Current career numbers...Red Sox lineup vs Rays Starters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Current career numbers...Red Sox lineup vs Rays Starters

Thought it would make for some good conversation. Below is the career totals of the current Red Sox roster vs the Rays projected starters for 2014. For those that want to look at how each of our hitters have fared and love to look at splits and project lineups. I included the link for each pitcher below. 

So if you're John Farrel who hits and who sits....

David Price: Slash line .236/.291/.377/.668

AB: 220 

HR: 6

RBI: 17

K: 60

BB: 16

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28958/david-price

Matt Moore: Slash line .153/.197/.250/447

AB: 72

HR: 1

RBI: 6

K: 19

BB: 4

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/31099/matt-moore

Alex Cobb: Slash line .273/385/352/737

AB: 88

HR: 0

RBI: 15

K: 16

BB: 14

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/31086/alex-cobb

Archer: Slash line .226/375/323/698

AB:31

HR: 1

RBI: 7

K: 9

BB: 8

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/31003/chris-archer

* Hellickson: slash line .197/.261/.378/.639

AB: 127

HR: 6

RBI: 11

K:31

BB:11

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/30506/jeremy-hellickson

*projected to return June 1st.....

*Jeff Niemann: Slash line .311/.386/492/.878

AB: 61

HR: 2

RBI: 13 

K: 11

BB: 7

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6243/jeff-niemann

*Free agent: not sure yet what his status is but is projected to be ready to pitch by the All Star break?

Last report had him returning to Tampa 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Current career numbers...Red Sox lineup vs Rays Starters

Son,  Dad & I ran this by Ben & J F this morning,  they both said "much to early for this conversation"  !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Son,  Dad & I ran this by Ben & J F this morning,  they both said "much to early for this conversation"  !!!

[/QUOTE]

I figured no one would bite it's a lot easier to state that Nava can't hit lefties based on his OPS vs Carp and leave it at that without having to qualify it.....

As my dad would say...nothing ventured, nothing gained. As Yogi would say it's getting late early.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I figured no one would bite it's a lot easier to state that Nava can't hit lefties based on his OPS vs Carp and leave it at that without having to qualify it.....

As my dad would say...nothing ventured, nothing gained. As Yogi would say it's getting late early.

[/QUOTE]CoolMoney MouthLaughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]CoolMoney MouthLaughing

[/QUOTE]

Pictures speak a thousand words.....Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The Rays have arguably the best rotation in the AL.  They will be tough regardless of what line up Farrell puts out there.  No doubt Farrell will sit some guys who have bad splits against lefties, which he should. 

Outside of that, I am not a fan of dropping guys in the lineup based on who is pitching.  I think there is more to gain from having day to day consistency in the line up and also more to gain from alternating R-L-R-L than there is to gain from switching the spots of 2 batters in the line up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Rays have arguably the best rotation in the AL.  They will be tough regardless of what line up Farrell puts out there.  No doubt Farrell will sit some guys who have bad splits against lefties, which he should. 

Outside of that, I am not a fan of dropping guys in the lineup based on who is pitching.  I think there is more to gain from having day to day consistency in the line up and also more to gain from alternating R-L-R-L than there is to gain from switching the spots of 2 batters in the line up.

[/QUOTE]

Kimmi,

As a rule most managers would sit a guy who's struggles to see the ball against a particular pitcher. That said, you still have to bat 9 guys and depending on the status of the roster and the players themselves there are times when exceptions are made. 

I too am a proponant of a set lineup and if the players fit the profille, I see a lot of strategic advantage with L-R alternating lineup too...the biggest gain from alternating R-L-R is late in close games it forces the opposing manger to either burn through his pen trying to play the percentages or allow for an unfavorable matchup.

My ideal lineup is broken into 3rds; get em on, get em over, get em in.....

speed and OB guys in the 1-2-3 holes...

run producing power bats 4-5-6

OB guys with pop....7-8-9

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is not just about the stats of the Rays pitchers against the RS. It is also about the RS pitching stats against the Rays. The RS were 12-7 versus the Rays last year. Go to the playoffs and look at how the RS beat the top 3 above and only Helickson pitched a good game and Moore got creamed.

Those that take the steady approach versus that move players around.

I looked at the Rays

The Rays used 141 different lineups last years. Some due to injury but Joe is a proponent of playing hot guys even if they have not hit against a pitcher before. He is also about getting L vs. R and R vs L.

Both work but not all the time. He will use Lobaton vs R and Molina vs L. IMHO he loses in this switch because Molina is a MUCH better in game player and extra coach on the field than Lobaton is. But it has worked for Joe on many occasions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

It is not just about the stats of the Rays pitchers against the RS. It is also about the RS pitching stats against the Rays. The RS were 12-7 versus the Rays last year. Go to the playoffs and look at how the RS beat the top 3 above and only Helickson pitched a good game and Moore got creamed.

Those that take the steady approach versus that move players around.

I looked at the Rays

The Rays used 141 different lineups last years. Some due to injury but Joe is a proponent of playing hot guys even if they have not hit against a pitcher before. He is also about getting L vs. R and R vs L.

Both work but not all the time. He will use Lobaton vs R and Molina vs L. IMHO he loses in this switch because Molina is a MUCH better in game player and extra coach on the field than Lobaton is. But it has worked for Joe on many occasions.

Jim,

The intent of this thread was not to compare the Red Sox ability to compete with the Rays. As you pointed out, our record last year vs the Rays and results of the ALCS proved that. Rather, to challenge those among us who like to champion platooning players and use splits and OPS v lefties and righties to frame thier arguments with little regard for how each hitter emassed their statistic..

To suggest that Mike Carp hit's lefties better than Nava or Gomes based on his career OPS V lefties and thus should be in the lineup is flawed, due in part to Carp having never faced David Price or Matt Moore. A couple of the tougher lefty starters in the game. While both Gomes and Nava have done so more than 20 times each with little success...Which has a cause an effect on their season and career splits v lefties. Dustin Pedrioa's splits v righties would improve if he never had to face Verlander, who's 1 for 18, hitting .056 lifetime...

While I respect that an argument could be made that based on Nava's stats vs Price, that sitting him and playing Carp has merit, there's no statistical sample to use to emphatically state he'd fare much better (Couldn't do much worse). To be clear my intent is not to disparage Carp's contribution to the success of the team nor his ability. however i will challenge those the use career numbers or season splits without respect to the sample size and quality of whom each faced to frame thier argument.

Split and slash lines are a good measure of a players ability to be a productive hitter. They don't tell the whole story....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Here's our stats vs the Yankees....

Sabathia: Slash line .253/.327/.426/.753

AB: 296

HR: 11

RBi: 41

K: 84

BB: 29

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/4553/teamId/2/cc-sabathia

Kuroda: Slash Line .303/.364/.434/.798

AB: 175

HR: 3

RBI: 14

K: 33

BB: 12

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28950/teamId/2/hiroki-kuroda

Nova: Slash Line .282/.394/.462/.855

AB: 78

HR: 3

RBI: 14 

K: 9

BB: 14

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/30400/teamId/2/ivan-nova

Tanaka?

Phelps: Slash line .281/ .378/.563/.941

AB: 32

HR: 2

RBI: 5

K: 4

BB: 4

Pineda: Slash Line .231/.286/.308/.593

AB: 13

HR: 

RBI: 

K: 2

BB: 2 

End of the day the numbers above are telling, it's also clear that

Tanaka's ability to be a top of the rotarion starter could prove to be the difference....

IF...Pineda can make the cut and hold down the 5th spot could prove to be huge too...