Congrats- Ortiz 30 HRs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Congrats- Ortiz 30 HRs

I hope all our players "decline" like Papi.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

His production this year EXCEEDED his career averages

His "career averages" include the declining years that begin back in 2009. His season long production in RBI's and HR is in decline.  

Clarify this: exactly what part of .307/.960/30/103 do you find insufficient? You want to consider all the years before 2009? Great. Lets do that. In the 10 seasons where he played regularly (there were two seasons where he played just 10 and 15 games) Ortiz has averaged .284/.920. His numbers this year also exceed those earlier  numbers. In 2012 he was .318/1.026. This is a decline? From what? In the last two years he has averaged, therefore, .312/.993. Of course he will eventually decline. No one can maintain that pace. The fact of the matter is that you are wrong that he has declined over the past two years. His production remains outstanding.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's been steady since 2008: not in decline.

Papi's numbers from 2012-2013:

.312/.403/.583

Papi's numbers from 2008-2012:

.277/.374/.527

from 2008 - 2011:

.271/.367/.513

Decline implies some continuity over time.

Nobody is doubting Papi is not what he was from 2003-2007. Yes, he did decline after 2007, but he has leveled off and even risen of late, so the decline basically happened from 2007 to 2008 then stopped.

The clown roasted people who wanted him cut or traded back in 2009. Now that he is better than 2008-2010, he is saying he should retire?

No wonder he is the clown of all clowns.

Sox4ever

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As I say Softy has decided his best route is just to blow up the goalposts completely.  Anything goes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ortiz hurt his wrist in 08 was it? anyway, it obviously took him a year+ to feel fully "right' again. I think thats where the slight drop in some numbers in that time period come from.

Hes been consistent all year and should be fine going into next year. I would offer Papi an ongoing year-to-year 13M per deal, kinda like Wake had. If his production is close to the same in 2014, theres no reason to believe he cant go another year. As long as you can get 25HR and 90RBI and an OPS north of .900, hes more than worth it for 13M.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Way to go Big Papi! Seventh time he has had 30 HR and 100 RBI fo the Red Sox. The only other Sox player to achieve that is Ted Williams.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Ortiz, while still the only vital organ in the Red Sox offense, is in decline. His time is near, and he would do well to retire at the end of this season. A contract settlement would take care of 2014. I suspect he'll leave MLB like Wakefield and most veterans.

Are you suggesting that Ortiz should retire coming off a 30 HR 100 RBI .300+ Avg ???

REALLY!!!!! This might be the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

a 2014 campaign even close to this year would cement Big Papis place in the HoF.

i think his odds are pretty good as they stand now. obviously 500 HRs or an 8th season of 30/100 would make him a lock but his career numbers as they stand now coupled with the 2 or more WS rings and the title of greatest DH in history make him a borderline shoe-in.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Papi was unbelievable from 2004 to 2007, but this year has been special.

Several clowns wrote him off this spring and projected steep declines or long DL stints after he returned from his April DL stint.

The numbers don't lie:

30 HRs in 595 PAs. He had 32 in 606 PAs in 2010, but other than that year, this is the most since 35 in 2007.

70 XBHs are the most since 2007.

.960 OPS is the best he's had since 2007 (with over 400 PAs).

103 RBIs are the most since 2007.

.308 BA is over 20 points higher than his career .287 mark.

5.0+ HR% is less than .002 from his career mark of .052.

Sox4ever

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

'02-'03:  .280/.355/.548

'04-'05:  .308/.409/.589

'06-'07:  .309/.429/.629

'08-'09:  .250/.348/.482

'10-'11:  .290/.384/.542

'12-'13:  .312/.403/.583

The OPS trend looks like this:

.998                              .986

.903                               .926

Not your typical "decline" or age regression chart.

Selective sample sizes, you may ask? Let's try these 3 year samples:

'02-'04  .288/.365/.570

'05-'07  .306/.418/.620

'08-'10  .257/.356/.498

'11-'13  .311/.401/.572

This OPS trend looks like this:

Again, it's obvious Papi declined between 2007 and 2008, but he has improved since 2008- any way you slice it.

His BA  from '12 and '13 (.312) and '11-'13 (.311) is better than any other 2 or 3 year stretch.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ortiz, while still the only vital organ in the Red Sox offense, is in decline. His time is near, and he would do well to retire at the end of this season. A contract settlement would take care of 2014. I suspect he'll leave MLB like Wakefield and most veterans.

Are you suggesting that Ortiz should retire coming off a 30 HR 100 RBI .300+ Avg ???

REALLY!!!!! This might be the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

[/QUOTE]

Hence the fitting "clown" label.

One of these year Papi will decline again (as he did from 2007 to 2008), and the decline could be sudden or sharp, and clown will say, "I told you so", but the DH position is not a very demanding position to play. 

