Cody Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: Cody Ross

I see little difference between Cody Ross and Scott Hairston. The idea of signing Ross to a 3 year deal is laughable. I would look at the two players, aswell as Hunter and try to get one for 1 year. I would go Hunter 8, Ross 6.5, or Hairston 5.5. If I had to go two years, it would probably be Ross. But I would probably start looking at BJ Upton or a trade instead. I don't want Bogaerts or Brentz blocked by some aging mediocre stiff for the next 3 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Put those three guys on the back burner.  Cherington has to get off his lazy azz and sign Cody Ross---which I think he is going to blow sky high because of his slo-mo gait and his notorious ris aversion.  Then when Ross goes elsewhere he will sign an outfielder who is not as good or as young or has the power of Cody.  We've seen this stuff before.

To draw a parallel to eBay, Cody Ross probably has an inflated "buy-it-now" price in terms of years and salary. The Red Sox probably would need to overpay on the "buy-it-now" price to get Ross to sign immediately.

A better strategy would be to let the bidding process to take its course.

[/QUOTE]

Im with you Hill. Lets see what the market is for him. Although I probably would have given him the qualifying offer, only because Im sure there is at least a 3 year deal out there for him worth more than 13.3M. Nonetheless, some fans should be a little more patient. Everything is NOW NOW NOW. There is interest on both sides and the Sox will make their offer soon enough.

[/QUOTE]

He who waits is lost---ever heard t hat expession before?  And since Cherington is slow on the draw, afraid to make a big move IMO, and very risk averse, I can see us losing Ross to a team who sees him as a better than talent than the baseball knowledge shy Cherington does.   Then in either a panic or trying to make amends he then signs a player who plays the same positon but is a lesser talent with less power and talent.  We've seen this before.....Damon and then Crisp, Bay and then Cameron to name just two.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. it was horrible how Ben made those moves before he had the job.   By the way, did the Sox spend money on any other free agents the years those players were acquired?

Crisp was not acquired via a panic move.  We got him after dealing Renteria out of town, and Crisp did have an extremely good 2005 in Cleveland.   You could have at least mentioned Alex Gonzalez, the only actual player to fit the bill.  But the "downgrade" from Renteria did not support this argument nearly as well as a fictionalized grab of Crisp...

[/QUOTE]

Crisp was traded tothe Red Sox after the team botched the Johnny Damon resigning.  Damon had a banner 2006 season for the Yankees; Crisp sucked big time with the Red Sox that year and in 2007 and 2008.  He never hit worth a damn.  Damon went on to have four pretty solid seasons with the Yankees.  Renteria was a defensive disaster who didn't fit in at Fenway Park.  Tony LaRussa warned us on that.  Gonzales, OTOH, fielded spectacularly but was a total waste at the plate---bad hitter, bad discipline at the plate, no foot speed, no charisma.  He'd been going from place to place since.

No matter how you slice it, I still say we should sign Cody Ross.  He is a dirt dog, hard nosed player and we need a few of those to make up for some of the candy a^s players we are now stuck with.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Put those three guys on the back burner.  Cherington has to get off his lazy azz and sign Cody Ross---which I think he is going to blow sky high because of his slo-mo gait and his notorious ris aversion.  Then when Ross goes elsewhere he will sign an outfielder who is not as good or as young or has the power of Cody.  We've seen this stuff before.

To draw a parallel to eBay, Cody Ross probably has an inflated "buy-it-now" price in terms of years and salary. The Red Sox probably would need to overpay on the "buy-it-now" price to get Ross to sign immediately.

[/QUOTE]

Im with you Hill. Lets see what the market is for him. Although I probably would have given him the qualifying offer, only because Im sure there is at least a 3 year deal out there for him worth more than 13.3M. Nonetheless, some fans should be a little more patient. Everything is NOW NOW NOW. There is interest on both sides and the Sox will make their offer soon enough.

[/QUOTE]

He who waits is lost---ever heard t hat expession before?  And since Cherington is slow on the draw, afraid to make a big move IMO, and very risk averse, I can see us losing Ross to a team who sees him as a better than talent than the baseball knowledge shy Cherington does.   Then in either a panic or trying to make amends he then signs a player who plays the same positon but is a lesser talent with less power and talent.  We've seen this before.....Damon and then Crisp, Bay and then Cameron to name just two.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. it was horrible how Ben made those moves before he had the job.   By the way, did the Sox spend money on any other free agents the years those players were acquired?

Crisp was not acquired via a panic move.  We got him after dealing Renteria out of town, and Crisp did have an extremely good 2005 in Cleveland.   You could have at least mentioned Alex Gonzalez, the only actual player to fit the bill.  But the "downgrade" from Renteria did not support this argument nearly as well as a fictionalized grab of Crisp...

