Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

I realize it is popular to say that Ellasbury will be old in 5 years - but victorino is already 33 and has had lots of injuries.

The sox cannot stand pat with the OF and hope that JBJ over achieves

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Don't we already have a pretty good second baseman?

Lloyd, this is no time for reason! Tongue Out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i want to throw up

[/QUOTE]

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no way to spin this as "no big deal"

It's a big deal.  Regardlesss of the money - the sox now have a huge hole in OF and the Yankees now have a great CF.

Remember when sox tried to sign Bernie williams?  It never happens that way.  It's a one way street from Boston to NYY

[/QUOTE]

I've always said that. It really is a one way street.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i want to throw up

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE] let er rip :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

F it.....let's sign Cano, put him at third and move Middlebrooks to first.

[/QUOTE]

If only! THAT would be hilarious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

[QUOTE]

Don't we already have a pretty good second baseman?

[/QUOTE]

Lloyd, this is no time for reason! Tongue Out

[/QUOTE] LOL!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo LF

Victorino RF

Pedrioa 2B

Ortiz DH

XB.  SS

Nava 1B

Middlebrooks3B

AJ  C

Jackie Bradley CF

gomes as 4 th of  

would that fit the payroll 

[/QUOTE]

If they sign Choo for 100M+ they will have a very expensive OF'er with questionable defense and cant hit LHP. Granted his numbers vs RHP is good enough to carry him, but his career 615OPS vs LHP is scary. At least Jake had more balanced splits, plays much better D, and is better on the bases. Still not worth the $$ for either of them though.

Now, If Choo came at around 4/60, Im all in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Have thoroughly enjoyed watching Ellsbury play for 7 yrs in boston and wish him the best.  Don't know how anyone can fault him for signing a fat multi-yr contract- even if it is with arch rival.  Lucchino talked about pitfalls of falling in love with veteran players..well that goes for the player's perspective as well.  Ells probably would have liked for Red Sox to be winning bid but they weren't.  Don't kid yourselves- nobody here would have said no to that contract.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have thoroughly enjoyed watching Ellsbury play for 7 yrs in boston and wish him the best.  Don't know how anyone can fault him for signing a fat multi-yr contract- even if it is with arch rival.  Lucchino talked about pitfalls of falling in love with veteran players..well that goes for the player's perspective as well.  Ells probably would have liked for Red Sox to be winning bid but they weren't.  Don't kid yourselves- nobody here would have said no to that contract.  

[/QUOTE] hey mjr!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i want to throw up

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE] let er rip :-)

[/QUOTE]

LOL Jete. When I saw the Yankees trending on Twitter, I knew I wasn't going to like it. This NEVER crossed my mind. I'm livid. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've gotta say, I was warned about this. 

I was with my son at a Sox game late in the year and found myself sitting near a guy who works for NESN.  He and I were talking about FA's - who'd go and who wouldn't - and the topic came around to Ellsbury.  When I said I thought Ellsbury might take a hometown discount the NESN guy said that wouldn't happen.  He said that Ells is strictly after the money and that he'd go wherever the money is and not even look back. 

Looks like he was right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

now patiently waiting for softy to claim a finder's fee Sealed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

The Yankees must love the Sox since they keep taking their players. I hope JBJ has an awesome year, and we just laugh at Ellsbury in New York. Hope he doesn't trip over a cotton ball and wind up out the entire season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I bring a BIG boston sports fan with the Bruins,Pats , Sox . I went over on some of the yankee boards to see what they are saying, one of the posters on here said it best. You think they signed Babe Ruth. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Well, can't say I'm not very disappointed, but you certainly can't blame Ells for taking this deal.  in fact, he'd be absolutely out of his mind not to take this deal!!!!!!!

let's face it.  Most of have agreed that the Sox would be crazy to even go 20M / year for 6 years.  Those of us who know the market have agreed he's worth no more than 18.5 / yr for 6 years @ 108.30M.  For Ells to turn down roughly $45 Million, we'd all agree would be sheer lunacy.  So enough with the turncoat rhetoric.  GOOD ON HIM!!!!!  He got what he's worth & a whole lot more.......  Boras is an A-howl, but he's a brilliant AH!  I would have seriously considered balking at, or simply conceding the walk if bumped to 20M / 6yr @ 120M, so the Yankees really went all out, & a whole hell of a lot more.

Very tough loss though!!!!!!  Huge loss for anybody who loves the Sox, & has an ounce of smarts to understand all he brings to the game.  We may well be watching a perennial all star, & future HOF be hijacked by the hated Yankees.  It would have been foolish to even get close to a bidding war.  

Well, now it's time for JBJ to grow up, & man up REAL FAST!  I certainly hope he's up for the challenge, but I fear he's a good year away from being a good option, let alone coming close to filling Ells' shoes!  Let's give it a few hours to sink in, then go all in behind this kid!!!  Sink or swim, I hope the Sox go with him, & live with the growing pains!  Might be tough to watch for a while, but it may pay big dividends.  Perhaps add one lower second tier OF'r as insurance, but keep our money in pitching!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

The Yankees must love the Sox since they keep taking their players. I hope JBJ has an awesome year, and we just laugh at Ellsbury in New York. Hope he doesn't trip over a cotton ball and wind up out the entire season.

[/QUOTE] don't worry Kim, the Yanks have no plans on signing Adrian Beltre 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Prediction: Six or seven years from now, Jackie Bradley Jr will sign with the Yankees.

[/QUOTE]

I hope he turns out to be that good.  Sox will benefit for hia good years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Maybe we should re-sign Beltre and have him chase Ellsbury when he's on the bases. lol

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've gotta say, I was warned about this. 

I was with my son at a Sox game late in the year and found myself sitting near a guy who works for NESN.  He and I were talking about FA's - who'd go and who wouldn't - and the topic came around to Ellsbury.  When I said I thought Ellsbury might take a hometown discount the NESN guy said that wouldn't happen.  He said that Ells is strictly after the money and that he'd go wherever the money is and not even look back. 

Looks like he was right.

[/QUOTE]

Every expert and non expert said that.  Everybody on these boards said it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

don't worry Kim, the Yanks have no plans on signing Adrian Beltre 

Maybe we should re-sign Beltre and have him chase Ellsbury when he's on the bases. lol

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]lol..well, at least you'd know with AB at 3B, it's unlikely Ells would get any triples against the Sox Tongue Out 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I liked Ells (when he was healthy enough to play).   But you don't win a WS without a pitching staff.  The Sox had better lineups than the Yanks many years over their long history.  But they lacked pitching.

Now the Sox have better pitching than the Yanks - starters and closer.  Until that changes I feel fine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]lol..wel,l at least you'd know with AB at 3B, it's unlikely Ells would get any triples against the Sox Tongue Out 

[/QUOTE]

I can see it now...c'mon slide into third, go for it...lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

I hope that traitor is happy, the money won't be all that satisfying when the season is over in a few months year after year!

At least the Redsox got his best years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

now patiently waiting for softy to claim a finder's fee Sealed

[/QUOTE] or maybe he'll be too busy trying to recoup on those reverse pivot t-shirts...