Come on now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from spider-man. Show spider-man's posts

Come on now

When is Tito going to come to his senses? I've been saying for weeks now that Crawford should be playing in the #2 spot, followed by Pedroia, and Gonzo bat clean-up. Carl did his best baseball batting 2nd, and Ells followed by Crawford is the best in baseball. Show some confidence in the guy, and he just might finish the year with a bang!. Gonzo would make a better clean-up hitter than Pedey, then put Youk in the #6 spot behind Ortiz. The best starting 6 in baseball.
       Just let me know when I can start coaching- World Series champs for sure!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Come on now

I'd bat Ellsbury 3d before I'd bat Pedroia there--higher OPS, more dingers, more runs, hits, rbi's, you name it. 

Your best hitter bats third, and that's AGon, period.  When Youk returns, he just mind find himself batting 5th. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I like this lineup when youk and Drew return...

Ells
    Scutaro
    Gonzalez
    Pedrioa
    Papi
    Youk
    Drew
    Saltalamacchia/Tek
    Crawford

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Papi has earned the right to hit 4th, Youk should be 5th and i love Pedey but i don't want a midget batting 4th.

Els
    Pedey
    Gonz
    Papi
    Youk
    Craw
    Drew
    Salta
    Scutes

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I agree, Crawford got off to such a slow start as did the whole team and Tito seemed to shuffle people all over the place.  Not that Crawford has looked better I'd really like to see what he can do in the 2 hole.

Maybe he can stay in the 6th 7th spot vs LHP and plug him in the #2 hole vs. RHP. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

IMHO Carl Crawford never was a great #2 hitter. Pedey has it all over him in that role, sees more pitches, puts more balls in play, has better defensive swing skills, better OBP and now that CC is playing 81 games in Boston, as slight edge might go to Pedey in SLG as well.

Wherever CC hit in Tampa was as much a more a function of the fact that Rays never had Ells, Pedey, A-Gon, Youk and Ortiz on their rosters.

Moving CC near the top based on short sample sets isn't the way to go IMO. He is not as bad as his 2011 stats but probably wasn't as good as his 2010 stats. His career stats screamed lower third of the order on this roster and if he wasn't paid what he is they also screamed sit hi against 80% of the quality LH pitchers you see.

As for Ortiz hitting 4th when Youk gets back I think Tito will go back to splitting up A-Gon and Ortiz with a RH. The match-up worked tonight but overall I think the RS like making the manager's switches later in the game painful. And it may just be me but I think Pedey is just gold at #2, no matter what the short sample sets about him as a clean-up hitter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Come on now:
    [QUOTE]IMHO Carl Crawford never was a great #2 hitter. Pedey has it all over him in that role, sees more pitches, puts more balls in play, has better defensive swing skills, better OBP and now that CC is playing 81 games in Boston, as slight edge might go to Pedey in SLG as well. Wherever CC hit in Tampa was as much a more a function of the fact that Rays never had Ells, Pedey, A-Gon, Youk and Ortiz on their rosters. Moving CC near the top based on short sample sets isn't the way to go IMO. He is not as bad as his 2011 stats but probably wasn't as good as his 2010 stats. His career stats screamed lower third of the order on this roster and if he wasn't paid what he is they also screamed sit hi against 80% of the quality LH pitchers you see. As for Ortiz hitting 4th when Youk gets back I think Tito will go back to splitting up A-Gon and Ortiz with a RH. The match-up worked tonight but overall I think the RS like making the manager's switches later in the game painful. And it may just be me but I think Pedey is just gold at #2, no matter what the short sample sets about him as a clean-up hitter.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]IMHO Carl Crawford never was a great #2 hitter. Pedey has it all over him in that role, sees more pitches, puts more balls in play, has better defensive swing skills, better OBP and now that CC is playing 81 games in Boston, as slight edge might go to Pedey in SLG as well. Wherever CC hit in Tampa was as much a more a function of the fact that Rays never had Ells, Pedey, A-Gon, Youk and Ortiz on their rosters. Moving CC near the top based on short sample sets isn't the way to go IMO. He is not as bad as his 2011 stats but probably wasn't as good as his 2010 stats. His career stats screamed lower third of the order on this roster and if he wasn't paid what he is they also screamed sit hi against 80% of the quality LH pitchers you see. As for Ortiz hitting 4th when Youk gets back I think Tito will go back to splitting up A-Gon and Ortiz with a RH. The match-up worked tonight but overall I think the RS like making the manager's switches later in the game painful. And it may just be me but I think Pedey is just gold at #2, no matter what the short sample sets about him as a clean-up hitter.