One thing that could really help would be to get him some better protection behind him, of lessen the pressure by batting him 5th next year or beyond. (I'd actually like him up 3rd with his BA and OBP being so high.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ortiz hurt his wrist in 08 was it? anyway, it obviously took him a year+ to feel fully "right' again. I think thats where the slight drop in some numbers in that time period come from.

Hes been consistent all year and should be fine going into next year. I would offer Papi an ongoing year-to-year 13M per deal, kinda like Wake had. If his production is close to the same in 2014, theres no reason to believe he cant go another year. As long as you can get 25HR and 90RBI and an OPS north of .900, hes more than worth it for 13M.

South, 

I wonder if Softy was around in Ted William's time when he was in his latter years if Softy would have wanted Williams to retire when he obviously wasn't the same player he was in his younger years. My guess is probably so. Softy fails to realize players, at least the majority do not and will never put up consistant numbers year to year oveer a long career. Averages, production go up and down over any players lifetime career which anyone with common knows is affected by injuries, both minor and major.

Some players might have more inner fortitude and may be able to play through injuries while others may not. I love when injuries happen to players like Ells, or I believe it was Ortiz who had a bit of Plantar Faciatis (probaby mispelled) and someone writes in stating that they encountered the same thing and they were fine. When Ortiz or who ever had Plantar issues some fool wrote into Bleacher Report stating he had the condition and he was fine after a few weeks, but I reminded him I had the same condition when much younger when I was a long distance runner and I was laid up for a number of months, yet I always thought of myself as a pretty sturdy runner who would usually fight my way through pain.  

Hetch

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[QUOTE]

South, 

I woner if Softy was around in Ted Williams time when he was in his latter years if Softy would have wanted Williams to retire when he obviously wasn't the same player he was in his younger years. My guess is probably so. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

A player 80-90% as good as Papi or Williams is still better than most other MLB'ers at the plate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

South, 

I woner if Softy was around in Ted Williams time when he was in his latter years if Softy would have wanted Williams to retire when he obviously wasn't the same player he was in his younger years. My guess is probably so. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

A player 80-90% as good as Papi or Williams is still better than most other MLB'ers at the plate.

[/QUOTE]

Moon, 100% correct !! Gotta also love what Daniel Nava has brought to the team this year. had a 4-4 night tonight to push his season's avg to .303 for the year. Hope he's also with the Sox for a long time to come. 

Hetchless

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

The clown down to one name now.

I suspect that most people have you on "ignore" which is why no one ever responds to you. I chose not to ..but will probably eventually join the crowd.

Here's the thing...what must the quality of your life be like if you have all this time and inclination to fight some imaginary "internet war" with a person you claim to have never met?

I hope you have considered the fact that you could be wrong about who you think is who. I know you have been on at least one occasion.

The botttom line is who cares? The answer is - no one but you.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

South, 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon, 100% correct !! Gotta also love what Daniel Nava has brought to the team this year. had a 4-4 night tonight to push his season's avg to .303 for the year. Hope he's also with the Sox for a long time to come. 

Hetchless

[/QUOTE]

he is not a FA until he is 35!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The clown down to one name now.

I suspect that most people have you on "ignore" which is why no one ever responds to you. I chose not to ..but will probably eventually join the crowd.

Here's the thing...what must the quality of your life be like if you have all this time and inclination to fight some imaginary "internet war" with a person you claim to have never met?

I hope you have considered the fact that you could be wrong about who you think is who. I know you have been on at least one occasion.

The botttom line is who cares? The answer is - no one but you.

[/QUOTE]

soxchamps and one other is on my ignore list.  Did not take long to figure out who the trolls are.

[/QUOTE]

i was just thinking the same thing about you. Clever name Jack.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Crickets from the clown.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Again, "decline" implies continuity.

Papi declined sharply from 2007 to 2009, but since 2009, Papi has actually improved...

.953             .960

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Crickets from the clown.

I will say one more thing on this issue and then it's to the ignore you go..and I will stick to baseball talk.

For someone who claims to be such a fan of Big Papi, you hijack every single one of his threads for your own personal internet war. That's not very respectful of a player you claim to love.

Also, I took you at your word when you said you were going to put this whole internet war with Jack in the past. Looks like Jack is the only one who did that. As I stated before I doubt that bigpapiforever is Jack. I have come upon many compliments to Ortiz from this poster. You would never see that from Jack.

You can continue to believe what you want and perhaps convince a few others..but you are really only embarrasing yourself. It would be nice if perhaps you stuck to baseball like it seems most people on this site are trying to do. The sum total of your comments seem to be "clown", "clown" "Jack" , "Clown",

It's not like I don't have my differences with Jack to....but geesh...what did he ever do to you? Let it go...I have and so should you!

25. This post has been removed.