Cubs Offer Sveum Managers Job

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Cubs Offer Sveum Managers Job

Looks like Theo is taking a preemptive shot at the Red Sox.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/sveum-frontrunner-for-cubs-managerial-opening.html

Cubs Offer Dale Sveum Position As Manager

10:10pm: The Cubs have offered Sveum the job as manager, tweets Heyman. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports notes (via Twitter) that the Red Sox, who are also considering Sveum, haven't made him an official offer.

10:03pm: Mike Maddux will most likely drop out of the running for the Cubs managerial opening due to family matters, tweets MLB.com's Carrie Muskat. As such, all signs are pointing to Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum for the job, as Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets.

Sveum is the only candidate the Cubs have interviewed twice in person so far, and Heyman notes (on Twitter) that Larry Lucchino's comments about potentially expanding the Red Sox managerial search could be another indication that Sveum will end up on the Cubs' bench in 2012.

In addition to Sveum and Maddux, the Cubs are also considering Pete Mackanin, DeMarlo Hale, and Sandy Alomar Jr.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Cubs Offer Sveum Managers Job

In Response to Cubs Offer Sveum Managers Job:
    [QUOTE]Looks like Theo is taking a preemptive shot at the Red Sox. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/sveum-frontrunner-for-cubs-managerial-opening.html Cubs Offer Dale Sveum Position As Manager By Luke Adams [November 16, 2011 at 10:10pm CST] 10:10pm: The Cubs have offered Sveum the job as manager, tweets Heyman. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports notes (via Twitter ) that the Red Sox, who are also considering Sveum, haven't made him an official offer. 10:03pm: Mike Maddux will most likely drop out of the running for the Cubs managerial opening due to family matters, tweets MLB.com's Carrie Muskat . As such, all signs are pointing to Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum for the job, as Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets . Sveum is the only candidate the Cubs have interviewed twice in person so far, and Heyman notes (on Twitter ) that Larry Lucchino's comments about potentially expanding the Red Sox managerial search could be another indication that Sveum will end up on the Cubs' bench in 2012. In addition to Sveum and Maddux, the Cubs are also considering Pete Mackanin, DeMarlo Hale, and Sandy Alomar Jr.
    Posted by stillgridlocked[/QUOTE]

Can you say, Bobby V.?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Red Sox have a second interview with Sveum, and now he's offered the position as Cubs manager? It appears the Cubs saw the interest the Sox had, and decided to offer him the position to keep him from the Sox. This is interesting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Saluda. Show Saluda's posts

Earl Weaver is tanned, rested and ready.. make the call

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: Cubs Offer Sveum Managers Job:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox have a second interview with Sveum, and now he's offered the position as Cubs manager? It appears the Cubs saw the interest the Sox had, and decided to offer him the position to keep him from the Sox. This is interesting.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

That funny!! What a steal... Thays why the Brewers turned him down twice to give sox a chance to sign him? Get real !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Who says Ben hasn't set Theo up to think Sveum is the guy we wanted when he may have been the second or third guy we wanted--now we interview Pena and Martinez who are the two candidates Ben and management didn't interview that many on the board wondered why we weren't interviewing them. 

A little taste of Theo's own medicine. Now we have the entire universe available to us with no timetable. This will drive Theo and the scribes crazy. 

Ben can head to the DR to see the Cuban outfielder Friday--maybe arrange a meeting with Pena and Martinez off site--they both have been to Boston enough.

Great job Ben and all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I also find it of interest that if offered, that Sveum did not accept yet, waiting on the Sox. Lets face it, Sox are a tweak here and there from winning the WS, while the Cubs most likely are a last place team. 
    One would imagine, Henry might not have liked what he heard at lunch, and wants to hear from more candidates. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Who says Ben hasn't set Theo up to think Sveum is the guy we wanted when he may have been the second or third guy we wanted--now we interview Pena and Martinez who are the two candidates Ben and management didn't interview that many on the board wondered why we weren't interviewing them.  A little taste of Theo's own medicine. Now we have the entire universe available to us with no timetable. This will drive Theo and the scribes crazy.  Ben can head to the DR to see the Cuban outfielder Friday--maybe arrange a meeting with Pena and Martinez off site--they both have been to Boston enough. Great job Ben and all.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Wow. How did you happen to come up with that one? Do you really think there is gamesmanship going on between the Cubs and Red Sox over who to hire as manager? If that is the case, it could not be more childish.
    I think you are way off base (pardon the pun).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Alibi, after what we've endured re. the Theo compensation and of course interviewing the same candidates, which is somewhat understandable, since Ben and Theo were trying to come up with a list before he left for the Cubs--as far-fetched as it may sound to you it seems perfectly realistic that Theo would love to stick it to JH, TW and of course LL before the last salvo.

