In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nothing to like about this, but it is easy to understand. The Yankees way is always to spend the money to get to the top. They have 27 championships to show for it, so one cannot say that it doesn't work. As for Ellsbury, how can he turn down 153 million? Anyone would be crazy to turn that down. We may not like it , but it is a fact of life in baseball today.

[/QUOTE]

Agree but he 's still a dirt bag lol

[/QUOTE]

Give me 153 million , and you can call me anything you want.

[/QUOTE]

I know.. We all took the bait . Like you said .Cashman lays in the weeds says stuff about luxury tax then swoops in. I would go after choo, but they are invested in Bradley.

[/QUOTE]

Bradley is overrated

[/QUOTE]

I said I would go after Choo or Beltran you can move bad contracts in baseball Agone? Crawford? Fielder? But I think a choo or Beltran contract would not be bad at this point as long as if they stay healthy that's the only concern.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

[QUOTE]

As far as I know, John Henry has as much, or more , money as does Steinbrenner.  But I think it is wonderful that we have so many posters trying to save him money . I am sure he deeply appreciates it.

[/QUOTE]

I agree real bad move on Cherrington or Luchinno's part. Lucky Larry set the fans up for this with the quote "You cannot fall in love with your veterans". Cheap Larry, real cheap with all the money you made on the playoffs this year. So far Ellsbury is gone, Saltalamachia, and I am wondering about Napoli too. Larry set us up big time for the off season this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nothing to like about this, but it is easy to understand. The Yankees way is always to spend the money to get to the top. They have 27 championships to show for it, so one cannot say that it doesn't work. As for Ellsbury, how can he turn down 153 million? Anyone would be crazy to turn that down. We may not like it , but it is a fact of life in baseball today.

[/QUOTE]

Agree but he 's still a dirt bag lol

[/QUOTE]

He has two rings with this team and now he wants the cash. Bad move on our part.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

As far as I know, John Henry has as much, or more , money as does Steinbrenner.  But I think it is wonderful that we have so many posters trying to save him money . I am sure he deeply appreciates it.

Gale, would you have wanted the Sox to sign him to that contract? Crawford was a hard lesson learned,  no? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

All teams have their limits, Elles bury on the DL and diminished skills say in about 2 years will seriously hurt their team. What about Gardner?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL!!!  Is anybody actually mad at this deal?  This cripples the Yankees for years.  $150M+ for a player who relies on speed and will be in his 30's throughout the whole contract?  When will they ever learn?

[/QUOTE]

Forget the money. 

The yankees now have an excellent CF for the next 3 seasons - they will worry about years 4 - 7 later.

Meanwhile the Sox have no CF and Beltran is signing with the Royals. 

Victorino in CF is not a good option; especially if injuries are a concern

[/QUOTE]

I would think a big deal is in the works via trade.  Ben isn't dumb.  The farm is loaded with talent and he wasn't going to spend 150M+ on a center fielder in his 30s whose dominant attribute is speed.  I can see why people are worried but I would advise that people be patient.  In Ben I Trust!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gale, would you have wanted the Sox to sign him to that contract? Crawford was a lesson learned, the hard way, no? 

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury is a good player and the Yankees will spend away like crazy to build a team around him. Cano will be next to sign with them at least JayZ will screw them good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree real bad move on Cherrington or Luchinno's part. Lucky Larry set the fans up for this with the quote "You cannot fall in love with your veterans". Cheap Larry, real cheap with all the money you made on the playoffs this year. So far Ellsbury is gone, Saltalamachia, and I am wondering about Napoli too. Larry set us up big time for the off season this year.

[/QUOTE]

Larry and Ben just got us a WS championship and you are criticizing them now?  You have no idea what they are going to do.  I think they have earned some trust.  No way they should have paid Ells 22 million a year for 7-8  years.  That is lunacy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

All teams have their limits, Elles bury on the DL and diminished skills say in about 2 years will seriously hurt their team. What about Gardner?

IDK about 2, B, but definately 5. His speed will significantly decline 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gale, would you have wanted the Sox to sign him to that contract? Crawford was a lesson learned, the hard way, no? 

[/QUOTE]

It is not just about this deal. So many posters on here are always trying to economize. Always trying to play small market G.M.  This is not a small market. It costs money to sign the top players. The Sox have the money. There will always be flops like Crawford , but that should not deter them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is no way to spin this as "no big deal"

It's a big deal.  Regardlesss of the money - the sox now have a huge hole in OF and the Yankees now have a great CF.

Remember when sox tried to sign Bernie williams?  It never happens that way.  It's a one way street from Boston to NYY

[/QUOTE]

Well said, 100 percent correct. Luchinno and Ben jerked him around and the Red Sox have made a lot of money this year. This team over achieved this year.

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious--they offered him the same money as Pedroia--you are telling me you would have paid him $153 M --seriously--and they jerked him around --come back down to earth and read what the rest of Red Sox Nation is saying---you are on an island that is floating out to sea.

