 197 less at bats clearly shows that Ben should have invested 3/$26 million for Ross rather than 2/$10 million for Gomes...your right, there's no argument here!!

gee sox, how come you left out rbis? 47 v 81?????

pathetic......a 500% raise???? LOLOLOLOL