I've been accused of being "off base" on several occasions. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Alibi, after what we've endured re. the Theo compensation and of course interviewing the same candidates, which is somewhat understandable, since Ben and Theo were trying to come up with a list before he left for the Cubs--as far-fetched as it may sound to you it seems perfectly realistic that Theo would love to stick it to JH, TW and of course LL before the last salvo. I've been accused of being "off base" on several occasions. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Well said. Remember, Ben and Theo could be fast friends still...that being said? Hiring a business man is one thing. Trusting him? Something very different. Snakes.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNPats76. Show SoxNPats76's posts

Would rather have Dave Martinez.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Someone please tell me why we should bemoan the loss if indeed he signs with the Cubs? If Epstein is hiring him to keep him away from the Sox vs hiring the best guy for the Cub's job. Then it shouldn't take long for him to be on the outside looking in...

Both teams today are starkly different and the profile of the manager needed is much different...the Cubs are in a serious rebuild mode. Thus they need to hire a manager who is ready to get his hat handed to him for the next 2 or 3 years. Often times that is a guy that's on the other side or one that's on his way up. The Sox are a team in need of a guy that can step in and manage a contender one that has the communiaction skills to hold the media at bay and manage the mulitple egos of a team ladden with talant. In my mind there not the same guy...Epstein needs to hire a sacrificail lamb, the Sox need a guy that is ready for prime time...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

I would rather see the RS take all the time they need and get the hire right, then to rush into something and get the wrong person, I personally don't think Sveum is the nab for the job, hell, he could not even handle being a 3rd base coach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather see the RS take all the time they need and get the hire right, then to rush into something and get the wrong person, I personally don't think Sveum is the nab for the job, hell, he could not even handle being a 3rd base coach.
    Posted by sinjin5000[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about Sveum.  He was a terrible third base coach, and I have trouble shaking that memory.  But, manager is a very different job description and skills requirement than 3rd base coach.  And i don't claim to know Dale's managerial skill set.  And, truth be told, I thought Terry Francona was a terrible hire in the winter of 03-04.  I was entirely wrong about that.  So, I withhold judgement about any of these candidates, good or bad, this time around.

That being said, I also feel very comforted that the Sox are taking the time to get this decision right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FOX Sports columnist Ken Rosenthal's take on the Red Sox managerial search:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Boston-Red-Sox-Theo-Epstein-Terry-Francona-managerial-search-not-going-according-to-plan-111611

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Does anybody think that Sveum exhibited good judgment as a 3rd base coach. That is the experience that we have to  evaluate him by. Bobby Valentine is a joke. Did everybody see him in glasses and a wig sitting in the dugout after he had been trown out of the game? Is this really who we want as our "leader"? I do not believe that the Sox have found the answer yet. If they have, I vote for Torey Lovullo of the existing candidates. I think Ryne Sandburg is someone to look at, and there are others who merit consideration. The Sox do not need to jump too quickly. You don't want to get a "players" manager (a la Sandy Alomar) that will replicate our recent troubles. I think we need a manager with modern techniques, and a stake in baseball's history, for a full and clear understanding of the team's needs. The search has only just begun. Theo, and the Cub fans, will be disappointed by Sveum. He is this year's Grady Little.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cubs Offer Sveum Managers Job : That funny!! What a steal... Thays why the Brewers turned him down twice to give sox a chance to sign him? Get real !!!
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was basing that on what the Cubs perceived to be their interest. I could be wrong, but I find the timing of those two events interesting. So why don't you "get real"?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Does anybody think that Sveum exhibited good judgment as a 3rd base coach. That is the experience that we have to  evaluate him by. Bobby Valentine is a joke. Did everybody see him in glasses and a wig sitting in the dugout after he had been trown out of the game? Is this really who we want as our "leader"? I do not believe that the Sox have found the answer yet. If they have, I vote for Torey Lovullo of the existing candidates. I think Ryne Sandburg is someone to look at, and there are others who merit consideration. The Sox do not need to jump too quickly. You don't want to get a "players" manager (a la Sandy Alomar) that will replicate our recent troubles. I think we need a manager with modern techniques, and a stake in baseball's history, for a full and clear understanding of the team's needs. The search has only just begun. Theo, and the Cub fans, will be disappointed by Sveum. He is this year's Grady Little.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

I completely agree about Valentine. The whole disguise thing is a little off to me. In his mind, he thought that was a clever idea. That says a lot about his thought processes. IMO

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

When it comes to picking managers, it's better to be deliberate, especially for this post. I heard Jim Fregosi's name a few weeks ago. He's old school, who would be unfazed by the NE media, the fan base, ownership, or any prima donnas in the clubhouse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Valentine has been out of coaching for a few years and may have learned some things in the meantime that will make him an even better manager.

Sometimes the best comes to those who wait. 

Larry has been around the game a long time--he's looking to put the best product on the field. Between LL and BC things will be fine.