Dad's favorites

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Dad's favorites

Afternoon all..2004's "your favorite player" thread got me to thinking about watching  games with my Dad..i'm pretty sure we all got  our love of the games from our Dads..i just wanted to see if you guys remember who the guy(s) your Dad always talked up were...my Dad's guys were Mays, Seaver and Clemente...  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Dad's favorites

Believe it or not my dad didn't watch much sports. He read the paper and watched the News. Spent much of the rest of his time working, at home or on the job. The only sports I remember him watching was Golf, Bowling and Stock car racing.

I doubt my father even knew who Roberto Clemente was. He did like to make fun of some guy named Bo Belinsky, he found the name humourous for some reason. I never got to ask him why he remembered that name and used to love to say it.

I learned a lot of things from my dad, nothing of it had anything to do with baseball...except maybe that it was just a game, not anything to get mad about....but I was mad anyway, in 1975 when Armbrister of the Reds interefered with Fisk and cost us the Series!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Dad's favorites:
    [QUOTE]Believe it or not my dad didn't watch much sports. He read the paper and watched the News. Spent much of the rest of his time working, at home or on the job. The only sports I remember him watching was Golf, Bowling and Stock car racing. I doubt my father even knew who Roberto Clemente was. He did like to make fun of some guy named Bo Belinsky, he found the name humourous for some reason. I never got to ask him why he remembered that name and used to love to say it. I learned a lot of things from my dad, nothing of it had anything to do with baseball...except maybe that it was just a game, not anything to get mad about....but I was mad anyway, in 1975 when Armbrister of the Reds interefered with Fisk and cost us the Series!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]no doubt lessons learned...thanks Zill..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

My dad said the best 2 Players he ever saw were Mays and Clemente

And he introduced me to Seaver and Yaz and today he has a strong attachment to Youkilis although he also speaks very highly of Cano believe it or not.....Honorable mention would have to go to Harvey Kuenn who I was told was very consistent at the dish and had a lot of "multi-hit" games....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My Dad like Ted Williams and Dominic DiMaggio from the older teams and Tony C. and Rico Petrocelli later on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

ted williams

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You should save this for next month

Today should be mom's favorites........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]You should save this for next month Today should be mom's favorites........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]lol...AM, i actually did think about that...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

could always revisit

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Your thread got me thinking about Bill-806, thanks a lot!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Believe it or not my dad didn't watch much sports. He read the paper and watched the News. Spent much of the rest of his time working, at home or on the job. The only sports I remember him watching was Golf, Bowling and Stock car racing. I doubt my father even knew who Roberto Clemente was. He did like to make fun of some guy named Bo Belinsky, he found the name humourous for some reason. I never got to ask him why he remembered that name and used to love to say it. I learned a lot of things from my dad, nothing of it had anything to do with baseball...except maybe that it was just a game, not anything to get mad about....but I was mad anyway, in 1975 when Armbrister of the Reds interefered with Fisk and cost us the Series!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
     Ditto here- dad didn't know Ted from Mickey, but Mom loved Bill Monboquette...."Mombo's pitching today" she would say, and keep score of the games while I was in school....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Dad's favorites:
    [QUOTE]Afternoon all..2004's "your favorite player" thread got me to thinking about watching  games with my Dad..i'm pretty sure we all got  our love of the games from our Dads..i just wanted to see if you guys remember who the guy(s) your Dad always talked up were...my Dad's guys were Mays, Seaver and Clemente...  
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Dad passed two years ago ... and his favorite player at the time was Justin Pedroia!  We didn't get to watch many games together, living hundreds of miles apart, but the last one we did see was a game in which he had just finished extoling Pedey's vigor and effort for his size ... just as he came to bat.  Pedey responded with a shot into the stands!  It seemed almost custome-made.  It was a great moment to share. I am his only son that enjoys baseball, so it was special. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Dad's favorites : Dad passed two years ago ... and his favorite player at the time was Justin Pedroia!  We didn't get to watch many games together, living hundreds of miles apart, but the last one we did see was a game in which he had just finished extoling Pedey's vigor and effort for his size ... just as he came to bat.  Pedey responded with a shot into the stands!  It seemed almost custome-made.  It was a great moment to share. I am his only son that enjoys baseball, so it was special. 
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Justin Pedroia? Who's that, Pedey's dad?

Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Dad's favorites:
    [QUOTE]Afternoon all..2004's "your favorite player" thread got me to thinking about watching  games with my Dad..i'm pretty sure we all got  our love of the games from our Dads..i just wanted to see if you guys remember who the guy(s) your Dad always talked up were...my Dad's guys were Mays, Seaver and Clemente...  
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

My dad passed in 06 jete but I remember almost every Sox game he took me to.  It was guys like Yaz, Rico, Tiant, Ted W. and Tony C. he talked about often.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dad's favorites : Justin Pedroia? Who's that, Pedey's dad?
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

:o)  The famous fickle finger in the ear strikes again ... is the no end to these mistakes I make???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

To Spacepapa, there is Sandy Koufax and then everyone else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

My father didn't and still doesn't like baseball, but he comes from that age group (born 1950) that thinks Mickey Mantle was baseball.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Dad's favorites : Dad passed two years ago ... and his favorite player at the time was Justin Pedroia!  We didn't get to watch many games together, living hundreds of miles apart, but the last one we did see was a game in which he had just finished extoling Pedey's vigor and effort for his size ... just as he came to bat.  Pedey responded with a shot into the stands!  It seemed almost custome-made.  It was a great moment to share. I am his only son that enjoys baseball, so it was special. 
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Nice story Yaz!

I agree this thread should be about mom's favorite player ;0)

My mom loved Carl Yaz mostly, I think, because her parents came from Poland LOL.

She wasn't much of a sports fan but in 1967, the year of the Yaz, the impossible dream year, she was all in!!!!

Even though dad was an avid sports fan and lived and breath the sox I don't remember him talking about any one player.  I think he was more of a team guy.  When I was a young kid I remember him singing a silly song he made up about Monbouquette. Maybe he liked him or maybe he just liked his name!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dad's favorites : Nice story Yaz! I agree this thread should be about mom's favorite player ;0) My mom loved Carl Yaz mostly, I think, because her parents came from Poland LOL. she wasn't much of a sports fan but in 1967, the year of the Yaz, the impossible dream year, she was all in!!!!
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

My mom didn't care for baseball much.  but she did think Harold Baines was a real cutey.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dad's favorites : My mom didn't care for baseball much.  but she did think Harold Baines was a real cutey.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I had a crush on gentleman Jim, and Derrick Sanderson of the Bruins.  These things are important to a teenage girl LOL.

I remember when my dad first took me to games the players seemed like old men, in my teen years they were cute and now many of them are young enough to be my sons.  Time does fly!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dad's favorites : Nice story Yaz! I agree this thread should be about mom's favorite player ;0) My mom loved Carl Yaz mostly, I think, because her parents came from Poland LOL. She wasn't much of a sports fan but in 1967, the year of the Yaz, the impossible dream year, she was all in!!!! Even though dad was an avid sports fan and lived and breath the sox I don't remember him talking about any one player.  I think he was more of a team guy.  When I was a young kid I remember him singing a silly song he made up about Monbouquette. Maybe he liked him or maybe he just liked his name!
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

:o)  It does sorta strike home things tie together. 

Dad also was a potato farmer as a kid.  (Yaz's dad was, too, as you prolly know.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

My late father's favorite player was Jim Rice. 

When I was a kid, my favorite player was Roger Clemens.  But then in 1997, Clemens decided to pack his bags and head over to Toronto (of all teams). 
    To make matters worse, in 1999, he went to the Yankees.