I think if anything these guys Make Crawford a more dangerous hitter, maybe not this year but moving forward over the next several years it will.  However I think you are right, Pedroia is gold in the # 2 spot and a better hitter. 

a little of topic but since you mentioned Pedroia as a good # 2 hitter I've been contemplating the idea lately of switching Ellsbury and Pedroia.  With Ellsbury's newfound power and Pedeys OBP I wonder what I lineup starting off with Pedey then Ells could produce. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come on now : I think if anything these guys Make Crawford a more dangerous hitter, maybe not this year but moving forward over the next several years it will.  However I think you are right, Pedroia is gold in the # 2 spot and a better hitter.  a little of topic but since you mentioned Pedroia as a good # 2 hitter I've been contemplating the idea lately of switching Ellsbury and Pedroia.  With Ellsbury's newfound power and Pedeys OBP I wonder what I lineup starting off with Pedey then Ells could produce. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]May be but one of the things everybody debated when the RS signed him was where was Carwford going to hit.

Was he a better lead-off hitter than Ellsbury? Not if you asked anybody but our own serial Ellsbury stalker.

Better two than Pedroia? No.

Best hitter on the team (the guy is usually your three?) No.

Better at the clean-up spot than Youk? No not ven on his 2010 career year.

Better than Ortiz for 5?

That leaves him at 6 on his 2010 stats IMO and that needs to drop versus LH who he never has hit a lick, even in 2010.

It was a weird signing and that was if he performed at his career averages. To me I try and over look it at this point because it is circular and frustrating to think about the money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come on now : May be but one of the things everybody debated when the RS signed him was where was Carwford going to hit. Was he a better lead-off hitter than Ellsbury? Not if you asked anybody but our own serial Ellsbury stalker. Better two than Pedroia? No. Best hitter on the team (the guy is usually your three?) No. Better at the clean-up spot than Youk? No not ven on his 2010 career year. Better than Ortiz for 5? That leaves him at 6 on his 2010 stats IMO and that needs to drop versus LH who he never has hit a lick, even in 2010. It was a weird signing and that was if he performed at his career averages. To me I try and over look it at this point because it is circular and frustrating to think about the money.

The scales may balance better by November.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come on now : May be but one of the things everybody debated when the RS signed him was where was Carwford going to hit. Was he a better lead-off hitter than Ellsbury? Not if you asked anybody but our own serial Ellsbury stalker. Better two than Pedroia? No. Best hitter on the team (the guy is usually your three?) No. Better at the clean-up spot than Youk? No not ven on his 2010 career year. Better than Ortiz for 5? That leaves him at 6 on his 2010 stats IMO and that needs to drop versus LH who he never has hit a lick, even in 2010. It was a weird signing and that was if he performed at his career averages. To me I try and over look it at this point because it is circular and frustrating to think about the money.

You make good points, the problem with Crawford is his OBP isn't high enough to make him an elite top of the lineup player.

I know there was some speculation or maybe hope that Crawfords power would improve with his age, that may very well be true but it still doesn't give him a clear defined spot in the lineup.

If he does play more like the 2010 Crawford in 2012 (and I think he will) It should be a good problem to have finding a spot for him in the lineup.  If you have Crawford (career numbers) batting 6th 7th in your lineup......you got a pretty sick lineup. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come on now : You make good points, the problem with Crawford is his OBP isn't high enough to make him an elite top of the lineup player. I know there was some speculation or maybe hope that Crawfords power would improve with his age, that may very well be true but it still doesn't give him a clear defined spot in the lineup. If he does play more like the 2010 Crawford in 2012 (and I think he will) It should be a good problem to have finding a spot for him in the lineup.  If you have Crawford (career numbers) batting 6th 7th in your lineup......you got a pretty sick lineup. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

And if you have an April version of Crawford batting sixth or seventh you still have a sick lineup.

Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

A testament to the depth of this team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd agree that batting after Lowrie does not install confidence in someone who is superior in all aspects of hitting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Or better yet, your team has some key players on the DL but even then your manager prefers to put McDonald in the 2 spot... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I never understood batting McDonald 2nd......but at least McDonald has been a decent hitter the past couple weeks, much better than the black hole he was earlier. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Mac hit 2nd to break up the lefties, Jake/AGONE.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Oh I understand the philosphy of having a righty bat second....I just don't know why it was Dmac was there.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

some interesting suggestions as to what the batting order should be when youk returns. (except the one with scutaro hitting second which is just no happening) i have to say i think at this point ortiz should hit ahead of youk. so i think the line up should look like this:

ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    ortiz
    youk
    crawford
    drew
    salty
    scutaro/lowrie (dont really like ethier of them as they both have below average range and should not be playing ss) as much as i hate to keep crawford in the 6 spot as i do not think that spot makes sense for a player with his skill set, i dont know where else to put him. i think that no matter how well crawford performs during his time with the sox, he just does not fit with this team. he is a number 2 hitter and could also be a lead off hitter. thats where is skill set fits in, not in the number 6/7 spot. (not to mention you dont hit a guy who you are paying 20 million per year that low in the order). crawford never made sense for this team and never will unless the trade someone like ellsbury who has a similar skill set to carl's so they can move crawford up in the order. otherwise he will go down as one of theo's worst signings during his time as red sox gm. yes crawford is a good player and was no doubt the best outfielder available on the free agent market. but he never made sense for the sox for multiple reasons. but apparently theo failed to see those reasons.