Cuban star Jose Abreau down to 3 teams: Astros,White Sox and Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Cuban star Jose Abreu down to 3 teams: Astros,White Sox and Red Sox

Here's a paragraph and link to read the whole article(and watch a video of him going deep):

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131017&content_id=63066500&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_63066500

Cuban slugger Jose Abreu has narrowed his list of possible destinations to three teams and could sign within the next two weeks, according to multiple industry sources.

The Astros, Red Sox, and White Sox have emerged as the frontrunners to sign the 26-year-old first baseman to a deal expected to be in the $70 million range. The Rangers, Giants, and Marlins were among the teams to express strong interest but are no longer in the running.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Cuban star Jose Abreau down to 3 teams: Astros,White Sox and Red Sox

Here's a link to read about his profile:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/free-agent-profile-jose-dariel-abreu.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

It's being reported tha the Sox are dropping out.  With the money probably going to be around $70mil I think that will do it for the Sox interest.  Personally I like the idea of taking a shot at him but that's a lot of cash for a guy with zero MLB experience....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think he will end up with White Sox.  Now the question is who will the Red Sox bring in to play 1B in 2014?  Middy?  I don't think Sox will keep Naps.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think he will end up with White Sox.  Now the question is who will the Red Sox bring in to play 1B in 2014?  Middy?  I don't think Sox will keep Naps.  

[/QUOTE]

There will be plenty of options out there for 1b, including Napoli. I think Middy stays at 3b.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

dont know why some people think 70 million is too much, considering that it would likely be over 5-6 years. if its true the sox are actually dropping out, i think all red sox fans should be disappointed. He has the ability to be our long term 1B as napoli is too old and his injury concern will become greater as he ages. looking at the free agent market, there is not much out there for 1B. Also, abreu could serve as our future replacement for ortiz at DH as well. Yes we would be taking a chance, but its a chance that is worth it. For some reason the sox tend to avoid international free agents and as a result have missed out on lots of talented players because the were afraid to take the risk. Cespedes, puig, darvish soler etc. I get the whole dice k thing didnt work out so great in the end, but its time to move and man up. we have the money, we have the need. Abreu is not the guy to pass up on. he has big time right handed power and is 26 years old. time to step up ben. We can easily out bid the astros and the white sox who are apparently the frontrunners have dunn and konerko under contract. not sure where they would play abreu. both those guys are 1B/DH guys. We have a spot open with napoli being a fa and the money to spend. Plus we offer the best chance at winning out of the 3 teams. sox need to get this done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Live in Chicago and all signs point to the White Sox. It's in the paper all the time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't know much about this guy , but the reports are that he is a great hitter. Better than Cespedes and Puig in Cuba.  Perhaps the Sox felt that they did not get their money's worth with Dice K .  They seem to have become gun shy and leery with the more expensive foreign free agents.  Could be a big mistake , as there is an awful lot of talent out there. We were not in the running for guys like Chapman and Darvish. There is another very highly rated Japanese pitcher available this year. I think pursuing these guys is a better way to go than trying to improve via trades and the MLB free agents.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya wow i forgot about chapman too, now it looks like jose abreu is signing with the white sox. 6 years, 68 million is whats being reported. that works out to just over 11 mill per season, which is less than what napoli will be making next season. why we passed on abreu is beyond me. napoli is not young and is not our long term solution at 1B. plus ortiz only has one year left on his deal, so we may need a DH as well. this team really needs a middle of the order batt. cant count on ortiz and napoli going forward. As it standings right now, we need a LF power bat, a front of the rotation starter (peavy, lester, lackey and dempster all free agents after next season), ellsbury is a free agent, so many holes. seems dumb to pass up on filling a big hole for just money. now the attention turns to masahiro tanaka, though im sure the sox will shy away from him too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

dont know why some people think 70 million is too much, considering that it would likely be over 5-6 years. if its true the sox are actually dropping out, i think all red sox fans should be disappointed. 

1-On the high side of your estimate, that's $14M.  For $14M, I can get Napoli who generally gets in the .850 area.

2-Not sure why I should be disappointed if we don't get him.  I know nothing about him.  This isn't like speculating on signing Napoli, or trading for Stanton.  I can take an educated guess on the numbers.  We're talking about a guy who supposedly has slow bat speed.  If the scouts say pass on him, that's good enough for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ya wow i forgot about chapman too, now it looks like jose abreu is signing with the white sox. 6 years, 68 million is whats being reported. that works out to just over 11 mill per season, which is less than what napoli will be making next season. why we passed on abreu is beyond me. napoli is not young and is not our long term solution at 1B. plus ortiz only has one year left on his deal, so we may need a DH as well. this team really needs a middle of the order batt. cant count on ortiz and napoli going forward. As it standings right now, we need a LF power bat, a front of the rotation starter (peavy, lester, lackey and dempster all free agents after next season), ellsbury is a free agent, so many holes. seems dumb to pass up on filling a big hole for just money. now the attention turns to masahiro tanaka, though im sure the sox will shy away from him too.

[/QUOTE]

I expect the Yankees to get in on Tanaka. The posting fee does not count toward the luxury tax.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

you can get napoli for 14 mill, but napoli is older, strikes out a ton, and is very streaky. not to mention his hip problem. we have no 1B prospects in the minors right now. not much likely to be on the trade market either and if we are going to trade for a big bat, then the only guy to get is giancarlo stanton. now one scenario that could unfold is napoli gets signed for one more year and assuming garin checcini continues to progress, he takes over at 3B next season and middy moves to 1B. That being said, we still need middle of the order bats. ortiz is getting old and has one year left and napoli is not a consistant enough hitter to be deemed a middle of the order bat. he is more of a 5 hole hitter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you can get napoli for 14 mill, but napoli is older, strikes out a ton, and is very streaky. not to mention his hip problem. we have no 1B prospects in the minors right now. not much likely to be on the trade market either and if we are going to trade for a big bat, then the only guy to get is giancarlo stanton. now one scenario that could unfold is napoli gets signed for one more year and assuming garin checcini continues to progress, he takes over at 3B next season and middy moves to 1B. That being said, we still need middle of the order bats. ortiz is getting old and has one year left and napoli is not a consistant enough hitter to be deemed a middle of the order bat. he is more of a 5 hole hitter. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if Abreu is in the MLB next year, I'd bet that Napoli has a higher OPS than him.  And even if he isn't consistent, which doesn't bother me much, you don't know if Abreu is consistent either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

White Sox, six years 68 million.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Smart move by the White Sox.  Konerko is popular, but is a free agent, 37 years old, and contemplating retirement.  With Adam Dunn on board for another year, they don't even have  vacant DH role.

That team still has quite a few holes to fill, and very little to fill them with.  But this was a good addition to a team who has some surprising quality and depth in their rotation...