compensation for Theo from Cubs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs.

As for the change of scenery idea...I understand the logic behind it, but Zambrano is crazier of the two. He spent time on the bereavement list this year because he was nuts. I know Lackey is no good and crazy, but Zambrano is worse, older, and crazier. I'll take Lackey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs.:
    [QUOTE]As for the change of scenery idea...I understand the logic behind it, but Zambrano is crazier of the two. He spent time on the bereavement list this year because he was nuts. I know Lackey is no good and crazy, but Zambrano is worse, older, and crazier. I'll take Lackey.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

You are thinking rationally, you've got to stop that if this thread is to survive!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I can't believe those who are advocating a swap of Lackey for Zambrano/Soriano/Zito (bad contracts)... Are you serious? They are worse than Lackey. No one likes Lack, myself included, but he is one year removed from an average year. Overpaid for sure, but this is the bed that Theo laid for us. Hang onto him as an overpriced 5 Starter. I sincerely doubt that the Cubs would give up Castro given the fact the could go for Friedman from Tampa, but if the are head over heels for him I say the Sox make a blockbuster. Garza and Cherington /> Theo Castro > Iglesias

Nobody is saying trade Lackey for Zambrano because we like Zambrano. The big plus to that deal would be:

Lackey $46M/3
    Zambrano $18M/1

Think of what we can do with $28M.

The big plus in trading Lackey and Jenks for Soriano is the money is about even, and we fill our RF slot and improve our staff by subtraction.

Zito gets $46M/2: Lackey $46M/3. I would not make this deal 1 on 1, but if we could get one of SF's young arms attached to the deal...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from playoffredsox. Show playoffredsox's posts

If Billy Beane came to Red Sox years ago from the A's, the A's demanded Youkilis as compensation.

So, I would hope Garza or Castro is involved as compensation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs. : Nobody is saying trade Lackey for Zambrano because we like Zambrano. The big plus to that deal would be: Lackey $46M/3 Zambrano $18M/1 Think of what we can do with $28M. The big plus in trading Lackey and Jenks for Soriano is the money is about even, and we fill our RF slot and improve our staff by subtraction. Zito gets $46M/2: Lackey $46M/3. I would not make this deal 1 on 1, but if we could get one of SF's young arms attached to the deal...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm sayin'.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]If Billy Beane came to Red Sox years ago from the A's, the A's demanded Youkilis as compensation. So, I would hope Garza or Castro is involved as compensation.
    Posted by playoffredsox[/QUOTE]

Youk at that time was a not a Rookie SS with 207 hits in his first big league season.  He was a top prospect, which is what the Red Sox can likely expect.  Garza might not be as much of a reach but Theo isn't worth Castro and Cubs know that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It appears that the compensation is going to be either cash or a prospect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Why would the Cubs do it?  Why would Theo the guy who signed him and is leaving Boston because of such a horrible errors in judgement like this let himself be saddled with Lackey a now known bad character to Theo?  I wish it could happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from playoffredsox. Show playoffredsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs. : Youk at that time was a not a Rookie SS with 207 hits in his first big league season.  He was a top prospect, which is what the Red Sox can likely expect.  Garza might not be as much of a reach but Theo isn't worth Castro and Cubs know that.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I believe most of the Cubs better prospects are at their lower levels.

I would be fine if they just take Lackey if that's an option.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs. : I believe most of the Cubs better prospects are at their lower levels. I would be fine if they just take Lackey if that's an option.
    Posted by playoffredsox[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just reading up on the Cubs prospects and it looks pretty thin. 

I think the Lackey for Zambrano idea might have some legs.  I hate the idea of taking on Soriano and that contract unless the Cubs want to pick up 1/2 of it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs. : Yeah, I was just reading up on the Cubs prospects and it looks pretty thin.  I think the Lackey for Zambrano idea might have some legs.  I hate the idea of taking on Soriano and that contract unless the Cubs want to pick up 1/2 of it.

Agreed. And I'm fine with it as long as we can still get another decent pitcher in case Z goes off his rocker, which I don't think he would. With the money we save on Lackey, we might make a play for Wilson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I wouldn't want Zambrano or Soriano (who is not a right fielder) for anything. Don't know why any Red Sox fan would. It goes beyond bad contracts...they aren't good players and are only going to get worse.

Theo probably wants to go to the Cubs because if Castro is there (and not given up as compensation) at least he won't have to find a SS for awhile. We know he can't do that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't want Zambrano or Soriano (who is not a right fielder) for anything. Don't know why any Red Sox fan would. It goes beyond bad contracts...they aren't good players and are only going to get worse. Theo probably wants to go to the Cubs because if Castro is there (and not given up as compensation) at least he won't have to find a SS for awhile. We know he can't do that.