[/QUOTE]

Crisp was traded tothe Red Sox after the team botched the Johnny Damon resigning.  Damon had a banner 2006 season for the Yankees; Crisp sucked big time with the Red Sox that year and in 2007 and 2008.  He never hit worth a damn.  Damon went on to have four pretty solid seasons with the Yankees.  Renteria was a defensive disaster who didn't fit in at Fenway Park.  Tony LaRussa warned us on that.  Gonzales, OTOH, fielded spectacularly but was a total waste at the plate---bad hitter, bad discipline at the plate, no foot speed, no charisma.  He'd been going from place to place since.

No matter how you slice it, I still say we should sign Cody Ross.  He is a dirt dog, hard nosed player and we need a few of those to make up for some of the candy a^s players we are now stuck with.

[/QUOTE]

What you fail to mention is that Damon could no longer play center field after year one of that contract.  Fortunately for the Yankees, they could split him between left and DH.  Since we had Manny and Ortiz both locked up back then and they were arguably the best 3/4 combo in the game, where were you playing Damon the next 3 years?  By the way, the Sox won the World Series in '07 without Damon. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ross is basically an average player.  Mistake hitter with Fenway power.  Better off platooned.  Will hit some homers , but strikeout a lot.  Average , at best , defensively .  A good clubhouse guy , but not someone you need to sign.  Let's not concern ourselves with continuing to go in this direction.  Let Ross go. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so just wondering. Who are the candyazz players that will be here beyond 2013?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I just worry that all the "clubhouse guys" will not be looked at as advantageous anymore. In the coming season, they might just be the difference.

You can argue how well he's done or not, but this team definitely needs clubhouse guys. You could just be taking the heart out of the whole team. I NEVER want this team to wind up as a bunch of all-stars.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox did not "botch" the damon signing beyond actually offering him 3 years in the first place.  As said before, he really had no position in Boston.  Crisp hit better every year in boston and managed to not only lose the question marks around his ability to play CF, but managed to establish a reputation among the game's best defenders at the position.

So are you saying Gonzalez was not a step up from Renteria?  Your whole point was waiting left the Sox with scraps and downgrades.  Damon was not going to play CF anymore (and hasn;t since). so his fowngrade is arguable.  Gonzalez provided the Sox with a huge defensive upgrade in the middle.

I am not saying the So should avoid Ross.  But id his demands re 3 years / $24mill,  that is a laughable salary for a 34yo platoon outfielder.  If the Sox sign him to that deal, 2 years from now fans will be demanding Ross be run out of town as a sign of Cherinton's incompetence and you will be at the forefront of the march.

Ross has very little leverage here.  However, he might want to test the mrket.  It is his last chance.  But NO team is looking at this guy as a low cost alternative to Hamilton and Swisher.  No smart team anyway.  At the very least, the beauty of having "low cost" as your advantage is that is one trait teams will not overpay for. 

Ross would be good to have, but he is hardly a must.  He also has no reason to rush into signing.  Why do you assume this is all about Cherington?  Are you for certain Ross is sitting in his house by the phone, hoping and praying for ANY offer from Boston? As I said before, if Ross wants to test the market, there is nothing the Sox can do to stop it beyond overpaying to ridiculous levels.  Are you saying the Sox need to take this route, and offer, say 4 years / $40mill to the right-handed bat in a platoon?  Are you saying Cherington is incompetent for not doing THAT?  Really?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everyone wants him, then the Sox don't act. Now he's not a game-changer.

Defend Ben at all cost!

[/QUOTE]

As opposed to attacking Ben at every chance? Yes, much smarter.

The reality is, no one  on this board really knows what offers have been made, etc.   However, that will not stop anyone from attacking for the sake of attacking, will it?

Everyone assumes Ross is stting back waiting to sign anything.  Why wouldn't Ross test the market after a career year?  If he is as good as you say, he would be stupid not to.  Are you sure Ben is the reason Ross has not signed here yet?   Since you seem to attack anyone who says they don't have all the answers, I guess yuo do.  Exactly what are Cody's demands?  And how far below them was Ben's last offer?

[/QUOTE]

Ross, while not a superstar, put up solid numbers and is a good fit. It's obvious to anyone but you, that the Sox should have done a deal during the season to retain his services. Ross said they had a ton of opportunities and never got close.

It's the same old story, Sox sign FA for 1 year who proceeds to produce, and management lets him get away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Defend Ben at all cost!

[/QUOTE]

The reality is, no one  on this board really knows what offers have been made, etc.   However, that will not stop anyone from attacking for the sake of attacking, will it?

Everyone assumes Ross is stting back waiting to sign anything.  Why wouldn't Ross test the market after a career year?  If he is as good as you say, he would be stupid not to.  Are you sure Ben is the reason Ross has not signed here yet?   Since you seem to attack anyone who says they don't have all the answers, I guess yuo do.  Exactly what are Cody's demands?  And how far below them was Ben's last offer?