[/QUOTE]

He is a better player than Pedroia, smell the coffee and was worth a lot more. Now we have a hole in Centerfield, no leadoff hitter. This is not good and it weakened us tremendously but we did get AJ. Great move Ben. 

[/QUOTE]

really? are you going to whine that we didnt spen 22M per for 7years on a speed guy?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So JBAY ,do you think Bradley is ready for CF every day. Would you take a run at choo. We are a big market team we can spend and keep the prospects. The sox can have the cake and eat it to. Bout you know have a young player at 3b SS who I think is going to be great and CF not to mention a stop gap C is that fine with you. If you think choo is worth the $ you get him if not fine to. we all need to stop worrying about henrey's money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Larry and Ben just got us a WS championship and you are criticizing them now?  You have no idea what they are going to do.  I think they have earned some trust.  No way they should have paid Ells 22 million a year for 7-8  years.  That is lunacy.

[/QUOTE]

AJ P does not exactly blow up my anyone's skirt. I am tired of hearing about catching prospects, everyone forget Lavarnway who who suppose to be our catcher of the future. He cannot hit anymore and Jackie Bradley is no Ellsbury. I love the Red Sox but the reality was that the team overachieved and we have lost Ellsbury, Saltalamachia and I suspect Napoli is next. I guess you cannot fall in love with your veterans like Luck Larry says. I love pedroia but he is not a 100 million dollar player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is not just about this deal. So many posters on here are always trying to economize. Always trying to play small market G.M.  This is not a small market. It costs money to sign the top players. The Sox have the money. There will always be flops like Crawford , but that should not deter them.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think it's about economizing, gale, as much as BIG contracts that will put the organization in a strangle hold and keeps them from moving forward. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL!!!  Is anybody actually mad at this deal?  This cripples the Yankees for years.  $150M+ for a player who relies on speed and will be in his 30's throughout the whole contract?  When will they ever learn?

[/QUOTE]

Forget the money. 

The yankees now have an excellent CF for the next 3 seasons - they will worry about years 4 - 7 later.

Meanwhile the Sox have no CF and Beltran is signing with the Royals. 

Victorino in CF is not a good option; especially if injuries are a concern

[/QUOTE]

I would think a big deal is in the works via trade.  Ben isn't dumb.  The farm is loaded with talent and he wasn't going to spend 150M+ on a center fielder in his 30s whose dominant attribute is speed.  I can see why people are worried but I would advise that people be patient.  In Ben I Trust!

[/QUOTE]

loaded with talent? like maybe one or two guys but tell me how the Sox are loaded with talent in their farm system

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

JBAY excuse my spelling stupid iPad lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Sign naps OR drew, and Choo OR beltran and we are good.  A trade of a SP plus a player to upgrade a position would also be good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is no way to spin this as "no big deal"

It's a big deal.  Regardlesss of the money - the sox now have a huge hole in OF and the Yankees now have a great CF.

Remember when sox tried to sign Bernie williams?  It never happens that way.  It's a one way street from Boston to NYY

[/QUOTE]

Well said, 100 percent correct. Luchinno and Ben jerked him around and the Red Sox have made a lot of money this year. This team over achieved this year.

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious--they offered him the same money as Pedroia--you are telling me you would have paid him $153 M --seriously--and they jerked him around --come back down to earth and read what the rest of Red Sox Nation is saying---you are on an island that is floating out to sea.

[/QUOTE]

He is a better player than Pedroia, smell the coffee and was worth a lot more. Now we have a hole in Centerfield, no leadoff hitter. This is not good and it weakened us tremendously but we did get AJ. Great move Ben. 

[/QUOTE]

really? are you going to whine that we didnt spen 22M per for 7years on a speed guy?

[/QUOTE]

All AL34 ever does is whine.  Look at last off season...You had to figure the whiners would be out in full force after this move.  They all just finished their giant "sheet" burgers after the Sox just won their 3rd Championship in 10 Years, so they are hungry for more.  This board needs the whiners of the world.  I love reading this stuff!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

F it.....let's sign Cano, put him at third and move Middlebrooks to first.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Now the Yanks can pay another big contract player to languish on the DL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

So JBAY ,do you think Bradley is ready for CF every day. Would you take a run at choo. We are a big market team we can spend and keep the prospects. The sox can have the cake and eat it to. Bout you know have a young player at 3b SS who I think is going to be great and CF not to mention a stop gap C is that fine with you. If you think choo is worth the $ you get him if not fine to. we all need to stop worrying about henrey's money.

[/QUOTE]

IDK, stink, but he may be, if given the chance to play at the MLB level, everyday.  I wouldn't mind taking a run a Choo, for the right price. These big contracts are not the way to go, IMO. It puts teams in a strangle hold and keeps the team from moving forward and making signing they need to improve. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

The Hot Stove went from frigid to nuclear in one day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol I'm at that point too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mainevent1836. Show mainevent1836's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol I'm at that point too.

[/QUOTE]

Not gonna lie this crossed my mind

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Or Beltran for CF