Good point on the SS situation.  Zambrano for Lackey is doable because Carlos has only 1 more year to Lackey's 3.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't want Zambrano or Soriano (who is not a right fielder) for anything. Don't know why any Red Sox fan would. It goes beyond bad contracts...they aren't good players and are only going to get worse. Theo probably wants to go to the Cubs because if Castro is there (and not given up as compensation) at least he won't have to find a SS for awhile. We know he can't do that.

Fighting a losing battle TT, the people have spoken! Next we're going to send Lowrie to NYY for Cano, and we will be expecting them to eat most of his contract. They'll go for it, trust me!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs. : Yeah, I was just reading up on the Cubs prospects and it looks pretty thin.  I think the Lackey for Zambrano idea might have some legs.  I hate the idea of taking on Soriano and that contract unless the Cubs want to pick up 1/2 of it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

So NOW the real details of the deal come out. We send Theo to the Cubs, and they ask for Elllsbury also to compensate THEM! :-(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Fighting a losing battle for sure. Explain to me why Zambrano is better. At least Lackey is durable (and sane enough) to make it through a season with 200 IP. If the RS swap him and his contract for Zambrano, then we need to find another starter. Zambrano can not, will not, make it through one year and is not an AL pitcher. So by trading Lackey we then have two holes in our starting rotation, not counting depth pitchers. 

Lackey is better than Zambrano. 

If you could guarantee me that by freeing up this extra money, the Sox would sign Ellsbury to a long term deal - I would be sold. But Ellsbury's next contract is a discussion for another thread. For these purposes - Lackey stays, Zambrano and Soriano stay where they are. We would be fortunate to pry Garza from the Cubs. If the Cubs gave Castro and Garza or even Castro alone, I would think Epstein slipped something in Rickett's Starbuck's grande cappucino.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think the money is the main appeal T. You could use it for Ellsbury, or like I said, to go after someone like Wilson. In Response to Re: compensation for Theo from Cubs.:
    [QUOTE]Fighting a losing battle for sure. Explain to me why Zambrano is better. At least Lackey is durable (and sane enough) to make it through a season with 200 IP. If the RS swap him and his contract for Zambrano, then we need to find another starter. Zambrano can not, will not, make it through one year and is not an AL pitcher. So by trading Lackey we then have two holes in our starting rotation, not counting depth pitchers.  Lackey is better than Zambrano.  If you could guarantee me that by freeing up this extra money, the Sox would sign Ellsbury to a long term deal - I would be sold. But Ellsbury's next contract is a discussion for another thread. For these purposes - Lackey stays, Zambrano and Soriano stay where they are. We would be fortunate to pry Garza from the Cubs. If the Cubs gave Castro and Garza or even Castro alone, I would think Epstein slipped something in Rickett's Starbuck's grande cappucino.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Much rather keep Ells long term than sign Wilson, I don't think I'll be alone on that one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Much rather keep Ells long term than sign Wilson, I don't think I'll be alone on that one.

Yeah, I'll go along with that, but it'd be nice to be able to do both.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

This idea of compensation is ridiculous unless you emphasize small in any compensation. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Send some of Obama's taped speeches and some green jobs to the Cubs for taking a liability off the Red Sox books.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to compensation for Theo from Cubs.:
    [QUOTE]We should demand ss: starlin Castro,who was, and will continue to be outstanding!  Ok...Theo may become a H of F gm with the Cubs... the REdsox paid his tuition!!...crawford and Lankey? Others...continue the list!  We must have Castro!  need be: throw in Istabell.  the wanabee at Pawtucket who hit .235!  Good Luck Theo, I will root for the Cubs if you take Tito with you... but I will never leave the REDSOX!! 
    Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

How about a box of rocks and I'll pay the postage. Lackey your dreaming, he's the reason Theo wants to bailout, him and K Krawford, the Hall of Fame Left Fielder. I saw Teddy Ballgame playing out there where Crawford stands, it's a sacrilege really. Yaz , Rice, Crawford what a joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I wouldn't trade a No. 9 hitter for Epstein, let alone Starlin Castro. Get real guys. The Cubs aren't going to trade an impact player for Epstein. At best, the Red Sox will add a bench player or a couple of B-level minor league prospects.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Ask for Castro first...that would be a huge win for the Sox. Then we'd have a shortstop for the next 8 years. How about... Theo and Iglesias  for... Garza and Castro 5 man rotation would be Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Garza, Lackey Aceves and Bard can stay in the bullpen where they belong

hope luchino et al read this board. i'm dreamin' but if they pull it off......
    :):):):):)