[/QUOTE]

Ross, while not a superstar, put up solid numbers and is a good fit. It's obvious to anyone but you, that the Sox should have done a deal during the season to retain his services. Ross said they had a ton of opportunities and never got close.

It's the same old story, Sox sign FA for 1 year who proceeds to produce, and management lets him get away.

[/QUOTE]

So, how much should the Sox have paid him?

You think they should've gotten something done by now.

You must have some idea of what it would've taken to get a deal done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Actually, a qualifying offer might not have been a horrible idea.  Ross might have taken it.  Yes, it is more than he is worth, but it buys the Sox another year to let Brentz, Bradley and Kalish to develop and earn their way in or out of the OF picture for 2014.

Ike's point, as I take it, is that the Sox have had a recent run of bringing players in on one year deals that do quite well in Boston and then letting them go, while bringing in long-term commitments who have done poorly or just never seemed to fit.  V-Mart, Beltre, Ross were all good fits while here, and excelled in the Boston market.  Why not start keeping players who have proven they can excel in Boston?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was the second guy on the Ross bandwagon last year, but no way I pay him close to $24M/3. I'd offer him $12M/2 tops.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually, a qualifying offer might not have been a horrible idea.  Ross might have taken it.  Yes, it is more than he is worth, but it buys the Sox another year to let Brentz, Bradley and Kalish to develop and earn their way in or out of the OF picture for 2014.

Ike's point, as I take it, is that the Sox have had a recent run of bringing players in on one year deals that do quite well in Boston and then letting them go, while bringing in long-term commitments who have done poorly or just never seemed to fit.  V-Mart, Beltre, Ross were all good fits while here, and excelled in the Boston market.  Why not start keeping players who have proven they can excel in Boston?

[/QUOTE]

13.3 million is probably double what he's worth.

I'd love to keep him, but he's not a player I'd overpay to keep.

If another team values him more than the Sox do, so be it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Did you see KLaw's top 50 free agent rankings? Did you see where he ranked Ross? Not that Law is the be all end all, but he is an impartial opinion with a scouts eye and front office mind set. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sea, 

You're so impatient. The Sox have needs but your perception of Cherington as lazy is idiotic. You must be close friends of Trotter/Softy and Georom. I don't see any other clubs rushing out to sign anyone. Sure a few deals have been made but with the prices going higher teams are getting more cautious about signings, especially long term. Witness the Angel's letting Heron and Hunter go to free agency. A lot of GMs are probably seeing what a mess the Sox got themselves into with ill advised signing and players who have signed these ridiculous long term deals like Jason Worth and getting very cautious.

If salaries keep on rising MLB is going to implode because folks won't be able to afford the product. When marginally decent players like Cody Ross with a lifetime average of .262 and .324OBP are possibly looking for 7-9mil a year something has to give. If it keeps going as much as I'm a lifetime Sox fan, out of disgust with the greed of professional players I will put a halt to watching all professional sports.

This country is still in the midst of financial difficulties and has been for all too long but players in all sport continue to look for more money with salaries ggoing more skyward all the time. It's very clear the players and owners in professional sports could care less about the financially strapped middle class who support thier sports.

Hetch     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was the second guy on the Ross bandwagon last year, but no way I pay him close to $24M/3. I'd offer him $12M/2 tops.

[/QUOTE]

I'd offer him $15M/2 years.  

I'm afraid another team like the Braves or Mariners will offer more money and years.  If that's the case, then will Boston increase their offer or look elsewhere?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Red Sox free agent Ross may be fit for Mets

With little money to spend and their focus on David Wright’s and R.A. Dickey’s contract situations, the Mets barely noticed yesterday’s arrival of free agency.

At some point the Mets might get interested. But that may hinge largely on what unfolds with Wright and Dickey, who are signed for next year — their respective options were picked up last week — but could be traded this offseason in the absence of contract extensions.

The Mets have a glaring need for outfield help, and multiple baseball officials yesterday pointed to Cody Ross as a possible free-agent target for the team

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Sorry Fred but the Sox were right in not keeping Bay.

Look at his numbers after he left Boston.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Sorry Fred but the Sox were right in not keeping Bay.

Look at his numbers after he left Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Since Fred has been complaining about losing Bay from the day he left, and has continued no matter how bad Bay was, perhaps Fred would like to see us offer the $16M to Bay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Defend Ben at all cost!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plenty of opportunities for a 3yr 25M contract that they wont pay him. Just because they had the opportunities doesnt mean anything. The opportunity to what? Overpay? Now that would be incompetent. I like Ross to and he is a great fit for this team and Fenway Park, but not at 8.3M per for the next 3 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I figured the same thing because I think he wouldnt have accepted it and tested FA. And if he did, no big deal. Its a lot more than what hes worth, but like you said, it buys them another year with good production from a corner OF spot.

25. This post has been removed.