Craziest Trade Thought - 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Craziest Trade Thought - 2011

Clay Buchholz for Joakim Soria.

KC might actually be all over it.  With Crow, Holland and Collins they still have a pretty good pen, and they desperately need SP. 

The only reason to do it for Boston is if they do not have faith in Buchholz' back holding up.  But if Bard and Aceves are moving to the rotation, at some point we are going to need someone out there to keep Bobby Jenks from eating Matt Albers.

Then again, maybe this whole "Bard to the rotation" thing is posturing, like it was with Papelbon a few years ago...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Craziest Trade Thought - 2011

They would do it. Soria failed to a degree last year. In fact had he done that in Boston he would have been hung.  He carries a heavy salary, thus he is available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Craziest Trade Thought - 2011:
    [QUOTE]Clay Buchholz for Joakim Soria. KC might actually be all over it.  With Crow, Holland and Collins they still have a pretty good pen, and they desperately need SP.  The only reason to do it for Boston is if they do not have faith in Buchholz' back holding up.  But if Bard and Aceves are moving to the rotation, at some point we are going to need someone out there to keep Bobby Jenks from eating Matt Albers. Then again, maybe this whole "Bard to the rotation" thing is posturing, like it was with Papelbon a few years ago...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I think that giving up Clay Buchholz for Joakim Soria is giving up too much for a closer.  To me, starters are much more valuable than a closer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Too expensive.  Soria would likely require a new contract to approve a deal to Boston, since he has a partial no trade which includes Boston and NYY.  I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be seeking $10M a year based on his past performance.

Not to mention that this creates another hole in the rotation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Like it or not, the season hinges to some degree on Buchholz being able to get back to 2010 form.  No way they can afford to deal him.  Especially not for a closer.  I would rather have Bobby "Midseason Bypass" Jenks close than give up Clay for a closer.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ellsbury and Lowrie for Hanley Ramirez and 6M in cash.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Craziest Trade Thought - 2011:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury and Lowrie for Hanley Ramirez and 6M in cash.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Now that's crazy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

These posts simply never get old!  LOL :)  You must be the life of the party, no matter what the venue???

Can you please regail the uninitiated with your cautionary tales of the Grinch who stole the Reverse Pivot Swing???   PLEASE Uncle Hank! 

Later you can do the nutcracking knuckleballer for the 12 Days of Christmas???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Actually, works well for both markets and both teams.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to Craziest Trade Thought - 2011:
    [QUOTE]Clay Buchholz for Joakim Soria. KC might actually be all over it.  With Crow, Holland and Collins they still have a pretty good pen, and they desperately need SP.  The only reason to do it for Boston is if they do not have faith in Buchholz' back holding up.  But if Bard and Aceves are moving to the rotation, at some point we are going to need someone out there to keep Bobby Jenks from eating Matt Albers. Then again, maybe this whole "Bard to the rotation" thing is posturing, like it was with Papelbon a few years ago...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Craziest and DUMBEST trade proposal, why the fook would the sox do this??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Hard time believing that you think this trade is crazy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, works well for both markets and both teams.

I would'nt trade jake for hanley straight up.  If you add Lowrie you better be adding a pitcher to hanley...maybe annibel or nolasco.  I'll add a bowden or doubront to the deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Craziest Trade Thought - 2011 : I would'nt trade jake for hanley straight up.  If you add Lowrie you better be adding a pitcher to hanley...maybe annibel or nolasco.  I'll add a bowden or doubront to the deal.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

Softy wants Hanley to play LF.  So we'll be trading for a guy-

* that will play an unskilled position we don't need
    * that he's never played before
    * give up a skilled position we do need
    * that had an OPS 216 points less than what we are giving up
    * and we only have to pay an additonal $8M in salary that will now keep us from acquiring an $8M SP

What's not to like?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think Notin is right.

That is the craziest trade thought of 2011.

A team desperate for starters doesn't trade a premier starter for a closer coming off a mediocre year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox are more inclined to do Ells for Hanley than Buch for Soria. I would be more inclined to see Lavarnway for Soria.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Craziest Trade Thought - 2011 : Craziest and DUMBEST trade proposal, why the fook would the sox do this??
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

A lot of it has to do with the ability to understand this sentence from the original post:

"The only reason to do it for Boston is if they do not have faith in Buchholz' back holding up. "