Cubs ready to chase Boston's Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Cubs ready to chase Boston's Ellsbury

07:09 AM ET 05.13 | Though talk of a sell-off had cropped up in Chicago, again, and yet the Cubs may be poised to spend this offseason. [Next] winter might be the time for Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to add more impact players in free agency as they enter Year Three of their regime. Several major league sources, including an American League front-office executive told me [Sunday] that they fully expect the Cubs to be involved with some of the top free agents at the conclusion of this season, with Boston Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury possibly at the top of their wish list. In addition, the 2015 free agent class is not loaded with star quality players, leading to industry speculation that Epstein and Hoyer could look to add a couple of impact players.

CSN Chicago

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Re: Cubs ready to chase Boston's Ellsbury

All they will get is a sandwich pick if the Cubs sign him.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:

All they will get is a sandwich pick if the Cubs sign him.

Is that contingent on a QO?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

5 years and 223 posts.... how is that possible?

less is more?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

less is more?

easy enough to do if you come here to read like I do.Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

unless Ellsbury turns it on soon they can have him and the sox can re-allocate the funds somewhere else

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

he's not a loser like you that posts here every hour of every day! He has a life!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

07:09 AM ET 05.13 | Though talk of a sell-off had cropped up in Chicago, again, and yet the Cubs may be poised to spend this offseason. [Next] winter might be the time for Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to add more impact players in free agency as they enter Year Three of their regime. Several major league sources, including an American League front-office executive told me [Sunday] that they fully expect the Cubs to be involved with some of the top free agents at the conclusion of this season, with Boston Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury possibly at the top of their wish list. In addition, the 2015 free agent class is not loaded with star quality players, leading to industry speculation that Epstein and Hoyer could look to add a couple of impact players.

CSN Chicago

I said this a long time ago and will repeat it.  As long as Theo is in charge of the Cubs they won't become a contender.  The Cubbies are much different than the 2003 club he inherited as Francona will also learn with the Indians. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to taz1956's comment:

I like to read too. not make redundant posts like here on this board do

less is more?

easy enough to do if you come here to read like I do.Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Why wait Theo/Ben work something out now. ShaVic can move to CF and Nava to RF with Gomes and Carp in LF

Vic, Pedroia, Ortiz, Nap, Nava, WMB, Salty, Gomes and Drew.

Get two real good prospects.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Why wait Theo/Ben work something out now. ShaVic can move to CF and Nava to RF with Gomes and Carp in LF

Why would the last-place Chicago Cubs trade "two real good prospects" for 4+ months of an outfielder who has posted a .257/.311/.365/.676 line this season in a league-high 180 plate appearances as he approaches his 30th birthday?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Why would the last-place Chicago Cubs trade "two real good prospects" for 4+ months of an outfielder who has posted a .257/.311/.365/.676 line this season in a league-high 180 plate appearances as he approaches his 30th birthday?

Was just thinking the same thing. They'll wait until November when they only have to spend money and not give up prospects.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I live by Chicago so I know the Cubs don't have two good prospects.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

Was just thinking the same thing. They'll wait until November when they only have to spend money and not give up prospects.

Theo will overpay for Ellsbury just like he does for all FAs.  What a mistake that will be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I live by Chicago so I know the Cubs don't have two good prospects.

Baseball America ranked three Cub prospects among the top 34 on its annual Top 100 prospect list this year:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/02/2013-top-100-prospects-list/

BA ranked a fourth Cub prospect 32th the previous year:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2012/2612998.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It would give the Cubs a chance to check him out and decide what they are willing to pay for him in FA.

The grass may look a lot greener in Wrigley and Ells might decide he likes playing for Theo again. If they ask for two and get one it may be better than paying him his hefty salary and taking a draft pick we won't see for 5 years. Someone else brought up the Cubs perhaps there is another team willing to make a deal.

I would like to see ShaVic  in CF, Nava in RF and Gomes and Carp in LF for the next couple of months--at least to the deadline.

It would free up a 40 man slot to perhaps  elevate Brentz or Haxelbaker; I like both of those kids.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It would give the Cubs a chance to check him out and decide what they are willing to pay for him in FA.

When the season ends. We don't own Jacoby and so don't "give  a chance"  for anything.

All we'll have to show for Jacoby is a sandwich pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I feel so bad for Steve Bartman.   At least Bill Buckner feels better because the Red Sox won it in 2004 and again in 2007.   

I told a friend of mine (who is a Cubs fan) that it was the bullpen's fault for giving up eight runs in that inning.  He was a bit upset.   LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The grass may look a lot greener in Wrigley and Ells might decide he likes playing for Theo again. If they ask for two and get one it may be better than paying him his hefty salary and taking a draft pick we won't see for 5 years. Someone else brought up the Cubs perhaps there is another team willing to make a deal.

I would like to see ShaVic  in CF, Nava in RF and Gomes and Carp in LF for the next couple of months--at least to the deadline.

It would free up a 40 man slot to perhaps  elevate Brentz or Haxelbaker; I like both of those kids.

I would like to see ShaVic in Cf , Nava in RF and Gomes and Carp in LF for the next couple of months.  You would like to see it , but it would be one of the worst outfields in the majors. Also , Brentz and Hazelbaker have not indicated that they will be anything special.  We need to do better than that. Ellsbury is still better than any of the names you listed. And , Bradley is still potentially better than them.  If you want to field a bunch of mediocre players , you will get a mediocre team. A mediocre team with a very high payroll. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Yanks played two last night---keep in mind the Yanks are in  1 st place in the East last I read. A ton of injuries  but Pitching, Def and timely hitting have brought them to the top.

Their OF Gm.1----Ichiro---LF, Gard--CF,  Boesch--RF ( Ich one of the best all around players still).

OF Gm. 2--Wells--LF, Gard--CF, Ben Francisco---RF. (Wells written off still hits/fields).

Common thread: Good defenders--Girardi played the L/R platoon except for the one guy, Gard that can cover the ground in CF.

Ells has the potential to be one of the best OF'ders in the game--you don't win games on Potential you win with Results. 

Put Ells on the market or bench him for 3-4 games--I would bet he would come back with some fire in his belly. I'm not 100% sure but I think Ells has started every game in CF. Vic is a pretty good CF and has an amazingly strong and accurate arm

JBJ-was on the DL, last I looked. Brentz had 24 RBI's at last check, Iggy continues his free fall at .217. Hazelbaker is not a bad player--if you haven't seen Brentz or Hazel --watch them--they have some talent.