Could Garza cut it in the AL East again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Could Garza cut it in the AL East again?

He's had injuries in the past couple of seasons, but has pitched well enough vs NL teams.

If he could be had for $15-16 mil/yr would you want him versus Dempster or Peavy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Could Garza cut it in the AL East again?

No.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I don't think that "wanting" Garsa over Dempster or Peavy is possible.  Both Dempster and Peavy have contracts for next year and since Garsa is a free agent the Sox cannot trade either of these two veterans for him.

I would rather start the season with one of the young guys like Workman finding a spot in the rotation rather than go out and sign a guy like Garsa if the Sox trade away one of their veteran starters.

It is time to find the nex good major league Sox starter who is young, ready to make the same kind of contribution that Lester and Buchholz made when they were younger and be around for a while under team control.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's had injuries in the past couple of seasons, but has pitched well enough vs NL teams.

If he could be had for $15-16 mil/yr would you want him versus Dempster or Peavy?

[/QUOTE]

Iwould take myself over Dumpster or head case........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

No thank you to Garza.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

With a core group of starters on hand for 2014 , all still more or less in their prime years, I wouldn't think the Red Sox would be looking to add to the rotation. Lester , Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy and Doubront with Workman waiting in the wings in case of injury. Only Dempster is probably past his best years and he gives them 6 experienced starters. Either Doubront or Dempster likely goes to the bullpen. Really no room for another starter. Ben has bigger issues than starting pitching.

Our #2 and #3 starters are better than most teams ace. How many teams would like to turn the ball over to Peavy or Doubront as their #4 and #5.

This part of the team is not broken, so why fix it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

With a core group of starters on hand for 2014 , all still more or less in their prime years, I wouldn't think the Red Sox would be looking to add to the rotation. Lester , Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy and Doubront with Workman waiting in the wings in case of injury. Only Dempster is probably past his best years and he gives them 6 experienced starters. Either Doubront or Dempster likely goes to the bullpen. Really no room for another starter. Ben has bigger issues than starting pitching.

Our #2 and #3 starters are better than most teams ace. How many teams would like to turn the ball over to Peavy or Doubront as their #4 and #5.

This part of the team is not broken, so why fix it?

Agreed.

Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy, Doubront, Dempster, Workman? ...and that's not even including Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, and De La Rosa (if not converted to a reliever), who will all be in Pawtucket and possibly knocking on the door sometime next year. (Plus Henry Owens in Portland, who might end up being the best of the bunch.)

The RS could trade a couple of starters away (would love to find a taker for Dempster rather than making him a $13 million long man/spot starter) and still have ample depth for 2014 and beyond.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

No.  Reason I want Dempster to be traded is because there is too many in the rotation.  If Dempster is traded at the same time if one of the starting rotation goes down during the 2014 season, Boston still have Workman, maybe Raunado, Wright, etc to be a back up pitcher.   Andrew Miller can also be a starter if he get healhy.  Meaning that Boston have alot of option for the rotation.  So therefore, Dempster is just being traded to free up more payroll to get guys to fill in positional positions or try to retain as many free agents, and therefore, Ben is not going to spend a penny to get a new starting rotation pitcher.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

You can never have too much pitching, as the old saying goes. Last year, when Breakholz broke and Lester was going in the wrong direction, we dealt away one of my favorite players to cover a short term need.

The big question for me, given all the other talent we have waiting in the wings, is if you could salary dump Dempster and / or Peavy, would Garza be an improvement?

You still have Lester, Buch, Dubront, Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, De La Rosa, Owens, Miller, Barnes ...

I'm thinking that this or an even bigger short term upgrade would  be in order.

In the end I'd love to have a team that was almost never shut out, and because of pitching strength was still very competitive given only two or three runs to work with.

I'd be willing to bet there there would be at least a few small non-bullpen pitching movies coming out of  the winter meetings. I'm hoping that BC will surprise us again -- in a good way!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Anyone who gets in a twitter war with another player's wife is way too immature to bother with.  The constant spitting is another reason to let this punk go to the Yankees.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]Anyone who gets in a twitter war with another player's wife is way too immature to bother with.  The constant spitting is another reason to let this punk go to the Yankees.[/QUOTE]

I knew he had gotten into trouble on twitter, but not the details.

Thanks for that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

You dont lose a Draft pick with that signing. This is important. Reasonable price and years grab him in a heartbeat.