Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday

What do you guys think?

Do you think CC pulled up short as he approached the wall or do you think he had no shot of that hit?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Re: Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday

He pulled up short and had a great shot to catch it if he kep running. He didn't want to hit the wall, as only Kalish appears willing to do that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

NO shot...I watched the replay last night; too high. He played the bounce off the wall well, held it to a single. Had he attempted to catch it, sure double

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

it did seem a bit high but it was tough for me to tell

i thought there was some off-camera angels from the broadcast??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

His failure to be 8 feet tall with stretchy arms is defintely becoming a limiting factor.

Seriously, that play wasn't even close to makable. 

Once again, we have people hellbent on complaining for the sake of complaining, ang they are getting so bad at it, they don't even know what to whine about.  At least have to proper gripe, that Crawford should not have been playing straight away when Lackey was working outside.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Smart move by Crawford.  Maybe could have caught it, by why risk an injury?  Plus, if he tries and doesn't catch it, it could become a double or a triple. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I am sorry if you can't distiguish b/t asking a question and complaining

I do agree that he was perhaps out of position

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday:
    [QUOTE]I am sorry if you can't distiguish b/t asking a question and complaining I do agree that he was perhaps out of position
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I know a loaded question when I see one and I know you realize it when you type one...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday:
    [QUOTE]What do you guys think? Do you think CC pulled up short as he approached the wall or do you think he had no shot of that hit?

After watching the reply I'm not sure he could have caught the ball anyway andrewmitch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Playing the wall takes experience; while Manny, Rice, Greenwell, & TW were not good OFers, they knew (and or learned) how to play it. Yaz was one of the best LFers ever, so he was good no matter where he played (see the Tom Tresh catch @ YS)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I haven't seen Crawford get near a wall.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't seen Crawford get near a wall.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Are you claiming he has Abreu-itis?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

That ball wasnt catchable and would have resulted in a double instead of a single..It was well played by CC IMO...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Again with the Crawford comments?  After the hits he got last night?

Why don't you take off that white hood and praise Crawford for the big hits he got? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't seen Crawford get near a wall.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Crawford is still learning the monster, but he played the ball perfectly yesterday on the Chavez hit so I give him credit.  Not many players want to crash a wall and as a fan I really don't blame them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You're out of line.....Playing the race card is insane.

It was a legitmate question and I wanted to hear others opinion on the matter.

Based on everything I know and what I have heard, I believe he couldn't have made that play.  End of story.

Some of you guys are way to overly presumptious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday : Crawford is still learning the monster, but he played the ball perfectly yesterday on the Chavez hit so I give him credit.  Not many players want to crash a wall and as a fan I really don't blame them.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    Hey Craze ... I just defended you on another post. Someone accused you of saying you can't be a Sox fan unless you live in New England!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Again with the Crawford comments?  After the hits he got last night? Why don't you take off that white hood and praise Crawford for the big hits he got? 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

For the first time ever, I have to defend andrewmitch.

He does tend to hate based on (what I'd call) poor criteria and misinformation, and can be relentless, but I have never seen him use race as a factor.

Heck, his favorite target is JD Drew....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In Response to Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday:
    [QUOTE]What do you guys think? Do you think CC pulled up short as he approached the wall or do you think he had no shot of that hit?
     Did John Lackey think C.C. should have caught that ball? We all saw the reaction.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday : Hey Craze ... I just defended you on another post. Someone accused you of saying you can't be a Sox fan unless you live in New England!
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lloyd it was max, I'm hoping he just misread my post. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Playing the wall takes experience; while Manny, Rice, Greenwell, & TW were not good OFers, they knew (and or learned) how to play it. Yaz was one of the best LFers ever, so he was good no matter where he played (see the Tom Tresh catch @ YS)
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

How many times have you seen any leftfielder, including Yaz make a leaping catch on a well hit ball that wasn't a can of corn off the monster, the answer is not many...the reason is simple...when you play left at Fenway you play shallow to take away the bloop hits and keep guys from scoring from second on a hard hit singles. The other reason to play shallow, is if a guy hits a missle you play the karrom, make a strong accurate throw to the bag and you can hold him to a single and or make a play on the runner.

Playing left in Fenway is unlike in more tradional venues, you don't have to play no doubles defense, because it's assumed that if the hitter squares up the ball and drives it to left that it's almost a gimme double and the percentage of balls that could be caught vs the amount of singles you take away playing shallow mitigates the few that might be caught. It's a bout risk reward and unless it hits the ladder rarely will a ball of the wall result in a triple.

Yaz who was drafted as SS was a gold glove OFer and would have been playing for any team in any park! What's often overlooked is the guy early in his career had pretty good legs and had a cannon!

Could Crawford have made a play on the ball maybe...but if you consider the risk reward of trying to make the play vs the the net result, holding the guy to a single vs allowing him an extra base the percentages suggest that a guy on first is less likey to score that one on second...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday :  Did John Lackey think C.C. should have caught that ball? We all saw the reaction.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

I'm the first one to say I dont care for Lackeys antics on the mound, but yesterday I didnt think that was toward Crawford,  more against himself, a wall ball that wasn't able to be caught. no hands thrown in the air.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford on Chavez's Single Yesterday : Thanks Lloyd it was max, I'm hoping he just misread my post. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you did say, but I'll tell you what I've noticed.

I live in Virginia, but because of Dwight Evans I became a Red Sox fan in 1978. Stuck with them through that awful disappointment and beyond. Then, after 2004, I began seeing Red Sox caps all over the place. People who couldn't tell you who at gunpoint who Butch Hobson were suddenly claiming to be life-long Red Sox fans.

I doubt you saw that in New England like elsewhere around the country. Not sure if that was your point, but if it was, I'd agree with it.

Oh, and so I'm not ignoring the original point ... that would have been a spectacular catch by Crawford.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yeah it's tough to judge much based on Lackey's reaction albeit I'd like to hear thoughts on the topic

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Dobbs - that happened in Southern CT where I could count other Sox fans on one hand then after 2004 they are all over the place.  In fairness though, it tends to be the little kids.......